The usual theory about people waiting for Star Wars blah blah blah. We were hoping to hit in between Christmas and the next holiday weekend. It's our delayed holiday celebration, and the first trip for our 2 year old grandson. My biggest hope is to not have rain, but seeing the new Star Wars ride would have been cool, since the other one looks like it would make me nauseous.

I'll be there Jan 12-19. Just curious, why do you think this will make the parks emptier?
I’m not the OP, but wouldn’t there be low(er) crowds that week? The Christmas and New Years holidays will have passed, and I would expect that, in general, AP holders excited to see ROTR would be waiting until the next week to go.

Last edited:
Just
What happens at savis though? Do you at least get a Krystal there? Is it just the "extras" that are out of stock?
Yes, you still get one when you make a lightsaber. Also, if you purchase the $50 holocron you can also purchase a blue or red crystal.

What happens at savis though? Do you at least get a Krystal there? Is it just the "extras" that are out of stock?
Yes, you still get one. My son picked out a blue one with his lightsaber but now wishes he had picked a color that is out of stock since you can purchase the red or blue with a holocron purchase.

We spent Monday and Tuesday at the parks. Went to GE both days. Rode Smuggler's Run three times (could have rode more but we were exhausted by the end of day two). The area is amazing. So well themed, down to the smallest details.

People - go to DL and go now. The low crowds are amazing. We go to WDW several times a year and just thinking about how crowded GE is going to be at WDW gives me a headache. I'm already thinking we will go back to DL to experience Rise of the Resistance!

GE was had access open all day, both days we were there. Never closed.

I made reservations at 7am when they opened for Savi's at 1 and Oga's at 12. Oga's was incredible. I didn't realize it was only drinks, so I was a little disappointed, but the drinks are good. Really good. We waited maybe 10 - 15 minutes to place our order, but our server was crazy busy. He was very friendly though. My son had to down his drink to make it to Savi's on time.

Ronto Roasters - yummy!

Blue Milk - yummy but IMO overpriced at $8.

After Disneyland Forever on Tuesday night, we headed to GE. There was a mass of people entering Frontierland and I thought, "Oh, here we go. All these people are headed to GE. The wait time is about to sky rocket." But, no!! GE wasn't crowded at all. The wait for Smuggler's Run was 45 min, and when we exited it was only 30!

I'm was *not* happy to read the announcement this morning. We planned a Christmas trip to DL due to ROTR allegedly opening by the end of the year. We had to pony up for the signature plus pass to be covered. Now, it's not opening until January? Brutal. We also have a trip planned in January for the weekend of the 25th so that just turned into a zoo. Ugh. Had Iger (I think it was him) not made the comments that the ride would be open at the end of the year we would have just kept the January reservation and not bought the passes. It happens that we'll be at WDW for Marathon weekend so I guess we'll be riding it there first :( Assuming we can get on, that is--which is probably a big assumption. I'm not looking forward to FP+ reservations for that.

Yes Iger was the first to say "later this year" and then it was repeated in everything they put out. I get it, delays happen. But to me "later this year" meant they had plenty of buffer and could even open in Fall. The very early rumors of how bad the issues are proved accurate. Nice work those who got that scoop.

I am a terrible person- this news thrills me. I was so worried the new ride was going to open in October when we’re in Disneyland. I love Star Wars. I had preferred to not be there the first week (or month) that this new ride opens.

We're going in early November, and I feel the same way. I'm super relieved it won't be open yet, even though this may be our only trip (at least for several years).

I am a terrible person- this news thrills me. I was so worried the new ride was going to open in October when we’re in Disneyland. I love Star Wars. I had preferred to not be there the first week (or month) that this new ride opens.
This is me. We are doing a one-day trip in early December I think (me and two 11-year-olds, one who has never been to Disney) and I've been nervous that it was going to open right around then.

Ha! Me too! I was 99% sure it wouldn’t be open for my August trip, but it was a sigh of relief when I read that announcement earlier. I’m going the week before D23 when they unblock APs, crowds are already going to be crazy!

I'm bummed. We are going in October for an adults only trip. I know I will have a fantastic time, but I was so hoping it would be open!

Same! I was so hoping it would be open in time for our October trip. We’ll still have a great time...my mom has never been to Disneyland before, and it’s my first time back there in ages. But still, it’s a bummer.

I’m with you.... we just moved to San Diego and I was really looking forward to several Halloween visits go Disneyland without crazy RotR crowds.

Isn't January usually a slower month at Disneyland? Tricky Disney

Any bets that there will be paid sneak previews at Disneyland in December?

I mean, you won’t be the only person who thinks that... so it’ll probably be crowded. Low hours, low staff, low offering crowded.
Well you nailed the SWGE predictions! So can I get your opinion? If our choices were just before ROTR opens, the first week of February, the first week of March, or the last week of June/July before the 4th, when would you go?

We do not expect to ride ROTR even if it’s open and can deal with rain. We care about crowds to the extent any given time would be less crowded than the others, seeing all of SWGE except for ROTR, Savis/Droid Depot/Ogas, the availability of SWGE merchandise, and seeing the rest of the park. My son has never been to disney and DH and I haven’t been since we were kids ourselves.

Last edited:
Well you nailed the SWGE predictions! So can I get your opinion? If our choices were just before ROTR opens, the first week of February, the first week of March, or the last week of June/July before the 4th, when would you go?

We do not expect to ride ROTR even if it’s open and can deal with rain. We care about crowds to the extent any given time would be less crowded than the others, seeing all of SWGE except for ROTR, Savis/Droid Depot/Ogas, the availability of SWGE merchandise, and seeing the rest of the park. My son has never been to disney and DH and I haven’t been since we were kids ourselves.
Well, I hate making predictions because the one constant is how unpredictable crowds are, especially because so many factors are announced/happen last minute. Ticket deals, special events or offers, weather factors... these can all render the wisest, soundest predictions completely useless.

I wouldn’t go in January for a bunch of reasons, but if I make that a firm recommendation, I’m sure it will somehow turn out to be legendarily low crowds and you’ll be all, “curses upon that skyegirl1999 and her bogus predictions!”

February has been the “Monday” of the year for awhile - the weird time everyone expects to be empty, but isn’t. I honestly talk to more unhappy tourists in February than any other month by a long shot. But, with ROTR, probably no one expects it to be empty? And theoretically they’ll be prepared for crowds? So who the heck knows what will be up with February.

I like March and I love June at the parks. June is your best bet for the best park hours, which are more important than you realize (8am openings are key to life, especially since you’re not planning to stay late... although I’m still thinking that could change in a year). ☺ But that’s also a whole year away! So long!

So, I’d probably stick with March, but don’t quote me on that and don’t be mad at me if March turns out to be the worst. :rotfl2:

Well, I hate making predictions because the one constant is how unpredictable crowds are, especially because so many factors are announced/happen last minute. Ticket deals, special events or offers, weather factors... these can all render the wisest, soundest predictions completely useless.

I wouldn’t go in January for a bunch of reasons, but if I make that a firm recommendation, I’m sure it will somehow turn out to be legendarily low crowds and you’ll be all, “curses upon that skyegirl1999 and her bogus predictions!”

February has been the “Monday” of the year for awhile - the weird time everyone expects to be empty, but isn’t. I honestly talk to more unhappy tourists in February than any other month by a long shot. But, with ROTR, probably no one expects it to be empty? And theoretically they’ll be prepared for crowds? So who the heck knows what will be up with February.

I like March and I love June at the parks. June is your best bet for the best park hours, which are more important than you realize (8am openings are key to life, especially since you’re not planning to stay late... although I’m still thinking that could change in a year). ☺ But that’s also a whole year away! So long!

So, I’d probably stick with March, but don’t quote me on that and don’t be mad at me if March turns out to be the worst. :rotfl2:
Thank you!!! And no curses at all, lol. It’s all just tea leaf reading. Just before I read your reply I was telling DH that I was leaning toward staying with March. January is also so close to Christmas and our son’s birthday; we’d be cramming the whole years worth of fun into three weeks and then wallowing the rest of the year 😂

I’m feeling a call to June, but our son is SO EXCITED, I don’t think I could break it to him that he has to wait another four months. He already couldn’t wait to build a Droid, that he created this R2 unit 💜. And hey, if it turns out to be busy or merch is low, well then, all the more reason to come back in 2021, right? F1B41EBC-761F-4EDB-BEBF-5C0DAD5F5CF5.jpeg

I was initially sort of disappointed since we are going in November and would love to do ROTR, but it's our first time to Disneyland so there's already plenty of new stuff to do (including the rest of Galaxy's Edge). Plus we're going back to WDW next year so it will be nice to have another new thing then too. Plus if the change of plans makes it any less busy in mid-November well I guess that's a plus too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter