• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Missing" I touch-"Founder" turned off locate app!!

"Locate" is not an "app", per se -- it is actually a function called "Find my iPhone" and is built-into the latest firmware running all Apple iOS devices (Pad, Phone, Touch) which is accessible through iCloud.

And to answer a question, it also includes "disable" and "wipe" functions at no extra cost.

If your iOS device does not have this function, you may need to update your firmware...

That is not actually correct. 'Find My iPhone' is an app that you download from the app store. Go to the app store, search on 'find', and it will likely be the top one on the list.

That is not actually correct. 'Find My iPhone' is an app that you download from the app store. Go to the app store, search on 'find', and it will likely be the top one on the list.

It's okay, you are both right...

I got my i Phone Dec 2010 and got the Find My phone app from iTunes. This was before the cloud was available. They did a segment on the app on the Today show, and I downloaded it right then and there.

2 of my kids just got Ipod touches this Christmas (2011) and it was already in setting under the iCloud. Yes, it was already installed... no need for them to download it.

Always such helpful information on the DIS. DD just got an iphone on Monday - the "locate" app is definitely of interest to me...

I also LOVE the tip about taking a picture on the memory card of you contact info.

While we are at it, our GPSs also contain our contact info on the start up screen. I don't know if all models have that ability.

A friend places a return address label on the inside of the battery compartment lid if that's not an option. Again, not all devices have this.

Something is better than nothing. But only if the people are honest.

A cop friend suggested not putting your home address on the GPS as the "Home" location because if your car is stolen, they know you're not home and can find where you live. If you keep your registration in the glove box, the point is moot, but just to be on the safe side, I put the address of our development's swim club. It's such a beautiful building, I'd like to imagine myself living there like it's my estate. :rotfl: Imagine a thief's surprise when he pulls up to the clubhouse in my Saturn, lol.

Thanks to the OP and other contributors for the advice about the locator app. DH is going to set it up for the iPods; he already has it for his iPhone.

I allow my DS16 who has Asperger's to take his iPod on the bus. It helps him block out the noise from the other students and keeps him from getting anxious. So far, he's been very responsible about keeping it in his backpack except when he's on the bus.

MY DS13 told me someone had a laptop stolen at his middle school yesterday. The kids are allowed to bring laptops on "work days" when they're scheduled to work on a project or essay in class. Only a few kids actually bring them. Most just write the old-fashioned way. He said a girl left her laptop in her backpack during lunch. When she came back, it was gone. Later in the day, the principal had every 7th grader write a note regarding whether or not they had any information about who took the computer. The note could be anonymous if they chose. My son said he put his name on his note, and wrote that he didn't take the laptop and didn't know who did. He said he thought it was better to put his name on it and be clear about exactly what he knew (which was nothing). I was proud of him!

I remember seeing a report on 60 minutes years ago, and in the report they said that Apple could help find almost all their stolen items, if they wanted to. Which they do not.

As soon as a person links the iPod, iPhone, iTouch, etc to their iTunes, they can match up the email address to the seriel number. But they do not want to be in the police business.

I had my Kindle DX stolen at Philadelphia Airport. I called Amazon, and they said they disabled the device. They would not allow anyone to link it to their Amazon account, they were locking it out. So the thief could only read MY books that were already on there, for the most part. (I guess they could get free ones somehow too from other sources?)

My special needs DS takes an iPad to school to communicate. So far, so good.

That is awful!
My children are allowed to play video games at Boys and Girls Club on Fridays. Of course, the only way they can get them to Boys and Girls Club is to take them to school first. It makes me VERY anxious to think of DD's ipod and DS's 3DS sitting in their backpacks all day. But I told them:
1. Don't tell anyone yu have them. If no one has them, no one knows to take them. Plus, I don't want them being taken away by the teacher!
2. If they do get lost/ stolen/ broken...I don't want to hear about it! They take the chance of taking their games, they accept the responsibility and the consequences. So far, so good.
They attend a very small school. I don't know if I would be comfortable with that if we went to one of the rougher schools, or once they get to higher grades.

My DD9 has an iPhone in her backpack when she goes to school each day. Before she leaves for school she carefully, makes sure it is completely turned off. Not even her friends know she has it.

To give additional security the book bag I bought her had a bit larger zippers. I got her a small TSA luggage lock and she locks that front zipper where she keeps any money and her phone.

I have restrictions on her iPhone and the password. I've tested the Find your iPhone app out when I misplaced my iPad (left in the office). I was able to lock it. Maybe sending the text message to it tipped the thief off in your case.

I remember seeing a report on 60 minutes years ago, and in the report they said that Apple could help find almost all their stolen items, if they wanted to. Which they do not.

As soon as a person links the iPod, iPhone, iTouch, etc to their iTunes, they can match up the email address to the seriel number. But they do not want to be in the police business.

Well why would they want to? If your item got returned, you wouldn't have to buy a replacement one :laughing: But seriously, years ago it might have been reasonable, but these days, with the sheer number of Apple devices out there, it would be a logistical nightmare for them. Years ago there might have been 10 million ipods out there, today there are probably 500 million of them.

Well why would they want to? If your item got returned, you wouldn't have to buy a replacement one :laughing: But seriously, years ago it might have been reasonable, but these days, with the sheer number of Apple devices out there, it would be a logistical nightmare for them. Years ago there might have been 10 million ipods out there, today there are probably 500 million of them.

Exactly, that was the gist of the story. Too many iPods out there, they would have to hire employees to handle all the "investigations". And they would get tangled up in people falsely claiming theft for various reasons. Not to mention overwhelming local police departments with trying to get the ipods back, I guess. They just set up situations where they left iPods on tables at food courts, on busses, etc. For the story, Apple DID locate the devices, as the people who "found" them went onto their iTunes.

It was interesting, typical TV story, as they then went and confronted the people who had the lost/stolen iPods.....

I know this is not the same as the expensive electronics but when my DD was six she left her brand new stuffed disney pegasus toy at the quick service in Mexico at EPCOT. I was shocked to return and find someone had turned him into the bar area and we got him back. Boy was she happy since she had bought him herself. So it does happen, just not as often as we would like.

An ipad, ipod, kindle, nook, or any other electronic device can be easily restored to factory settings, even if they are locked.

When restored to factory settings, it's just like a brand new device to anyone who has it.

http://www.factory-reset.com/wiki/Kindle_3
This is true, but with the Kindle, you can report it stolen and they will not allow the thief to register it. It's useless at that point.

An ipad, ipod, kindle, nook, or any other electronic device can be easily restored to factory settings, even if they are locked.

When restored to factory settings, it's just like a brand new device to anyone who has it.

http://www.factory-reset.com/wiki/Kindle_3
This is true, but with the Kindle, you can report it stolen and they will not allow the thief to register it. It's useless at that point.

A cop friend suggested not putting your home address on the GPS as the "Home" location because if your car is stolen, they know you're not home and can find where you live. If you keep your registration in the glove box, the point is moot, but just to be on the safe side, I put the address of our development's swim club. It's such a beautiful building, I'd like to imagine myself living there like it's my estate. :rotfl: Imagine a thief's surprise when he pulls up to the clubhouse in my Saturn, lol.
While a thief might know YOU'RE not home, they don't know if anyone else is home.
I don't know about other states, but we're required to carry registration if we get pulled over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter