Loving the Journey - Feb 2020 W.I.S.H. Challenge

Happy Topic Tuesday, Everyone!

Today's thought - I believe it's important to look at healthy habits not as depriving ourselves of what we want, but as giving ourselves what we need to feel good.

Does this work for you, and how do you accomplish it?

That's big question

It's not working currently that's why I feel so unhealthy. I am going to try to create happy and healthy lifestyle

I am going to have sensible calorie goal 1600 to 1900 calories daily
I am going to cook and eat things I enjoy
I am going to eat every 3 to 4 hours
I am not going to eat after 7
I am going to remind myself how uncomfortable I feel when I have too big meal
I am going to plan ahead, cook and track my food
I am going to weight myself every morning
I am going to remember that it doesn't have to be perfect, it has to be consistent
I am going to find exercise I enjoy - I miss having my fancy gym and while it is expensive, I don't drink I don't smoke I work hard - maybe its worth the cost

I am so unhappy and unhealthy after last year. It really all started after I got robbed year and half ago. I didn't think the incident impacted me as much but I never really managed to feel myself after as I never felt safe on my way to my happy place - the sea side and the yoga classes. I need to keep my focus on the fact that after the initial effort, living in way that fuels the body and moving and feeling good are all much happier than the lifestyle I had last year.

I need to remind myself how much more energy and confidence I had before I went down the slippery slope.

Today's thought - I believe it's important to look at healthy habits not as depriving ourselves of what we want, but as giving ourselves what we need to feel good.

It is really important and powerful to flip things around this way. I also need to start looking past the immediate feel good choice (sugar) and look at the long term feel good choice of being healthier and being able to do/enjoy more things.

I didn't get my salad dressing made last night. It was late by the time we got back from Mike's vet appointment, and I didn't feel like doing much of anything. He was acting like he didn't feel good over the weekend, like maybe he'd scratched another wound in to his lip, but she couldn't find anything. She gave me the OK to start giving him Benadril to try and get relief from whatever is making him itchy, so I'm going to get some tonight. Fingers crossed it will help, I just want the old guy to be comfortable.

On a lighter note, I bought the first of my vacation clothes yesterday, three new tops... 49 days!

That's big question

It's not working currently that's why I feel so unhealthy. I am going to try to create happy and healthy lifestyle

I am going to remember that it doesn't have to be perfect, it has to be consistent
I am going to find exercise I enjoy - I miss having my fancy gym and while it is expensive, I don't drink I don't smoke I work hard - maybe its worth the cost

I am so unhappy and unhealthy after last year. It really all started after I got robbed year and half ago. I didn't think the incident impacted me as much but I never really managed to feel myself after as I never felt safe on my way to my happy place - the sea side and the yoga classes. I need to keep my focus on the fact that after the initial effort, living in way that fuels the body and moving and feeling good are all much happier than the lifestyle I had last year.

I need to remind myself how much more energy and confidence I had before I went down the slippery slope.
A traumatic event like that must affect you for a very long time-I can’t imagine what it must have been like. :hug:

I think any healthy lifestyle allows the occasional indulgence. It’s all about balance. I can have pizza, just not every day or even every week. I know I have said this before, but I don’t feel guilty buying beef tenderloin or other more expensive cuts of meat or seafood because I can make dinner (with leftovers) cheaper than a meal out at a chain restaurant. We would be happy for a friend that joined a gym or took a class that improved their health-we need to be as kind to ourselves.

I am going to try to create happy and healthy lifestyle

:love: I wanted to "like" this part of your post, but then I read the other part, so I had to split it up.

These are great goals (as long as you're not overwhelmed by working on all of them at once) and I do think it's worth the cost of fancier gym if you feel safe going there.

I am so unhappy and unhealthy after last year. It really all started after I got robbed year and half ago. I didn't think the incident impacted me as much but I never really managed to feel myself after as I never felt safe on my way to my happy place - the sea side and the yoga classes. I need to keep my focus on the fact that after the initial effort, living in way that fuels the body and moving and feeling good are all much happier than the lifestyle I had last year...

😲 Yikes! I didn't know that had happened to you. :hug:

I can imagine it's a long process to feel confident again. I hope you're getting there!!

That's big question

What happened to you is so traumatic. I'm really sorry that you were violated like that. You need to be gentle with yourself.

"It is really important and powerful to flip things around this way. I also need to start looking past the immediate feel good choice (sugar) and look at the long term feel good choice of being healthier and being able to do/enjoy more things."

I easily get caught in an unhealthy cycle of wanting to have something that I shouldn't: a birthday cupcake in my classroom; a second helping of something delicious; fried or processed foods; etc... I get into a head space of feeling angry at the skinny teacher across the hall from me who brings a giant vat of macaroni and cheese for lunch and eats the whole thing. I get frustrated that my husband eats two or three times as much as me and is relatively thin. I'm upset that my metabolism is much lower now that I'm in menopause. I am mad that I can't just eat whatever I want without having to pay the consequences. When this happens, I feel deprived. Sometimes I give in and eat junk then feel awful both physically and mentally afterward. Sometimes I don't give in, but it is really hard not to give in to my impulses. I know I have to get past the whole, "It isn't fair" attitude. The circumstances are what they are, and if I want to be healthy, I have to work at it.

So, I guess it is time to put on my "big girl pants" and be an adult about this. I know exactly what I need to do. I'm kind of afraid that it won't work, but I do know that I cannot continue like this.

Happy Topic Tuesday, Everyone!

Does this work for you, and how do you accomplish it?

I think of a poem at the front of my health 101 text book back in the early 90s when I first was starting my degree and a general health class was part of the genereal education requirements for all students. By the time I graduated it was no longer and since I ended up on the 10 plus year plan due to finances I actually graduated under one where it wasn't required oh well I had one of the best teachers and actually went onto take several other courses from the same instructor including first aid, advanced first aid, outdoor education, drug and alchol education (one of those lovely requirements for all education majors and those of us who were liberal studies with an emphsis on an educational area and since I had a dual emphasis with one of them being early childhood education and development it was a required course for me though really how often does anyone see 2-6 year olds with a drug or alchol problem parents maybe kids not so much) and techniques in health enhancement 3 where we did ropes courses, designed fitness programs both personal and for different populations that had challenges to physical fitness and generally had a blast. Anyways the poem had lines like this
She bikes for her nerves he runs for his heart and it talks about all the things this couple does to be healthy and at the end the poem goes you were self righteous and boring as H e ll

When I think of that poem it reminds me to keep things in balance yes it is good to exercise but not the point that even if I didn't have the health issues that I have where my body says heck no sweetheart we are not doing that if I am spending so much time working out and neglecting taking time to go out and socialize with others like going to my mother in laws birthday party coming up this weekend or meeting a friend for coffee or just being there for a friend when he or she is having a hard time and just needs someone to talk with for a while I am tipping the balance too far in one direction.

The same applies for food I could say I need to loose over 100 pounds and then some but lets call it at 100 for now and therefore I can't have a cupcake or even half a cupcake or a small slice of cake at a birthday or I have to keep my calories under my current weight's resting metablsm formula t amount for activity level minus the same calculation for my goal weight of a healthy weight loss of `-2 pounds a week so that I loose the weight. Yes I can set a caloric intake goal but in the interest of balance it is better to have it be a range so that occasionally I can have that slice of pie, or those cookies and not beat myself up for it because for that day maybe I went towards the upper end of my range but the rest of the week I was toward the lower end and that is ok because I had some balance now if I were to go towards or even slighlty over that high end goal everyday or every week because maybe I suspend it all together on my Disney Trip that is not good either the key is balance.

I am willing to share the formula I was taught for figuring the basal metabolic rate (how many calories your body needs to just keep you alive if you were laying in bed asleep alll day) and the aproximate percentage of that to add to that number based on your physical activity level if anyone is interested but I will also say that like a lot of things that health science and other experts say when it comes to issues of what we should be eating and how much each person is an individual and while in general it may work in theory your milage may vary. I will also say that taking a look at these numbers and trying both a reduce that number by 10, 15, and even 25 percent as well as the keep my calories to a low amount which varies between 12-1800 calories a day for a woman depending on the individual study and not loosing weight on any of them got me to look at symptoms of low thyroid even though my labs were in the "normal" range

"It is really important and powerful to flip things around this way. I also need to start looking past the immediate feel good choice (sugar) and look at the long term feel good choice of being healthier and being able to do/enjoy more things."

I easily get caught in an unhealthy cycle of wanting to have something that I shouldn't: a birthday cupcake in my classroom; a second helping of something delicious; fried or processed foods; etc... I get into a head space of feeling angry at the skinny teacher across the hall from me who brings a giant vat of macaroni and cheese for lunch and eats the whole thing. I get frustrated that my husband eats two or three times as much as me and is relatively thin. I'm upset that my metabolism is much lower now that I'm in menopause. I am mad that I can't just eat whatever I want without having to pay the consequences. When this happens, I feel deprived. Sometimes I give in and eat junk then feel awful both physically and mentally afterward. Sometimes I don't give in, but it is really hard not to give in to my impulses. I know I have to get past the whole, "It isn't fair" attitude. The circumstances are what they are, and if I want to be healthy, I have to work at it.

So, I guess it is time to put on my "big girl pants" and be an adult about this. I know exactly what I need to do. I'm kind of afraid that it won't work, but I do know that I cannot continue like this.

It reminds me of quote form the art of weight maintenance and I can relate to every word you said.

"Logically, I understood that I needed to continue the behaviors that got the weight off, but I was angry about it. I didn’t want to. I wanted to be able to eat what I wanted, when I wanted, and to have my weight stay at goal. I didn’t actually throw toys or scream, but inside, that’s what I felt like. I understood this would be my new life — eating healthy, exercising and tracking — but deep down, all of us want to feel there’s a break in sight. We’ve been so good for so long, we feel entitled to a break from the mundane weight loss steps we’ve taken for what seems like forever. I believe many of us are so goal oriented that when that goal is reached, we’re ready to switch gears. Like kids, we want to test our boundaries, to see what we can get away with and not get in trouble for. We want the treats, and when that shows on the scale, we get resentful. We want to be at our goal weight, but we don’t want the responsibility that goes into maintaining this new body.

I stayed in my toddler phase for a while. I was angry that I had to do the tracking and exercise and be mindful of my eating. I get why kids struggle with adults telling them to wash their hands after they go potty, stop playing and pick up or get dressed. Yes, we have to do these things, but it’s not always what we want to do in the moment. Sometimes we just want to be left alone to do what tickles our fancy, without rules and regulations or consequences. Then the adult side of us eventually kicks in and we realize yes, we can do whatever we want to, but it comes with a price. We can resist the responsibility, but without that we have chaos, and systems break down. I had to accept that I would have to do the behaviors, and do them without resentment, if I was going to keep the weight off. Logically, I knew all this when I was losing the weight, and I even stated it out loud when I was talking with others. But there’s a difference between saying it before it happens and what you feel when"

Last edited:
Again this week I am not very woohoo. DD is going through a tough time. She told me on the way to her therapy appointment that all of her friends are not her friends anymore. I suspect this is the doing of one friend that I have not wanted DD to hang out with. I have been told by many including teachers that she is trouble. From what DD told me this person is telling everyone else to not be friends with her. Now I only know what DD is telling me so I am sure I don't have the full story. She was crying when we left her therapy appointment and looked like she was crying before I left this morning. I just want to make it all better for her but there is nothing I can do but be there for her. I am hoping this blows over soon.

On the plus side I worked out at lunch and walked the track at DS's basketball practice. I got over 15,000 steps. I did eat not so great yesterday though.

Woohoo...

Mike has perked up and his appetite has improved. I smashed some Claritin into his food (I had some and it is also OK to give to cats so I didn't have to go get Benadryl) and he ate most of the food so I know at least some of it got into his body, plus I got the ointment rubbed on to his chin without much fuss. He only had one itchy episode last night and none this morning, so I'm really happy with how it is going.

I'm also woohoo-y over the timing of choosing to do some counseling. I've just gotten a new manager at work, and it's going to be a rough go for a while... she doesn't have strong people/leadership skills, so it's a stretch for her. Without even just the one session under my belt I'd be pretty freaked out right now, but I'm able to disengage and look at the situation holistically and separate what is about her and what is about me.

And woohoo 48 days till vacation!

Oneanne, I love the phrase “I am able to separate what is about her and what is about me.” I am going to remember that one!

Woohooing that it’s February! I am ready for spring. I love walking in 60 degree weather.
I reserved the 2020 Unofficial Guide to WDW and it’s ready to pick up at my library-I know there’s so much info available online, but sometimes I just like paging through 700+ pages :)

Oneanne, I love the phrase “I am able to separate what is about her and what is about me.” I am going to remember that one!

Woohooing that it’s February! I am ready for spring. I love walking in 60 degree weather.
I reserved the 2020 Unofficial Guide to WDW and it’s ready to pick up at my library-I know there’s so much info available online, but sometimes I just like paging through 700+ pages :)
When I started going to WDW the guide books were the only way to get info. I used to buy one every year, whether I had a trip planned or not. Feeling old now....

Again this week I am not very woohoo. DD is going through a tough time. She told me on the way to her therapy appointment that all of her friends are not her friends anymore. I suspect this is the doing of one friend that I have not wanted DD to hang out with. I have been told by many including teachers that she is trouble. From what DD told me this person is telling everyone else to not be friends with her. Now I only know what DD is telling me so I am sure I don't have the full story. She was crying when we left her therapy appointment and looked like she was crying before I left this morning. I just want to make it all better for her but there is nothing I can do but be there for her. I am hoping this blows over soon.

On the plus side I worked out at lunch and walked the track at DS's basketball practice. I got over 15,000 steps. I did eat not so great yesterday though.
My DD had the same group of friends all through elementary and into middle school. All of the parents were friends too, and we socialized with and without the girls. We all volunteered at school together, did Brownies, summer programs, parties, Halloween, etc... A few of these mothers were my very close friends.

Then one day, one of the girls' (Erika) attitude began to change. She was acting jealous of the closeness between DD and her friend, Moira. Erin started excluding DD and another friend from normal group activities. DD was invited to someone's house when nobody was actually home. Erika & Moira's mothers started acting weird with me too. The night of the 8th grade dance, we were the last to arrive at Moira's house for photos. Everyone else had been invited one hour earlier. Erika and her mother had been there all day getting her makeup done. Moira's mother made a fuss over Erika lending her expensive jewelry. DD went from being Moira's bestie to being last to know about everything. One morning before school when all of the friends were in their circle talking, Erika pushed DD out of the circle onto the ground. In PE, she threw a baseball at DD hitting her in the arm. Her arm blew up, and I had to leave work to take her to the pediatrician. When the doctor heard the story, she documented it in case we needed it to pursue a bullying complaint. The school was not helpful. They basically said that we could file a complaint, but it would hurt DD in the long run, because these girls would probably go after her in subtle ways well into high school...better for DD to drop it and make new friends.

DD and the other girl being ostracized left the friendship group and each made new friends. They drifted apart as well. DD's best friend freshman year of high school helped her cope with the bullying. That child died at the end of freshman year. We were all devastated. DD went through an "Emo" faze and was very depressed. Thank God she was attending a half-day performing arts high school where she found wonderful friends who loved and accepted her. Now as a 22 year old adult, these are still her most cherished friends.

Kids can be so cruel, and it is excruciating watching your child be treated badly. It is a harsh lesson to learn that people can be so heartless. Remind your child of her worth and how much she means to you and how much she is loved. She will find her tribe one day. She will have friends that absolutely love her. In the meantime, protect her like the Mama Bear I am sure that you are.

My WooHoos this week are:

that I actually used my unexpected day off to catch up on housework and stuff,

and that I was able to find a (fairly) local bank that could do foreign currency exchange, so I could put some surprise money in the card I sent my niece. (She's abroad for school this semester.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter