Marathon Weekend 2023

I have a question regarding submitting POT. I recently ran a half at 2:23:59. Would I be better off submitting this time, or submitting no POT and putting my estimated finish for the marathon at 4:30-5:00. Does anyone know if a POT over 2:15 is used at all? I am doing Dopey in 2023. Thanks! :)

I have a question regarding submitting POT. I recently ran a half at 2:23:59. Would I be better off submitting this time, or submitting no POT and putting my estimated finish for the marathon at 4:30-5:00. Does anyone know if a POT over 2:15 is used at all? I am doing Dopey in 2023. Thanks! :)

I think you'd be better off putting in an estimated 4:30-5:00 time. You need a half marathon time of better than 2:08, not 2:15, to support a sub-4:30 marathon, so your current time of 2:24 really isn't even on the borderline of supporting it. I'd go with the better safe than sorry approach here.

To my knowledge, there is zero benefit to submitting a POT that is that far from the cutoff. The theoretical upside to submitting the 2:23:59 POT is that they appropriately place you in the 4:30-5:00 starting group. The potential downside is that they place you in the last starting group for a POT that doesn't meet the cutoffs. The downside can be completely eliminated by not submitting the 2:23:59 POT at all and instead just choosing the 4:30-5:00 estimated finish.

1652710707237.png

POT (Proof of Time) Race Equivalency Cutoff Confirmed Times

SAFD: I've only been to DL once, about 20 years ago so I'm only ranking the WDW ones.

1) Everest- I love everything about this ride, particularly the single rider line!
2) Splash- I love that this ride is long, so I feel like it's really worth it. I'm glad they are changing up the theming and I hope it stays just as immersive as it is now.
3) BTMRR- Definitely this is a night ride!
4) Space- I like Space, but I feel like too many times I've not gotten a good ride on it. If you ride early in the morning, it's not as fast. Last time I rode after park closing and the lights on TTC were on and it spoiled it.
5) 7 dwarves- It's just too short!

I can't wait to try the Tron one. It looks so cool!

SAFD:
1) Splash - Love this ride. The theming and how long it is and the great drops
2) Everest - Really enjoy the backwards portion
3) 7 Dwarves - It's short and a kiddie coaster, but I just love the mine scene
4) BTMRR - Meh. It's just nothing special to me
5) Space - Too rough for me to handle anymore
6) Matterhorn - Only rode this once and it was so uncomfortable and rough I swore never again!

SAFD:

I'm only doing WDW (only been to DL once, over 5 years ago)

1) Everest - my all-time fave park, love the theming, love the ride, love the queue, love the single-rider line!
2) Splash - I love how long it is and all the detail/theming - I CAN'T WAIT to see the new theming
3) BTMRR - just a fun ride, nostalgic, cute details, fun at night
4) Space - a fun ride, nostalgic, I like being in the dark, but it's just soooooo jerky now
4) 7 Dwarves - interesting ride mechanics, some cute details, but it's just TOO SHORT

This is all to say, I do still enjoy all of these rides, lol

SAFD:
1. Everest - Thrilling smooth ride and great theming.
2. Space Mountain (DL version) - I like the side by side seating and music at DL. The WDW version would probably rank last because of my need to see a chiropractor after I ride it.
3. Matterhorn - This used to be like WDW Space Mountain, very rough and painful to ride. I nearly didn't go on it on my last visit. I'm glad I did. It's so much smoother now and the Abominable Snowman moves, where it used to be stationary. I loved how they refurbished it.
4. Thunder - I prefer the Disney version because of better effects that could easily be added to WDW, but I enjoy both.
5. Splash
6. 7 Dwarves.

1. Everest - It's all about the story-telling.
2. Big Thunder (DL is the better version)
3. Space - I was afraid to go on this as a kid. This shouldn't matter, but it does.
4. Splash
5. seven Dwarfs - Fun...Feels way too short.

I vaguely remember riding Matterhorn. Probably better than last place but I don't feel comfortable ranking it.

SAFD

1. Space Mountain at Disneyland with the Hyperspace overlay
2. Expedition Everest - I can only do this one once, but a great example of what sets WDW apart (a thrill ride with a story, amazing queue, etc.)
3. Splash Mountain WDW version - excited for the new overlay
4. WDW Space Mountain - another I can only do once
5. Big Thunder (DL version) - like a lighter version of EE as far as a thrill ride with theming, just less theming here
6. Seven Dwarves Mine Train - theming is A+++, nice and smooth
7. WDW Big Thunder - good but missing a few elements that are in the DL version
8. DL Splash Mountain - noticeable step down from the WDW version
9. Matterhorn - distant last place and the only mountain I do not like. I appreciate the nostalgia factor but I've been on this thing once and I don't remember anything about it except that it HURT. Never again.

SAFD: I've never been to DLR, so it's only WDW in my rankings...

1. Everest - theme + intensity + Disco yeti
2. Splash - a VERY close 2nd: the DROP! but gets dinged for being too wet for an easily chilled Floridian to ride most of the year
3. Space - a classic, my very first roller coaster back in 1977. darkness. bonus points for the chiropractic adjustment
4. Thunder - totally ambivalent about the ride itself, but fun, nostalgic love for memories of riding with my son
5. 7 Dwarves - meh. it's smooth... that's all I've got

SAFD: All DL (except dwarves) and all purely due to nostalgia. I've never been to AK, but all your answers are making me really want to ride Everest in January

1) Splash Mountain - especially at night and mainly for the drop
2) Space Mountain - though as a child, waited in line with my parents all the way to the front before freaking out and refusing to ride. oops
3) Big Thunder; Matterhorn -tied
5) 7 Dwarves - only been once

Just checking in to the thread to say that after the SAFD a few weekends ago about headphones or no on runs, I’ve started doing all but my long runs without them and I am loving it. My neighborhood is so quiet and peaceful; I’ve always known that but feel like I’m appreciating it more fully now.

Additionally, does anyone else use CityStrides? After a recommendation during that SAFD, I’ve started listening to the Will Run For podcast and heard it mentioned on there. I signed up and used it for my last two long runs to explore more streets in my city. It’s pretty neat.

Just checking in to the thread to say that after the SAFD a few weekends ago about headphones or no on runs, I’ve started doing all but my long runs without them and I am loving it. My neighborhood is so quiet and peaceful; I’ve always known that but feel like I’m appreciating it more fully now.

Additionally, does anyone else use CityStrides? After a recommendation during that SAFD, I’ve started listening to the Will Run For podcast and heard it mentioned on there. I signed up and used it for my last two long runs to explore more streets in my city. It’s pretty neat.
I almost always use headphones when running on the treadmill or locally. For Dopey I did not, there’s so much to take in on those runs there’s no need.

I have not used it personally but know a couple of people that are using it to run every street in whatever town. I know 1 guy who has finished his town and is now working on a neighboring town. I see his maps from time to time and it is a really neat idea. And forces some variety into your runs.

I’m a creature of habit, as my local City Strides map suggests. But as a Geographer, I fully endorse charting your territory completely. I have several colleagues who have finished their own towns and have moved on to neighboring communities.

Attachments

• 92B1764A-CDD4-4489-99A6-21FE44D1A531.jpeg
    92B1764A-CDD4-4489-99A6-21FE44D1A531.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 11

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter