Luck and Hard Work - March 2019 W.I.S.H. Goals

I really like water aerobics, always have. When I was 22, I was working down in Texas, and a bunch of us girls from the office would take long lunches a couple of times a week, go across the street to the outdoor pool, and do lunchtime aerobics... exercise, fun with friends, AND vitamin D!!! There was this older guy, Vic, who would show up in his speedo and gold chains and try to flirt with us, it was hilarious!!! Alas, it's hard to find classes around here that have workable times. There is an indoor pool in town that runs sessions, but it's hard to pin down what times on what day... not to mention I feel self-conscious surrounded by all the senior citizens... but I always liked water aerobics because you don't overheat and you don't feel how hard you're working until you get out of the pool and realize you're exhausted... but I've never noticed any real day-after-soreness, either...

sjrec, the pictures are so pretty!!! Which bay?

I really like water aerobics, always have. When I was 22, I was working down in Texas, and a bunch of us girls from the office would take long lunches a couple of times a week, go across the street to the outdoor pool, and do lunchtime aerobics... exercise, fun with friends, AND vitamin D!!! There was this older guy, Vic, who would show up in his speedo and gold chains and try to flirt with us, it was hilarious!!! Alas, it's hard to find classes around here that have workable times. There is an indoor pool in town that runs sessions, but it's hard to pin down what times on what day... not to mention I feel self-conscious surrounded by all the senior citizens... but I always liked water aerobics because you don't overheat and you don't feel how hard you're working until you get out of the pool and realize you're exhausted... but I've never noticed any real day-after-soreness, either...

sjrec, the pictures are so pretty!!! Which bay?

That’s the Assawoman Bay (awful name!).

We've made it to our first "Foodie Friday" - if you've had success with a new healthy recipe this week, please share!

No recipe to share, just some visual proof that I did actually cook myself something to eat this week - a couple hamburger sliders on King Hawaiian buns:

upload_2019-3-8_7-10-2.png

Goal wise I've done well with drinking my water: after my day with 12,000 steps I've had two days that were under so I've lost some ground getting to my average goal. I should be back up there with steps today though, as I have my hair color appointment this morning and the salon is 7 blocks away... yes, I'm leaving work to go get my hair done! I haven't lost any weight this week, towards my -4 pound goal.

I made an appointment for a 90 minute massage tomorrow morning... I'm tired of feeling tired and crappy, so getting brows touched up, hair colored and a massage are the self-care starting points for getting back on track. Other than that, this weekend if it isn't raining I'll do some clean up outside in the garden and if it is raining I might go see a movie. All in all a nice relaxing weekend.

Hope y'all have a happy and healthful weekend as well!

Last edited:

Oneanne, your burgers looked delicious!

I have one to share that was a success at my house this week-

Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Potatoes

4 russet baking potatoes
2oz light cream cheese
2 T Mayo (I use the Mayo with olive oil)
2 T non fat plain Greek yogurt
1T grated Parmesan
1 garlic clove, diced
1 6oz jar artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1cup fresh spinach, chopped
1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese
Dash salt and pepper

Bake russet potatoes at 400 degrees for one hour or until soft.
Let cool 15-20 minutes, slice longways and scoop insides into a bowl.
Mix with Parmesan, cream cheese, Mayo, yogurt, garlic and salt and pepper. Mix in artichokes and spinach. Divide among potato shells and sprinkle with Asiago. Bake additional 20 minutes.
132 calories, Sat Fat 1.5g, carbs 22g, sugar 1.9g, protein 5.7g
If you’re doing WW it is 4pts

We loved these-and I halved the recipe (but used the full 1 cup spinach) since it’s just my husband and I. We had one with our dinner and the next day one with tomato soup.

Happy Friday, everyone! Hopefully we’re all getting better weather and spring is coming!

This weekend will be a semi fun weekend with lots of movement. We are finally painting and fixing things int eh house. DH with be fixing cracks and i will be painting the trim for now. Once the patching and fixing is done DH will paint the ceiling in the Kitchen and Living Room and then we will paint the walls in both. Once these are done we will do the same in the hall way and laundry room. Then it will be on to the rooms. Little things we can do now until we save enough to do the big things we want to do. This summer our big project will be taking a bunch of trees down. Next summer will be fixing the sun porch. The painting won't be done this weekend but we will be working on it for the next few weekends.

I really like water aerobics,

I did this 2 summers ago - and loved it - although the timings they are scheduled for here also tend to be senior friendly and harder to get to when I am working o_O

I made an appointment for a 90 minute massage tomorrow morning... I'm tired of feeling tired and crappy, so getting brows touched up, hair colored and a massage are the self-care starting points for getting back on track. Other than that, this weekend if it isn't raining I'll do some clean up outside in the garden and if it is raining I might go see a movie. All in all a nice relaxing weekend.

Hope you well feel like a new woman after all that pampering and ready to go after your goals for the month :-)

Happy International Women's Day

@sjrec love the pictures of your walking places - both look gorgeous and peaceful places to walk in
Yes, I’m so lucky to have the trail behind my house and the bayside park is just heaven. There’s even a small outdoor covered pavilion with some equipment to use-an elliptical, something you pull together and some other things. In the summer they set off fireworks from the pier every Sunday and we watch them from our driveway.

For Foodie Friday ...

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/stuffed-chicken-breast-zoodles-tomato-sauce

This was my favourite of the meals this week - kids liked it too - I used the goats cheese with mine. Also, I couldn't be bothered to make the zoodles so I just had steamed zucchini slices.
This looks really good. My grocery store has zoodles in the produce department ready to use-I’m with you-I’m not buying another piece of equipment to spiral vegetables, but I will buy them for this recipe.

Oooh, this is my favorite of the quotes!!

I made a baked cod fish today that I think came out well - I spread a little light mayo on top, then sprinkled it with Old Bay seasoning, salt-free Favor Mate, and panko breadcrumbs. We had rice and the tri-color carrots that @piglet1979 shared to go with it. :)

The stuffed potatoes sound wonderful, so I might try those next week!

Long week with some good things and some frustrating things. Good I have lost another 2.2 pounds in the past 16 days. Most families turned in their fruit orders on time and most of them that I had to send a reminder the next morning responded immediately. My nails turned out fab when I did them this morning. I found out that there is a possibility that our insurance will cover 11 year old's genetic testing and that the state program financial assistance would cover 60% of what insurance does not cover. We had nice weather today actually above freezing both for both actual and wind chill. Club fruit sale order turned into the extension office. Found out in future years that I can just put down families that do not turn orders in or who do not pay the buy out option amount down as their kids not participating. This has consequences of you do not get to participate in events paid for by the county. DH and I were able to have an impromptu date. Went to the feed store to get kitty litter and a scratching board for the kitties because they are loved (ok they have worn their old post one out and the 2nd one is about gone so my furniture is looking really interesting to them) DH says it is because they are spoiled. UMM if they were spoiled they would have gotten toys as well. Also went to the grocery store and then went and had cake and Huckleberry Ice Cream in the break room at DH's work for international woman's day. I had a really small piece of cake and a bowl of that ice cream. Frustrating was dealing with a few families who I was still tracking down orders at the last minute one which I finally got a parent's number after both me and my assistant leaving several text and voice messages on the kids phone as well as email reminder's to the parents email dealing included getting an email lecture about calling late (Excuse me if you had turned things in when you were supposed to I would not have had to) and that another person was called. Also frustrating was another family that the kid who is in the last year you can be in was supposed to get me things and never did. Hopefully in a couple of weeks when everyone needs to go pick up their orders Everyone shows up on time.

Welcome to "Whatever Weekend"!

Talk about anything on your mind - questions, struggles, discoveries you've made this week…

I'm personally excited about Daylight Savings Time starting tonight! I hate changing back and forth, but I do prefer DST to EST, as my natural early bird rhythms match up better to the clock times (I'll be waking up at 5:30am instead of 4:430am.)

I feel a little guilty about being excited, though, as my poor DS is the opposite right now - just by virtue of being a teenager, he feels better when he can stay up late and sleep in. I really wish high school stated later!

Welcome to "Whatever Weekend"!

Talk about anything on your mind - questions, struggles, discoveries you've made this week…

I'm personally excited about Daylight Savings Time starting tonight! I hate changing back and forth, but I do prefer DST to EST, as my natural early bird rhythms match up better to the clock times (I'll be waking up at 5:30am instead of 4:430am.)

I feel a little guilty about being excited, though, as my poor DS is the opposite right now - just by virtue of being a teenager, he feels better when he can stay up late and sleep in. I really wish high school stated later!

I’m also looking forward to the time change-sunset after 7:00 tomorrow!
PollyannaMom, my friends and I (retired HS teachers and librarians) have had many discussions about school starting later for HS and earlier for elementary. Numerous studies have shown this is a better fit for both age groups. Why hasn’t there been a change? What we are told is it would affect sports-if all districts aren’t on the same schedule games won’t coordinate. And students would be getting home from practices even later than they do already. Also, the little ones would be walking to school or waiting for a bus in the dark for a good part of the winter and parents would object. But starting later from my own observation would be a much better fit for most HS kids.

I am still struggling with getting enough exercise. And I still haven’t gone to the fitness center. I have my eating under control, but I know I am not active enough-I really hope better weather gets me back into my routine. It’s awful, but I hate going out in the cold and can make plenty of excuses to stay home.

I’m also looking forward to the time change-sunset after 7:00 tomorrow!
PollyannaMom, my friends and I (retired HS teachers and librarians) have had many discussions about school starting later for HS and earlier for elementary. Numerous studies have shown this is a better fit for both age groups. Why hasn’t there been a change? What we are told is it would affect sports-if all districts aren’t on the same schedule games won’t coordinate. And students would be getting home from practices even later than they do already. Also, the little ones would be walking to school or waiting for a bus in the dark for a good part of the winter and parents would object. But starting later from my own observation would be a much better fit for most HS kids.

I think what you said about sports is a big reason here - no school wants to be the "odd one out" and do it first (but if all the schools in a particular conference would agree to do it together, that problem would go away!)

The other reasons given around here are after-school jobs and childcare. - Families complain that they need the high-schoolers to get out earlier to be home for the little ones in the afternoons.

I don't want kids walking in the dark, either, but I'd say the solution is not to start any grade quite that early.

I am still struggling with getting enough exercise. And I still haven’t gone to the fitness center. I have my eating under control, but I know I am not active enough-I really hope better weather gets me back into my routine. It’s awful, but I hate going out in the cold and can make plenty of excuses to stay home.

Hang in there and keep plugging away. - The better weather really is coming!

We've made it to our first "Foodie Friday"

I made "Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Chili"

Taco Seasoning Ingredients:
1 1/2 TBS ground cumin
1 1/2 TBS chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Mix seasoning in small bowl.

In the crockpot, combine 8oz tomato sauce, 15 oz can black beans, 15 oz can kidney beans, 10oz frozen corn, 20 oz (2 10 oz cans) diced tomatoes w/chilies, 1 small onion (chopped), 4 oz chopped green chilies, and taco seasoning. Stir well. Nestle 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 8 oz each) on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 6 hours. About 30 minutes before it's done, remove the chicken and shred. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir well.

Serving size: 1 cup
Calories: 221
Fat: 3 g
Saturated fat: 0.5 g
Cholesterol: 44 mg
Carbohydrate: 28 g
Fiber: 8.5 g
Protein: 21 g
Sugars: 6 g
Sodium: 729 mg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!