• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Major Hurricane Ian forecast to hit Florida next week, may be Florida's biggest in years, state of emergency declared by Florida Governor

I think some of us may be in the cruise group on social media since some of these travel plans sound like our conversation there.

I am freaking out a bit. We fly out the evening of 9/29 for the 9/30 Wish cruise. I bought the DCL insurance but it won’t help if the cruise goes forward but we cannot get to the port. I don’t see what options we really have.

They keep changing the anticipated Hurricane arrival times between Tuesday and Thursday and I don’t want to pay double the airfare to move it a day or two earlier only to find the nee plans derailed if the storm arrives early. And if I do get there early but they cancel the cruise I will have pulled my kids out of school and put them in harms way in the path of the storm for nothing.

Driving is 16 hrs without breaks (and three kids need lots if breaks so it is really two days). I do not have enough vacation time to be out of work for four extra days (2 there 2 back). And driving on Thursday looks pretty sketchy—can’t be safe to be driving through the storm.

This trip was supposed to be a chance to reset and recover mental health after some work and physical health crises. Now it’s just adding to the stress. Will never travel in storm season again.

Honestly at this point I kind of just want DCL to cancel so I can reschedule it to later this year and cancel flights and hotel. Obviously would prefer if the storm just fizzled out or went out to sea but seems pretty clear that won’t happen.

😭

I think some of us may be in the cruise group on social media since some of these travel plans sound like our conversation there.

I am freaking out a bit. We fly out the evening of 9/29 for the 9/30 Wish cruise. I bought the DCL insurance but it won’t help if the cruise goes forward but we cannot get to the port. I don’t see what options we really have.

They keep changing the anticipated Hurricane arrival times between Tuesday and Thursday and I don’t want to pay double the airfare to move it a day or two earlier only to find the nee plans derailed if the storm arrives early. And if I do get there early but they cancel the cruise I will have pulled my kids out of school and put them in harms way in the path of the storm for nothing.

Driving is 16 hrs without breaks (and three kids need lots if breaks so it is really two days). I do not have enough vacation time to be out of work for four extra days (2 there 2 back). And driving on Thursday looks pretty sketchy—can’t be safe to be driving through the storm.

This trip was supposed to be a chance to reset and recover mental health after some work and physical health crises. Now it’s just adding to the stress. Will never travel in storm season again.

Honestly at this point I kind of just want DCL to cancel so I can reschedule it to later this year and cancel flights and hotel. Obviously would prefer if the storm just fizzled out or went out to sea but seems pretty clear that won’t happen.

😭
Hi, I am on that cruise. Your insurance should kick in if a "covered" event happens and you can not get to your destination. And hurricanes are typically covered. Read over your trip insurance and maybe even call them and ask. I know my Allianz trip insurance covers costs if I can not get to the cruise because of a hurricane. Hopefully things will have settled down by Thursday and you can get there.

Hi, I am on that cruise. Your insurance should kick in if a "covered" event happens and you can not get to your destination. And hurricanes are typically covered. Read over your trip insurance and maybe even call them and ask. I know my Allianz trip insurance covers costs if I can not get to the cruise because of a hurricane. Hopefully things will have settled down by Thursday and you can get there.
I did read the DCL policy and it only covers us for weather related delays once we board the cruise. If I had booked my airfare through DCL it would cover that, but as I booked southwest on my own it is not covered. Ugh.

I did read the DCL policy and it only covers us for weather related delays once we board the cruise. If I had booked my airfare through DCL it would cover that, but as I booked southwest on my own it is not covered. Ugh.
Check the credit card you used to book your flights....some credit cards have built in travel insurance. Maybe yours does.

MJ

Hopefully we can get on Monday because we don’t have a plan B landing close to the port tomorrow. The second we will already be there and maybe on with all you.

The insurance that Disney offers is garbage. It is extremely expensive and does not have good coverage at all. Next time, look into Allianz. They have good emergency medical and evac coverage, are reasonably priced, and kids are free on their parent's plan.

😭
We had to do a last minute drive from VA (~12 hours) to get on a cruise a bunch of years ago due to a cancelled flight. If I had to do it all over again, I would have done a one-way car rental to drive there and flown home. We didn't do it because I wanted to get on the road and it would have taken a couple extra hours to deal with the logistics of renting a car. Just something to think about if you end up driving... that drive home after the cruise was brutal.

We had to do a last minute drive from VA (~12 hours) to get on a cruise a bunch of years ago due to a cancelled flight. If I had to do it all over again, I would have done a one-way car rental to drive there and flown home. We didn't do it because I wanted to get on the road and it would have taken a couple extra hours to deal with the logistics of renting a car. Just something to think about if you end up driving... that drive home after the cruise was brutal.
It is nice to at least have the option to drive. I live a 24 hour drive away, and that is driving time. So for me, it is just better to fly in 2 days earlier since it will take that much time to drive there.

It is nice to at least have the option to drive. I live a 24 hour drive away, and that is driving time. So for me, it is just better to fly in 2 days earlier since it will take that much time to drive there.
We just drove 22 hours to get here. Had the time we did it over 3 days and now sit in a hotel close to the port . Can’t wait to get on the ship tomorrow. Still a little scared of the waves me may get this week.

Hopefully we can get on Monday because we don’t have a plan B landing close to the port tomorrow. The second we will already be there and maybe on with all you.
The hurricane is now where near Port Canaveral until at least Friday. You could possibly get a longer cruise.

Reactions: NAB
Aren't cruislines pretty flexible when it comes to hurricanes. They have to know all flights are going to be cancelled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter