• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2023

I have not done a Galloway plan. I trained for my first (and only) marathon using the Hal Higdon novice plan. Does Chris Twiggs charge money for custom plans? Or does creating a custom plan on the Galloway website also cost money? If so, how much? I am also not sure what CTP is. 😬

CTP is a six-month subscription for $148 (which is pretty darn cheap IMHO, renewals are even cheaper). This includes an initial plan, every modification that you need/want to make for those six months (add a race, miss a run, need to tweak the schedule because you are going on vacation, etc.), weekly Zoom calls with Chris, private Facebook group to connect with other people using CTP to name a few benefits. While it is similar to the free Galloway plans on the runDisney website, with CTP, you have an expert available 24/7 (or close to it) to customize it to your needs and schedule.

Also, I've found that the runDisney plans don't incorporate some the subtle things that the Galloway method does to get you the training that you need without the risk of injuries. For instance, when jumping up mileage (in my case, going from 11 to 15 to 17), Chris will add some walking at the beginning and end so you get the benefit of "time on feet" without the pounding that your body might not be ready to handle yet. When you are to do your training in a compressed timeline, doing too much too fast is probably your biggest obstacle.

If you want to learn more about CTP, here is the link:

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/customized-training/

Chris also did a two episodes on the Rise and Run podcast back in May. If you are on the fence about signing up, I would definitely listen to these.

https://riseandrun.buzzsprout.com/

I have not done a Galloway plan. I trained for my first (and only) marathon using the Hal Higdon novice plan. Does Chris Twiggs charge money for custom plans? Or does creating a custom plan on the Galloway website also cost money? If so, how much? I am also not sure what CTP is. 😬
CTP=Customized Training Program(or plan?) and is the customized training you get via Chris Twigg. The galloway method/plan does not cost money, though there are books and things you could buy, but not necessary. Plenty of info online for that. The customized plans do cost money, I believe it's $150 for a 6 month plan and then $75 for any 6 months after that.

I remember a checkbox about proof of time and I also remember checking the acknowledgement box but mine is now unchecked as well. My POT is still there at least. I realize at this point we are only two, but I'm guessing it's some sort of Disney IT issue and it won't cause any problems.

It's showing the same for wine and dine so I should know in a month or so if that unchecked box comes back to haunt me.

Mine is unchecked as well, but my POT is still there.

Are orange slices (or the like) a normal thing that you’ve seen during races? Fruit-wise, I’ve never seen anything other than bananas on course during a road race that’s marathon distance or shorter. I’ve seen plenty of orange slices once you get up to the veritable buffets of ultra aid stations, though. Just curious.
I've done one race- the provo half marathon that had orange slices and bananas at least at two stations, maybe three. They were also running a marathon currently, so that probably factored in. It was delightful!

The Cherry Blossom 10-Miler here in DC has an orange slice table. A very pleasant and refreshing surprise!
Must have missed that :( But did see the oreos and beer table! (Not an official aid station)

Speaking of too sweet, the Hot Chocolate 5k/15k usually has mini marshmallows and (iirc) gummy bears at aid stations. Then of course there's the hot chocolate and chocolate fondue with lots of things to dip with at the finish.

Must have missed that :( But did see the oreos and beer table! (Not an official aid station)

Speaking of too sweet, the Hot Chocolate 5k/15k usually has mini marshmallows and (iirc) gummy bears at aid stations. Then of course there's the hot chocolate and chocolate fondue with lots of things to dip with at the finish.
I wish my local Hot Chocolate run was actually in winter, instead of April. With any luck, April is too late for real hot chocolate weather

Are orange slices (or the like) a normal thing that you’ve seen during races? Fruit-wise, I’ve never seen anything other than bananas on course during a road race that’s marathon distance or shorter. I’ve seen plenty of orange slices once you get up to the veritable buffets of ultra aid stations, though. Just curious.
Marine Corps Marathon used to have an orange slice station (the last time I ran it was 2017 so that may have changed). I'm certain I've had them at other marathons too but those may have been from spectators/neighbors rather than an official aid station.

Can anyone enlighten me on the ESPN beer cups and the tent in the start/finish area? I'm trying to come up with things for DH to do during the full (and possibly around when I would finish the half) because I'm pretty sure he's going to be bored out of his mind by then. And I may have suggested that he just get a WWoS cup on expo day and just day drink in the finish area while he waits for me. :rotfl2: But I'm not 100% sure how the cup and "beer tent" actually work aside from it being like a refillable popcorn bucket.

Can anyone enlighten me on the ESPN beer cups and the tent in the start/finish area? I'm trying to come up with things for DH to do during the full (and possibly around when I would finish the half) because I'm pretty sure he's going to be bored out of his mind by then. And I may have suggested that he just get a WWoS cup on expo day and just day drink in the finish area while he waits for me. :rotfl2: But I'm not 100% sure how the cup and "beer tent" actually work aside from it being like a refillable popcorn bucket.

From what I have read about this, at Expo you can buy a refillable beer cup. It's like $15 for the first beer/cup and then refills are around $7. Bring the cup to the finish line area. If the tent that serves beer is using the same cup, you can use the cup to get the $7 refills. But if they are using a different "themed" cup, I believe you have to buy that specific cup to get the refills.

From what I have read about this, at Expo you can buy a refillable beer cup. It's like $15 for the first beer/cup and then refills are around $7. Bring the cup to the finish line area. If the tent that serves beer is using the same cup, you can use the cup to get the $7 refills. But if they are using a different "themed" cup, I believe you have to buy that specific cup to get the refills.
OK that lines up with what I figured it was. Anyone know how early it opens? Hahahahaha!

Is he planning to go to the start with you and then wait around until you finish? If I were in his shoes I'd probably skip the start and just try to see you finish so I wasn't up as early. If I did go to the start I would probably take Disney transportation to a resort, have some breakfast, hang out, and them come back to see you finish. For the full I'd probably go to the Poly for breakfast and then head out to see you run past there.

Is he planning to go to the start with you and then wait around until you finish? If I were in his shoes I'd probably skip the start and just try to see you finish so I wasn't up as early. If I did go to the start I would probably take Disney transportation to a resort, have some breakfast, hang out, and them come back to see you finish. For the full I'd probably go to the Poly for breakfast and then head out to see you run past there.
This is very good advice for the full! A quick monorail ride to the TTC, then a short walk to Tonga Toast at Captain Cook's. Depending on timing, he could cheer you on as you ran past the TTC, or looped back around near Shades of Green. Or just enjoy his tonga toast in peace.

Good Morning runDIsney All-stars!
Apologies for the late SAFD, for got to send before my long run today…. Anyway, for today.

Name an attraction that has passed it prime, but is worth updating. Any suggestions?

Carousel of Progress. I love the ride/show, but when the future scene at the end comes around and we see it makes me giggle a little. This is a must to ride for me every trip (most of my family groans when I bring it up though). But maybe jumping further between periods and finishing at least in this century would be good. Have a good week all!

SAFD

I agree with Carousel of Progress. The last scene needs to change and there are several possibilities:
  • Update it to a future oriented scene
  • Make it a 1960s or 1980s or even a 2000s, with the dated technology of the time. For example, the voice activated oven never really caught on like Siri or Alexa.
The overall storyline seems to demand a future orientation. But there is just too big of a gap going from 1900 to 1920 to 1940 to the future for a smooth transition. Would it be heresy to consider taking out the 1920s and making it 1900s to 1940s to 1980s to future?

SAFD: Journey Into Imagination. I loved the original and want something worth of Figment there.

I used to think CoP needed a new ending but I've come to a different opinion. I think that last scene should stick with what was "expected" in the 1980. I look at the attraction now as retro-futurism and how the 1960s thought the 1980s (or early 90s) would be. Chasing the future is hard and something Tomorrowland always struggled with but that expected future is set and nostalgic IMO.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter