Monte Cristo sandwiches??

william5419

Earning My Ears
As the Blue Bayou Restaurant in Disneyland @ California offers the Monte Cristo sandwiches, are there any restaurants in Walt Disney World that also offers the delicious sandwiches? It is my favorite.:earsboy:

:Pinkbounc ::MickeyMo

I have never come across a Monte Cristo at the World (which is not to say that there is not one somewhere- perhaps someone else will know). If you are a MC afficiando, you may already know this, but Bennigan's has a good one and there is a Bennigan's close to DTD. Go past the DTD hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd and turn right at the light at the Crossroads shopping center (don't go into Crossroads). There is a Bennigans perhaps a mile or three on your right.

Tasty sandwich.

Beatnik

Geez, I didn't know that Bennigans have those. I will certainly also see if one of San Diego's Bennigans have those, too.

Thanks for the tip.

Indeed, a tasty sandwich. :teeth: :Pinkbounc

I'm curious - what exactly IS a Monte Cristo sandwich?? I've heard of them before, but have never seen nor tasted one. Could someone please enlighten me?

Thanks! princess:

You can get a great Monte Christo at Jungle Jim's restaurant...it is located in the shopping plaza across the entrance from downtown disney/marketplace.

Threeboysmom: This sandwich is a combo of ham, turkey and jack cheese between thick triangles of bread, dipped in egg batter, grilled, sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with strawberry jam.

If you ever visit Disneyland Park in California, the Blue Bayou Restaurant has this, and you can dine in full view of the people riding inside Pirates of the Carribean, just after they get on the boats. Neat!! :D

Webray: Thank you for the tip. Now this will be this another restaurant I plan to dine at. :D

As a side note, at Bennigan's they are pre-made and shipped there frozen. I found this out because I wanted to try one without cheese and they said they couldn't do it because they didn't make them fresh. So does anyone know if this is standard practice at all places that serve them? I would love to try one without cheese!

GoodFairies: Interesting you mentioned that. I wonder if the Blue Bayou Restaurant in Disneyland has their MC sandwiches shipped frozen, too.

I do have a Monte Cristo sandwich recipe from one of my Chef Mickey Mouse's cookbooks, if you would like to have one. I hope that you might have a deep fryer or something for what the recipe calls for, although I think recipe requires deep frying instead of grilling from the way most are prepared.

Did Bennigan tell you that they deep fry their MC sandwich?:confused:

Bennigan's Monte Cristo
This sandwich is stacked with ham, turkey, and Swiss and American cheeses on wheat bread, then battered and fried ’til golden. Dusted with powdered sugar and accompanied by red raspberry preserves for dipping.

Unfortunately, I don't have a deep fryer.

Several years ago they had them at the Columbia Harbor House in the MK. Every year I would plan to have one, but never did. Then they took them off the menu. Just my luck.

I haven't heard of any other WDW restaurant offering them.

WOW!!! This sandwich sounds like my type of sandwich! I'll have to put this one on my "must try" list!!

Thanks for sharing!

Man, I wonder what has now become of Jungle Jim's restaurant? I can't seem to find it on the DIS site, the WDS site, or any of the yellow pages online? Somebody help, please.:confused:

I think they used to serve Monte Cristos at the Town Square restaurant, too....now known as Tony's. Of course that little bit of info is of no help to you now!

Thank you, Pooh Girl 71 & threeboysmom for your help. :D

I will make an effort to go there after spending the day in one of the parks. :bounce:

BVC23: If Tony's had that on the menu, I would look at the menu, put it right back down, and tell the waitress/waiter that I want that MC sandwich. :)

However, I will settle for their spaghetti and meatballs when I dine there. "This is the night, a beautiful night ..... " (as though the Lady and the Tramp were being serenaded at dinner). :teeth:

Hey gang:

If any of you love adventures in cooking and want to make this tasty sandwich, this recipe was found on another website. Try it, and you may like it. :earsboy:

BLUE BAYOU MONTE CRISTO SANDWICH

Posted by CookinMom at recipegoldmine.com - May 21, 2001

This is the famous Monte Cristo sandwich recipe from the Blue Bayou restaurant in New Orleans Square at Disneyland.

Monte Cristo Sandwich is served with currant jelly sauce. First prepare this, then make the batter. While it is chilling, put together the sandwiches. When the sandwiches are fried, the complete service is ready.

Currant Jelly Sauce
2/3 cup currant jelly
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon half-and-half

Combine jelly, water and half and half in blender and mix until smooth. Makes about 3/4 cup.

Batter
2/3 cup water
1 small egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
Few drops yellow food coloring
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder

Place water, egg, salt, pepper and food coloring in a bowl and using an electric mixer, mix well at low speed. Add flour and baking powder and mix until batter is smooth. Chill. Makes enough for 4 sandwiches.

Sandwiches
8 slices white bread
4 slices turkey (1 ounce each)
4 slices Swiss cheese
4 slices Pullman ham

Make 4 sandwiches, putting cheese between hand and turkey. Cut into fourths and put a toothpick through each quarter.

Final Preparation
Soybean or vegetable oil for frying
Confectioners' sugar
Currant jelly sauce

Heat about 6-inches of oil to 340 degrees F in a fryer. Dip sandwiches in batter to cover all surfaces. Deep fry sandwiches until golden brown, turning as needed. Remove from oil, take out toothpicks, sprinkle sandwiches with confectioners' sugar.

Serve with currant jelly sauce.

The Columbia Harbour House in Liberty Square at the MK used to serve (by which I mean in the '70s and '80s) Monte Christo's. In fact, it's where I first tried them. The CHH is one of the more overlooked MK restaurants, a good choice for a no-fuss meal. It now serves a decent clam chowder in a hollowed-out slice of bread.

PS: Monte Christos are great, but watch your cholesterol!

I know the cholesterol intake can be high, but I do need to have a MC sandwich one day. I miss it.

So at least I will go to Bennigan's for lunch today, and as the fairy tale says: I can live happily ever after. ::yes::

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL. :jester:

:teeth: :tongue: :hyper: :yo-yo: :bounce: :duck: :jumping1: :jumping3: :jumping2: :jumping4:

Well, I had my Monte Cristo sandwich fix at Bennigan's in San Diego (thanks again for the tip, Beatnik) on New Year's Eve. That's all for another year, I guess. So I won't have to worry about that anymore.

They were just as good as the ones served at the Blue Bayou Restaurant in Disneyland, and no doubt the ones served at Jungle Jim's are just as good, too.

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :earsboy: :jumping1: :jumping2: :jumping3: :jumping4: :cool1: :happy1: ::MickeyMo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter