• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD: I'll take things to the other side of the park from CoP. I love The Enchanted Tiki Room, but it's really time to update the technology and the story there. The clicking and clacking of the animatronics just doesn’t cut it in this day and age. I still love it and will always pay it a visit, but it's crying out for an upgrade. I think you could easily keep the heart and feel of the current set up while introducing a story with Moana, Te Fiti/Te Ka and Maui. Bonus points if you could work Tamatoa in there, too.

Last edited:
SAFD:

My brain when I get in line for Space Mountain: “They’d never let people on this unless it was completely safe. The liability and bad press would cost them way too much for them to risk anything bad happening.”

My brain when I’m mid-ride on Space Mountain: “There’s no way this is safe. Please don’t let my vehicle be the one that derails and causes them to close this death trap.”

While I understand the nostalgia for Space Mountain my argument for an update is based on several factors:

1. What is the reasonable remaining life on the current ride mechanism? If it will need to replaced eventually what is the argument for delaying it now (outside of the obvious, money).

2. The ride breaks down a lot. This leads to both extended planned refurbishment shutdowns and day to day unplanned maintenance. Space Mountain should be able to eat large amounts of crowd and it is currently unreliable to achieve this goal.

3. Ride technology has advanced immeasurably since Space Mountain debuted. How do you balance nostalgia vs Space Mountain’s place as a legitimate park icon? If you remain with the current ride Space Mountain will continue to fall down the list of memorable park experiences. For many it is already an afterthought.

A complete overhaul would allow for new design and technology to be implemented that would allow Space Mountain to accommodate more guests, more reliably and elevate it back to park icon status. My only concern would be that Disney would feel the need to pigeonhole IP into any reimagining.

SAFD:

My brain when I get in line for Space Mountain: “They’d never let people on this unless it was completely safe. The liability and bad press would cost them way too much for them to risk anything bad happening.”

My brain when I’m mid-ride on Space Mountain: “There’s no way this is safe. Please don’t let my vehicle be the one that derails and causes them to close this death trap.”

While I understand the nostalgia for Space Mountain my argument for an update is based on several factors:

1. What is the reasonable remaining life on the current ride mechanism? If it will need to replaced eventually what is the argument for delaying it now (outside of the obvious, money).

2. The ride breaks down a lot. This leads to both extended planned refurbishment shutdowns and day to day unplanned maintenance. Space Mountain should be able to eat large amounts of crowd and it is currently unreliable to achieve this goal.

3. Ride technology has advanced immeasurably since Space Mountain debuted. How do you balance nostalgia vs Space Mountain’s place as a legitimate park icon? If you remain with the current ride Space Mountain will continue to fall down the list of memorable park experiences. For many it is already an afterthought.

A complete overhaul would allow for new design and technology to be implemented that would allow Space Mountain to accommodate more guests, more reliably and elevate it back to park icon status. My only concern would be that Disney would feel the need to pigeonhole IP into any reimagining.
I would settle for a version that didn't require a visit to a chiropractor afterwards.

I think you could easily keep the heart and feel of the current set up while introducing a story with Moana, Te Fiti/Te Ka and Maui. Bonus points if you could work Tamatoa in there, too.
This is a great idea. Disney should hire you immediately.
My only concern would be that Disney would feel the need to pigeonhole IP into any reimagining.
Yes. Keep space mountain just stars. They could do some beautiful galaxy imagery with an upgrade too.

SAFD: I'll take things to the other side of the park from CoP. I love The Enchanted Tiki Room, but it's really time to update the technology and the story there. The clicking and clacking of the animatronics just don't cut it in this day and age. I still love it and will always pay it a visit, but it's crying out for an upgrade. I think you could easily keep the heart and feel of the current set up while introducing a story with Moana, Te Fiti/Te Ka and Maui. Bonus points if you could work Tamatoa in there, too.
Well we know what happened when they tried to put ip in there last time….

SAFD….
I’d say as plus up Figment (Justice for Dreamfinder!!!) or country bears

SAFD: How about Small World? That could definitely use some updating I think...and maybe a new song...
That song is a classic! Can't touch the song! The ride needs some updating though. I wish they would do a better job of hiding the ceiling panels and the jagged edges of the holes that somebody hacked into them.

But there is just too big of a gap going from 1900 to 1920 to 1940 to the future for a smooth transition. Would it be heresy to consider taking out the 1920s and making it 1900s to 1940s to 1980s to future?
It's always bien my feeling, like there is way too much difference in the last scene compared to the previous scenes

SAFD:

Space Mountain is my favorite ride in all of Magic Kingdom and I agree with you. I don't think it needs to have IP added or even the layout changed. I think a renovation like what Cedar Point did with Mean Streak is in order. Provided the support structure is sound new track technology and ride vehicles to match would allow the ride to be smoother without changing a lot. Speakers could be added to the cars for audio (didn't they do that in one of the parks?) but I'd just want orchestra music, not anything like Guardians or RnRC.

Space Mountain is my favorite ride in all of Magic Kingdom and I agree with you. I don't think it needs to have IP added or even the layout changed. I think a renovation like what Cedar Point did with Mean Streak is in order. Provided the support structure is sound new track technology and ride vehicles to match would allow the ride to be smoother without changing a lot. Speakers could be added to the cars for audio (didn't they do that in one of the parks?) but I'd just want orchestra music, not anything like Guardians or RnRC.

I think it would be totally plausible for them to update the ride with new vehicles and smoother/more reliable support structure while virtually replicating the current track. Updating the audio with either remasters of the original soundtrack or new recordings. That’s what I would be looking for in an update. Merely modernizing the original intent of the attraction.

If/when they do update Space Mountain I hope this is how they’d approach it. But, I know there have been Star Wars tie ins for other versions of the ride in other parks so I’m not sure. I’d like to think that since MK Space Mountain is the original they’d do their best to keep it true to the original design.

ETA: My favorite version of Space Mountain is during MNSSHP when they turn off all the lights and change up the soundtrack. It was amazing when they were playing metal for a few years; it was legitimately cool/scary. That’s probably why when I went on it this year during the party there was a much more subdued soundtrack. I’m guessing the feedback from people who aren’t me wasn’t as glowing.

Last edited:
SAFD: Spaceship Earth - I love it for the nostalgia and for how iconic and unique it is, but ending with Steve Jobs (I think it's him?) in the garage making the first home computer cuts out the progress of the last 40+ years. They could maybe add a new scene at the very top of the sphere before you rotate to head back down.
Also feel like CoP needs some updating, and I would love to see Journey into Imagination returned to something closer to the original.

SAFD: I'm going to go on a limb and say Tomorrowland Speedway. It's an opening day attraction, and it looks cool for something from 1971. But it's 50 years later, and the only real change to it has been shortening the track to make room for other things. Can't they find cars with more efficient engines, or at least some with better emissions?

My first thought was Enchantment, but that would imply that there was a peak to be coming down from....... >.>;;

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter