New pool heat policy? ***update see post 549 ****

Katya said:
That may, or may not, be true. If it is, they probably should come out and say so. And if it is the case, however, should DVC members be allowed to have a say in the matter? It is possible that a member might prefer "adequately" (admittedly, a very subjective term!) heated pools over a mystery increase/decrease in dues.

With energy costs skyrocketing, Disney may be worried about the 15% cap on maintenance fees. In our area, Baltimore Gas & Electric is planning to raise prices 70%. Deregulation is supposed to allow competition to lower electric prices but that’s not going to happen.

The funny thing is, BGE had record profits under the old rules. Under deregulation, the electric companies are going to follow the oil company’s lead and fleece the consumer for every penny they can.

No one mentioned a money "waster" with turning the heat down on the pools... What are they paying the life guards for if no one can stand to swim because it's too cold?

My DH & DD always swim on our Christmas trips and this past year they were in the pool MAYBE 5 minutes because it was too cold.

It looked like the lifeguards were bored because there was NO ONE swimming and so nothing to do and no one to talk to.

DVCPAT said:
With energy costs skyrocketing, Disney may be worried about the 15% cap on maintenance fees.

Disney is lowering the temperature of all their pools, not just DVC ones. However, DVC members specifically pay for amenities with their dues. Please don't give Disney a pass on this one.

Personally, if I couldn't swim when we go to Florida in January I would probably sell our points and go elsewhere. I'm going to relax and enjoy the sun and facilities.

I have said for a long time that Disney does not like that DVC members go back year after year after year. We tend to notice everything. Honestly, do you really think they want that??? Of course not! They want a guest who comes in for 5 or 6 days, wonders around aimlessly under the Disney Magic spell and doesn't complain about anything that isn't right. One time guests who are there for a few days don't know to complain about stains on the carpet, long bus waits, cold pools or thermostats in the room that make it impossible to sleep at night, etc. DVC members do however notice these things and we are vocal about it.

It is no wonder management hates us. We actually notice when they are trying to pull one over on us. I can just imagine the conversations they will be having today when they get a bunch of emails on this subject.

I wrote my email. We pay dues, we have a right to speak up on the matter.

Thanks guys. I sent mine! :thumbsup2 Hope it works. I have no sympathy for Disney. They make a fortune off of us in so may ways, ecspecially those of us who go 1-4 (or more) times a year. For what they charge per night ....pleeaase they can afford it!
:wizard:

AMcaptured said:
Disney is lowering the temperature of all their pools, not just DVC ones. However, DVC members specifically pay for amenities with their dues. Please don't give Disney a pass on this one.

Personally, if I couldn't swim when we go to Florida in January I would probably sell our points and go elsewhere. I'm going to relax and enjoy the sun and facilities.

I have said for a long time that Disney does not like that DVC members go back year after year after year. We tend to notice everything. Honestly, do you really think they want that??? Of course not! They want a guest who comes in for 5 or 6 days, wonders around aimlessly under the Disney Magic spell and doesn't complain about anything that isn't right. One time guests who are there for a few days don't know to complain about stains on the carpet, long bus waits, cold pools or thermostats in the room that make it impossible to sleep at night, etc. DVC members do however notice these things and we are vocal about it.

It is no wonder management hates us. We actually notice when they are trying to pull one over on us. I can just imagine the conversations they will be having today when they get a bunch of emails on this subject.

I wrote my email. We pay dues, we have a right to speak up on the matter.

I’m not giving Disney a free pass. You do need to try and understand why Disney would try to conserve energy. The reality is, energy costs are going to skyrocket in the future. Maybe it’s Disney’s plan to float the energy (money) conserving methods of containing costs, when enough people complain; they can say they honestly tried to keep costs down. Then they can pass the extra costs along to the members.

Who's going to lead the march of pool thermometer carrying DVCers that are going to collect some real temperture measurements. That will put an end to the speculation on how cold is cold.

One of the reasons we purchased DVC over Fairfield was because we stayed at the Ocean Walk in Daytona before our trip to OKW and at the Oceanwalk we could not swim in the pool. Major Disappointment as it was sooooo cold.

We arrived at OKW and the pools were warm and we had a wonderful time swimming during the entire trip.

After that trip, we decided to purchase DVC!!!!

The reason we leave the great white north is to be able to take advantage of things we cannot do at home.

I am definately writting in on this one.

The time us Candians like to travel is during the cold months and to visit with pools we cannot swim in will be a MAJOR Disappointment.....just like Fairfield!

Under deregulation, the electric companies are going to follow the oil company’s lead and fleece the consumer for every penny they can.

Yup, that's the standard outcome of deregulation. :mad:

About 5 minutes after my email I recieved the canned response

Thank you for submitting your e-mail request. A Vacation Advisor will research your request and
respond via return e-mail within 2 business days. However, we sometimes receive an unusually high
volume of e-mails which may delay our response to you.

Disney Vacation Club

I hope they are swamped with emails, lets go guys - speak up :woohoo:

I suggested that there would be a real uprising of the members if they did not attend to this issue.

Even though I'm not a huge swimmer, I do support warm pools. My wife swims more than I do.

Please don't get me wrong here, this is not a hostile post. I'm only trying to point out that we can't have it both ways; all the extras, and low fees.

With that said, I'm going to bookmark this thread and see if anyone here is griping about fee increases come December.

Personally I am a fan of paying higher fees and receiving all the goodies... Most of all superb maintenance and housekeeping. :smokin:

MG

I agree with that comment - I too would rather see the fees go up to make sure the heat in the pools stays on and services is of high quality. People need to realize costs go up every year and there is no way you can continue to maintain and improve a property for the same amount of money year after year. In order to protect your investment and enjoyment of DVC, we need to bite the bullett and realize higher dues will also be necessary.

Jan

Johnnie Fedora said:
How about the HH pools. Anyone been lately?

We were just there a week ago and the main pool was freezing...nobody swimming in it. Even kids that braved it were only in for a minute then ran to the hot tub which was where everyone else was. We're headed home for the first time to SSR in April and will not be very upset if the pool is cold :furious:

Oh, I am perfectly cool (har har har) with them possibly raising costs to keep the pools warm. Of course, I think there should also be a cost analysis to make sure people aren't being bilked. ;) It's more the fact that its a silent change.

Btw, I JUST got my documentation for finalizing my buying 210 points in SSR. Scared. AUGH. Furiously reading everything over and over again. Blaaaahhh..

Seven days. eek.

You know that they don't have to advise us of every decision Disney & DVC makes regarding the resorts. In fact, they don't even need to follow a poll when they ask for it themselves. There was a poll of Members at OKW several years ago about adding the pool slide and raising dues to cover it. The overwhelmng response was "No." It was added anyway. While you may not like the new policy, and are certainly welcome to make your feelings known, warnings in your letters of "member uprisings", etc., really make members look like a bunch of hostile yahoos, and are quite counter productive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter