Mistake you will not repeat next time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sons and I go for 10 days every August. 2 years ago, Wishes was performed nightly at 10pm. Our last evening tradition is to dine at Chef Mickey's and finish the evening at MK with Wishes. Our last evening was a Monday and Wishes had changed to 9pm that evening. We didn't find that out until we were on the Monorail, headed to MK. By the time we reached the front gates of MK, Wishes was in it's finale. My sons were very sad, as was I. I still feel guilty about it and ALWAYS check the show schedule daily.

On our first trip wore jeans on Kali River Rapids - naturally I got soaked. Fortunately we were heading directly back to the resort so I didn't have the dreaded "moleskin" issue ....it did take years for that pair of jeans to dry. Now if we're going on Kali I always wear something lightweight and give everything that can't get wet to DH (who doesn't ride Kali)

FYI - BandAid now makes a product very similar to body glide for keeping your feet from rubbing, and I bet it could be used for other chafing areas. I don't know if it is any cheaper for the stick of stuff, but I found it at Target.

When wishes was ending, we attempted to cross main street from tommorowland to adventureland. I guess I thought since MK was not closing until later, that most people would stay in the park. This was our first time actually being inside a park for fireworks, so I had no idea what was about to occur. We are small town people who don't get out much, and that was probably the biggest crowd we have ever been in and will ever be in.

Someone earlier mentioned zombies. That is exactly what it was like. And once we got a few feet in, we were stuck. There was nowhere to go. I had one kid and my husband had the other, and we got separated. My 11 year old was dying of embarrassment because I had a death grip on him. I wanted to pick him up. lol. To this day, he still talks about the horror of crossing the sea of zombies. :headache:

I agree no extended family. Did 1 trip wit FIL and he never left our side. Did another trip with my parents and our schedules are too different to work. We are rope droppers and dinner at resort types with kids to bed, they are afternoon park goers till late. While it was nice for them to see the kids it was too much stress.

AGREE 100%
Did a trip with my In laws. The rental car was in their name. For some reason, they could not add myself and husband as drivers on the car. I did not realize this part until we had arrived at the hotel. My husband went to the rental car counter with my FIL, so I assumed they had added him. We did not stay on property. It was a horrible, horrible trip. They slept in until noon everyday. We were stuck in the hotel room with our kids and our disney tickets. :eek:
When I think about the amount of money and time we wasted on that trip, I still get angry. It will never happen again.

Making ID cards with our phone numbers, etc, for the kids to keep in their bags, and then carrying their bags myself when we lost DD(6) at HS. And writing our cell numbers on rubber bracelets with sharpies for them to wear in case they got lost...only to find that the rubber absorbed all the writing. Fail.

cah5525 said:
"beware of moleskin"

Thanks for the tip!
My mascara is now running from laughing so hard and I have 2 minutes to clock into work!

OMG!! That has to be one of the funniest most horrifying stories I have read on the DIS!! How miserable you must have been... Ripping off your skin, a trip totally changed and a hot lifeguard seeing it all.... Ahhhhhhh! I'm cringing and crying and giggling all at once! Yikes!

FYI - BandAid now makes a product very similar to body glide for keeping your feet from rubbing, and I bet it could be used for other chafing areas. I don't know if it is any cheaper for the stick of stuff, but I found it at Target.

The BandAid product is called "Friction Block" and can be found in the ointments section of the pharmacy at Target. A 0.34 oz stick (deodorant style, but much smaller -- no longer than your thumb) is $4.76. In comparison, a 0.45 oz stick of Body Glide is $7.49 on Amazon (free shipping). A 1.5 oz stick (about the size of a deodorant stick) of Body Glide is $9.99 (free shipping on orders over $25). We just bought a 1.5 oz BG from Amazon and also got two of the BandAid Friction Block from Target -- the BG will stay in the room and a FB will go with us to the parks just in case.

As for mistakes I won't make next time, the biggest one is going to MK on July 3rd (or 4th for that matter) to watch fireworks from the hub with a larger stroller (Joovy sit-and-stand) and two small kids... then agreeing to let DW hit the shops on the way out while I try to navigate the zombie throng heading (ever so slowly) toward the exit. DS was 16 months old at the time and started to get smothered sitting in the stroller with people crowded all around, so I had to carry him in one arm, navigate the stroller with DS4 standing on it with the other hand, all while hoards of people bumped into us, pushed past us, cut in front of us, etc... I know now why people are tempted to use strollers as battering rams, but I didn't do it. The fireworks were spectacular, and my kids enjoyed it immensely, but I would not do it again. :headache:

Another mistake from our last trip that I will make sure we don't repeat is to book early evening ADRs far from the park we are visiting that day. We traveled with friends, so DW and the other wife made the plans -- they insisted that we eat at T-Rex for dinner one evening :rolleyes2. We visited Animal Kingdom that day (our only day at AK) and had to leave around 3:00 to get back to CSR and change clothes before heading to DTD. Most veterans know that this can be plenty of time to see most/all attractions at AK, but with four kids under 8 we moved pretty slowly, it was oppressively hot, and we stopped to take in every- single- sideshow and curio shop/stand we passed. :rolleyes1 We missed EE, Flights of Wonder, and the Nemo show. The whole time we were at dinner I could only think, "We traded off top notch Disney attractions so we can see second rate animatronic dinosaurs while we eat standard bar and grill food. Yippee!"

The last one (these are all from our last trip in 2009 btw) is staying at CSR with multiple small kids and a double stroller -- the bus/stroller issues have been discussed ad nauseum on other threads, so I won't elaborate. The key issue is that I am the pack mule on these trips, which I happily accept, but but my willingness is subject to limitations. Henceforth, I will not board a bus carrying anything larger than an umbrella stroller -- this is for my own well-being as well as that of fellow guests.

We're going in 7 weeks (just our family) and I took care of the planning this time -- no 4th of July week, no 3-hour transition/travel to a meal, no buses, rental strollers at Epcot only (umbrella stroller otherwise for DD2), and no AK with small kids. :thumbsup2

1. Purchasing park hopper tickets yet spent whole day at one park each day. For our trip next year, i'll just buy base tickets.

2. Claimed that free souvenir mug on our 4th night at the resort, i thought it was just that, a souvenir. Every morning my BIL walked around CSR with coffee on hand that he paid OOP. D'oh!

I too have a cautionary tale about water rides.

One morning, we were getting ready to go to Islands Of Adventure and my parents packed a change of clothing for Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges which we all love as well as ponchos.

We got there and it was a beautiful, hot day. I was so boiling hot I decided I wouldn't wear a poncho to cool myself down. First mistake.

Needless to say, I got SOAKED to the skin on the ride, luckily I had the sense to remove my shoes and socks so they weren't soaked too.

And of course clever me did not have a spare change of clothing, nor a towel. Second mistake. Mum lent me her change of clothing which just looked silly on me. So, $44 for a new dress and a towel later, Universal were better off (And to be fair, it's a lovely dress that I'm looking forward to wearing in the summer) and I was finally dry. Except for one garment that's the most important of all: Underwear. Yikes that was uncomfortable.

Needless to say, when it started pouring down on our Epcot day, I made sure to wear my poncho that time.

Wow, I am so disappointed for this thread to end. Really some good stories and tips even for those of us who have been to the world many times!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter