May 2017 Car Rental Thread

I keep seeing multiple people post drops in rates for April, but my rates are holding steady. I have a minivan booked for 5-6 thru 5-16 picking up at MCO and dropping off at RSW for $361 through Thrifty and $438 through Alamo. Alamo is now $506 and no minivans available for Thrifty.

I keep seeing multiple people post drops in rates for April, but my rates are holding steady. I have a minivan booked for 5-6 thru 5-16 picking up at MCO and dropping off at RSW for $361 through Thrifty and $438 through Alamo. Alamo is now $506 and no minivans available for Thrifty.

Minivans typically higher than a sedan and you may be getting hit with a drop charge. Check your reservation, all companies don't asses it last i checked.

I've used Priceline in past for minivans, usually get hertz & price substantially less than going rate.

Minivans typically higher than a sedan and you may be getting hit with a drop charge. Check your reservation, all companies don't asses it last i checked.

I've used Priceline in past for minivans, usually get hertz & price substantially less than going rate.

No drop charge with Alamo. Thrifty has a $74 drop charge but rental is cheaper including it. I think I have check all companies, websites, etc and current prices are $550-$650 for the 10 days. I am happy with the rates I have but I keep checking just in case. I need at least a six seater so I know my prices won't be as low as standard cars but one can hope.

I used coupon AS3868JST and the cheapest I could book was a 7 passenger mini van for 1 week plus 2 hours all in was $257.72. I don't need a mini van for just me but it was the cheapest and that's what I drive at home so at least I'm used to it. I'll keep checking for something smaller and cheaper....

Mini van was down to $243.35 today. I could have gotten a compact for $4 less or midsize for $1 less but decided to just keep the mini van since I'm used to driving one. I'll keep checking....

I don't need a mini van but with Alamo I just saw minivan $208 for a week with WDW AP & AD3868jst beginning 5/14

My rental just dropped again using Costco codes. Budget May 5-13. $200 . This is down from $310 a week ago

Mini van was down to $243.35 today. I could have gotten a compact for $4 less or midsize for $1 less but decided to just keep the mini van since I'm used to driving one. I'll keep checking....
Changed to a Full Size today for $207.78. This was using Orlando Magic ID 7016220. AP ID was $269.

How much different is Mid Size vs Full Size? Mid size was $195. I don't need space but feel safer in a bigger car.

What size do they not have at MCO? Is it standard? If you book a standard you pick from Full Size??? Standard was more expensive today.....

WOW!
last month, I booked with Alamo using AP 15000 and coupon AD2823JAZ, 5/11 - 5/20 (9 days), Dolphin p/u & d/o, mid-size, $244.72 total
checked for the past few days, and with all the same, a midsize is now $476.24 :eek:

I'm so glad I looked today. Dollar Rental - May 1st through May 7th - original cost for midsize - 263.51.

Todays price - 145.93. Just saved a nice chunk of money.

I'm so glad I looked today. Dollar Rental - May 1st through May 7th - original cost for midsize - 263.51.

Todays price - 145.93. Just saved a nice chunk of money.

Thats better...stick with it, though. You're about inside that 3 weeks where anything can happen. You might do even better.

I'm still just over a month out, so I don't see much happening and probably won't for another week or so. Plus I think early May will be less expensive than later in May.

Hi everyone,

I am in a bit of panic mode and hope the veterans and help me out. We are going to Disney from 5/20 to 5/27, and I am looking for a standard SUV or minivan. I tried the costco code and the AD3868JST coupon, but it is showing me the $350 to $400 for either SUV or Minivan. I am a Costco member and when I checked the price through costco's travel site, the prices were similar.

I saw minivan for around $250 a few months ago and now just beating myself up for not booking it then. Any chance these prices will drop? Any more tricks or codes I can try out? Thank you in advance!

Hi everyone,

I am in a bit of panic mode and hope the veterans and help me out. We are going to Disney from 5/20 to 5/27, and I am looking for a standard SUV or minivan. I tried the costco code and the AD3868JST coupon, but it is showing me the $350 to $400 for either SUV or Minivan. I am a Costco member and when I checked the price through costco's travel site, the prices were similar.

I saw minivan for around $250 a few months ago and now just beating myself up for not booking it then. Any chance these prices will drop? Any more tricks or codes I can try out? Thank you in advance!

My advice would be to go ahead and book what you're seeing. The price may drop, but a couple things are working against you: one is that you're getting into Memorial Day weekend territory and the other that you're looking at a minivan/SUV. The codes you're using for Alamo are good...

In general, prices seem to drop anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks out, especially for "standard" car classes, but I've been also seeing some of the better prices about a month out. You may or may not see that based on the factors mentioned above.

I'd go ahead and book what you're seeing, but keep checking on a pretty regular basis. While I prefer Alamo also, look around a little. Sometimes Budget in particular will run a $179 or $199 minivan or SUV special for a week.

Hi everyone,

The rates fluctuate, see my post #85 above

If you 'need' one, book one that is cancellable. Subscribe to this thread for posts of 'deals' & check daily for price drops.

A month prior you might want to start looking @ priceline.

Dollar is down today for our May 9-16 dates (7 days + 3 hrs). Full size $151. Smaller sizes even lower. No codes; clicked on City Special.

Thank you!!! Just rebooked with Dollar , city special May 5-13 ...$167.85

Great Keliblue! I just checked again (I know obsessed but hoping for lower) and prices have almost doubled!

Dollar is down today for our May 9-16 dates (7 days + 3 hrs). Full size $151. Smaller sizes even lower. No codes; clicked on City Special.

Thank you!!! Just rebooked with Dollar , city special May 5-13 ...$167.85

We're finally starting to see "typical" car rental behavior. High rates until you get to a month out or slightly less, especially with the usual car classes, then drops. To those in the first part of May, check now and fairly often. To those of us in the second half of May, its always good to check, but we may not see drops for a couple more weeks. Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the Orlando crowds start building as May goes on, especially around Memorial Day weekend, so we may not get some of the prices we're starting to see for early May.

I'm picking up in April but most of my trip is May. 4/29-5/10. I've currently got a mini van with Alamo for $298 and a full size for $260. Budget is a little cheaper but we prefer Alamo as long as the difference isn't too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter