Magic Mobile vs. Magic Band

Looking forward to using my Apple watch and phone on my trip in August. I considered getting a MB but I want to track my walking and I’m not wearing and MB and an Apple watch. The downside of the Apple watch is the battery life is crap but I’ve got a battery pack that’s basically the same size as my phone that I can get about 5 full iPhone charges out of so it should be fine. I’ll get a KTTW card as backup. Btw Disney is missing out on themed bands for the Apple watch!

we are here now and I want to try the watch. Ive been using the phone. Do you just open your wallet on the watch and use it like a magic band?

Yup! I don’t know if this is a default setting but double clicking the long button on the side of my watch brings up my cards in Wallet. I can then scroll down to the pass and use it at the tap stile.

You will also have to install it on the wallet, I followed instructions that popped up from Disney on Instagram I think, I can try to find the link!

They are no longer free with a stay. You would have to purchase them. I couldn't get the room to open with my watch, had to use the app "open my door" feature.
Ahhh.....so I can just use the App on my phone to open the door and also use it as my ticket to get into the park and ( when FP returns ) use it to get a FP?

Either way, that makes it easier for me.

Ahhh.....so I can just use the App on my phone to open the door and also use it as my ticket to get into the park and ( when FP returns ) use it to get a FP?

Either way, that makes it easier for me.

Not exactly.

The MDE app can open your room door.

But to use your phone or watch to enter the park and other functions a MagicBand can do, you have to activate the MagicMobile system in MDE, and add your ticket to your Apple Wallet. The MDE app itself won't work. So far the functionality is not available on Android devices, but is supposed to be coming soon.

Yup! I don’t know if this is a default setting but double clicking the long button on the side of my watch brings up my cards in Wallet. I can then scroll down to the pass and use it at the tap stile.

You will also have to install it on the wallet, I followed instructions that popped up from Disney on Instagram I think, I can try to find the link!
Thanks! It looks like long button works. I’ll try it this morning.

I'm a little confused now.

If they don't give you the complimentary Magic Bands ( which is something you have to now pay for if you want it ), what do they give you to access your room and the park itself?

Is everything going back to the old fashioned cards that has your name on it and you use that to access the park and your room?

Do you have the option to download the Magic Mobile app onto your IPhone or Apple Watch that you can then use to access the park and your room?

I can’t wait to use this. I look forward to not having my Disney “handcuff” on while in the parks. I don’t normally wear a watch or anything on my wrist so Magic Bands feel weird to me. The fact that I can just reach in my pocket and not have to turn my phone on and just hold it up to the sensor is a big plus.

I also totally understand why people love their magic bands. To each their own

Dan

I have an iPhone but don’t want to pull it out all the time. If it worked on my Fitbit versa I would use that but otherwise I guess it’s an old magic band because I am not buying a new one.

I'm a little confused now.

If they don't give you the complimentary Magic Bands ( which is something you have to now pay for if you want it ), what do they give you to access your room and the park itself?

Is everything going back to the old fashioned cards that has your name on it and you use that to access the park and your room?

Do you have the option to download the Magic Mobile app onto your IPhone or Apple Watch that you can then use to access the park and your room?

Yep, if you don't want to purchase a MagicBand, you can get a card at your resort that will work for all purposes.

You have been able to use the My Disney Experience app on your phone for a while now to be able to open your room door. The addition of MagicMobile on your phone or watch for park entry is new. But yes, that is what it is for.

So can 1 or 2 Magic Bands be used for everyone in the group? I see the benefit if it'll be picked up for memory maker ride photos, but don't want to splurge for 4.
If you are staying at a Disney resort and have the option to purchase MagicBands, the solid coloured ones are $5/each.

Tried to see if someone posted this, but once the pass is added to your watch, you don't have to have it open by clicking the side button to use it. The pass is always active. You can just hold your watch up to the scanner.

I'll still be having MBs with us for ride pictures though.

Tried to see if someone posted this, but once the pass is added to your watch, you don't have to have it open by clicking the side button to use it. The pass is always active. You can just hold your watch up to the scanner.

I'll still be having MBs with us for ride pictures though.
That's if Express Mode is enabled in the Watch app on your iPhone, under Wallet & Apple Pay, under the Disney MagicMobile pass. I think it's enabled by default, but some have reported not being able to use Express Mode and then discovering it wasn't enabled.

I really enjoyed having my park pass on my Apple watch (Express Mode turned on) - can't wait for more functions to be linked. I still had a magic band puck in a watch band holder so I could charge to the room and open the room door and I alternated between using the puck and watch for entry. Magic Mobile was actually a life saver the first day. Out of habit I tried using my magic band puck, but it had become deactivated (I accidentally grabbed an old one). Many thanks to the cast member who asked if I had my pass on my watch/phone and I avoided having to head to the guest relations line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter