• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I have been on MFSR this week. Without getting into spoiler-ish stuff, I just wanted to express my disappointment that the particular role/job that is clearly most popular on this ride is apparently not available to lone guests, like myself. This has been true whether it's the Single Rider queue or the regular queue...
I've tried to give away my pilot card to single guests and been turned down on more than one occasion! Let's hope our paths cross on the ride this week -- if I get a pilot card, it's going up for grabs!

I have been on MFSR this week. Without getting into spoiler-ish stuff, I just wanted to express my disappointment that the particular role/job that is clearly most popular on this ride is apparently not available to lone guests, like myself. This has been true whether it's the Single Rider queue or the regular queue. I understand that the Single Rider queue would have to operate this way, by its nature, but they are doing the same thing in the regular queue as well. It's always some version of "How many?" "Just me" "Okay, hang on one second" and then I get the leftovers. This has been going on since Sunday.

Now, that aside, I have liked the ride every time I've been on it (which is a lot). The rushing hordes of un-blocked passholders and arriving D23 attendees did not come to pass; I was there tonight and at one point the regular queue dipped to 25 minutes. Maybe they're all coming tomorrow. Anyway, I will try again to request the spot I want tomorrow and maybe my luck will change.
I would specifically ask if you can wait for a pilot spot. CMs are usually very accommodating in this way and may just have you step to the side for a minute.

That was not my experience in Disneyland at the end of June. I'm solo and I did Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run 5 times over 2 days, and I got pilot x1, engineer x1 and gunner x3. I did single rider all 5 times.
I think it's changed a little bit since then. When you get in single rider now, they tell you, you will most likely get engineer, and if you want a different role you will have to trade amongst the group you are assigned with.

I've tried to give away my pilot card to single guests and been turned down on more than one occasion! Let's hope our paths cross on the ride this week -- if I get a pilot card, it's going up for grabs!
Then either something has changed, or more likely it's just bad luck. I'm going to find out pretty soon. :scratchin

I think it's changed a little bit since then. When you get in single rider now, they tell you, you will most likely get engineer, and if you want a different role you will have to trade amongst the group you are assigned with.
I'm disturbed he said even in the regular line he had no chance at Pilot. As a solo traveler I have to be a party of one and if I'm waiting in the regular line I want to be treated the same as everyone else.

I'm disturbed he said even in the regular line he had no chance at Pilot. As a solo traveler I have to be a party of one and if I'm waiting in the regular line I want to be treated the same as everyone else.
The problem is that they ALWAYS seem to give out the cards in order now, so each time they make a grouping, the people they start with are the pilots. They’re not usually going to start a grouping with a single person, and you can’t request positions on MFSR- I saw someone suggest that, but it’s not practical; there’s nowhere for people to wait, really, and they’d have a giant line of people waiting to be pilots and it wouldn’t work. Having ridden upwards of 20 times (including yesterday), I understand why they don’t allow it.

What I’ve seen work is “requesting” in a roundabout way. For instance, when they ask how many in your party, you could say, “one, and I’ve never gotten to be a pilot yet!” That would potentially give you a chance if you hit a sympathetic CM... but it would depend on the numbers for the groups around you.

It's been my experience that the two people closest to the entrance of the holding area are usually given pilot. So if you can squeeze your way over to that side as a single rider or small group it could increase your chances of being a pilot.

The problem is that they ALWAYS seem to give out the cards in order now, so each time they make a grouping, the people they start with are the pilots. They’re not usually going to start a grouping with a single person, and you can’t request positions on MFSR- I saw someone suggest that, but it’s not practical; there’s nowhere for people to wait, really, and they’d have a giant line of people waiting to be pilots and it wouldn’t work. Having ridden upwards of 20 times (including yesterday), I understand why they don’t allow it.

What I’ve seen work is “requesting” in a roundabout way. For instance, when they ask how many in your party, you could say, “one, and I’ve never gotten to be a pilot yet!” That would potentially give you a chance if you hit a sympathetic CM... but it would depend on the numbers for the groups around you.
So if I'm the NEXT person in the regular line, I feel I should be given the top card on the pile. They can fill in the group with a single rider for #6 if they need to. That being said, I will hope to ride multiple time and if I get the same role over and over, I think I will politely say something.

It's been my experience that the two people closest to the entrance of the holding area are usually given pilot. So if you can squeeze your way over to that side as a single rider or small group it could increase your chances of being a pilot.
The last 3 times I’ve done MFSR in the stand by line we asked for pilot and they had no issue giving it to us. On Saturday I was in a group of 4 and they wanted us to join a group of 2, but since we wanted pilot positions, they had us wait in the middle part, pulled 4 single riders. Then had us go and gave us pilot cards.

So if I'm the NEXT person in the regular line, I feel I should be given the top card on the pile. They can fill in the group with a single rider for #6 if they need to. That being said, I will hope to ride multiple time and if I get the same role over and over, I think I will politely say something.
Ask nicely. The worst case scenario is they don’t give it to you.

Ask nicely. The worst case scenario is they don’t give it to you.
I rode again tonight, but nothing worked. My experience all week has been that when they do the "How many?" thing in the regular queue, and the answer is "one," you are de-prioritized no matter what you try to do to avoid it. Still, as I mentioned before, the ride is super-cool and I still like it even though I will not get the position I prefer. Also, I purchased a Millennium Falcon-themed key chain that says "Pilot" from a SWGE gift shop, allowing me to imply falsely that I was the pilot. :thumbsup2

I rode again tonight, but nothing worked. My experience all week has been that when they do the "How many?" thing in the regular queue, and the answer is "one," you are de-prioritized no matter what you try to do to avoid it. Still, as I mentioned before, the ride is super-cool and I still like it even though I will not get the position I prefer. Also, I purchased a Millennium Falcon-themed key chain that says "Pilot" from a SWGE gift shop, allowing me to imply falsely that I was the pilot. :thumbsup2
That is very frustrating. Everybody should have an equal chance that waits in the regular line in my opinion. Do they do the same with parties of 2? My husband and I will be there in a couple of weeks and I know he'd like to have a chance at pilot at least once.

That is very frustrating. Everybody should have an equal chance that waits in the regular line in my opinion. Do they do the same with parties of 2? My husband and I will be there in a couple of weeks and I know he'd like to have a chance at pilot at least once.
I was a pilot as a party of two this past Wednesday as well as the Thursday before. If they call out for a “party of two!?” down the line, though, and you raise your hand, you’ll end up as engineers because that means they’re filling a group and you’ll be last.

Unpopular opinion: I think hyperspace mountain (though it is an overlay) is a better Star wars ride than smuggler's run. Have been on it twice now. Was engineer and Gunner. I like the falcon waiting area.

It's just... Delivering cargo sounds like a game I'd play on an app and get bored with it in 10 minutes.

I think they easily could have just themed the ride to Hondo selling simulator runs in the famous millennium falcon. Then you could do the death Star, asteroid field, Kessel run or second death Star.

Even though it's in the falcon's cockpit, I'm still just delivering coaxium. It's really not that exciting to me.

At least on hyperspace I feel like I'm flying an xwing in a star wars space battle.

I was a pilot as a party of two this past Wednesday as well as the Thursday before. If they call out for a “party of two!?” down the line, though, and you raise your hand, you’ll end up as engineers because that means they’re filling a group and you’ll be last.

DH and I have ridden as a party of 2 eight or nine times now and most of the time end up as engineers and once in a while gunners. Only once as a party of 2 have we been pilots, and that was when we ended up called in first in a set of three parties of 2 in a row. We have done the thing of avoiding stepping forward when they call for parties of 2 and still ended up as engineers. We aren't the type to be too assertive about this kind of thing but did decide to talk to some CMs at the ride back in July after we had been engineers again about the way they distribute cards and how it seems to disadvantage parties of two and single riders and ask for some strategies we could employ. They pretty much shrugged and said yeah that's frustrating and the gist of their answer was to try to trade with others called up with you or you can try to ask for an alternative of the CM handing out the cards but basically this is how we load this ride and it will just depend on if you get a CM who wants to break pattern or make extra effort.

I think I'm just not going to stress being a pilot on my next trip. I don't understand why first card can't go to first person but I will try to just enjoy the land and being in the falcon. I'm not a big gamer but if I ride more than 5 times I would like to try all the positions.

Unpopular opinion: I think hyperspace mountain (though it is an overlay) is a better Star wars ride than smuggler's run. Have been on it twice now. Was engineer and Gunner. I like the falcon waiting area.

It's just... Delivering cargo sounds like a game I'd play on an app and get bored with it in 10 minutes.

I think they easily could have just themed the ride to Hondo selling simulator runs in the famous millennium falcon. Then you could do the death Star, asteroid field, Kessel run or second death Star.

Even though it's in the falcon's cockpit, I'm still just delivering coaxium. It's really not that exciting to me.

At least on hyperspace I feel like I'm flying an xwing in a star wars space battle.
I have ridden HSM before and not sure if Disney enhanced it this time, but I really liked it. MFSR is just a souped up Star Tours. I would agree with you - I liked HSM more than MFSR.

BSO feels half finished with only MFSR. Because it IS half finished. It is cool walking around BSO. I wouldn’t say it is disappointing. But it is not such a WOW thing.

:wizard:

At least if the ride had more than one "mission"...

I don't get it. Star Tours, Guardians of the Galaxy, and many other rides are different every time you ride them... why stick with the same story here every time?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter