Major Hurricane Ian forecast to hit Florida next week, may be Florida's biggest in years, state of emergency declared by Florida Governor

I am sorry that you might miss your cruise. However, you could have purchased trip insurance for a cruise during the height of hurricane season. Disney can't take the hit for that. No other cruise line would, either.
I have the insurance through DCL, but as I've learned here, if my flight is cancelled and I didn't book it through Disney (which I didn't), then I'm out of luck, right? So even though I bought the insurance on my flight and can reschedule that, I'd have to buy a whole new cruise to use the credit for the flight. But please do go on being an apologist for crap policies.

I have the insurance through DCL, but as I've learned here, if my flight is cancelled and I didn't book it through Disney (which I didn't), then I'm out of luck, right? So even though I bought the insurance on my flight and can reschedule that, I'd have to buy a whole new cruise to use the credit for the flight. But please do go on being an apologist for crap policies.
You'll get at least 75% of your cruise fare back as a future cruise credit. If Disney's insurance denies your claim because a canceled flight isn't a covered reason, then you'll still qualify for that 75% credit.

You'll get at least 75% of your cruise fare back as a future cruise credit. If Disney's insurance denies your claim because a canceled flight isn't a covered reason, then you'll still qualify for that 75% credit.
Oh great, so I get to pay even more for the same cruise due to a weather event over which I have no control. Thanks for nothing. I'd rather have my money back and spend it somewhere else if that's the best Disney is willing to do. It's policies like this that are driving guests away.

Oh great, so I get to pay even more for the same cruise due to a weather event over which I have no control. Thanks for nothing. I'd rather have my money back and spend it somewhere else if that's the best Disney is willing to do. It's policies like this that are driving guests away.
What would happen if a major storm hit your area and all flights were cancelled, still Disney's fault that you didn't get a refund?

Doesn't that include submitting a claim through the DCL insurance -- and the insurance will deny it. Only then does DCL's "cancel for any reason" credit kick-in. But guests do need to take the step of having the insurance deny the coverage, unless DCL streamlined that process more recently.
Yes, you have to notify DCL before ship departure and then submit a claim through Aon Berkley in order to get your 75% credit. But you'd have to do that for any insurance policy. If the insurance claim you submit is denied (which it most likely would be under the specific circumstances laid out by PP), then at least you get to go on a different cruise down the line. When it comes to outside insurance companies on the other hand, if they deny your claim, you get nothing. Definitely pros and cons to both ways; it just depends on the individual circumstances/preferences/needs of the guest.

It's not really much different. In my case, the airports near home were closed. In this case, MCO is likely to close. If that happens, then Disney still probably won't care. They'll only care if Port Canaveral itself closes.
No it is very different. Disney isn't going to refund your money due to a weather problem at your house. If MCO closes than PC is most likely going to close. They are less than 60 miles from each other. No cruiseline is going to sail through a hurricane. It seems very likely that the cruise today may not return on time. If I was leaving today on the wish I would start thinking of a contingency plan. You should never sail during hurricane season without a plan A, B, and C.

No it is very different. Disney isn't going to refund your money due to a weather problem at your house. If MCO closes than PC is most likely going to close. They are less than 60 miles from each other. No cruiseline is going to sail through a hurricane. It seems very likely that the cruise today may not return on time. If I was leaving today on the wish I would start thinking of a contingency plan. You should never sail during hurricane season without a plan A, B, and C.
Very true-we were almost on today's sailing. We ended up sailing earlier in the month. But Port Canaveral, Port of Miami, both airports and cruise ports will be effected by this storm. Getting back to the northeast would have been difficult. A then the lingering track of the storm to make any kind of connection on the east coast with heavy rain etc. I don't want to think about it. We lucked out- the ocean was luck a swimming pool on our trip, Now this. Yikes! Safe travels and resolutions to all those caught up in this whether crusising or due to their residence. Be safe!

Disney doesn't have control over the weather either. Did you not think when you booked a cruise during hurricane season that this issue might come up? I've cruised during hurricane season many times and I would never book a cruise without enough cushion to leave early or arrive home late.

I've been stranded in Florida a couple of times due to weather issues in other parts of the country. These days there doesn't even have to be weather problems for mass cancellations to happen. Flying has been a mess lately.

When I bring up the actual terms for insurance (using MA as my state), I see that the following is covered for trip cancellation:

"Inclement Weather that causes complete cessation of services for at least 12 consecutive hours of the Common Carrier on which You or Your Traveling Companion are scheduled to travel;"

I guess I don't know if they mean that the airline has to completely shut down all flights worldwide or if they just mean flights to your destination. Insurance companies usually do whatever they can to get out of paying anything, but I guess it's worth a try.

When I bring up the actual terms for insurance (using MA as my state), I see that the following is covered for trip cancellation:

"Inclement Weather that causes complete cessation of services for at least 12 consecutive hours of the Common Carrier on which You or Your Traveling Companion are scheduled to travel;"

I guess I don't know if they mean that the airline has to completely shut down all flights worldwide or if they just mean flights to your destination. Insurance companies usually do whatever they can to get out of paying anything, but I guess it's worth a try.
Exactly, it would be worth a try. You have to start by submitting a claim to Aon anyway. Worst case scenario: the claim is denied and you get your 75% FCC.

I see that the following is covered for trip cancellation:
Is that the DCL-offered insurance? Unfortunately I think you'll find they tell you the insurance isn't in effect until you board the ship -- because the flights are not included in the coverage. So in that situation the "common carrier" is the cruiseline, not the airline. Good luck!

Is that the DCL-offered insurance? Unfortunately I think you'll find they tell you the insurance isn't in effect until you board the ship -- because the flights are not included in the coverage. So in that situation the "common carrier" is the cruiseline, not the airline. Good luck!
Yes, it is. It is a clause in the policy for certain states for policies purchased on or after May (17th I believe, would have to check the date) 2022. It does talk about covering delays of more than 6 hours en route to the trip as well. But yes, I agree, the claim still may ultimately be denied.

Last edited:
I read insurance contracts before I buy them. 🤷 It's a shame you didn't. Again, Disney looks out for . . . Disney.

Oh, and not an apologist. A realist.

Just rescheduled our Friday evening flight to Saturday morning.

Thankfully, not boarding the ship until Monday but didn't want to wait until the airline cancelled the flight and then be stuck with limited options.

All this insurance talk brings up another question. What does Disney do if you test positive for Covid days before boarding?

All this insurance talk brings up another question. What does Disney do if you test positive for Covid days before boarding?
What COVID-19-related health concerns qualify for a refund without Disney-imposed cancellation fees?
A:
Qualifying scenarios include Guests who in the previous 14 days:
  • Have symptoms of COVID-19
  • Have a temperature of 100.4°F or greater
  • Have had known exposure to a person with COVID-19 within the previous 14 days
  • Have tested positive for COVID-19

While they may work with an individual here or there depending on circumstances, I don't recall DCL being particularly lenient with cancellations due to prior hurricanes that did not have direct impact on the port or cruise timing. Which is most hurricanes. We won't know if this one will have such impact until maybe tomorrow or even Wednesday/Thursday. If the port is closed thus making the next cruise depart late (like next day late), then yes DCL allows changes/cancellations. But if the port is open and the cruise is expected to go out as scheduled, one needs to have travel insurance if desiring to cancel. And as gets reported here frequently, the DCL offered insurance does not cover flight-related issues unless the flights were purchased through DCL.
And your insurance has to allow for it. Case in point - we purchased Allianz Prime. In order for them to pay out, you have to allow the carrier 24 hours to get you to your destination. Well we thought we would be good to fly in Friday (leaving TX in the afternoon arriving in FL early evening). If those flights get delayed and then canceled because of winds or rain... Well we're sol because 24 hours... the cruise would be gone. I'm not blaming the insurance that's on us for not reading the fine print (and honestly we purchased it more for medical than for weather); the Premier one would have been a couple hundred dollars more, but DOES cover hurricane warnings. So now we outlayed nearly a grand more to change our flights and get hotel and food, and are flying in tomorrow for Saturday's cruise. But better than losing close to $6K if we didn't go and insurance didn't cover it.

And your insurance has to allow for it. Case in point - we purchased Allianz Prime. In order for them to pay out, you have to allow the carrier 24 hours to get you to your destination. Well we thought we would be good to fly in Friday (leaving TX in the afternoon arriving in FL early evening). If those flights get delayed and then canceled because of winds or rain... Well we're sol because 24 hours... the cruise would be gone. I'm not blaming the insurance that's on us for not reading the fine print (and honestly we purchased it more for medical than for weather); the Premier one would have been a couple hundred dollars more, but DOES cover hurricane warnings. So now we outlayed nearly a grand more to change our flights and get hotel and food, and are flying in tomorrow for Saturday's cruise. But better than losing close to $6K if we didn't go and insurance didn't cover it.
Look on the bright side you probably saved at least 1k booking a cruise in September vs any other time of the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter