May 2017 Car Rental Thread

richmo

DIS Veteran
I'm opening up a car rental thread for May 2017.

With any post with specific rates, please include your dates (rates the beginning of May could be way different than what is found for Memorial Day weekend, for example), the agency, discount codes and/or coupons that you are using (and if the physical coupon is required), the website at which you booked it, the car class, and the rate (preferably with and without taxes and fees). If your rental is a one-way or somewhere other than Orlando airport (MCO), please also note that. Also, if your rate is a pre-pay (which I personally discourage), note that.

I would encourage you to list discount codes that are publicly available and, in reading posts, be aware of required credentials that may be listed. For example, to use an AAA/Costco/BJ's, etc. rate, you should be a member.

Thanks in advance for contributing, I hope we find some good rates!

It's early, but here goes:

May 17-22, Alamo, booked at Alamo.com:
Compact
Base $128.70/Total $143.83
Costco discount code (7014627)
Coupon: AD3868JST ($25 off specialty, but it seems to work for many of the common classes)

April 29th-May8th
9 Days
ALAMO dot com
Mid-size
Base: $195.09
Total: $217.30
Costco: 7014627
Coupon: AD2823JAZ

Last edited:

So I'm assuming that the Costco code can only be used if you have a Costco membership correct? And the code listed above, AD2823JAZ, is that for anyone to use?

So I'm assuming that the Costco code can only be used if you have a Costco membership correct? And the code listed above, AD2823JAZ, is that for anyone to use?

I've forgotten the source, but I believe the ...JAZ coupon is public.

Officially, yes, you are supposed to be a member to use the Costco code. When you book on Alamo, there is a place for you to enter your Costco membership number when making the reservation. However, its not real obvious and I believe you can complete the reservation without it. That being said, Alamo at MCO seems to be pretty lax about asking for Costco membership when you show up. There's probably a very high chance that you won't be asked for it, so go ahead at your own risk. If you do, keep a couple things in mind: do online checkin a day or so before you leave...that's at least one less person or kiosk that may ask for your Costco membership. Also, the Costco code includes a second driver. If you take advantage of that, make sure you don't get in an accident. There could be insurance issues...

Personal opinion and take it any way you wish: I won't use any rental car affiliation discount unless I can show credentials supporting that affiliation.

I've forgotten the source, but I believe the ...JAZ coupon is public.

Officially, yes, you are supposed to be a member to use the Costco code. When you book on Alamo, there is a place for you to enter your Costco membership number when making the reservation. However, its not real obvious and I believe you can complete the reservation without it. That being said, Alamo at MCO seems to be pretty lax about asking for Costco membership when you show up. There's probably a very high chance that you won't be asked for it, so go ahead at your own risk. If you do, keep a couple things in mind: do online checkin a day or so before you leave...that's at least one less person or kiosk that may ask for your Costco membership. Also, the Costco code includes a second driver. If you take advantage of that, make sure you don't get in an accident. There could be insurance issues...

Personal opinion and take it any way you wish: I won't use any rental car affiliation discount unless I can show credentials supporting that affiliation.

I agree, I am not comfortable not being able to "prove" any code I use also. And we are flying into Orlando/Sanford, so a smaller airport. That's ok, I'll keep watching for another code. Thank you!

COSTCO:

Alamo
May 5-13
Intermediate
$217.66

Should be able to lower this sometime in the week prior to vacation:worship::sunny:

BJ's :

Alamo website
AD3868JST coupon $25 off
May 5 - May 14
Midsize SUV
$285.11
…not great, but fingers crossed I will get it lower closer to the dates

Hi y'all! This will be our first time driving and we would like to rent a large suv or 12 passenger van.
Can I rent a specific car ahead of time?
If so, how far ahead should I call?
Thanks!

BJ's :
Alamo Website
AD2823JAZ coupon $25 off
May 5 - May 14
Midsize SUV down from $285.11 to $255.69 (11am 1/20)
DOWN $29, CHECK YOUR RATES

Mid Sized SUV with Alamo through Costco.. $266.73. This is for 7 days, 2 hours. We are flying in and out of Fort Lauderdale on our May trip. I've never rented a car there so I'm not quite sure what to expect. This was the first rate I saw under $400 in any category, so I decided to grab the one I can live with, and I will keep watching like a hawk.
Ideally I don't want to be paying over $200 for a week, and hopefully around $160. We will see.

I booked awhile ago, but rates are much higher now. I hope they get a little cheaper.

Alright, change in plans. For now we have decided to book one day rentals on arrival and departure day. We got a midsize SUV with Hertz to drive from Fort Lauderdale to Universal for $40. We have it for the whole day, so ample time to drive the 3 hours, and grab some groceries. The best part is we can drop it off on property so it's very convenient. We pick the car up at Cabana Bay (hotel we are staying at) on the day we leave and take it right back to the Fort Lauderdale airport for $55. I'll save myself $100 in parking fees too since CBBR charges for parking. We don't take the car to the parks so it sits there most of the day.
I was looking for ways to cut costs on this trip, and this is perfect for us. While we love having a car at Disney, we don't need it as much at Universal. We may use Uber for an offsite meal or two. I'm actually liking the idea of staying put once we get there.

I booked Alamo May 5-12 for $174.54 for a full size. I would like to get a bit more off but it is a rate I can live with. I'll check again as we get closer. I used Orlando Magicard ID 7016220. It was better than the AP code.

Rates dropped for me today at Alamo. Best deal I got was using Disney Annual Passholder and AD3868JST coupon for $25 off. $146 May 6-12; fullsize. Good trend but I'm used to paying around $108 for 6 days (usually somewhere around $18 per day).

Midsize was $139. I went with a compact during our last visit but plan to "splurge" on a fullsize.

Last edited:
My understanding is Midsize gets you a Standard at MCO. I went with a compact during our last visit but plan to "splurge" on a fullsize.

Actually, with Alamo Standard allows you to pick from Fullsize row, not Midsize gets you Standard - unless that changed recently.

Car rates have been quite a bit higher this year. Thanks for the info.

Actually, with Alamo Standard allows you to pick from Fullsize row, not Midsize gets you Standard - unless that changed recently.

Car rates have been quite a bit higher this year. Thanks for the info.

Yes; I think I goofed. I'll delete that line from my post so hopefully I won't confuse anyone...

Thanks.

The Orlando Magic card ID 7016220 is a better deal for me today than the AP rate (by $1). Two days ago it was the opposite when I booked using Annual Passholder rate for $146.

Full-size at Alamo for May 6-12 at $145 including use of AD3868JST coupon for $25 off. (I didn't change for $1.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter