Marathon Weekend 2023

The Des Plaines River Trail I run on goes 53 miles from the Wisconsin/Illinois border to the western suburbs of Chicago. There is a variety of terrain from grassy savannas to deep forest and from three feet wide dirt trail to eight feet wide crushed limestone. Here are a few random pics.
DPRT05.jpgDPRT1.jpgDPRT2.jpgDPRT.jpg

Last edited:
When in Georgia, I do most of my runs on the Big Creek Greenway. Pictures are from the Forsyth County portion, although because of repairs closing down large chunks of it right now, I've had to move to the Alpharetta portion for anything over 8-9 miles. Credit for the photos goes to Ilka Zegeye on the Friends of Forysth Greenway page.

Greenway 2.jpgGreenway 3.jpgGreenway meadow.jpg

Not pictured is the Bluebonnet Trail in Plano where I do my runs when in Texas during the week. Essentially a 6-10 ft. wide path that goes for about 5 miles under powerlines right outside mypartment there. May not be the prettiest, but it gets the job done!

As for training, knock wood, but so far so good. First time that I can remember ebing this far into a training plan and not dealing with an injury here or there. As I complete each week my confidence has been growing and I really feel pretty good considering my miles are back at a spot where normally I start to break down. Now just need to hold it together for a few more weeks...

Looking for opinions on a post-marathon Capture Your Moment session...

I did it once the last day of Princess Weekend (when it was only available at MK and cheaper) and got some great medal photos. I don't know why but I just thought of doing it again to celebrate my first Dopey, but of course there are no afternoon time slots available in MK that day (I head home that evening so another day isn't an option). There are openings in the other parks, but I'm not interested in AK and I can't think of a spot in HS that would be worthwhile in my opinion. Epcot might be nice, but I don't have any pavilion in mind. Right now I'm thinking my options are:

1. Check the website regularly and see if any afternoon spots open up for the day of the marathon (I doubt it, but I guess it's possible).
2. Book a Capture Your Moment session in another park (probably EPCOT) and start thinking about which offered locations I'd be most interested in (also considering in the event of bad weather, what would be the best location to still make it worthwhile).
3. Wait and book a MK session the last day of Springtime Surprise, and bring all of my 2023 medals (which would be all races from MW, PW, and SS).
4. Don't bother with any of the above and just do some photopass shots in MK after the marathon (which is my usual plan the last day of the races).

Thoughts?

I'd go with a combo of 3 and 4.

I had good luck with the photopass photographers at MK after this year's Dopey, and it was something I was already paying for. If the photos aren't GREAT you know you still have the session after Springtime Surprise. And with the individual attention the CYM gives you, you could easily do some really cool stuff with different combos of medals.

SAFD: I’m in DC, and love the options we have here for flat, paved, stoplight-less routes. My shorter runs are mostly on the mall, which satisfies the first two of those three criteria, but for my longer ones I often add in some combo of Anacostia Riverwalk, Mt. Vernon, or Capital Crescent trails. I also particularly love the new bridge that was just built in my neighborhood with a much wider pedestrian section. I may be traveling for my 20 miler, so I welcome advice on similar routes in/near Portland, Oregon.

04d1197d-c828-41e7-a0c0-07c03755ba2d-jpeg.720115

C283B100-496B-4D65-9D5A-547F02E74539.jpeg
E8344523-DC01-4C0A-A787-AE68820FCF11.jpeg

My training has… not been going well 😖 I don’t run for pace, I just run what feels good (and without stops, my knees can’t handle starting up again). My easy pace suddenly got faster two years ago, almost overnight, but in the past couple months has crept back to slower than when I first started running. I don’t mind the number changing, but I don’t like that it feels harder too. My knee arthritis and hip flexor issues have also gotten a bit worse, so I’m just concentrating on getting myself to the start line in one piece- whatever happens from there happens! Today’s 15 would have felt great without the knees/hips- I’m weird in that I kind of love tough running conditions and get some energy/mood boost from them. I got hot in the 33 feels like 22 and laughed my way through the wind gusts that almost pushed me backwards 🤷‍♀️ I’ll take that over Florida heat any day, but only for running- I’m in a jacket if the temps go below 80 otherwise!

Attachments

• 04D1197D-C828-41E7-A0C0-07C03755BA2D.jpeg
    04D1197D-C828-41E7-A0C0-07C03755BA2D.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 259
SAFD: NYC really is a runner's paradise; spoiled for available running routes, and never been a lone runner (no matter what time of day). Some recent choice shots while on runs:
E6DBBF95-50DE-44E2-B2BE-1BAFBC203867.jpeg
Along the Jackie O reservoir in Central Park at sunrise
2EC66B28-7E65-441F-83D9-1432945524F0.jpeg
Looking towards Bethesda Fountain in Central Park
B8AEF51F-82E4-498A-8B5B-38C09F4D18AC.jpeg
The Intrepid Museum along the Hudson River Greenway
BF27A968-0F75-4F26-BEAB-0095F0895DAD.jpeg
The Little Red Lighthouse under the George Washington Bridge along the Hudson River Greenway

SAFD: I’m in DC, and love the options we have here for flat, paved, stoplight-less routes. My shorter runs are mostly on the mall, which satisfies the first two of those three criteria, but for my longer ones I often add in some combo of Anacostia Riverwalk, Mt. Vernon, or Capital Crescent trails. I also particularly love the new bridge that was just built in my neighborhood with a much wider pedestrian section. I may be traveling for my 20 miler, so I welcome advice on similar routes in/near Portland, Oregon.

04d1197d-c828-41e7-a0c0-07c03755ba2d-jpeg.720115

View attachment 720116
View attachment 720117

My training has… not been going well 😖 I don’t run for pace, I just run what feels good (and without stops, my knees can’t handle starting up again). My easy pace suddenly got faster two years ago, almost overnight, but in the past couple months has crept back to slower than when I first started running. I don’t mind the number changing, but I don’t like that it feels harder too. My knee arthritis and hip flexor issues have also gotten a bit worse, so I’m just concentrating on getting myself to the start line in one piece- whatever happens from there happens! Today’s 15 would have felt great without the knees/hips- I’m weird in that I kind of love tough running conditions and get some energy/mood boost from them. I got hot in the 33 feels like 22 and laughed my way through the wind gusts that almost pushed me backwards 🤷‍♀️ I’ll take that over Florida heat any day, but only for running- I’m in a jacket if the temps go below 80 otherwise!

Your last picture looks very similar to my most common training spot! It's funny, I always see and say hello to many of the same people there every day. That boardwalk is like an old friend, reliable and always there for me.

SAFD: winter running situation
247E8670-C03B-4F2E-B377-D70CB0E6F053.jpeg

The “good weather” months look nicer. 😂
1C65D2AA-A6C4-457C-A1B1-8A7FC49737C4.jpeg
4C93192E-4E28-4BF9-826D-5FB628F4F500.jpeg

As for how training is going….last week was basically a dumpster fire, and I may be forced to make a massive schedule change since it looks like DD may be done napping. Going to do my best to get back on track this week, although DS1&2 start basketball on Monday so that might impact things too.

SAFD:

AE218CBC-0ED4-4D60-9592-385C61433C91.jpeg
202 Parkway Trail in Bucks/Montgomery Counties in PA. This is a paved trail that runs about 10 miles and it’s got some good rolling hills sections. This is my go to spot for long runs that aren’t intervals of 6.

463F6762-ED08-4A9F-9302-A5DB1BAD9A70.jpeg
Peace Valley Park in Chalfont/Doylestown, PA. This is my go to spot for intervals of 6 because it’s a 6 mile paved loop and I hate having to run past my car and then turn around. 😂

E1389EDF-962E-43F6-AA33-FE6731A8BCFF.jpeg
A picture I took in my neighborhood of a spot where there’s a gap between houses due to the power lines. 🙂

Training: Training is going really well. I ran the Philly Marathon this morning and had such a great race. I used a DopeyBadger plan (as mentioned in previous posts) and I felt so calm and prepared before this race, even with my longest run only being 14 miles and some training issues in the second half of my peak month last month. I decided to trust the process and boy, am I glad I did. Now I just have to see what he has up his sleeve to bridge me into Dopey. I’m feeling great about it though.

SAFD: I’m slightly jealous of where everyone runs! I don’t have any photos of where I usually run, but you’re not missing anything. I just run on the road in the subdivisions around my house.

As for training, it’s going better. I had issues with my IT band earlier, but that seems to be better. Running has been pain free which is amazing (except for the cow run, which between the hills and heat kicked my butt, but I finished it)

Looking for opinions on a post-marathon Capture Your Moment session...

I did it once the last day of Princess Weekend (when it was only available at MK and cheaper) and got some great medal photos. I don't know why but I just thought of doing it again to celebrate my first Dopey, but of course there are no afternoon time slots available in MK that day (I head home that evening so another day isn't an option). There are openings in the other parks, but I'm not interested in AK and I can't think of a spot in HS that would be worthwhile in my opinion. Epcot might be nice, but I don't have any pavilion in mind. Right now I'm thinking my options are:

1. Check the website regularly and see if any afternoon spots open up for the day of the marathon (I doubt it, but I guess it's possible).
2. Book a Capture Your Moment session in another park (probably EPCOT) and start thinking about which offered locations I'd be most interested in (also considering in the event of bad weather, what would be the best location to still make it worthwhile).
3. Wait and book a MK session the last day of Springtime Surprise, and bring all of my 2023 medals (which would be all races from MW, PW, and SS).
4. Don't bother with any of the above and just do some photopass shots in MK after the marathon (which is my usual plan the last day of the races).

Thoughts?
Random, but I got a promotion right after our leadership team got a new round of headshots and missed out. So I treated myself to a CYM at DHS and I LOVED it. I'm probably biased because it's my fave park, but there are some great spots down sunset boulevard if you change your mind. They'll even let you walk up the non-access side of ToT for pics!

SAFD: Some shots from the duck pond trail - one of my favorite places in the world. And it comes with running buddies!

IMG-3826.jpg
IMG-4041.jpg

SAFD: My usual view is my treadmill and the TV.

20221120_121155.jpg

But my favorite view is from the campsite runs I did back in late September in the Grand Teton area. Yes, that's a moose bedded down in the second image. Don't worry, she wasn't interested in me at all -- but her boyfriend came to call a little later and they got pretty close to our campsite!

20220925_145813.jpg 20220925_144930.jpg 20220925_193302.jpg

As for my training, it's a bit of a hot mess thanks to a demanding work schedule and lingering cold, but I'm not giving up hope on finishing Dopey upright yet!

Ack! I've been lucky so far, we'll see 😅

As long as you give them space when they want to cross the path from the river to the woods, they're usually pretty calm. The geese, on the other hand...
I'm also scared of the geese! And falling trees... And red winged blackbirds.... And slipping on ice.... And exercise induced anaphylaxis ... And running without several witnesses nearby... And that may be it, but who knows what tomorrow will bring!

Last edited:
I'd go with a combo of 3 and 4.

I had good luck with the photopass photographers at MK after this year's Dopey, and it was something I was already paying for. If the photos aren't GREAT you know you still have the session after Springtime Surprise. And with the individual attention the CYM gives you, you could easily do some really cool stuff with different combos of medals.
Good points! I’m definitely going to MK for some Photopass photos after the race (and a shower), but I like the idea that I can get even more photos at a later time. Thanks for the input!

Random, but I got a promotion right after our leadership team got a new round of headshots and missed out. So I treated myself to a CYM at DHS and I LOVED it. I'm probably biased because it's my fave park, but there are some great spots down sunset boulevard if you change your mind. They'll even let you walk up the non-access side of ToT for pics!
Sounds like your headshot is the most meaningful! Believe it or not HS is also one of my favorite parks (tied with MK). I just can’t think of any particular spots that I’d request for photos when asked, and I’m not at all a TOT fan lol. I rode it once but that was enough for me :duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter