Major Complaint!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also happy to see the troll/lurker thing explained. I asked about it once myself but still didn't really understand.

Maybe they aren't classified as a troll but I think it's kinda creepy that people get so invested in WDW and these boards that they even go back and research how long or how often others are on the boards. (Wouldn't someone who only hangs out on these boards and replies constantly all day every day be a little bit odd themselves? I'm just saying....)

I joined this site to gather information for our trip (I don't even know when I joined or how often I've posted, look it up, you silly ones). I check in periodically in preparation for our upcoming trip, which is only the 3rd in my entire life. Even though Disney is not one of the most important things in my life, I accept that it is to some others (my own brother and his family included). I try not to judge. But freaking out on someone because their opinion differs from your own is very sad and makes me wonder if some posters need to find some other interests.

I think that sociologists (sp? If I spelled it wrong does that make me a troll, or just stupid?) should study these boards. Lots to learn about human nature here.

I am also happy to see the troll/lurker thing explained. I asked about it once myself but still didn't really understand.

Maybe they aren't classified as a troll but I think it's kinda creepy that people get so invested in WDW and these boards that they even go back and research how long or how often others are on the boards. (Wouldn't someone who only hangs out on these boards and replies constantly all day every day be a little bit odd themselves? I'm just saying....)

I joined this site to gather information for our trip (I don't even know when I joined or how often I've posted, look it up, you silly ones). I check in periodically in preparation for our upcoming trip, which is only the 3rd in my entire life. Even though Disney is not one of the most important things in my life, I accept that it is to some others (my own brother and his family included). I try not to judge. But freaking out on someone because their opinion differs from your own is very sad and makes me wonder if some posters need to find some other interests.

I think that sociologists (sp? If I spelled it wrong does that make me a troll, or just stupid?) should study these boards. Lots to learn about human nature here.

:goodvibes

agree. I come one here to look things up, answer a few questions or give suggestions but never to be hateful, mean, or rude. Im defintiley glad that I am not labled either one of those terms.

Just wanted to say that, even as a longtime DIS member and self-professed DIS addict, I could not agree more. The bolded paragraph above made me laugh. ::yes::

FYI, since you joined this site to gather information yet are so quick to judge the motivations of others, anyone (including yourself) can see when you joined and how often you have posted simply by looking at the information under your Dis name on any post that you make. One doesn't have to be some kind of online stalker to know that information.

And further, disagreeing with someone's opinion does not constitute 'freaking out'. Voicing said disagreement also does not constitute 'freaking out'. It is called discussion. As in Discussion Boards. But I do agree that sociologist's would have a field day analyzing said discussion boards. Your spelling is fine. Poor spelling doesn't make you a troll (I thought you said that you had learned the definition of the word). It just makes you a person who doesn't know how to use spell-check.

Clearly this is directed at me. For the record, when OP started this thread, it was his 2nd post. I clicked his screen name and "find more posts" to see if his first post was made on the same day.I did this to see if he was a pot stirrer or not. He wasn't, and therefore I responded to his post with my opinion. I do not assume someone is a "troll" because of their low post count. I will use the features of this site to make my personal assessment. Calling me "creepy" was rude, but frankly, I would rather be "creepy" than instantly judgemental. :thumbsup2

ETA: the "instantly judgemental" comment was about ME, not the poster I quoted. :goodvibes

rock_doctor said:
A troll is somebody who comes on and posts a comment or question with the intention of starting a fight.

A lurker is somebody who has a membership (or not) and reads the posts but does not comment.

Using terms like "troll" or "lurker" is the same as name callng. It is disrespectful, and not allowed on these boards, if I understand the rules correctly. Some people ask questions that elitist Disney fans might find stupid. So that person is a troll, and just looking to start a fight? I've been on and off these boards for more than a decade. For the most part, I just read stuff here, because I find 90% of the content on these boards to be comedic. But call me a lurker, and I'll respond in a way that will most-certainly get me banned like thousands before me.

OK enough already. Maybe we can all play nice now. :) One of the things I love about these boards are the nice friendly helpful people. Can't we go back to that??

Such silliness. Lurker is not an offensive term by any stretch. It's a description of a fact. Someone who hangs around the boards, but doesn't really post. I don't believe there are any value judgments contained in that word unless it's being used the wrong way.

When I was there last year, One of the CM's was telling me in the lounge about the change in the TV channels, due to the demand of the guests that not enough variety was offered. It is always easier with more choices tyan you need because you always choose to turn it off.

So I agree, let them add more choices for us to enjoy or shut off the tv.

On the same vein, I was thinking the same thing. We've had some trips where the weather was pretty cruddy and sometimes it was nice to be able to hang out in the rooms but our tv options were pretty slim. I'm kinda liking that there will be more channels.

I miss old Stacy too! My son loves to leave the tv on the "Stacy show" as he calls it all the time when we're at the resort. We used to love when she would name the countries in Epcot and then say "yummy, yummy, yummy" or when she'd go through the donut in Rock N' Roller Coaster. They took all the fun parts of the show. Although we'll be there in 2 weeks and I'm sure I can look forward to 8 days of the Stacy show.

I miss those parts too! "Water park wedgies are free with admission!"

Now, Stacey is just doing the must do's. *SIGH*

Using terms like "troll" or "lurker" is the same as name callng. It is disrespectful, and not allowed on these boards, if I understand the rules correctly. Some people ask questions that elitist Disney fans might find stupid. So that person is a troll, and just looking to start a fight? I've been on and off these boards for more than a decade. For the most part, I just read stuff here, because I find 90% of the content on these boards to be comedic. But call me a lurker, and I'll respond in a way that will most-certainly get me banned like thousands before me.

Bull cookies. Calling someone (or yourself) a lurker is no more derogatory or disrespectful than calling someone a newbie. It is an accepted descriptive and impunes no one. Calling someone a troll OTOH can be risky, and is sometimes hard to prove, but is hardly libelous, and ordinarily shouldn't be taken personally. Sometimes trolls aren't trying to start a fight. Sometimes they just crave attention. Sometimes they want to spice up an otherwise boring day by posting a subject that will stir debate. Some trolls are actually hilarious and can make a visit to the Dis a lot of fun. So let those panties untwist, former lurker.

FYI, since you joined this site to gather information yet are so quick to judge the motivations of others, anyone (including yourself) can see when you joined and how often you have posted simply by looking at the information under your Dis name on any post that you make. One doesn't have to be some kind of online stalker to know that information.

And further, disagreeing with someone's opinion does not constitute 'freaking out'. Voicing said disagreement also does not constitute 'freaking out'. It is called discussion. As in Discussion Boards. But I do agree that sociologist's would have a field day analyzing said discussion boards. Your spelling is fine. Poor spelling doesn't make you a troll (I thought you said that you had learned the definition of the word). It just makes you a person who doesn't know how to use spell-check.

Thanks for explaining where I can find that posting info - never even noticed it before!
As for the meaning of troll - I had asked but never quite understood. It is certainly clear to me now. :hippie:
I shall stick to the threads about best resort room/bldg locations, good counter service options, and other less 'hot button' threads which is where I happily belong. Best wishes to all!
Thanks for the spell check tip, but I like to live on the edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter