May 2017 Car Rental Thread

I have a full size booked with Alamo for April 29th to May 6th, pick up & drop off at FLL, 8 days for $150.49 total.

Used Costco code and $25 coupon.

I also have an SUV booked with the same codes and coupons, for $228.

Rates for me jumped significantly on my routine check today.

Minivan 5/6/17-5/16/17
Picking up at MCO dropping off at RSW

I have booked:

Alamo for $439, Now $714
Thrifty for $361, Now $422

Yikes

Rates for me jumped significantly on my routine check today.

Minivan 5/6/17-5/16/17
Picking up at MCO dropping off at RSW

I have booked:

Alamo for $439, Now $714
Thrifty for $361, Now $422

Yikes

Not at all surprising. Be glad you have something booked, especially since you have one of the non-standard classes. More than likely they'll drop again sometime in April...whether below what you already have remains to be seen. (Keep an eye out for $179/$199 wk minivan or SUV specials)

I have been looking since December of last year for our upcoming trip in May. Last year we got a mid size from Dollar for $112.00 taxes going in the month of May ...... does anyone know what is going on with the prices right now ?? At last check, for the week of May 12-19 Dollar has a compact for $383 and Alamo has a Mid size for $407/week....by the time you convert that to Canadian Dollars it's over $500.00 for the week. :furious:

I wouldn't panic. I'd feel better if you had grabbed something at a lower price a month or two ago, but I'm also pretty confident that there will be a rate drop for your time period. With any luck, I think you'll definitely be under $200 once you leave. Just put a hold on the least expensive option you can find, and keep looking. Rates could change anytime, but really keep an eye out once mid-April hits.

I have been looking since December of last year for our upcoming trip in May. Last year we got a mid size from Dollar for $112.00 taxes going in the month of May ...... does anyone know what is going on with the prices right now ?? At last check, for the week of May 12-19 Dollar has a compact for $383 and Alamo has a Mid size for $407/week....by the time you convert that to Canadian Dollars it's over $500.00 for the week. :furious:

If you live in Canada try this...make sure 'Resident of Canada' is selected on Alamo.com. I just tried your dates and this is what I got;

Coupon AD3868JST ($25 off)
Disney AP Code
Product Code AS1 (log in as an Alamo Insider)
Compact $111.87 USD Total

Even without the AP code it still only comes to $123.35 USD Total, much better than $383/$407

This has only worked for me, but if you are in Canada as well it might work for you too! Worth a try anyways, we need to save every penny we can with our Canadian dollar the way it is :(

Prices for me just keep dropping. I am now down to:

$150 for a full size (Alamo, with costco code and $25 coupon)
$172 for a premium (Dollar, no codes/coupons)
$182.50 for an SUV (Thrifty, booked via carrentalsavers.com)

April 29th to May 6th inclusive (8 days), pick up/drop off at FLL

Prices for me just keep dropping. I am now down to:

$150 for a full size (Alamo, with costco code and $25 coupon)
$172 for a premium (Dollar, no codes/coupons)
$182.50 for an SUV (Thrifty, booked via carrentalsavers.com)

April 29th to May 6th inclusive (8 days), pick up/drop off at FLL
I have similar dates, so this is good to know!

I don't know why I waited to just now to book a car I bought my airfare in December. I prefer Alamo. I tried using AP code but it was crazy expensive. I tried Costco but I don't have a membership and Orlando Magic was same rate. I assume I don't need a card or anything with Orlando Magic as I booked it with a link right from the visit Orlando site.

I used coupon AS3868JST and the cheapest I could book was a 7 passenger mini van for 1 week plus 2 hours all in was $257.72. I don't need a mini van for just me but it was the cheapest and that's what I drive at home so at least I'm used to it. I'll keep checking for something smaller and cheaper....

I don't know why I waited to just now to book a car I bought my airfare in December. I prefer Alamo. I tried using AP code but it was crazy expensive. I tried Costco but I don't have a membership and Orlando Magic was same rate. I assume I don't need a card or anything with Orlando Magic as I booked it with a link right from the visit Orlando site.

I used coupon AS3868JST and the cheapest I could book was a 7 passenger mini van for 1 week plus 2 hours all in was $257.72. I don't need a mini van for just me but it was the cheapest and that's what I drive at home so at least I'm used to it. I'll keep checking for something smaller and cheaper....

I almost always am able to get a better rate a couple days before my trip. Don't give up. They will probably never ask to see the Orlando Magicard but you can print one off their website for just in case. I have never been asked for it but take it in case they do.

Just planned a last minute trip in May to go the AP Pandora preview. No Saturday night overstay so prices are a bit steep. Current "best" price was on carrentalsavers with Budget for $100.16 for full size (5/20 -5/22).

I've noticed that my rates for late May - early June have doubled with Alamo - around $400 now. Glad I'm locked in. Hope you find a better deal as it gets closer.

Hi everyone! I booked through rentalcar.com (any experience with them?) for ten days the beginning of May. The actual rental is from Thrifty for a 7-passenger van and my total is $540 canadian (roughly $400 US) - is this a reasonable price? I haven't rented for more than a day on our last couple of trips. Any tips?? Thanks so much!

Hi everyone! I booked through rentalcar.com (any experience with them?) for ten days the beginning of May. The actual rental is from Thrifty for a 7-passenger van and my total is $540 canadian (roughly $400 US) - is this a reasonable price? I haven't rented for more than a day on our last couple of trips. Any tips?? Thanks so much!

If you live in Canada this seems to work...just make sure 'Resident of Canada' is selected on Alamo.com. I just tried booking a 7-passenger minivan May 1-10 and it came back pretty favourably.

Disney AP Code
Compact $256.82 USD Total

Without the AP code it still only comes to $283.89 USD Total, but you may have another contract code you could use to bring it down a bit more. Regardless it is still way cheaper than your $400 rate!

Good luck :)

If you live in Canada this seems to work...just make sure 'Resident of Canada' is selected on Alamo.com. I just tried booking a 7-passenger minivan May 1-10 and it came back pretty favourably.

Disney AP Code
Compact $256.82 USD Total

Without the AP code it still only comes to $283.89 USD Total, but you may have another contract code you could use to bring it down a bit more. Regardless it is still way cheaper than your $400 rate!

Good luck :)

Thanks! That brought me down a bit to $517 :) I appreciate it! I'm going to play around with Costco a bit and see if that helps me out.

I am so glad that I have a rate of 174.68 that I booked on 3/8 because the prices have not come down at all:(. I check on a daily basis but I am guessing this might be the best rate I can get.

Keep checking each day. If you haven't booked airfare yet you may also want to look into the price difference for a rental from Tampa instead of Orlando. I have a rental form 4/20 to 5/2 with pickup in Tampa and drop off in Orlando. It started off around $160 for the 4 days and this morning it was suddenly stupid cheap at $5 a day ($58 with all taxes and fees). This was with Thrifty through carrentalsavers.

Keith

I am so glad that I have a rate of 174.68 that I booked on 3/8 because the prices have not come down at all:(. I check on a daily basis but I am guessing this might be the best rate I can get.
Same here. I was expecting once April started rates for May would level out but that hasn't happened. Like you, I'm glad I got a decent rate at the beginning of March. Of course I'll keep checking right up until go-time but at least got something I can live with. (Standard $208 for 11 days)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter