Luck and Hard Work - March 2019 W.I.S.H. Goals

My goal for this month is to keep my weight steady where it is currently though I won't complain if I loose some as well. I am hoping to incorporate some walking in my house either around the house or using a video in front of my tv, along with playing on the wii, and hopefully even some swimming if weather and road conditions will permit me getting out. No way am I going out with the -40F wind chills around here today.

What is this Salt substitute you speak of? I love salt way too much.

I use this for general seasoning:
perfect-pinch-salt-free-original-all-purpose-seasoning.ashx

or this to replace salt in recipes:
51yEtJsjp-L._SX355_.jpg

fd66a941b164f4889f4e73c5f5f58b3a.jpg

quote-i-believe-in-hard-work-and-luck-and-that-the-first-often-leads-to-the-second-j-k-rowling-61-59-93.jpg

Happy Motivation Monday, Everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend and are ready to take on the week with health in mind.

So, what's motivating you this week?

Yesterday went well. I had to take DD to the doctor though. She has been complaining about her throat hurting and it getting worse. She asked to have the strep test. I knew it must have been bad. But good news no strep. When we got home I was going to just lay on the couch and do nothing. DH didn't give me that option. My only option was to get changed and go to the rec. I didn't fight. I knew this is what I should do. So instead of no workout, I got 45 minutes.

I am down .8 pounds from yesterday but I am sure I just gained it back. It is Fat Tuesday and Paczki are big in my area so I had one this morning. I will eat good the rest of the day. Tomorrow I will have like 0 calories since it is Ash Wednesday and the start of lent. I don't eat fish so I will be eating a salad tomorrow for lunch and dinner and then the same on Fridays.

The hard work angle is a good one to remember... you have to work at being healthy, it isn't going to magically happen without your participation.

I did get my 8000 steps in yesterday, but I calculated my steps for the 1st thru the 3rd and I'm 12,000 steps behind the average I want to maintain (evidently I barely moved Sunday), so I need to do more than 8000 for a while in order to catch up. I also got all my water in yesterday, so I'm on a roll. In the effort to stay grounded and focused I've been staying up on household chores, straightening and organizing as I move around the house, instead of turning a blind eye until things get piled up and out of control. Heck, I even made my bed this morning.

Friday is International Women's Day, so here's a little inspiration for today:

upload_2019-3-5_7-17-0.png

I put some things away yesterday and just seeing some of my warm weather clothes strengthened my resolve to maintain my weight over the winter. I hope to get out today for a walk (it’s 24 degrees but feels like 13!) the sun is shining and that always improves my mood. I have a turkey breast to roast for dinner and stocked up on green vegetables yesterday. Going to try a new brussels sprouts recipe-if we like it, I will share Friday.
Have a great day, everyone!

Hello, Dearies!

Sorry I'm late... I was in SUCH a rotten mood on Friday, I didn't want to kill the vibe as I sat around sulking. I had planned to go on a day-hike Friday, but I didn't get my paperwork in the mail until Saturday... so Friday I was sulky (even though the weather wasn't great, I just wanted to get going, ya know?) The logbook came in the mail Saturday afternoon, but I had plans for Sunday, so I finally got to go yesterday... Which (spoiler alert!) is my Woohoo for tomorrow!!!

So my goals for this month are more event-based than steps-per-day or weigh-ins...

1- Get my tush out on the trail. CHECK!!!
2- Do walks in Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee during spring break (about 2 weeks from now.)
3- Not die in the process

I'd also LIKE to lose 4 pounds again this month, and I'm going to work at that, but I won't be devastated if that doesn't happen, because I'm expecting to gain some muscle from the climbs and practice walks, and because I'll be at the higher end of my calories on walking days, etc etc... I'll have to do some searching for new recipes to make... but my "new recipe day" will have to be Thursday, since I make the others cook on the weekends. (TRYING to build life-skills, but it's hard to convince them to do anything "real cooking" wise... especially when H says "Putting a frozen lasagna in the oven *IS* a life skill... <sigh>)

Today my goal is to get up off the couch and get to the grocery store (we are out of EVERYTHING...) which means I have to do at least a LITTLE menu planning (and I don't wanna...) And today is Pancake Tuesday/Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras... whatever people call it. A friend invited us to a pancake dinner at her church, but I still need to get to the grocery and buy stuff, including breakfast food in case that doesn't pan out. But I'm so tired and achy from yesterday (in a good, I did something cool sort of way...)

But since my pictures I wanted to show you just won't upload right now, I guess I'm out of excuses... Have a good day everyone!!!

You all just reminded me it's Tuesday! (It was Monday in my head, because we had a snow day yesterday. :laughing: ) Here's a topic:

How much of our health is luck and how much is lifestyle?

We bought a treadmill! DH and DS have been discussing it and scouting prices, and a reasonable one went on sale last week, so we picked it up Sunday. - Now I have no excuse not to walk, even when the weather doesn't cooperate or nobody else wants to go.

I think it's a combination of both. I "choose" healthy things like salads frequently, but I'm lucky because I actually like them. - DH doesn't particularly, so the same choice is a sacrifice for him when it isn't for me.

(I also think it's easier to make healthy food choices when money isn't too limiting a factor, so I know I'm lucky there as well.)

But I also believe there are a lot of things almost everyone can do - like not taking up smoking, trying to stay active in whatever way you enjoy, etc.

The luck part is how much neglect my body seems to be able to take, due to the lifestyle choices I make. But with age, that luck margin has become more and more narrow.

The luck part is how much neglect my body seems to be able to take, due to the lifestyle choices I make. But with age, that luck margin has become more and more narrow.

Excellent point! I have way less leeway now than I used to as well.

Health is on my mind motivating me this week. I am focusing on MY need to still get my blood test numbers moving in the right direction. I feel like I had a little reminder from a Dr when there with DD this week ... She has been having auras off on and for a couple of years but they seem to be increasing in the last few months - so went to talk about her. He asked if there was any family history so I told him about the few I had had in the last 6 months and my particularly bad one - I asked why I had been referred to a neurologist and DD wasn't. He thoughtfully replied I was refereed to Neuro because there was a possibility my bad aura was in fact a Transient Ischemic Attach (read mini stroke). So I left there not panicked but feeling a little uneasy with a reminder I need to be doing all I can. I had convinced myself after that one back in November - that it really was just a migraine and not to worry. Then the day after the Drs with DD came the shocking news that Luke Perry had passed at only age 52 from a Stroke - RIP Luke. I watched 90210 back in the day and DD and I watch Riverdale together :sad1: It all really has me thinking and I am wondering if I am receiving whispers to remind me to do all I can do to stay on track with improving my health.

You all just reminded me it's Tuesday! (It was Monday in my head, because we had a snow day yesterday. :laughing: ) Here's a topic:

:rotfl2: Oh you poor thing - I thought I had mixed up the time difference between us!

Luck - I think could be attributed to genetics/family history - metabolism, body type etc. but I think we get to push that only so far. (which I have done).
Then I really do think it is all down to lifestyle - we know that lifestyle factors have the ability to turn on or off changes in genetics/cells/hormones etc. that can see chronic conditions develop. My lifestyle over the years really is the result of my current weight and health conditions - bad luck had nothing to do with it - it was ALL ME.

Here in my part of Ohio we just call it Fat Tuesday. Because by the end that is how you feel. The amount of doughnuts (paczki's) people eat around here is amazing.
I've learned so much about this day thanks to this thread. I've only heard it called Fat Tuesday or Fasnacht Day. Never heard it referred to as Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Tuesday. I love learning new things. So I also had to look up the difference between fasnachts and paczkis. Determined neither are on my diet...but I did have a little piece of a fasnacht for tradition ;)

Ok, now back to the topics.

My motivation is coming from getting compliments from other teachers at work..."Did you lose weight? What are you doing?" It's nice that people are noticing. So now I'm motivated to keep going.

I think some people can be genetically lucky in their build or metabolism. But for me, I know if I don't watch what I eat and stay active, I will gain and gain and gain. So for me to stay healthy, it's work. Sometimes it seems like hard work, other time it just seems like habit.

Well, I am definitely not one of those people that allow them to eat anything and not gain weight. Even in my twenties I had to be careful. You all are probably too young to remember it, but the Scarsdale Diet was a yearly thing for me every spring to get ready for bathing suits! And my parents weren’t overweight so I can’t blame genetics.
The luck part, as PollyannaMom points out, is being fortunate to afford nutritious food, liking to cook and a husband that will cheerfully eat anything. But if I’m going to maintain a healthy weight it’s because I make the lifestyle choices that make it work.
Great question!

I've learned so much about this day thanks to this thread. I've only heard it called Fat Tuesday or Fasnacht Day. Never heard it referred to as Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Tuesday. I love learning new things. So I also had to look up the difference between fasnachts and paczkis. Determined neither are on my diet...but I did have a little piece of a fasnacht for tradition ;)
Yes, the Fassnacht displays are up everywhere here in PA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter