May 2017 Car Rental Thread

I haven't seen rates this high in years. I am questioning if less people are renting cars due to Magical Express therefore the rental companies have a smaller fleet of cars driving the prices up.

Bingo - it was reported that the MCO facilities would be cutting back their fleets a year or so ago.

IMO could also be there are many leisure renters holding multiple reservations that cancel (or not) last minute that caused a glut of cars sitting on the aisles.

The other thing is the rental car companies have reclassified the cars. We always rented an impala but now they have that listed as a Premium choice at a much higher rate. We usually fly into Sanford and I do know the rates are a littler higher. Just for fun, I switched my dates and coupon code to MCO to see what kind of rate I would get and wham it was higher then what Sanford is showing. I am guessing my rate of 174.00 for a mid size is going to be the best rate I will receive.

Does anyone rent from National anymore? We liked them because you could choose a car from the Emerald Aisle if you were a member. Can you do that with any other company?

Does anyone rent from National anymore? We liked them because you could choose a car from the Emerald Aisle if you were a member. Can you do that with any other company?

National is good...but it seem like you get at least as much flexibility with Alamo, since you do the same thing but for more car classes. It almost seems like the National Emerald Aisle is about the same thing as the Alamo midsize aisle. Yes, the Emerald Aisle probably has more upgraded classes in the aisle at a given time, but I've seen similar results with the Alamo midsize aisle (SUV's, sometimes minivans...). And like National, Alamo lets you bypass the counter and the kiosk and head direct to the car, assuming you do online checkin. And some of the other companies (like Dollar) are getting closer to that model, but not quite there yet.

For May 17-22: Alamo rates seem to be either holding steady or rising. Where I'm seeing some nice discounts are at Dollar. Using a AAA discount, I'm seeing a midsize (Toyota Corolla or equiv) at $77 base/weekly, $120 total. That's still about $3 higher than what I have from a much earlier booking at Alamo, but not at all bad...

For May 17-22: Alamo rates seem to be either holding steady or rising. Where I'm seeing some nice discounts are at Dollar. Using a AAA discount, I'm seeing a midsize (Toyota Corolla or equiv) at $77 base/weekly, $120 total. That's still about $3 higher than what I have from a much earlier booking at Alamo, but not at all bad...

Replying to my own post: The Dollar rates continue to go down for the dates above. Today with no code, but using a City Special, the midsize is $73/week base $115 total. That's a dollar or so less than my Alamo rental, but I'll probably book this one as a backup, but still use Alamo. If I wanted to do prepay (which I'm willing to do this close to the trip), its about $5 less. Alamo current rates are still quite high...

We arrive 5/24-5/29. I am currently at $104/wk before all the fees for an Alamo Drive Happy Deal. I havent seen a rate like that since I booked it initially. Friends we are traveling with got better rates then that.

Half way threw May..... How has everyone made out with May Rentals? Any good finds on arrival?

I wish I could have found that Drive Happy Deal! My dates are 5/29-6/2 $149 midsize, Costco & $25 coupon codes. I booked mine on 12/27 and haven't seen it go lower. Today the lowest is $195.

Half way threw May..... How has everyone made out with May Rentals? Any good finds on arrival?
I had a full size for 7+ days 5/3 to 5/10 for $210. When I went to the kiosk it said $220 because I was early. There were lots of mini vans in the full size aisle. I was going to pick a Nissan Altima but when I opened the door it smelt funky so I picked a Dodge Ram 5.7L king cab pick up truck. It was really fun! But the seat was about chest level-I wasn't too graceful getting in & out but I loved driving it around. It still had the new car smell. Best part was when I returned it they gave me a receipt for $168.

I had a full size for 7+ days 5/3 to 5/10 for $210. When I went to the kiosk it said $220 because I was early. There were lots of mini vans in the full size aisle. I was going to pick a Nissan Altima but when I opened the door it smelt funky so I picked a Dodge Ram 5.7L king cab pick up truck. It was really fun! But the seat was about chest level-I wasn't too graceful getting in & out but I loved driving it around. It still had the new car smell. Best part was when I returned it they gave me a receipt for $168.

Thats AWESOME!

I have just returned from my Disney-Ft Myers trip and had a fabulous rental from Thrifty. I had a small hiccup about adding a second driver with AAA but it was fixed in minutes and off we went. I was able to skip the line (which was very long) and go strait to the garage. There was a manned booth where my name was posted on a screen. Picked up the keys from the booth and was directed to my minivan. Car was already picked out for me and although Thrifty's website says you can change to a different car I did not see this option in real life. In the end had a Kia Sorrento with only 6000 miles that was very nice and easy to drive. No problems with drop off and no extra charges. In fact was quoted $361 and receipt was for $358 for Minivan 10 days picking up at MCO and dropping off at RSW. Alamo was $439. I still prefer picking my own car from Alamo but Thrifty was great at such a price difference.

I had scored a mid size SUV for 173.00 with pick up out of Sanford. I had booked this back in March and the prices never did come down. I did online check in the night before. I had scheduled a pick up time for 1:30 and a return time a week later for 2:30pm. We arrived at 1:00 at the counter. The check in process was quick. When the agent handed us our paperwork, I noticed that the fee went to 180.00. I questioned him since I had my reservation right in front of him. He said we were 30minutes early, but if we returned the car 2 hrs. early, we would received the original rate. Now why would I want to be at the airport earlier then scheduled? We went out to the car lot and a very nice man brought us to the full size SUV aisle instead. We had this same guy back in January and he did the same thing. We brought the car back at our scheduled 2:30 time, and the rate was $7.00 higher (180.00) All in all, for the extra time we had at Disney, it was well worth the extra $7.00.

One interesting thing...upon arrival at MCO last Wednesday about 7:30 PM, the Compact row at Alamo had about 3 compacts (I took a Ford Fiesta) and about 10 minivans. Didn't need a minivan, but could have easily taken one if I had wanted. (But DON'T book a compact thinking you'll get a minivan...this may have just been random)

Arrived today at noon... Drive Happy Deal - sent to the midsize aisle.... every other vehicle in the row was a minivan. Others included corollas, and some other tiny cars. We took a Dodge Dart. 2016, over 32k miles on it. Not too bad.
Friends also arrived an hour later, had found a nice car in the full size aisle, but something was wrong with it. Ended up with a "basic" Nissan Altima.

Just booked a last minute trip May 26-31..not finding any cheaper (for 5 people anything will do) than $226 fees in from dollar..there has to be better than this?!

Just booked a last minute trip May 26-31..not finding any cheaper (for 5 people anything will do) than $226 fees in from dollar..there has to be better than this?!

That is last minute! I think you're kinda stuck...maybe try a bid on Priceline, but you definitely run the risk of an off airport agency. I do see slightly lower rates at Payless (paylesscar.com) for your dates (about $210 for larger car classes). I haven't rented from them, so I can't speak to how easy the process is...I'd likely stick with what I have for Dollar.

I found something cheaper with Alamo and costco code and coupon (and I am a member so I feel ok using)..thx everyone! I was nervous to bid on priceline in case of getting off site..they should have an option to opt out of offsite selection.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter