• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Screamscape rumor/DVC at Contemporary

Originally posted by Richyams
come on, they do enough to us, you aint got to go giving them ideas!!!

Really bad idea, it would never work, you should be ashamed even proposing it.

Ashamed im not! They had us paying $108.00 by the time they could no longer sell timeshares with the 2042 dateline.Now that they revamped the timetable only makes the dollar amount exceed what they thought was the end of the line.
Im sorry for not shadowing the truth and seeing it as it is .

Im on the Disney fan side and I dont like the way things are done.
They keep taking and we keep trying to get it back. Sorry if I said something out of place.Your Disney friend tiggerguy2000

We're another family that would jump on a monorail DVC resort! For years, my husband wouldn't stay at any resort but a monorail one. Then the room rates went sky high, and we adjusted. Then we wised up and bought DVC. :D

Sure looks like there's room between the Contemporary and the Transportation station for a resort, doesn't it?
http://www.disneypix.com/Multimedia/WholeProperty.jpg
I do think there is a savings advantage by joioning up wiht an exsisting resort, like sharing the expense of having a person on a check in desk 24hrs per day and all the other personal, common facilities that are needed to be on call or available for both resorts, especially if it's a smaller DVC addition. I don't know that we'd buy a monorail resort points, especially given thier current costs, but it would be fun to stay at using the 7 month window.

Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
I do think there is a savings advantage by joioning up wiht an exsisting resort, like sharing the expense of having a person on a check in desk 24hrs per day and all the other personal, common facilities that are needed to be on call or available for both resorts, especially if it's a smaller DVC addition. I don't know that we'd buy a monorail resort points, especially given thier current costs, but it would be fun to stay at using the 7 month window.

I agree,

I disagree that the monorail adds cost/points to the resorts they service. The initial construction cost is high but the operating cost are very low. From what I've read, monorails are 99.9% efficient. If construction cost is high and operating cost are high, monorails would not exist.

I think much will depend on the success of SSR but if that goes well I think DVC could be seen as the rescue venture for the less desirable parts of the Contemp that, while not as much of a "problem" as the Disney Institute was, has long been viewed as an under achiever at WDW. It would require a complete rework of the buildings at the Contemp, maybe even bulldozing them and starting again, but I think it's the resort that makes the most sense for Disney to turn into a "monorail DVC".

The Poly and GF are successful and popular as they are and I doubt Disney will want to give up the profit potential of those resorts unless things change dramatically. IMHO Disney see DVC as a useful tool for repairing areas that leak ( or in DI case Hemorrhage) valuable cash,they will try to shore up those leaks before moving on to other areas.

IMHO if the Contemp makes a decent fist of using all it's areas profitably then we'll see EPV first, if Disney starts to worry about an area that it feels is losing it money it is likely they will deal with that "problem" before starting on a new venture, that left alone is a zero/negligable cost

Exactly! As successful as DVC has been it has not occured in a vacuum...as DVC grows resort bookings at non-DVC have to be affected as former guests now book into DVC instead of the Poly, GF, CBR, PO, etc... There is a point at which DVC expansion is NOT in the resort's best interest--unless they are going to close some resorts...DVC does not expand the audience already coming to WDW--it locks them in--but does not increase the market share. So long as the Poly can book guests at $300+ a night regularly...why give those guests a cheaper long-term option? Sure you get a short term cash infusion now--but in the long run the Poly bookings might suffer overall...If the Contemporary can no longer draw the big bucks like a monorail resort should--then it is possible that DVC could solve that problem--but it also might eat into the bookings by guests who would stay there instead of the Poly and GF just to be on the monorail...the long-term savings might be enough to move those guests to the Contemporary and away from their preferred monorail resorts...and again the bottom line long term could be a losing proposition....

Up until this time DVC has not been used as a "fix". Neither BC nor WL was in any need at the times those villas were built. Rather it was a matter of DVC riding on the coattails of successful resorts. It remains to be seen whether the "fix" strategy works at SSR. In any case the strategy of building a DVC component of successful resorts has worked so well it's hard to imagine that DVC will abandon it.

Is there any evidence that bookings at BC and WL have suffered as a result of the DVC resorts adjoining them?

The point about DVC eating into deluxe resorts is a good one, but recent events indicate Disney prefers building DVC resorts to building new deluxe resorts. That's assuming that someone is actually coordinating an overall strategy.:rolleyes:

Wow! This sounds great, however, I do feel that certian aspects of the Contemporary are in need of refurbishment. Maybe a DVC resort would bring a fresher look to the entire resort.

I think a 5 story concrete building would look fine on the current site of the north wing. It really wouldn't make the place look that much different, and as long as they used the same general style of the south wing and put balconies the entire way across, it'd be perfect. ;)

I, for some strange reason, love the contemporary and the funky decor!!! We stayed there 3 times, in a garden wing, the one closest to the MK, always ground floor, so we could sit on our little porch and watch the Water Pagent. The grounds are nice, and the pool area is huge. Maybe I shouldn't hold out, but if I did an add-on, which I don't need at this point, 225 points is perfect for us. I would be buying there in a heartbeat!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter