Marathon Weekend 2023

what if Run Disney moved to dynamic demand pricing like TicketMaster has done?
Remove this from the universe!!! Chapek is always watching.
Hopefully their queue system works better.
Dear reader, it did not work better. I finally got to checkout after like 5 hours and then every time I clicked on a seat it said someone had already purchased it. Then I finally made it to checkout, and the screen went white then kicked me out back to the end of the queue, behind 2000+ people again! I waited a few more hours and finally got a ticket… spending way more than I had planned.
I'm not sure we fully appreciate just how important Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is to animation. At the time it was a huge risk.
Yes! Agreed. It’s not my favorite film, but I do appreciate what it did for cinema and animation. Another thing to remember is that the audience of this film was adults. People associate Disney with children and, sure, but it has always had a history of appealing to children and adults alike (this is called “crossover”). Many fairy tales themselves also originated as stories for adults before being adapted for children (and those adaptations were quite dark).

It also makes sense that Disney would intentionally market itself to both adults and children. After all, adults are the ones with money and who decide (mostly… internet is changing this) what their children consume.

Okay that’s my tangent for today haha.

SAFD: There are so many great old school Disney movies, it’s hard to pick just one! With the mention of the sing along videos, I’m going to go with the Disneyland sing along video as my favorite because it was my first exposure to the Disney parks. I watched that video on repeat growing up.

I had those VHS's too! "I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street USA."
I still sing this in my head every time I walk past the flagpole and down Main Street!

Nutrition:
My current long run/race day nutrition plan is pretty simple. I can’t eat a lot early in the morning but I make myself eat before a longer race or training run. Like others here, my pre-race go to is half of a bagel with peanut butter and apple juice. This past year I started using Honey Stinger gummies (fruit smoothie) during a run (typically 1 every other mile, but usually based on how I feel). Usually I’ll eat the second half of my bagel with peanut butter and chocolate milk after a long run. I don’t have a set meal for the evening before, but I just eat foods that match my normal eating habits (or as close to normal as possible). Last year I learned during marathon training that a pasta dish I used to like was no good during training. I think the sauce upset my stomach, so I try to avoid meals similar to that during training and before/after races.

Regarding the nutrition side of things, this morning I’m remembering that a podcast (
) discussed that the more carbs you could take on (your maximum tolerance, and that you could train yourself to tolerate more) the less damage and the faster the recovery in athletes in studies. Essentially, the less you ask your body to produce energy for you from existing stores, once you’re through your liver glycogen, the better. I have no idea how that applies to someone like myself that moves at a very non-elite pace, but it was really interesting.

One of my plans for dopey is to fuel more during the half, and make sure I don’t get behind during the full.

Last edited:
SAFD:
Old school movie: Lion King or Mulan, but if I need to go earlier than middle school era for me… I would probably say 101 Dalmatians.

Nutrition: I don’t remember exactly what the question was. 😂
I don’t really have a routine leading up to a race (half or full) except for usually trying to have a larger carb full lunch the day before (my choice is pancakes if I’m able to find a place or pasta - usually Mama Melrose at Disney) and a light easy dinner (sandwich). I think I may have gotten this (pancakes/lunch) from @FFigawi a few years ago, so thanks!! If it’s going to be a hot race I will try and make a point to drink a sport drink each day for 1-2 days (or more) before the race.
The morning of the race I usually just do my normal breakfast of yogurt and granola (usually Nature’s Valley that has extra protein) and coffee about 2 hours before the race (or one hour before I leave my house/hotel). I used to add a bagel with peanut butter, but a few races ago I started having more GI issues during the races, and I didn’t typically eat that during my long run mornings, so I cut it out, and I’ve been fine since.
During the race, my routine is 3 Honeystinger chews every half hour and one Saltstick Electolyte capsule every hour starting right before the race starts. This has worked well for me for a while.
After the race, I try and get something in me right away; otherwise, I may not be hungry (and may feel nauseous around food) for the rest of the day. The banana and snack box with chips and cheese and whatever else is usually good enough for me. Besides that, I don’t usually do anything special to recover - maybe drink a sports drink if it’s available.

Here’s a weird question that only people here might be able to answer lol!
I need to cover the ears of a Minnie ear headband in fabric - but I also want to be able to easily remove said fabric after the race. Any thoughts on how best to do this? No sewing machine skills, but I’m a decent hand-sewer - I keep thinking I need to make little… IDK, mitts? socks? slipcovers? That will go over the ears and I can knot them off at the bottom, then just pull the stitches when I’m done. How might I create a pattern for this?

I need to cover the ears of a Minnie ear headband in fabric - but I also want to be able to easily remove said fabric after the race. Any thoughts on how best to do this? No sewing machine skills, but I’m a decent hand-sewer - I keep thinking I need to make little… IDK, mitts? socks? slipcovers? That will go over the ears and I can knot them off at the bottom, then just pull the stitches when I’m done. How might I create a pattern for this?
Have you ever made a pillow? I'd think of it as just a tiny pillowcase. As for creating a pattern, maybe just trace around the ears and add enough for a seam allowance. Add notches after you sew the seams so they look nice when you turn them right side out. Slip them over the ears and some tiny stitches to close your 'pillowcase'.

But also, maybe don't listen to me, because things are always great in my head and then I try to actually make it...

Do you need to be able to reuse the covers? If not, just sew something around the ears and then cut it off when you’re done.

Have you ever made a pillow? I'd think of it as just a tiny pillowcase. As for creating a pattern, maybe just trace around the ears and add enough for a seam allowance. Add notches after you sew the seams so they look nice when you turn them right side out. Slip them over the ears and some tiny stitches to close your 'pillowcase'.

But also, maybe don't listen to me, because things are always great in my head and then I try to actually make it...
YES!! That’s it, exactly, I think: little, round pillowcases. The notches are a great idea that I wasn’t visualizing - thank you!
Do you need to be able to reuse the covers? If not, just sew something around the ears and then cut it off when you’re done.
I do not, and that is exactly the plan!

What about kids/small mits? I would cut the thumb (you can use the thumb remains to cover the band near the ears) and cover the ears with the rest. This might leave an opening that will allow for where the bow is attached.

ETA: Here is a picture of the sock/thumb cover I used in 2020 to protect the back of the ears from the itchy sequins. I just slipped it on.
1668613896901.png

Last edited:

If you don't want to sew them on, you could create a little drawstring bag for each ear and just tie them on at the base.

If the goal is to make the costume look right from the front and the back doesn’t matter, you could cut the fabric you want, wrap it around the ear, and tie the excess off in the back with a mini hair tie or rubber band.

This will be my 4th half, the last was 10 years and 30 lbs. ago., I'm now 57. The last was Wine and Dine at night! Osborne lights!!

I'm just starting to understand the importance of hydration. Last weekend was 9.5 and the last 1.5 was awfully painful in my legs. I haven't been hydrating during a run, silly me I hasn't been warm so I didn't think it was important. The leg cramps were painful, I blamed it on the change in weather.

I ate a dose of skratch gummies every 45 minutes but no liquid. I'm good about drink water daily and had a serving of skratch pre-workout about 30 min before my "run/walk". I've varied my intervals from 60w/30r to 30w/15r, my pace remains about the same. Last run was 40w/20r for 1/2 mile then walk 1/2 mile. I have no health issues but am anaerobic unless my walk is 60s.

I'm slow, my 5k and half pace aren't much different - finishing about 16 min/mile.

I've order 2x8oz bottles for a spi belt.

My goal is to have a great experience with some great friends. (They're young and/or fit)

All suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

This will be my 4th half, the last was 10 years and 30 lbs. ago., I'm now 57. The last was Wine and Dine at night! Osborne lights!!

I'm just starting to understand the importance of hydration. Last weekend was 9.5 and the last 1.5 was awfully painful in my legs. I haven't been hydrating during a run, silly me I hasn't been warm so I didn't think it was important. The leg cramps were painful, I blamed it on the change in weather.

I ate a dose of skratch gummies every 45 minutes but no liquid. I'm good about drink water daily and had a serving of skratch pre-workout about 30 min before my "run/walk". I've varied my intervals from 60w/30r to 30w/15r, my pace remains about the same. Last run was 40w/20r for 1/2 mile then walk 1/2 mile. I have no health issues but am anaerobic unless my walk is 60s.

I'm slow, my 5k and half pace aren't much different - finishing about 16 min/mile.

My goal is to have a great experience with some great friends. (They're young and/or fit)

First, don't worry about your age. I ran my first HM 7 years ago at age 58 and I meet lots of folks who are much older than I am and still going strong.

Read this thread starting a few pages back (starting last Saturday or Sunday) and you will see a lot of strategies for hydrating. What works for others may not work for you, but you have time to experiment, starting with a basic, simple strategy. There will be water and sports drinks on the course; you can supplement that if you wish with gels or gummies, or just about anything else that works for you.

I was discussing ways to run faster (I'm about 12 min/mile for a HM) with a running coach a couple of years ago and he told me nicely but sincerely that the best way for me might be to keep the same training but also to loose 10 pounds (I'm a guy weighing around 215 pounds). I ran the Wine & Dine HM two weeks ago about 10 pounds heavier than last year and it took a toll. The time between now and January is not conducive to losing weight, but I am going to lose at least 15 pounds before Marathon Weekend (5 down, 10+ more to go).

Others can comment on your leg cramps as I'm not knowledgeable enough on the causes and solutions to offer advice.

I'm also running the HM during Marathon Weekend. Many of the folks on this board will have a meet-up at Hurricane Hannahs and I hope you choose to join us.

SAFD:

Old school movie - Any of the Herbie movies!

Nutrition - I'm getting better at this!

- Night before - I haven't come across anything (so far, knock wood) that I can't eat, but I like to be careful about the timing of this meal. I would like it to be at least 10 hours (preferably 12) before my last opportunity to use a real bathroom. Wine & Dine was my first really hot long race so I tried to be conscious of hydrating the day before.

- Pre-race - I need "real food" before a race. My go-to right now is Triscuits, cheese and deli turkey meat. For Wine & Dine, I found a prepackaged meal with these items in them at Publix, but at home, I just put my own together. And a banana! Can't forget the banana. I usually don't feel like eating this, but I make myself because I know that I will need it later. I try to eat this at least an hour before my run.

- Race day - I envy the people who can run a half marathon with little fuel. I look like a chipmunk with different kinds of fuel stashed everywhere. I start out with 2 - 10 ounce bottles of Tailwind on my hydration belt, two small pill bottles of Sports beans, a couple of Honey Stinger waffles, and two packets of applesauce. And usually go through most it without any trouble! I really need to stay ahead of things and if I get behind on fueling, it's hard for me to "catch up."

- Post-race - I need to eat something substantial post-race. I start out with chocolate milk mainly because it is simple and easy to get down. On my list of "things to try" is Tailwind's recovery drink because I think that it could serve the same purpose. Then I try to get a substantial meal with protein in it within an hour - even if I don't feel like it. After my first half marathon, I made the mistake of not eating much. When I did finally eat, I was sooooo nauseous. I was at the parks and I literally planted myself on a bench all evening because I didn't trust myself on anything that moved. I learned my lesson and definitely won't do that again.

What about kids/small mits? I would cut the thumb (you can use the thumb remains to cover the band near the ears) and cover the ears with the rest. This might leave an opening that will allow for where the bow is attached.

ETA: Here is a picture of the sock/thumb cover I used in 2020 to protect the back of the ears from the itchy sequins. I just slipped it on.
View attachment 719188

If you don't want to sew them on, you could create a little drawstring bag for each ear and just tie them on at the base.

Or glue/sew some velcro onto the inside of them (assuming fabric would cling to the velcro). Not as pretty but once over the ear you could also safety in it tight so it will not slip off.

If the goal is to make the costume look right from the front and the back doesn’t matter, you could cut the fabric you want, wrap it around the ear, and tie the excess off in the back with a mini hair tie or rubber band.
I am SO glad I asked here, because y’all are a bunch of geniuses! So many good suggestions, I can’t even decide which to try first, lol! Thank you all very much! :flower:

Re: hydration strategies, my only “strategy” is that like you, I stay hydrated all of the time outside of running, then for running I carry a bottle and take a sip (probably amounts to around an ounce) every 1/2 mile. I have an alert set on my running AP to tell me time and pace each 1/2 mile, and that’s when I switch my bottle to the opposite hand an take a sip.

I do only water in cold weather, because I’m getting more than enough electrolytes from my gels But I’m in FL where heat is extreme and frequent: in warm and hot weather, I add Nuun to my water to push the sodium.

- Race day - I envy the people who can run a half marathon with little fuel. I look like a chipmunk with different kinds of fuel stashed everywhere.
LOL I completely relate to this statement! So. Many. Gels and packets.

I miss the Osborne Lights! Based on what you shared sounds like you have a good run/walk interval plan going. And hitting 16 minute miles will get you to the finish line!

I am no expert, there are a lot of runners on here with way more experience and knowledge than I but I had a couple thoughts. If you are experiencing muscle cramps then definitely increase your electrolytes and salt intake. Not sure where home is for you, but WDW is most likely going to be warm, sunny and humid during the race. If you don’t Reilly drink a lot of water then days before long runs and the Half increase water and electrolyte intake.

Continue focusing on aerobic running. Go easy, this will be your best bet to building strength for the half marathon and ultimately that gives you more speed.

@Kerry1957 mentioned the meet up at Hurricane Hannah’s on Friday. We also will be have early morning prerace meetups. Please attend any you want! Details will be worked out soon.

Lastly, don’t give age a second thought. Age is just the number that reminds us how lucky we are; because we either get old or we don’t!

The leg cramps were painful, I blamed it on the change in weather.

Pickle Juice. A lot of people swear by it.

I am training up north in the cold weather and it does get tough to keep your electrolytes and hydration right when you have icicles on your nose. I typically get foot cramps around this time of year when we have 5-7 weeks left in the training plan.

My latest love is pitted olives and that salty brine they marinate in. It seems to help.

SAFD: Late, but getting caught up.
Favorite old-school movie: This was so hard. Probably Lion King. I have 4 brothers. We had this movie on VHS I think and watched it all the time. Because we had so many kids, we could assign roles and on road trips we would act out the entire movie in the car word for word.

Nutrition: I always eat prerun. At home I have superhero muffins from the rise and run cookbook and a cup of coffee before runs more than hour. Shorter ones get a verb bar and some water. On race day I eat more, especially before Disney races because you are waiting around for so long. Usually a bagel or oatmeal at the hotel then bring something small like a granola bar or a honey stinger waffle to the corrals. During the race, I use gels. Tried chews and found I had stomach problems as I increased the amount I was using. Currently, I fuel during every race longer than a 10k. I get hypoglycemic and have increased my fueling each year as I run more. Every increase has led to a better race experience. It‘s so weird to me that people do a HM on no fuel or like 1 gel. I run a barely over 2 hr HM and use 3 (I can get away with 2, but 3 feels better). I carry all my fuel so every pair of shorts or leggings is required to have pockets. I start at mile 3.5, then do every 3.5 miles after that. Mainly I use gu, dessert flavored ones. For marathon training I am mixing it up a little to hopefully avoid my gut rebelling against all the straight sugar. I have rotated gu and Muir, and mixed in Maurten 100 (to lessen the water load/sloshy stomach) on my 16 milers. Seems to be working for me. I only drink water during a race. I carry some of my own water sometimes. At Disney, I usually rely on the aid stations but will probably bring a small handheld for the marathon so I can get some extra fluids in between stations.
I also don’t have a problem eating post long run/race. I like salty, carby things like fries but also love breakfast foods. My first stop after a Disney race is usually the food court at my resort for second breakfast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter