Marathon Weekend 2021

That would bore the crap out of me. Only think that would be worse is trying to do it on a treadmill.

We do have a real long trail where I live called Silver Comet which s 61 miles long (then connect to another trail to go even furthur). If I was going to do the virtual marathon it would be on there - out and back 13.1 miles.
yeah, you'd think it would bore me too, but 5 hours of back and forth in parking lot, on coldest day in Houston, at 4am, was easier because I was just running back and forth and could let my mind go blank. If I had to run a course or streets I would have to actually concentrate. hehe.... once people started coming in to work and parking is when it. got more complicated... and more stares.

Refunding the race as locals we are keeping PoP for now and booked a park pass for check in day... we will wait to see how our November “staycation” goes to see if we want to shell out $$ to be in the bubble for another long weekend sans race in January

SAFD Lots of catching up to do:

Pavilion in World Showcase: France. Chefs de France has become a pre race meal tradition for me and I love Impressions de France. Sitting down in air conditioning and the music.

If I worked at Disney: CM in Galaxy's Edge. I would have so much fun going full on Star Wars nerdery as you will see below.

Magical Moment: My moment is nowhere near as emotional or touching as the ones so many have shared here. But it still meant a lot to me.

So in July 2019 I had a particularly trying week at work. Things that should have taken 30 minutes to resolve instead took 5 days and pressure for completing important tasks was mounting. I made it through it, and at the end of the week I decided I needed a break. Without much time and not really thinking about what I was doing after waking up after about 2 hours of sleep, I decided to run away to Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland. I was no longer bound by needing a reservation to get in there. If I wasn't going to sleep in my bed, I may as well not sleep in my car as I made the long drive to Disneyland. Once in Galaxy's Edge, I came across Rey while she was out on patrol. I begin the ask her questions about what she had learned from the Jedi texts as seen in The Last Jedi. Next thing I know, the two of us are just talking about the Force sort of by ourselves as I walk with her while she patrols the Resistance base area of Galaxy's Edge. Part of me was wrapped up the pretending I'm actually in Star Wars at that moment. But somewhere the 7 year old in me that loved Return of the Jedi was screaming with excitement "you're actually talking about the Force with a Jedi who is treating you like you're a Jedi." While there were other park guests near by, they were basically ignoring us or not really sure what was going on. For just a couple of minutes, I really was in Star Wars.

I've already run one virtual full this year with another likely happening next month.

Someone talk me out of doing another virtual full.

In January.

In Iowa.

Just for another medal and t-shirt I definitely don't need.
Having the same argument with myself although I don't think weather will be an issue for me. I just don't want to train for a marathon.
DH has done the virtual races. He can't have incomplete sets tho, and since he was signed up for every race this year, he *has* to do them (according to the rules he's set in his own mind). He actually does run them though. I think he likes that it forces him to get out and run (he's always very busy), but it's obviously not at all the same as far as atmosphere, camaraderie, etc. And it's mega hot here during the day, so he has to run after sunset (and risks run ins with wildlife where we live).
I ran a virtual 10K and 5K back to back as part of a challenge over Labor Day weekend. I've been pretty good about running this summer, but I was amazed at how good it felt to get out and run with a purpose so to speak. That got me considering the Virtual Wine & Dine, but my favorite Disney villains are all in Star Wars. So yeah, I'm considering a few different options.
pfft...I'm in the Elite Corral (in my Virtual race)
My little sister and I were talking about this last night. With a virtual, we can wake up at a sane hour, roll out of bed, and start running.
My virtual race director just informed me I’ll have to start just in front of the balloon ladies:sad:
The good news is that virtual balloon ladies always stay behind you! But they still encourage you.
I was kind of underwhelmed with the medals. The Princess ones spoke more to me. But I guess that's ok since DH and I decided on a refund before the announcement. But honestly, if a medal spoke to me it could change my mind. I like Oswald and the medal better than the Dopey one to be honest.
The Disney animation nerd in me is really eyeing the Princess 10K and Half. It doesn't hurt that Beauty and the Beast and Tangled are my second and third favorite animated movies either.
can I do the virtual 1 mile? I want a chip and dale medal!!!
Me too. I figured out a solution though. My two nephews are going to run the kids races, but they get to share one medal so their crazy uncle finally gets his long hoped for chipmunks medal.
Whelp, 2021 Marathon weekend and Princess Weekend are virtual, c'mon Star Wars weekend! Let's go live!
Help us Star Wars Race Weekend, you're our only hope.
we will wait to see how our November “staycation” goes to see if we want to shell out $$ to be in the bubble for another long weekend sans race in January
I tried to staycation in early September. It didn't work. Now looking at real options in November/December.

DH and I pulled the plug on our (Non) Marathon Weekend trip after all.

We have a trip scheduled in November...which started as a May trip, then kicked to June, then July and then September.

Thinking we’ll go in March or April before our extended APs run out.

Current thinking:

- Request Oswald medal

(I’m underwhelmed by the full medal, but don’t want to pay that kind of $ for a 10K)

Current hang up: if virtual marathons count toward my total, the 2021 virtual WDW marathon would be my 10th marathon. Three years ago, I set a goal of running 10 marathons before I turn 40. Marathons 8 and 9 are/will be virtual, too.

Maybe I want to wait for my tenth to be a “real” race? Maybe these virtual “count” but are also placeholders for three actual races?

Current hang up: if virtual marathons count toward my total, the 2021 virtual WDW marathon would be my 10th marathon. Three years ago, I set a goal of running 10 marathons before I turn 40. Marathons 8 and 9 are/will be virtual, too.

Maybe I want to wait for my tenth to be a “real” race? Maybe these virtual “count” but are also placeholders for three actual races?

If it helps, groups such as Marathon Maniacs are not counting virtual marathons towards members numbers.

In a normal race year, yes I agree with you. I don't do many if any virtual races. Obviously virtual races are the only things we have right now for the most part. I am enjoying the challenges that places have come up with more so than a virtual race. I did a virtual run across the CA coast for example. It was cool to track my mileage every day and see where along the coast I was.

I 100% agree with you on the rest of what you said. The entire experience is what makes marathon weekend and why I have done it for the last 6 years.

I’ve certainty done more virtual races than usual this year, but even in a normal year some virtual races have their own purpose. I’ve done a virtual Pi Day 5K the last couple of years.

I’m also looking for a virtual Marathon for November. Even though the Philadelphia Marathon has been canceled I’m still planning to run 26.2 the day it would have been. So I might as well get myself a medal for that. I’m also thinking of signing up for my first ultra. A local ultra has gone virtual and is letting you have through the end of the year to run it. So as my “first” that seems like a good way to do it. Now as @lhermiston has said, I’m not sure if I would actually count it as my “officially” first though.

Last edited:

I never run more than 16 miles as a training run, so when I run a virtual marathon I’m running significantly further than I would normally. The compromise I’ve come up with is to count virtual marathons in my total numbers of marathons run, but I consider the times unofficial for PR purposes since they weren’t run on a certified course. That approach might be challenged a bit here shortly, as I’m on track to run the NYC Virtual significantly faster than my current PR. I’ll think more about how to handle it if it happens.

I never run more than 16 miles as a training run, so when I run a virtual marathon I’m running significantly further than I would normally. The compromise I’ve come up with is to count virtual marathons in my total numbers of marathons run, but I consider the times unofficial for PR purposes since they weren’t run on a certified course. That approach might be challenged a bit here shortly, as I’m on track to run the NYC Virtual significantly faster than my current PR. I’ll think more about how to handle it if it happens.

I definitely wouldn’t run 26.2 just for training. That adds some validity, IMO.

That would bore the crap out of me. Only think that would be worse is trying to do it on a treadmill.

We do have a real long trail where I live called Silver Comet which s 61 miles long (then connect to another trail to go even furthur). If I was going to do the virtual marathon it would be on there - out and back 13.1 miles.
Im up to i think 11 treadmill half marathons during lockdown.....

So two days later these are my thoughts.... I had already convinced myself this wasn't happened (or at least not all the races) but even with that I never wanted this to happen and it still hurt when it was made official. Sttill going to go to WDW and have fun and already working on adjusting my training to switch to some different goals then dopey for now. Whole thing still sucks but totally understand why they did it.

This is just a challening time for in-person races which let's be honest were never the most hygienic events to start with. Hopefully by Q2/Q3 things can get more back to normal. I'm focusing right now on Star Wars and then Peachtree Road Race and I think both have a good chance to run though there may still be some modifications.

I'll definitely be back in for 2022.

Isn’t today the registration? I assume the time is 10 eastern? I’m not even in a queue right now and I thought it opens in 10 min.

Isn’t today the registration? I assume the time is 10 eastern? I’m not even in a queue right now and I thought it opens in 10 min.
Yes, things are opening up, but it's pointing to 2020 registration. I had to scroll down to 2021 marathon.

The wheel just keeps spinning, just keeps spinning, just keeps spinning. What does it do? It spins, spins, spins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter