My afternoon/evening in a wheelchair at Epcot

I did read the posting by measlymouse. I think that one came out the first week I started reading the boards. I have to say everyone from this forum replied with such class. I felt like blasting this person and decided to leave it in the hands of the Veterns of the disABILITIES forum. I turned my best friend onto the message boards and she came across his posting as well and had a few choice words to reply back to him with. She's a little fistier than I am. LOL

At least I know if feel the need to vent about something, I have a place to come to vent to with those who understand!!!

Thank you again!!!

I'm gald you feel better about going to WDW and we didn't scare you too much. I know I wrote and re-wrote my replies to the postings complaining about wheelchairs and I'm sure that is how some of the other replyers managed to do such a classy job of replying too.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

My last two trips to WDW I have rented an ECV. I will probably do this on all future trips, especially since I now have one less kidney than I had a week ago. Anyway I intend to go to a sporting goods or boating store and purchase a compressed gas actuated air horn. This is used by small powerboats to warn other boats nearby just as large boats (and trucks) have installed air horns for warnings. The way people tend to act around ECVs and Wheelchairs, having something that will frighten them might increase their awareness. Anyway, it is something to try. JudySue says I must say that I am just kidding, but I am not really. There will be a report after the August Pin Meet at Epcot.

It's been a long time since this one was on top - bumping it up.

Originally posted by nancycels
has dis ever considered providing a space at counters that works for people in ecv's or wheelchairs? it would have been really helpful this year when i was being totally ignored because in my ecv i'm to 'short' Just a thought! I don't remember seeing any low counters. Also a line for those trying to get food would be helpful. We were attempting to get food last year at epcot and had a horrible time because of the way the fast food lines were set up. Usually I go w/my husband who can get in line, but last year i was alone and it was impossible to get food. Thank goodness for some neighborly people who offered to help me out from the next table. And the next time someone is feeling like bashing 'non-USA'ers'(since i overhear this way to often in the park) the kids who helped me out were a tour group from brazil!

Gosh, folks...Ever heard of the ADA? This is an ADA access issue. I have just read several posts blaming those who cause "problems" by protesting access issues even though after 12 YEARS many businesses have NOT complied with the guidelines of the ADA when it comes to these access issues...Just spend a while trying to get food at a counter as this poster did and you'd be angry enough to want to protest, too, to force businesses to do what they were supposed to do 12 years ago. Blaming the pro- ADA protesters is silly. Blame the businesses that simply don't think the access issues are important enough to fix. If the mental health of a society can be measured by how it treats its stray dogs, just what kind of mental health is reflected in a society that treats its ambulatorily impaired members the way ours does?

Actually, they do have at least one lowered counter/wheelchair accessible line in all the fast food restaurants at WDW that I am aware of. The problem is that there is so much going on visually (and it is all so new to many people) that they don't notice the accessible line. Plus, if there are a lot of people already in line, they might prevent someone sitting lower to the ground in a wheelchair or ecv from noticing the line or seeing signs. More than one would be nice though.
The street vendor carts are less likely to have a lowered counter than the others, but the CM can move around to make it easier to buy there. One of the problems is the "invisibility" factor of a person in a wheelchair. When my DD tries to make a purchase, she often has people move ahead of her. Since she doesn't speak, she can't speak up and tell them she was there first, so she just ends up waiting unless the CM notices her.

Sue the same thing happens to me when I am in sign mode since I forget the world doesn't all sign and forget to use my voice. Being in a wheelchair as well as being hard of hearing I get completely ignored.
As to the lowered counters, or the accessible ones they are often closed if not all lines are open. I just find a CM in the area and tell them I need to use that line as my chair will not manuever through a regular queue line and usually I am helped quickly.
Worst place I have ever been was Sea World where there were no accessible lines and the person there just looked at me and said to get someone in my party to get my food. I was alone at the time. I asked a for a manager and asked how I was expected to get food when I was on my own and had no one to get in line.

Originally posted by Talking Hands

As to the lowered counters, or the accessible ones they are often closed if not all lines are open. I just find a CM in the area and tell them I need to use that line as my chair will not manuever through a regular queue line and usually I am helped quickly.
If the world was more disability aware, the accessible line would be the first one opened and the last closed.
Worst place I have ever been was Sea World where there were no accessible lines and the person there just looked at me and said to get someone in my party to get my food. I was alone at the time. I asked a for a manager and asked how I was expected to get food when I was on my own and had no one to get in line.
That is very sad. Even if you were not alone, it still is not a humane way to treat a customer. :(
Things change slowly.

True Sue but the more we are out in the world and take time to educate them the better things get. :)

Being recently temporarily disabled, this thread has really opened up my eyes (and saddened me at the same time). But after reading it, I feel that I am now somewhat prepared for both sides of human nature during my upcoming WDW vacation. Of course, I am praying that the best of human nature will prevail and will be all that I remember of my trip. I will make sure that I have my Disney Attitude with me at all times (God willing).

Early in this thread, it was pointed out that this information needs to be disseminated to the Theme Parks and Resorts boards. Believe me, upon my return, I will write a detailed trip report and post it on the Resorts board since that is where I normally hang out at here on the Dis. You folks have educated me here on the disABILITIES board so I will be sure to pass the education torch along to my fellow Dis'ers. :earsgirl: (I wish I had a Statue of Liberty smilie to use at a time like this.)

True Sue but the more we are out in the world and take time to educate them the better things get. :)

Very true, Lisa. And our children are (in general) more educated than most of us were, so things are slowly getting better.
:D

And Janet, you will find that there are more good people than bad people (and some of the ones we remember as bad are just uneducated, overtired or overwhelmed by being at WDW [although some are just plain rude and would be just as rude to anyone]). It's just that the bad ones are the ones that keep coming back and nagging at your memory.
I hope you have a great trip and you find only nice, helpful people.

Wow, I can't believe that man said that to you. Some people can be so insensitive. This is a great thread and I for one will
be more conscious of people in wheelchairs and ecv when I go on my next trip to Disney. I will also engage some of them in
conversation. What uplifting stories!!

Wow! i have just finished reading through this thread and have run through the gamut of emotions. Anger at the way some people treat each other, guilt because maybe I was (inadvertantly) stepping in front of someone in an ECV or wheelchair, tearful by the strength and power of some of your stories, and encouraged by the raging optimism and positiveness of everyone posting on this thread.
This has truly been an eye-opener for me, a non a dis-ABILITY person.
Sue, maybe this is one of the posts that should go at the top of the disABILITIES forum so MANY more people would read it. It might get the message out.
Thank you all so much everyone for opening my eyes and increasing my knowledge. Always a good thing for everyone!
Donna

Originally posted by twocat

This has truly been an eye-opener for me, a non a dis-ABILITY person.
Sue, maybe this is one of the posts that should go at the top of the disABILITIES forum so MANY more people would read it. It might get the message out.
Thank you all so much everyone for opening my eyes and increasing my knowledge. Always a good thing for everyone!
Donna
A good suggestion. I can "stick" this thread to the top. It seems to get "found" about every 6 months or so, but we could make it more visible.

I have to agree with twocat. I just decided to check out what this forum was all about and it was such an eye opener. I too ran through the gamut of emotions, and at one point I had some pixie dust fly into my eyes which made them water a bit! That darn pixie dust!
I think we can learn a lot form one another and this forum is excellent. I know a lot of us take life and what we have for granted. I recall being at the MK on day and we (me and my hubby) were about to get onto splash mountain when the CM informed us that we had to wait for the following boat due to a family with a diabled teenager was about to board. I understood and was perfectly content. We already waited for about 30 mins, what is another 10 seconds. (or as my husband would say...what's a bucket of water when you're drowning!), but the grieps and groans from the family behind us were unimaginable! I turned around looked right at the mother and said. "Is it really all that bad, I mean what could possibly be your problem? At least you do not have to pick up your child and carry them to a ride!" Needless to say she silenced quite quickly! Later after we got off of the ride, the mother of the disabled child happened to see me and thanked me for what I said. That felt good, and then it hit me...how many times did that family have to listen to people griep about them getting on rides in front of other people. Ya know, I bet they would give anything not to be in that situation.
I just thought I would share my little story. I am not usually one to lash out on someone, especially someone I don't even know, but something just triggered me! I bet it was the sound of that "mother's" voice! (hee-hee!)

I just wanted to add my thoughts on this thread. I was born with Apert Syndrome, which causes the bones to fuse at birth, requiring multiple surgeries to correct some of the deformities to the hands, skull, mid-face, etc.

Anyway, I'm getting ready for my trip to Disney World in January, and I'm getting really excited. My mom, boyfriend, and I are all going, and we'll be taking my Kaye reverse walker and manual wheelchair.

My boyfriend has Traumatic Brain Injury, and can't see very well, although he can see things that are at a certain distance. When we went to Disney World this last time, he was pushing me in my manual wheelchair, and we had to deal with a lot of people running over us/running into us. Both of my wheelchairs have a low floor-to-seat height, so you can just imagine what that is like.

I can get out of my wheelchair for some rides when it is necessary, but due to my uncoordinated balance control, I need someone to hold onto when I'm walking slowly, or otherwise I'd fall easily. We don't take my walker to any of the theme parks, as it's so heavy and cumbersome, it usually gets left in the hotel room.

I have the "adolescent model" of the Kaye reverse walker line, and my mom has a hard time lifting/handling it, because of her short height, and because it's so tall and heavy when folded. So, that's why we don't take it to the parks with us (although it would be very handy for some places, such as the Pirates Of The Carribean ride).

Because my balance is very uncoordinated, we usually get a lot of looks from other people, especially if I'm out of my wheelchair and walking for a short distance to get somewhere. Other times, people would smile, as if they understand.

Samantha

I have arthritis and use a wheelchair occassionally, however, I prefer not to, even if I'm in pain, because of the experiences I've had while using one. My experiences are similar to others posted here. My pet peeve is other people's butts in my face--literally! I guess I'm about "butt" level, however, that doesn't give others the excuse to stick their asses in my face. Its expecially a problem on crowded elevators, when people are trying to squeeze in. The wheel of my chair is the boundry for their feet, however, they seem to think they will gain more room by leaning in towards me. I once had a man all but stick his "private parts" right in my face. My 6'2 body builder husband told him "move it or lose it". Guess which option he took?

EVERY able-bodied person should have to spend a day or two in a wheelchair at WDW! Boy, would their ideas change! I became temporarily disabled last March, the day before leaving for Florida. Little did I know that I would still be among the disabled a year later! I have now taken 4 trips in a wheelchair or using a cane--I actially had someone kick my cane! Anyway, your perspective really changes when you are in a wheelchair, you are removed from the world, even cashiers took my money and handed the change to my daughter. Hello! I paid for the trip!

I blessed the people who opened the bathroom doors for me--what was Disney thinking when they put in two doors into a bathroom? How is a disabled person supposed to open a door weighing about 100 lbs, get inside, turn 90 degrees, and push open the second door, when there is no space? And who thought a long bathroom stall should be called handicapped accessible?? How do you close the door without turning your chair?

Thanks for letting me say this! Everything is just so HARD when you are handicapped! You can't just DO something, you really have to THINK how you are going to get out of whatever you are wheeling into. When you are sitting, you begin seeing how gracefully some handicapped people actually are in what they do as part of their daily living. :moped:

I just want to say something about people being in a wheelchair. I have a dear friend who is in a wheelchair permantently. He loves Disney World and and is a saint to wait for us to go on rides that he can't ever go on to see. So when the lines are long, he waits for us or will go see something he can see for himself. I have heard that some people don't think it is fair that the people in the wheelchairs get to get into the ride faster. That is not true, people in the chairs at times will have to wait for a specialized vehicle to go on the ride. I never feel that it is unfair for a disabled child get on the ride before me, I am thankful that I have my legs to stand just a little bit longer.

The biggest laugh was a few years ago. I was in line for splash mountain when I started talking to these young men. They were telling me that they rented a wheelchair so they could get on the rides sooner. As they were telling me their story, my face just became redder and angrier. Then they told me that they had to give up there wheelchair because they were getting tired pushing each other and it cost them 25 dollars. I just started laughing and they heard it from me. I had them apologizing for their actions and my niece just couldn't believe that I spoke up. I hope I made a point in those young men's lives.

Also, remember, even though you may think you see a person in a wheelchair that is not disabled, that may not be the picture. There are many illnesses out there that can cause a person to be in a wheelchair especially walking around disney world.

Lastly, if you see someone in a wheelchair, please do not stand infront of them. It is easier for you to move then the person in the wheelchair, remember we have our legs. ::MickeyMo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!