New shampoo/conditioner/body wash containers

A public restroom hand soap is not being rubbed with a loofah/wash rag that goes all over strangers bits.

A public restroom hand soap is not the same as shampooo and conditioner that goes on your head. The possibilty of pranks are endless, from Nair to hair dye to so many others i won't even get into.

Regardless it's my personal opinion. Call me silly or whatever but I'll stick to what makes me comfortable which is just using my own. Not knocking anyone else's preference. Use whatever makes you happy.

I mean no offense by this question, I'm genuinely curious. For those of you that are grossed out by the thought of these dispensers, does using a soap dispenser in a public restroom gross you out? People always have dirty hands when touching those and it seems like they could be tampered with just as easily.

I had them in my rooms at both Pop and Coronado. I didn't use them. Just thinking about the type of pranks people could do to them freaks me out. We just brought our own stuff and only used the individual face soaps they provided. Love those little facial soaps, they made my skin look so good. I hate the dispensers, they're gross to me. They were half empty when we checked in so that says it all. Yuck.

Yes, I’m not against less waste. But sharing body wash and shampoo with who knows? Not so much. My mind goes to what microbes are being sucked up those pumps. Someone using body wash on wash cloth and putting cloth up to nozzle to put more product in it after being where? :scared: I’ll be using the bar soap. Sad because I prefer body wash.

Yes, funny how people focus so closely on this item when everything else around them is probably 500X 'dirtier'. That shower your standing in at best had a quick wipe down, it is by no means sterilized and I guarantee there are more residues from previous guest than would be 'sucked up' by the soap pump. Heck, even the individual bottles were sitting in a cleaning cart getting random 'stuff' on them from the housekeeper and the dirt from all the other rooms.

Maybe it's a money saver.... but plastic is polluting the planet and hopefully will be going away and getting cleaned up soon. I use my fair share of plastic too... but it's an invention that's ruining ecosystems. So I see it as a 'good' decision.

Yikes! I agree with all of this. I get greg9x's point, but it's the pranks that are worrisome to me...people putting things in the dispensers..not so much the naturally shared germs and dirt of a hotel room.

A public restroom hand soap is not being rubbed with a loofah/wash rag that goes all over strangers bits.

A public restroom hand soap is not the same as shampooo and conditioner that goes on your head. The possibilty of pranks are endless, from Nair to hair dye to so many others i won't even get into.

Regardless it's my personal opinion. Call me silly or whatever but I'll stick to what makes me comfortable which is just using my own. Not knocking anyone else's preference. Use whatever makes you happy.

I'm not calling you silly. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm not too keen on the idea of the shampoo dispensers either, as they just seem cheap.

I'm not trying to start an argument either, just sharing my opinion. :) I would think that most people staying in a hotel are putting soap on a clean washcloth and then washing. With the dispensers being in the shower, I'd like to think the dispensers at least get wiped down with the rest of the shower when housekeeping cleans, being that they are right in the middle of the area that needs cleaned. In bathrooms, people could have all sorts of nastiness on their hands from just using the restroom and then touching the soap dispenser, which probably rarely if at all gets cleaned.

I would also like to think that most people aren't going to have the foresight to bring things like hair dye to Disney simply to put it in the shampoo dispenser as a prank. If someone did though, I bet Disney would find a better way of making the dispensers tamper-proof or getting rid of them altogether.

I know you weren't, it's an expression:)

I'm not calling you silly. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm not too keen on the idea of the shampoo dispensers either, as they just seem cheap.

I'm not trying to start an argument either, just sharing my opinion. :) I would think that most people staying in a hotel are putting soap on a clean washcloth and then washing. With the dispensers being in the shower, I'd like to think the dispensers at least get wiped down with the rest of the shower when housekeeping cleans, being that they are right in the middle of the area that needs cleaned. In bathrooms, people could have all sorts of nastiness on their hands from just using the restroom and then touching the soap dispenser, which probably rarely if at all gets cleaned.

I would also like to think that most people aren't going to have the foresight to bring things like hair dye to Disney simply to put it in the shampoo dispenser as a prank. If someone did though, I bet Disney would find a better way of making the dispensers tamper-proof or getting rid of them altogether.

Well, one could always dump out the contents of the bottles and call (or go to the desk) and ask for them to be replaced...I do not condone this, but it’s a choice available to you. A better choice would be to let them know at check-in that someone in your group is immuno-compromised (medically sensitive, etc) and you would like to have fresh bottles of each brought to your room. The bottles are small (smaller than the bottles of shampoo etc that I use at home), and in my experience, they actually get replaced when the bottle runs out, not refilled from a giant jug (wish I could say the same for my gym!). We ran out after two nights at the Pop Century, and the next day we had fresh bottles (I know they were fresh because I inconspicuously marked each one with a sharpie as a test). We didn’t even need to request new bottles; housekeeping automatically replaced them when they came to clean our room. As a reference to the bottle size, our bottles were nearly empty upon check-out (we stayed five nights, and at least I have very long hair). I was among those opposed to this prior to that stay, but I actually found I liked it. I don’t know that it would seem right in a club-level suite, but it felt like a good switch at the Pop Century.

The only places I have seen these is low-end/inexpensive motels. Perhaps this is changing.

Most definitely changing. I first saw these dispensers at a high-end hotel in New York City 2 years ago, and have continued to see them at other hotels in the city ever since. In fact, I was very surprised to still see individual bottles during our WDW trip last year. Not a low-end hotel thing by any means.

Also to the people squicked out by this - doesn't the body wash KILL germs? I mean, that is literally what you are using it for. So, anything "sucked up" from the last user would be dead?

Take your Clorox wipe when you get in there and clean it like you guys do the remote, etc. Anything on the interior should be dead...

Are the tops locked down, too, or just the bottles?

Also to the people squicked out by this - doesn't the body wash KILL germs? I mean, that is literally what you are using it for. So, anything "sucked up" from the last user would be dead?

Take your Clorox wipe when you get in there and clean it like you guys do the remote, etc. Anything on the interior should be dead...

Are the tops locked down, too, or just the bottles?
I don’t think they are killed. Someone who was a science teacher had posted in another thread on this topic that they did an experiment in class. They had a pump bottle of liquid hand soap at the classroom sink. Then after using it they tested it and found all sorts of microbes in it.
The unit is bolted to tub wall, but apparently easy to open. I haven’t seen units yet, they started installing just after our last visit.

Yes, funny how people focus so closely on this item when everything else around them is probably 500X 'dirtier'. That shower your standing in at best had a quick wipe down, it is by no means sterilized and I guarantee there are more residues from previous guest than would be 'sucked up' by the soap pump. Heck, even the individual bottles were sitting in a cleaning cart getting random 'stuff' on them from the housekeeper and the dirt from all the other rooms.

Maybe it's a money saver.... but plastic is polluting the planet and hopefully will be going away and getting cleaned up soon. I use my fair share of plastic too... but it's an invention that's ruining ecosystems. So I see it as a 'good' decision.
And this is why I bring Lysol wipes to hotel. I also wipe down my area on plane too, tray table, arm rests, etc.
I do agree that plastics are a big problem in our ecosystems. It’s time to change materials. I’ve seen “plastic” utensils
That are made out of corn starch used in some counter service restaurants that are biodegradable. Plastic bags that are biodegradable, many doggy bags are. Since I have dogs I’m always finding baggies in my jacket pockets. Once I reached into a pocket and my hand came out full of confetti. I apparently had a doggie bag in that pocket for awhile and it broke down.
I’m glad to see the trend where I live going away from plastic straws. Restaurants are either going without or using paper.

Yikes! I agree with all of this. I get greg9x's point, but it's the pranks that are worrisome to me...people putting things in the dispensers..not so much the naturally shared germs and dirt of a hotel room.

I have to agree, with all the school trips and teams using these room unsupervised I would not be using these dispensers. We usually bring our own anyway but it would not be funny.

We were at All Stars Sports last week and they were in the bathroom. The location worked fine for both me (height challenged) and my adult son. The only problem we had with them was the body wash was hard to rinse off, like impossible so a little goes a long way. As far as high end resorts having them, last year my honey and I stayed at a Sheraton on Jekyll Island, paid $550 a night and the pump bottles were in the shower there. We had the same problem with the shower gel there as well. Doesn't bother me in the least, I live on the edge and don't do anything other than wash my hands when I leave a public bathroom. No wiping down things with clorax, heck, I even walk bare foot on carpets in hotels and lay on the top of the bed with the covers still on them.

I am totally fine with it. The other ones were wasteful. It's interesting to me that people focus on microbes that get sucked up in there and then used to wash their bits. Yet sleep in a bed slept on by thousands of people, wipe said bits with washcloths and towels used by thousands of people, swim in public pools and water parks and stick their faces in water that have peoples unwashed butts in right next to them - yet worry about a soap dispenser on a wall. And seriously, what is so gross? Are we having mass public health emergencies over any of these "gross" things? No.

I have no horse in this race, as I have very sensitive skin and only use my own products I bring with me... but something I hadn't considered was the actual placement of these racks. In a renovated CSR room with shower (no tub), the rack was installed in the center of the wall opposite the shower head, halfway up. Coming back up after bending over to shave, I cracked the back of my head into the bottom of the rack. PSA - be careful around these things!

I have no horse in this race, as I have very sensitive skin and only use my own products I bring with me... but something I hadn't considered was the actual placement of these racks. In a renovated CSR room with shower (no tub), the rack was installed in the center of the wall opposite the shower head, halfway up. Coming back up after bending over to shave, I cracked the back of my head into the bottom of the rack. PSA - be careful around these things!

Ouch! Sorry that happened, thanks for the “heads up’”

Well, one could always dump out the contents of the bottles and call (or go to the desk) and ask for them to be replaced...I do not condone this, but it’s a choice available to you. A better choice would be to let them know at check-in that someone in your group is immuno-compromised (medically sensitive, etc) and you would like to have fresh bottles of each brought to your room. The bottles are small (smaller than the bottles of shampoo etc that I use at home), and in my experience, they actually get replaced when the bottle runs out, not refilled from a giant jug (wish I could say the same for my gym!). We ran out after two nights at the Pop Century, and the next day we had fresh bottles (I know they were fresh because I inconspicuously marked each one with a sharpie as a test). We didn’t even need to request new bottles; housekeeping automatically replaced them when they came to clean our room. As a reference to the bottle size, our bottles were nearly empty upon check-out (we stayed five nights, and at least I have very long hair). I was among those opposed to this prior to that stay, but I actually found I liked it. I don’t know that it would seem right in a club-level suite, but it felt like a good switch at the Pop Century.

I would only say that a family member is immuno-compromised if it is true. Otherwise it is a pretty lousy thing to do.

If someone has a huge problem with the dispensers they should bring their own from home, or buy some shampoo/body wash in the gift shop. Not lie about having a medical need for something if it isn't true.

Yes, I’m not against less waste. But sharing body wash and shampoo with who knows? Not so much. My mind goes to what microbes are being sucked up those pumps. Someone using body wash on wash cloth and putting cloth up to nozzle to put more product in it after being where? :scared: I’ll be using the bar soap. Sad because I prefer body wash.
I completely agree with you. Less waste is awesome, but I will not use that soap. People wash their bodies and then add more soap to their washcloth and it all touches. :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2: Completely gives me the willies!! :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

I mean no offense by this question, I'm genuinely curious. For those of you that are grossed out by the thought of these dispensers, does using a soap dispenser in a public restroom gross you out? People always have dirty hands when touching those and it seems like they could be tampered with just as easily.
I guess I see it differently. When I use soap in the bathroom, I'm pressing it and it is falling in my hand and then I wash. In the tub, it seems like those who use washcloths will touch their dirty washcloth (that has been ALL over them) and touch the bottle tips. It just seems yuckier!
I know I am sleeping on a mattress that a million people slept on, but I have to just not think about it because I can't bring my own mattress. I can bring my own soap though:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter