Need rec. for "growing up" books for tween boy

sksjasams

DIS Veteran
I know I saw a thread last year about this topic, but can't find it now. I'm looking for a book (or a few) for my DS11 that covers topics such as puberty, changing bodies, sex, etc...
I would say he is a "young 11" (still believed in santa this xmas), so I definitely don't want anything with too much info or anything graphic.

Thank you in advance!

I am also interested in any rec. I have an 11 yr old. Unfortunately he no longer believes in Santa. Thou he has kept it a secret from his siblings. Knowing that if he tells - he no longer gets presents from "santa'.

He just noticed he is getting darker hair on his upper lip!

When my kids are 10, they get the book It's So Amazing, that covers pretty much EVERYTHING except oral sex (I had to explain that). I know you said that your son is "young," but that's when you want to give them the information - once puberty hits, a wall comes down, and if you haven't had these discussions until the age of embarrassment, it will be VERY hard to talk about these issues. I can still have these discussions with dd13, because we started early enough.

My ds is almost 12, and you wouldn't believe what they are learning from their friends! :scared1: Your ds knows way more than you think, and has probably already received wrong information.

Exactly. Knowledge is power in this case, and I don't think you could give him "too much infromation". Better to be open and honest about it. It your kids aren't getting the info from you they will be getting it elsewhere!

I agree with Mj. Get the books now and talk now. My oldest is just 10 and you would not believe the questions he had after his first week of 4th grade.:scared1::scared1: Lets just say-he knew pretty much how everything works and it came from kids in school.

Talk about things now and be prepared for lots of questions down the line.

Thanks for all the advice! I'm sure you are all right about him knowing more than I think. I do plan on buying some books now, that's why I was actually hoping to get some suggestions of titles...

Here are a few I was looking at on amazon:
It's So Amazing by Robie Harris (thanks pp!)
On Your Mark, Get Set, Grow by Lynn Madaras
Changing You: A Guide to Body Changes and Sexuality by Gail Saltz
What's the Big Secret-Talking About Sex with Boys & Girls by Laura and Marc Brown

Any thoughts on any of these? Any other suggestions? Thanks again!

I know I saw a thread last year about this topic, but can't find it now. I'm looking for a book (or a few) for my DS11 that covers topics such as puberty, changing bodies, sex, etc...
I would say he is a "young 11" (still believed in santa this xmas), so I definitely don't want anything with too much info or anything graphic.

Thank you in advance!

I read that same thread and bought one of the recommended books:

Boy's Guide to Becoming a Teen by the American Medical Association.

This is the perfect book for his age (my son just turned 11). Here is a link on Amazon if you want to read the reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Medi...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263503840&sr=8-1

This book is geared more toward puberty than sexual education. It's called The Boy's Body Book. I don't remember the author, I bought it on Amazon and gave it to my oldest when he was 10.

Thank you in advance!

Our DS is older now, but still has this book on his book shelf. We got it at a library book sale many years ago. Here's the link from amazon. It describes the contents of the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Sex-Wardell-Pomeroy/dp/0385302509?tag=dogpile-20

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter