New pool heat policy? ***update see post 549 ****

Now, now lets keep it civil. This is a very interesting and important thread and I would hate to have a moderator feel the need to intervene and close it..smjj

You know, I didn't think much of it at the time, but when we were staying at the WL last month - we had a view of the WL villas pool. :sunny:

So after spending lots of time in the main pool, one night I stayed in the room & my DH took the kids to the Villas pool and I watched from the balcony. Well within 3 minutes they were heading back to the main pool. When I asked why, they told me the Villas pool was at least 10 degrees cooler than the main pool. :confused3

The hot tubs were REALLY HOT though!!

Now, now lets keep it civil. This is a very interesting and important thread and I would hate to have a moderator feel the need to intervene and close it..smjj
Well, it's Page 5 anyway -- y'know how it goes: Everything that needs to be said in a thread is said within the first four pages. :wave2:

Several people were complainting about the pools not being heated....

they were told they were being heated.....

Disney if they need to cut costs - had better look somewhere else.

especially with the DVC resorts - they aren't paying the costs at these resorts we are.

The whirlpool tubs are heated to around 104 degrees, so I guess if health is the main concern, Disney must only be interested in the health of the pool swimmers.

Last week while I stayed at SSR, my sister and her family, were staying at the Grosvenor Hotel just down the road. Let me first say that the Grosvenor will never be mistaken for the Four Seasons. But, my family and I actually spent one day at her pool area because the pool was warmer. This was our first stay at SSR since becoming a member and we leave our "deluxe" resort to go over and swim at a "value" hotel. Talk about embarrassing.

I know some on this board were questioning whether the pools were really that cold. Believe me, I was there. The fact of the matter is, the SSR pool is not that deep (ave 3.5 feet deep). Heck the Gulf of Mexico will be heated to the 80's by mother nature in a few months.

I just got out of the pool at BCV (really, bathing suit is still wet) and my DD and I were commenting on how unheated it seemed to be. A nice sunny day, so it should have felt refreshing, instead it just felt COLD!! We'll go try Stormalong Bay later to see if it is warmer!

bicker said:
So what you're saying is that it is actually MY money that they're saving, by turning the heater down three degrees. Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

That may, or may not, be true. If it is, they probably should come out and say so. And if it is the case, however, should DVC members be allowed to have a say in the matter? It is possible that a member might prefer "adequately" (admittedly, a very subjective term!) heated pools over a mystery increase/decrease in dues.

bicker said:
Good thing the pools are STILL heated.

Yes, but according to skinwitness reports, possibly not at a "Disney/world class" level.

This may all just be anecdotal evidence, or a temporary problem. But I'm sure people would just like an answer, seeing that it could impact many vacations and vacationers this year, and years to follow.

smjj said:

Oh gosh. :/ I hope no one is taking my (few) posts out of context! I'm only quoting people to continue the conversation and connect it to earlier posts. Nothing personal is meant. :)

bicker said:
Well, it's Page 5 anyway -- y'know how it goes: Everything that needs to be said in a thread is said within the first four pages. :wave2:

EXACTLY! And now, let me tell you how to find the treasure map that leads to the Magical Amulet of Magic Magicians Who Do Magic! Only we who have the fortitude to go through to page 5 will know! MUAHAHAHAHAHA! Excelsior! :woohoo:

bicker said:
I would chalk it up to a little mob mentality. Many folks are getting very upset about something which most every other resort in the world could change without most guests even noticing.

Sorry to disagree here Bicker but have you actually used a WDW pool since the policy change? I have and it was horribly cold. No resort in the world could change this without guests noticing. It isn't just a slight drop in temperature, it is dramatic. It was so cold my two year old daughter was crying, shivering and sobbing but she wanted to stay in because she loves to swim! Braver than me.....

Mandy :sunny:

Just a little PS to my previous post, I stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel just two weeks ago and the pool was significantly warmer!!! No contest.

Would you please take a moment to express your opinion to

"Disney Vacation Club" <members@disneyvacationclub.com>
and
"WDW Guest Communications" <WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com>

FYI - Today I got an email about would I like to do an Add-on at OKW.... too funny! Not if the pool is COLD, I wouldn't....

Disclaimer: The add-on email came from:
"Disney Vacation Club" <disneyvacationclub@dvc.chtah.com>

Goldi

goldilocks_63 said:
Would you please take a moment to express your opinion to

"Disney Vacation Club" <members@disneyvacationclub.com>
and
"WDW Guest Communications" <WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com>

I agree. Things won't change unless we make a lot of noise. If they have really done this as a cost-saving measure, then it is going to take a lot of speaking out to get them to spend the money to heat the pools to a comfortable level again. Seems worth the time to me to send a brief email.

;)
Maistre Gracey said:
I think it's the new strategy to keep out pool crashers. :smokin:

MG

:thumbsup2 Not sure if it's great minds think alike or evil minds, but I was about to post the same thing when I read yours. :rotfl2:

If it is due to cost cutting to save money, I am sure it is a result of Disney have to recoop all the lost revenue from mug and dining plan abuse. I knew it would come to this. That money has to come from somewhere. ;)

My dues just went up at OKW significantly - That pool better be swimmable when we go!!!!!

Sent the following off this evening...Please feel free to reuse/recycle.

There has been a great deal of discussion on the DIS boards (S
sponsored by the Timeshare Store) about the change in pool water temperatures at the DVC resorts. Several WDW employees have admitted, off the record, that pool temperatures were dropped as a cost-savings measure. Since the maintenance of these pools, including the associated utilities, are one of the things that I expect my annual dues to cover, I find this change to be outrageous. Contrary to popular belief, WDW is not always 85 degrees and sunny, and for those of us who travel during the low point season, this change seriously affects our ability to take full advantage of our homes. I strongly protest this change, and expect it to be reversed. If DVC needs additional funds for maintaining the resorts in the style to which members expect, it should make the case at the Annual Meetings.​

What will probably happen is that the idiots that made this decision are thinking "well, it's almost the summer and the heaters won't be a issue much longer. Let try and ignore it this year and by next year, we will try it again and hope no one notice". The thing is they are probably right...smjj

We were at VWL 2-26-3/4.

The pool there was cold, too cold for DH.
I swam in it two mornings while we were there, had the whole pool to myself. It was chillier than I recall WDW pools being. Usually they are very comfortable. I figured, heck I swim off the coast of Maine in summer, it can't be any worse!

We never did see a lot of people swimming this trip.

goldilocks_63 said:
Just called OKW, and spoke with staff there (not naming people, because I don't want to get anyone in trouble).....

They told me that upper management has made an initiative to turn all the pools down to 80 degrees for feature pools, 78 degrees for quiet pools, from a previous 84 - 86 degrees, as a cost savings measure.

I was also told, that a study was run, where it was shown how this effected negatively the resort guests, and they are doing it anyway....

The person said that the study was started when they lowered the pool temps, about 2 months ago, around January....

I tried to talk to the OKW manager, and the front desk didn't allow me to.... THey insisted that I talk to DVC member services about this issue.

So please everyone call MS, speak to management, and email your concerns to:

Disney Vacation Club <members@disneyvacationclub.com>

I'm madder than you know what right now... I am taking my parents to OKW, and they dislike Disney... they are only going there for the pool and sun, and now that will be a bust too!!!!

Goldi

Gee, we swim in Lake Michigan in the summer when the average water temp is in the 60s.

Lets see......build million dollar pool complexes (like SAB) then lower the temp so nobody uses it. Yea that makes sense.

But.....we saved enough energy to continue to cool the restaraunts in the MK when its 95 degrees and humid but DONT HAVE WALLS to hold the AC in much less closing doors on main street. :teacher:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter