Marathon Weekend 2023

I almost always use headphones when running on the treadmill or locally. For Dopey I did not, there’s so much to take in on those runs there’s no need.

Oh, I had a completely different take on headphones for Dopey.

That almost 5 mile stretch between Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom on the full marathon needs headphones. Out of the entire Dopey, that was the part that tested my resolve.

The elation from Magic Kingdom faded amongst the construction and the realization of how far the next park was - and that you weren't even halfway done when you left the Kingdom. Running around the construction and the sun coming up in my eyes.

It was hard.

Oh, I had a completely different take on headphones for Dopey.

That almost 5 mile stretch between Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom on the full marathon needs headphones. Out of the entire Dopey, that was the part that tested my resolve.

The elation from Magic Kingdom faded amongst the construction and the realization of how far the next park was - and that you weren't even halfway done when you left the Kingdom. Running around the construction and the sun coming up in my eyes.

It was hard.
Agreed that that stretch was the most dull, but I also just like to take in the entertainment around me, everyone's costumes, the music playing from spot to spot, and chat with my running partner. I always listen to podcasts or music on training runs to help me take my mind off the running, but for every mile of Dopey, I was just tuned into the race and trying to enjoy every moment of it!

If you use headphones, I would only suggest it for a few miles at a time when things get really boring on the highway, but otherwise, try to soak it all up! I ran my first Princess 10K and marathon weekend Half Marathon strictly for time and by listening to music. I really regretted that because I didn't get to enjoy the experience nearly as much as you do when you aren't listening to anything in your ears!

If you use headphones, I would only suggest it for a few miles at a time when things get really boring on the highway, but otherwise, try to soak it all up!

Agreed. I turn off my music as I head in to the parks or as I approach a DJ (luckily just a quick tap to the ears to turn off) and I have the noise cancelling feature turned off regardless.

I'll give an unsolicited third take on headphones at WDW... I need them to dampen the sound in the parks, and will often pause my music in the quiet highway stretches. IDK why playing my music doesn't bother me, but other ambient noise - cheering, traffic, them park din - I find very overstimulating.

I'll give an unsolicited third take on headphones at WDW... I need them to dampen the sound in the parks, and will often pause my music in the quiet highway stretches. IDK why playing my music doesn't bother me, but other ambient noise - cheering, traffic, them park din - I find very overstimulating.
During the race or just during recreational time at the park?

SAFD: (I'm super late because this week was just cuckoo.)
SAFD:
1. Big Thunder
2. Seven Dwarfs
3. Space

And I haven't been on the rest. Never been to DL, so no Matterhorn. My kids weren't interested in the "bigger" coasters (Everest) until the trip that I was pregnant and couldn't go on it. And I don't "do" rides where I have a reasonable chance of getting soaked. So lame.

Not-related to SAFD: United has already changed our flights for BOTH directions, making 1hr layovers in Chicago into 3hr layovers, which is pretty annoying, AND will change how we get to our flight. There's a chance we could cancel them and book elsewhere because of this, but IDK if I want to deal with the hassle, especially since we paid with Chase UR points to do it, and that usually makes things even more complicated when changes occur. Because it's our tiny regional airport, there's only one other flight that we could switch to, and I'm not interested because of how late it leaves (both directions) and the duration of the layovers.

Also, has anyone been watching car rental prices? Everything is still in the $90/day range that I'm finding. We *could* get around without a car for the week, but DH really prefers to have a car, and I agree that it's a lot more convenient in most situations.

i always drive down so i have my vehicle. 90/day seems outrageous!!!! yikes. gotta weigh cost vs benefit. remember you pay to park at resort too if staying onsite

Also, has anyone been watching car rental prices? Everything is still in the $90/day range that I'm finding. We *could* get around without a car for the week, but DH really prefers to have a car, and I agree that it's a lot more convenient in most situations.

I'm noticing most cars in the $60-$70/day range before fees (about $70-$80 after). Though I'm looking for a bit more than a week. How long do you need the car for?

SAFD: (I'm super late because this week was just cuckoo.)
SAFD:
1. Big Thunder
2. Seven Dwarfs
3. Space

And I haven't been on the rest. Never been to DL, so no Matterhorn. My kids weren't interested in the "bigger" coasters (Everest) until the trip that I was pregnant and couldn't go on it. And I don't "do" rides where I have a reasonable chance of getting soaked. So lame.

Not-related to SAFD: United has already changed our flights for BOTH directions, making 1hr layovers in Chicago into 3hr layovers, which is pretty annoying, AND will change how we get to our flight. There's a chance we could cancel them and book elsewhere because of this, but IDK if I want to deal with the hassle, especially since we paid with Chase UR points to do it, and that usually makes things even more complicated when changes occur. Because it's our tiny regional airport, there's only one other flight that we could switch to, and I'm not interested because of how late it leaves (both directions) and the duration of the layovers.

So annoying about your flights! This is what makes me hesitant to book a flight with United. They usually have the only non-stop option from my airport, but I’ve definitely had them change routes on me multiple times 🙄 I’m going to wait and see what Southwest comes out with before booking anything I think.

I’m definitely team car at WDW, it makes things so much faster. I haven’t looked at car prices yet, but YIKES. I’ll also be using CR points so that takes some of the sting out, but still…

Good Morning runDisney All-Stars! It is time for Sundays are for Disney.

What has been the best (funniest or inspirational) sign you have seen in the crowd while running a race at Disney or else where?

My answer: A few years back I was running the full thru Hollywood Studios and I saw a sign that read “Hurry up, we have fast passes for Slinky Dog”. Not sure why but it just hit me funny in the moment and I literally laughed out loud and told them I would due my best but they should go without me. They were also tossing out starbursts - so that may have helped my fond memory. Have a good week all!

Good Morning runDisney All-Stars! It is time for Sundays are for Disney.

What has been the best (funniest or inspirational) sign you have seen in the crowd while running a race at Disney or else where?

My answer: A few years back I was running the full thru Hollywood Studios and I saw a sign that read “Hurry up, we have fast passes for Slinky Dog”. Not sure why but it just hit me funny in the moment and I literally laughed out loud and told them I would due my best but they should go without me. They were also tossing out starbursts - so that may have helped my fond memory. Have a good week all!
F93F9DF8-FDEF-4E91-B815-8B7298BC8E35.jpeg

SAFD: I can’t not mention the lady who used to go to all the rD races with her sign that said “I’m proud of you, perfect stranger!“. This was before other people started copying the sign. I believe her name was Peggy Sue. She used a motorized scooter, and she would fill the basket with candy for the runners. She went to all the races back then (I first started rD races in 2013), and the runners looked for her especially. She was very kind and supportive. I remember seeing an article about her after she died, and reading how much it meant to her to be out there for the runners. She was terrific.

Signs I giggled at during MW:

"If Pete (Davis) and Kim (Kardashian) can be a couple, you can finish this half marathon!"--this one was near where you re-entered Epcot I think?

"Smile if you peed a little" (iykyk)--By the TTC

"You run Disney better than Chapek"--on Main Street

And during my local marathon my SIL and I took a pic with a sign someone's boyfriend had made for her that said
"BadA$$ Women run marathons. There's no time limit on greatness." Pretty much summed up the day for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter