Netflix is getting sued and I don’t agree with it

Is this the story about the father sewing after his daughter committed suicide after watching 13 reasons why? It looks like it was dismissed by a judge, but the father is going to appeal again.

Never saw that show, but sometimes networks create provocative content and act all innocent when something goes wrong. Noticed that the article says Netflix removed the episode scene where someone commits suicide.

Last edited:
Never saw that show, but sometimes networks create provocative content and act all innocent when something goes wrong. Noticed that the article says Netflix removed the episode where someone commits suicide.

nope just the Scene were they show her doing it

Never saw that show, but sometimes networks create provocative content and act all innocent when something goes wrong. Noticed that the article says Netflix removed the episode where someone commits suicide.

but not every show Is for everyone I still have not seen dumbo or Bambi parents have to research and determine what shows movies and books are right for their kid that should not be left up to a streaming service

but I agree they had professionals on set and they did not listen to the professionals they wanted to shock not educatv

Anyone can sue for anything they want. Whether they have an actual case, much less go to trial and win is a different story. Judge dismissed the case. Sure, the plaintiff's can appeal, but I think it would be a hard case to win. If a lawyer wants to potentially waste time & money pursuing this, it's up to them.

Just remember this series is based on a young adult book. So why isn't the author being blamed?
Because more young adults are watching television and not reading.

And because the changes made between the book and the series, particularly as the series moved into subsequent seasons beyond the book (which provided the material for season one), did change the "vibe" of the content, for lack of a better way to say it. I'm not sure if it was the medium or differences in the storytelling, but the show had much more of a "they're never going to forget me"/revenge fantasy feel to it which I suspect does resonate more with some troubled kids than the book would... especially as the show moved into the second and subsequent seasons that were more focused on the fallout from the tapes.

Television shows and movies often glamorize bad things. I don't blame the show when someone decides to act on their content in real life. Can we dig up and sue Shakespeare for his heavy use of suicide in his plays?

This stinks of blaming video games for glorifying violence because your kid shoots up a school/church/synagogue.

Last edited:
Dad is hurting and grasping at straws for a scapegoat for his daughter's suicide. Netflix isn't to blame. Just like schools aren't to blame for teen suicides. What's to blame is the lack of mental support & mental care. How mental support & health is still considered taboo like it was to be left-handed and to punished for something that's natural & okay. We're getting better, yet we're miles and miles away. I will have to say the one good thing about + environment is that more & more are addressing mental support & mental care.

Suicide is tough. Those of us left behind often want to assign blame anywhere other than on the person who made the decision to end their life. I have known two people who committed suicide. One person had acted in a way that raised some red flags (primarily after the fact) and the other came as a total surprise to everyone who knew them and still does. There was a lot of guilt and finger pointing in both cases, which didn’t help anyone to get closure.

I do wish it was easier and more affordable to get the help you need, as well as wishing there wasn’t any stigma attached to needing the help. I worked with a young man who had serious mental health issues that none of us knew about because he was on medication that worked. Unfortunately, he gained a little weight as a side effect and went off his meds without telling anyone, because he thought if he lost the weight his social life would improve. He stopped coming to work and was in bad shape when his family found him. Last I heard from his mom (who I was casual friends with) they were still trying to find a med that would work. I wish he would have felt comfortable enough to address the side effects with his doctor instead of taking things into his own hands trying to avoid embarrassment. At least he wasn’t one of the suicides, thank goodness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter