• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May/June 2021 rental rates

I have a somewhat different concern. My booking for mid-May via UCT is a very good rate for one week from Avis. But, I wonder if they still might say at the counter sorry, we do see your booking in the system but unfortunately all our cars are already gone. If an airline does this, some form of compensation is required under complicated rules, but what happens when a car rental place pulls this? Has anyone seen or experienced this situation?
UCT is pretty reliable. You have a reservation number, there will be a car waiting for you. It's not like going through travel sites (Expedia, Hotwire).

UCT is pretty reliable. You have a reservation number, there will be a car waiting for you. It's not like going through travel sites (Expedia, Hotwire).
It doesn't matter who you book through, they use the same interface and Avis don't really care. The only people who will be guaranteed a booking are Avis president or chairman's club members. The only difference is UCT may try and help you more. Not much they can do though if there are no cars.

It doesn't matter who you book through, they use the same interface and Avis don't really care. The only people who will be guaranteed a booking are Avis president or chairman's club members. The only difference is UCT may try and help you more. Not much they can do though if there are no cars.
Do you think having a prepaid rental increases the likelihood you'll get a car, or do they work entirely on a first come first served basis?

Do you think having a prepaid rental increases the likelihood you'll get a car, or do they work entirely on a first come first served basis?
Also wondering this as well, I prepaid my minivan reservation for Avis hoping it would increase my chances of arriving and not getting a car.

Also wondering this as well, I prepaid my minivan reservation for Avis hoping it would increase my chances of arriving and not getting a car.
No, it should but it doesn't. I've seen no evidence prepaying will guarantee anything other than you may lose out if your plans change.

I suppose it has to do mainly with when you show up. In my case, midafternoon so maybe I'll be at least 50-50. If you show up at, say, 10:00pm, I wouldn't be surprised if the fairy godmother is your only chance of getting a car.

Has anyone ever bought like a movie ticket or something through ****************** just so you could get the 50% off code for a rental car? I recently noticed you could do this and i have never needed anything like this because Alamo has always been reasonable until now. I'm wondering how hard it is to modify, or if he discount you get is a one and done kind of thing? Thanks!
Yes, I just got a one day ticket to Aquatica and a compact Rental from Budget for only $181! Lowest rate I found any where else was $226 for a compact May 18-22. Even if I never make it to the water park I saved $45.00.

Reading this thread makes me glad my husband can use negotiated rates through his employer (Big 10 University) to rent cars. We are going 5/26-6/02 and rented through National for the week for $280. Plus, we're Emerald Aisle members so we pay for a midsize car but can choose any car from the aisle with unlimited miles. Last few times we've been able to get an SUV.

I have a somewhat different concern. My booking for mid-May via UCT is a very good rate for one week from Avis. But, I wonder if they still might say at the counter sorry, we do see your booking in the system but unfortunately all our cars are already gone. If an airline does this, some form of compensation is required under complicated rules, but what happens when a car rental place pulls this? Has anyone seen or experienced this situation?
Yes, but not at Disney. My sister had a car booked at Hobby Airport here in Houston. She arrived late on a Thanksgiving trip. When she got to the counter, there were no cars available. I drove across town to pick them up. No compensation at all . . .

We'll then I guess the only remedy is to book directly from the rental agency. If I have a confirmation through the company website, I'm guaranteed a car even if I'm not the Avis President. I assumed that UT's good rep with WDW tickets was reliable regarding car rentals as well.

We'll then I guess the only remedy is to book directly from the rental agency. If I have a confirmation through the company website, I'm guaranteed a car even if I'm not the Avis President. I assumed that UT's good rep with WDW tickets was reliable regarding car rentals as well.
You are incorrect, you are NOT guaranteed a car if you have a confirmation through the company website. Avis President's Club and Avis Chairman's Club are invitation only VIP loyalty groups (guaranteed vehicles is a perk). When a rental agency runs out of the cars the only to get one is if it is held specifically for you. Unless you are a VIP not going to happen. Avis are better than some others in at least they will try and give you some notice.

It has nothing to do with UT's reputation. When there are no cars there are no cars. Can't magic them up. In some cases there might be an advantage in booking through a responsive 3rd party as you have someone else to help you find a vehicle.

You are incorrect, you are NOT guaranteed a car if you have a confirmation through the company website. Avis President's Club and Avis Chairman's Club are invitation only VIP loyalty groups (guaranteed vehicles is a perk). When a rental agency runs out of the cars the only to get one is if it is held specifically for you. Unless you are a VIP not going to happen. Avis are better than some others in at least they will try and give you some notice.

It has nothing to do with UT's reputation. When there are no cars there are no cars. Can't magic them up. In some cases there might be an advantage in booking through a responsive 3rd party as you have someone else to help you find a vehicle.
That situation is not common. About 1% percent of car rentals aren't honored because a car isn't available. Part of the reason is that they accept more reservations than they can handle, anticipating some drivers won't show up. Another part of the reason is that the car rental industry, unlike many hotels and almost all airlines, still allows you to cancel or miss a reservation without paying a penalty.

Major rental car companies don't knowingly grossly overbook with the intention of leaving a sizable percentage of their customers stranded everyday. Sure it happens, but it's not a regular thing. First of all they wouldn't do that because it would ruin their reputation. Secondly, you have to operate in good faith. If this was standard operating procedure, over time they'd eventually find themselves in a class action suit for lack of execution.

Normally, when a car rental company runs out of cars in your class, it's industry practice to offer you an upgrade into the next class of vehicle at no additional charge. And when they have no cars they find other remedies. Per the Budget-AVIS group “In the rare occurrence there are no cars available, we attempt to get the customer to their destination (via taxicab, etc.), if possible, and when a vehicle becomes available, it will be delivered to the customer. In the event that this is not possible, we advise the customer to check availability/rates with other providers. We then match the rate originally confirmed and reimburse the customer the difference between the original rate and the rate they paid.”

As you can see by several posts in this thread the rental sites are indicating no cars are available. They stopped taking rentals for certain dates.

Last edited:
I'm worried about this as well. I tried calling Budget to verify my reservation but they said I have to contact the 3rd party I booked with (UCT). To get the great rate, I had to prepay and I worry about car availability since they seem to be having inventory issues during my vacation days. I will keep my fingers crossed but will probably worry until I actually am in my rental. I also a bit frustrated that I am unable to add my Fastbreak#. I will have to wait in line and not get the fasbreak benefit.

That situation is not common. About 1% percent of car rentals aren't honored because a car isn't available. Part of the reason is that they accept more reservations than they can handle, anticipating some drivers won't show up. Another part of the reason is that the car rental industry, unlike many hotels and almost all airlines, still allows you to cancel or miss a reservation without paying a penalty.

Major rental car companies don't knowingly grossly overbook with the intention of leaving a sizable percentage of their customers stranded everyday. Sure it happens, but it's not a regular thing. First of all they wouldn't do that because it would ruin their reputation. Secondly, you have to operate in good faith. If this was standard operating procedure, over time they'd eventually find themselves in a class action suit for lack of execution.

Normally, when a car rental company runs out of cars in your class, it's industry practice to offer you an upgrade into the next class of vehicle at no additional charge. And when they have no cars they find other remedies. Per the Budget-AVIS group “In the rare occurrence there are no cars available, we attempt to get the customer to their destination (via taxicab, etc.), if possible, and when a vehicle becomes available, it will be delivered to the customer. In the event that this is not possible, we advise the customer to check availability/rates with other providers. We then match the rate originally confirmed and reimburse the customer the difference between the original rate and the rate they paid.”

As you can see by several posts in this thread the rental sites are indicating no cars are available. They stopped taking rentals for certain dates.

That is how it is supposed to work....Unfortunately the pandemic has changed things. I'm seeing this all over the country. Locations closed without notice, reservations canceled with a phone call, no cars available etc.

After 15+ years of renting 2-3 times a year at MCO, it happened to us last night. Arrived about 9pm after an hour weather delay. Waited in line almost 2 hours at Thrifty. About 10 people from counter, they started yelling no more cars, come back tomorrow. It was awful. They basically said we don’t care. Hundreds of people stranded. We tried to get a few other desks, could get a mini van at Alamo for $1100 but that was about it. Tried to get an Uber/Lyft...no pick ups. The one couple up there waited almost an hour for a regular, we needed an XL and nothing available. Walked down to taxi stand and only luck we had all night, a taxi van pulled up and the first group in line couldn’t be accommodated (they had 9 people) but we fit along with another couple. Got to SSR around 1:30 am. It was horrible. The rental counters did not care at all and there were hundreds and hundreds of people stuck.

I did find on my computer once at SSR a rental from Budget at the Disney Springs Doubletree. It was double my original rate ($325 midsize SUV) at $578 mid size car. I Ubered there this morning $10, and had a very quick and easy pick up and she gave me a RAV4. So we are ok for now, but out an extra $400 and it was awful at MCO. Never experienced anything like that. I think if they would have told us when we originally landed it would have been annoying but more options. That’s the part that made me upset, we waited 2 hours in line and they knew they would not have cars.

Yes, I just got a one day ticket to Aquatica and a compact Rental from Budget for only $181! Lowest rate I found any where else was $226 for a compact May 18-22. Even if I never make it to the water park I saved $45.00.
I found a popcorn ticket at AMC that i am going to buy to try this! Thanks!

My post was quoted above, our experience arriving late this past Saturday night. Hundreds of people stranded at the airport, no rentals, no Uber/Lyfts, etc. It was horrible. The vast majority of us had rented direct through the rental agencies, many people had prepaid. They were basically SOL. Lesson learned in that I will NEVER prepay a rental. They didn't have my credit card number so I could walk away. Those people were sleeping at the airport. By that time at night there were no Uber/Lyft pickups, especially for families. I did see a couple of singles and couples score a ride share.

The best I can figure out is that so many of us arrived late due to the bad weather in Orlando. I know we were held in Philly for an hour due to an Orlando ground stop, I heard others were significantly more delayed than we were. Since they had bad weather, they ran behind "processing" the cars and with COVID their cleaning protocols are even more. So basically they had cars, just no one to clean them. It was not good. Many people were yelling/carrying on. They basically told us come back tomorrow we will do nothing for you. For our own sanity, we go out of there as quick as we could. It was beyound infuriating after waiting in line for 2 hours. They knew they were not going to have cars for everyone in line, why they didn't tell us at 9:30pm rather than 11:30pm I do not understand. We would have at least had more options then. First time in probably 100 times at MCO with renting we had an issue...and we have rented twice before during the pandemic. And most of our flights we come in later at night.

My post was quoted above, our experience arriving late this past Saturday night. Hundreds of people stranded at the airport, no rentals, no Uber/Lyfts, etc. It was horrible. The vast majority of us had rented direct through the rental agencies, many people had prepaid. They were basically SOL. Lesson learned in that I will NEVER prepay a rental. They didn't have my credit card number so I could walk away. Those people were sleeping at the airport. By that time at night there were no Uber/Lyft pickups, especially for families. I did see a couple of singles and couples score a ride share.

The best I can figure out is that so many of us arrived late due to the bad weather in Orlando. I know we were held in Philly for an hour due to an Orlando ground stop, I heard others were significantly more delayed than we were. Since they had bad weather, they ran behind "processing" the cars and with COVID their cleaning protocols are even more. So basically they had cars, just no one to clean them. It was not good. Many people were yelling/carrying on. They basically told us come back tomorrow we will do nothing for you. For our own sanity, we go out of there as quick as we could. It was beyound infuriating after waiting in line for 2 hours. They knew they were not going to have cars for everyone in line, why they didn't tell us at 9:30pm rather than 11:30pm I do not understand. We would have at least had more options then. First time in probably 100 times at MCO with renting we had an issue...and we have rented twice before during the pandemic. And most of our flights we come in later at night.
OMG, that's horrible! How did you finally get to your resort?

ETA: Nevermind, I saw. That's terrible!

Next month's visit will be the first time I have prepaid for a car rental in quite a long while. The reason is that it was the only acceptable rate I could find; all other deals were hundreds of dollars higher. It is a calculated risk, but I am hoping that a midafternoon arrival will get me into some car, even if not the category I booked. Anything will do for me -- economy, a pickup truck, I don't really care what is. Of course, a larger party who needs that minivan and all that's left is a Nissan Versa is going to be pretty unhappy.

Wow, sorry to hear that. After so many successful rentals at MCO that must've been a real let down to start your trip. After reading several threads today I'm getting the impression that arriving in the evening or night under current circumstances is real iffy. Like you, I have never had any issue at MCO but right now it seems like things are pretty bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter