Never stayed on Disney Property....

roozlilone

"Por favor mantengase alejado"
Where would you stay? Taking my mother on a last minute trip on February 5. She has never stayed on Disney property. Where should we stay?? I want to make it a trip she will never forget! PLEASE HELP! :guilty:

how much money are you willing to spend?

the Polyn is pretty nice - also very expensive.

I also like Pop Century - it is a value - so for WDW it is inexpensive.

I can't say money is not an object.... but I think I want to do one of the deluxes, just don't know which one? And which one would comfortably fit 3 adults and two children.

I would vote for a monorail resort for her first trip--I'd say either Grand Floridian or the Poly. The Contemporary is awful and so ugly--I would avoid it!

I've never been there, but everyone raves about the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I also hear lots of raves for the Boardwalk Inn...but from personal experience, I'd go with the Grand Floridian!

Staying anywhere on site will be a memorable experience.

How is your mom's health? Does she have any special needs? Can she walk long distances? If she has any special needs you should consider either a monorail resort or an Epcot resort because of the convenience of monorail and boat transportation.

If budget is an issue, the All-Star resorts and Pop Century are great deals. But transportation from them is strictly by bus, so a rental car makes a lot of sense.

If money is not a problem, stay at the Poly or GF. If you want to save a little money and still be at a Deluxe, the WL can hold 4 people and one in a crib.

I would book so though because I had read on the boards that the Disney Resorts are sold out or close because its Super Bowl Weekend in Jacksonville.
D.D.

My mom's in great health, thankfully so. I've personally stayed at the AKL, WL, Coronado, CBR, POFQ...never stayed at the GF. Trying to find a relaxing resort, if that makes any sense. My mom has had a tough year and this is a present from me to her so I want it to be very special! My husband and two kids are also coming so we have a space issue. I don't want to be on top of each other, so I need a good size room. I really like the AKL and been leaning towards that...but rooms seem kinda small for 5! I've always wanted to stay at the GF and I think I can still get my AP discount, so what do ya'll think! Are the rooms at GF pretty large? AKL or GF? I don't want to disappoint my MOM! Can you tell I'm stressed! Thanks for the help! :Pinkbounc

micmacmissy said:
I would vote for a monorail resort for her first trip--I'd say either Grand Floridian or the Poly. The Contemporary is awful and so ugly--I would avoid it!

i have to disagree about the cr . i think it is a great disney expierence and the location is key. We were just there and had one of the best disney trips ever!! :teleport:

roozlilone said:
My mom's in great health, thankfully so. I've personally stayed at the AKL, WL, Coronado, CBR, POFQ...never stayed at the GF. Trying to find a relaxing resort, if that makes any sense. My mom has had a tough year and this is a present from me to her so I want it to be very special! My husband and two kids are also coming so we have a space issue. I don't want to be on top of each other, so I need a good size room. I really like the AKL and been leaning towards that...but rooms seem kinda small for 5! I've always wanted to stay at the GF and I think I can still get my AP discount, so what do ya'll think! Are the rooms at GF pretty large? AKL or GF? I don't want to disappoint my MOM! Can you tell I'm stressed! Thanks for the help! :Pinkbounc
The "relaxing resort" part can be had by renting points from a DVC member, see the DVC rent/trade boards, and stay at OKW. A two bedroom there will more than solve the space issue, and absolutely provide the wow factor.

I vote for the GF. We just took my mom and dad there in October - their first visit - and they absolutely loved it. The trouble is they didn't want to leave the resort! LOL The location can't be beat for MK access (take the monorail there and the boat launch back), the ambience is so relaxing whether you're on your balcony, sitting by the quiet pool or enjoying the grand piano or orchestra in the gorgeous lobby. The rooms are 440 square feet versus 344 square feet at AKL. The GF rooms have 2 queen beds and a daybed (which you should request) and most rooms have full balconies. If you're goal is to pamper mom and really make an impression, I say go with the Grand!

We just got back from a stay at the Contemporary. Granted, the decore is not what I'd want in my living room, but it is so fun. Having the monorail come right through the building is so convenient. We stayed in the tower with a Magic kingdom view. Being able to lay in bed and watch the castle change colors all night and watch the fireworks every night was the most amazing and unforgettable part of the whole trip. The rooms are very large and would be quite adequate for your family. I admit that I haven't stayed at the other resorts mentioned, but the Contemporary was WAY COOL!

:boat: :rockband: :flower1: :flower: *I vote for the Poly, we stayed there in October 2003, they had just redone a lot of the rooms, and changed out the air/ventilation system, (clean air) and we stayed at the hawaii building, which is the concierge level, and got pampered! Every morning we would stroll down to the lounge and have delicious treats like pineapple breads, kona coffees, fruit, etc. and they always had treats for the kids like fresh baked cookies, fruit, pb & j's, m & m's, gummies! The evening meal was so wonderful, usually a couple of hot dishes, and all kinds of snacks, and then the desserts!! They also serve wine and liqueors (not sure of the spelling) like kahlua! Very nice...the staff at the front desk would help with any kind of special reservations for restaurants, shows, etc. We stayed on the 3rd floor, and our balcony overlooked the lagoon, every night we watched spectacular fireworks, and had a great view of the castle and the GF!! What a fairytale trip....actually, we did get the fairytale package so we got 7 nights for the price of 4!! I sure wish they'd have that again...Last but not least, we had 2 queen beds + a daybed, with a little table and chairs, and the balcony, it was very spacious! There was 3 of us adults and 2 kids, and we never felt cramped. You can also see the nightly electric water parade! Its a tropical paradise, the lobby and the whole resort area is fantastic. We did the water mice boats around the lagoon, and layed on the beach, enjoyed the pool (they have a noisier one with a slide and a quiet one) All in all, I'd stay there again in a heartbeat!!

Okay I've narrowed it down to AKL, GF or Boardwalk. Any opinions on these resorts? I've only stayed at the AKL so I don't know much about the GF or Boardwalk. Boardwalk is a little cheaper than GF, is it just as nice? Which resort would a 63 year old woman like the best? :cool1:

I don't think you can get anymore "relaxing" than the WL. This resort is small and quite and we loved every minute there. Though with 5 people you would definitely want a deluxe room or a villa.

BW can be party central (okay compared to OKW) - I would go with the GF - however if you think most of this trip will be spend at Epcot and Studios then go with BW.

you have stayed at AKL - so you know it - always a plus when you are bring a new person.

roozlilone said:
Okay I've narrowed it down to AKL, GF or Boardwalk. Any opinions on these resorts? I've only stayed at the AKL so I don't know much about the GF or Boardwalk. Boardwalk is a little cheaper than GF, is it just as nice? Which resort would a 63 year old woman like the best? :cool1:

The first thing to consider now that you have it narrowed down is does your mom like animals and Africa? This resort is completley centered arround viewing the animals so if she is not into animals then I wouldn't choose this one. Also the only transportation is by bus unless you have a car.

The Boardwalk and GF are both wonderful gorgeous resorts. The location of both is wonderful. The only thing the GF has over the BW is the monorail access. But the BW is within walking or boat distance to Epcot/MGM and the Boardwalk area shopping and entertainment district is fabulous.

I also think that BC or YC would be a nice relaxing resort. Great for the kids but nice and relaxing for adults as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter