May 2017 Car Rental Thread

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by richmo, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina DIS Veteran

I have a full size booked with Alamo for April 29th to May 6th, pick up & drop off at FLL, 8 days for $150.49 total.

Used Costco code and $25 coupon.

I also have an SUV booked with the same codes and coupons, for $228.

keishashadow likes this.
  2. Cloudy

Cloudy Mouseketeer

Rates for me jumped significantly on my routine check today.

Minivan 5/6/17-5/16/17
    Picking up at MCO dropping off at RSW

I have booked:

Alamo for $439, Now $714
    Thrifty for $361, Now $422

Yikes

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. richmo

richmo DIS Veteran

Not at all surprising. Be glad you have something booked, especially since you have one of the non-standard classes. More than likely they'll drop again sometime in April...whether below what you already have remains to be seen. (Keep an eye out for $179/$199 wk minivan or SUV specials)

Cloudy likes this.
  5. Familytradition

Familytradition Earning My Ears

I have been looking since December of last year for our upcoming trip in May. Last year we got a mid size from Dollar for $112.00 taxes going in the month of May ...... does anyone know what is going on with the prices right now ?? At last check, for the week of May 12-19 Dollar has a compact for $383 and Alamo has a Mid size for $407/week....by the time you convert that to Canadian Dollars it's over $500.00 for the week. :furious:

6. richmo

richmo DIS Veteran

I wouldn't panic. I'd feel better if you had grabbed something at a lower price a month or two ago, but I'm also pretty confident that there will be a rate drop for your time period. With any luck, I think you'll definitely be under $200 once you leave. Just put a hold on the least expensive option you can find, and keep looking. Rates could change anytime, but really keep an eye out once mid-April hits.

Day-Day likes this.
  7. CheapRunnerMike

CheapRunnerMike DIS Veteran

If you live in Canada try this...make sure 'Resident of Canada' is selected on Alamo.com. I just tried your dates and this is what I got;

Coupon AD3868JST ($25 off)
    Disney AP Code
    Product Code AS1 (log in as an Alamo Insider)
    Compact $111.87 USD Total

Even without the AP code it still only comes to $123.35 USD Total, much better than $383/$407

This has only worked for me, but if you are in Canada as well it might work for you too! Worth a try anyways, we need to save every penny we can with our Canadian dollar the way it is :(

8. Familytradition

Familytradition Earning My Ears

I tried it. You're right ! Thank you sooo much. Like you said every penny counts with our dollar being so bad !

CheapRunnerMike likes this.
  9. Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina DIS Veteran

Prices for me just keep dropping. I am now down to:

$150 for a full size (Alamo, with costco code and $25 coupon)
    $172 for a premium (Dollar, no codes/coupons)
    $182.50 for an SUV (Thrifty, booked via carrentalsavers.com)

April 29th to May 6th inclusive (8 days), pick up/drop off at FLL

KalamityJane and jlsmith376 like this.
  10. KalamityJane

KalamityJane DIS Veteran

I have similar dates, so this is good to know!

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina likes this.
  11. lovesdumbo

lovesdumbo DIS Veteran

I don't know why I waited to just now to book a car I bought my airfare in December. I prefer Alamo. I tried using AP code but it was crazy expensive. I tried Costco but I don't have a membership and Orlando Magic was same rate. I assume I don't need a card or anything with Orlando Magic as I booked it with a link right from the visit Orlando site.

I used coupon AS3868JST and the cheapest I could book was a 7 passenger mini van for 1 week plus 2 hours all in was $257.72. I don't need a mini van for just me but it was the cheapest and that's what I drive at home so at least I'm used to it. I'll keep checking for something smaller and cheaper....

12. Maxie86

Maxie86 DIS Veteran

I almost always am able to get a better rate a couple days before my trip. Don't give up. They will probably never ask to see the Orlando Magicard but you can print one off their website for just in case. I have never been asked for it but take it in case they do.

13. ashleyrm

ashleyrm DIS Veteran

Just planned a last minute trip in May to go the AP Pandora preview. No Saturday night overstay so prices are a bit steep. Current "best" price was on carrentalsavers with Budget for $100.16 for full size (5/20 -5/22).

14. rlduvall

rlduvall DIS Veteran

I've noticed that my rates for late May - early June have doubled with Alamo - around $400 now. Glad I'm locked in. Hope you find a better deal as it gets closer.

15. hswillia07

hswillia07 Mouseketeer

Hi everyone! I booked through rentalcar.com (any experience with them?) for ten days the beginning of May. The actual rental is from Thrifty for a 7-passenger van and my total is $540 canadian (roughly $400 US) - is this a reasonable price? I haven't rented for more than a day on our last couple of trips. Any tips?? Thanks so much!

16. CheapRunnerMike

CheapRunnerMike DIS Veteran

If you live in Canada this seems to work...just make sure 'Resident of Canada' is selected on Alamo.com. I just tried booking a 7-passenger minivan May 1-10 and it came back pretty favourably.

Coupon AD3868JST ($25 off)
    Disney AP Code
    Product Code AS1 (log in as an Alamo Insider)
    Compact $256.82 USD Total

Without the AP code it still only comes to $283.89 USD Total, but you may have another contract code you could use to bring it down a bit more. Regardless it is still way cheaper than your $400 rate!

Good luck :)

hswillia07 likes this.
  17. hswillia07

hswillia07 Mouseketeer

Thanks! That brought me down a bit to $517 :) I appreciate it! I'm going to play around with Costco a bit and see if that helps me out.

18. Day-Day

Day-Day DIS Veteran

After the big jump in prices a month or so ago, Alamo has started coming down over the last week for my trip starting May 6.

jlsmith376 and rlduvall like this.
  19. nascargirl

nascargirl DIS Veteran

I am so glad that I have a rate of 174.68 that I booked on 3/8 because the prices have not come down at all:(. I check on a daily basis but I am guessing this might be the best rate I can get.

20. kmacht

kmacht Mouseketeer

Keep checking each day. If you haven't booked airfare yet you may also want to look into the price difference for a rental from Tampa instead of Orlando. I have a rental form 4/20 to 5/2 with pickup in Tampa and drop off in Orlando. It started off around $160 for the 4 days and this morning it was suddenly stupid cheap at $5 a day ($58 with all taxes and fees). This was with Thrifty through carrentalsavers.

Keith

21. Bullseye

Bullseye Faithful Companion

Same here. I was expecting once April started rates for May would level out but that hasn't happened. Like you, I'm glad I got a decent rate at the beginning of March. Of course I'll keep checking right up until go-time but at least got something I can live with. (Standard $208 for 11 days)