Love spins....hate dips is MS for me?

kathyclownfish

Mouseketeer
Hi, I can spin all day....love the teacups and upside down smooth roller coasters. I can also do stuff like Star tours and Spiderman at USF. But, I definately can not do dips that give your stomach that airtime feeling.

Is mission space like a simulator type of ride....or a dip kind of a ride? Thanks for your replies!:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

I haven't experienced Mission Space, but I can bump this up for you to try and get some replies! :)

MS is definitely more like a simulator ride than a roller coaster...but within the simulator, there are some dips...does that make sense?
I love ALL kinds of rides, I can spin all day and I can ride a hundred roller coasters and never feel ill...but MS totally messed with my equilibrium!! I was not the same the rest of the day (actually, a group of 7 of us rode it and not one of us felt "right" afterwards and we're all die-hard thrill-ride fans)...I'll never ride it again.
BUT, there are people that LOVE this ride...I think it's really affecting people in different ways. It's probably difficult to say how it will make you feel without just trying it once and seeing if you like it :) The concept of the ride was cool...just not again for me, lol

I'm definately a spinner, not a dipper! And I though MS was great! I didn't experience any of the queasiness that others have talked about and look forward to going again. No equilibrium problems for me.

I just rode it last week for the first time. I am NOT a spinner ... I like rides but do have a tendency to get a sick feeling on simulators.

I took Dramamine at least one hour before the ride and then was careful to follow all the instructions about looking straight ahead (NOT to the side) and was able to have an uneventful ride. My family LOVED it and I was okay with it. I did not feel sick at all afterward and was glad to have been able to experience the new ride.

None of the others in the family had any problems either.

Originally posted by kathyclownfish
Hi, I can spin all day....love the teacups and upside down smooth roller coasters. I can also do stuff like Star tours and Spiderman at USF. But, I definately can not do dips that give your stomach that airtime feeling.

Is mission space like a simulator type of ride....or a dip kind of a ride? Thanks for your replies!:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

the ride is a massive centrifuge designed by NASA you do not see the spinning as you are in an enclosed capsule. It puts very strong G forces on you, enough to pull your face out of shape and cause real problems for anyone with high blood pressure or equilibrium problems. it does not dip, though the movie you are watching is somewhat like simulator going in canyons etc.

The weightless part reminded me of how it feels when you go over a hill on a roller coaster. My stomach was in my throat!!! It only last a few seconds though.

Taht being said, My meclizine (sp?) did not work and I was nauseous for awhile afterwards. The landing and the canyon stuff is what did it). I'm glad I rode it, but I doubt I will ever again - :dizzy: .

Since MS is essentially a centrifuge, there are no dips per se. However, after pulling some decent g's, when you return to 1g you feel pretty light, so that's the closest you'll get to the 'falling' feeling - but you're really at 1G.

The positive g's seemed pretty impressive to me - I've pulled 6g's in a plane and this seemed to me to be reasonably close (4 maybe - does anyone here know?). Interstingly I'm *not* a spinner (don't care for the teacups, especially when my wacko daughters drive), yet MS didn't mess me up. I was very careful to focus on the screen and *not* turn my head and I was fine.

Go for it!

-Pete

Now what is this about the blood pressure? I have been diagnosed recently with diabetes and high blood pressure, does this mean I can't ride MS? I'm so looking forward to it but not if its going to make me sick. Anyone else out there with DB and HBP have negative reactions?

Thanks everyone for your replies....but I think I'm even more confused now whether or not I should ride it. :(

But, I didn't do TOT my 1st year of Disney and regretted it. I did it the second visit and LOVED IT!! So, maybe I will go for it!

Thanks again!
Kathy

Can someone compare/contrast this to the ride Body Wars (I think that is what it is called). The ride where your going through the circular system.

Are there any similarities?

Thanks

Hey there, just wanted to put in my two cents. We just got back from our trip and I was worried about MS, I'm not fond of the spinning rides, dumbo just about does me in!...lol. But I can do roller coasters all day long, so I too didn't know how MS would fit in. I must say though that star tours in MGM made me more queezy than MS did, you really can't tell that you're spinning much at all, I did feel a little sick at the begining of the ride, but after that it was fine. If you do feel sick they provide sick bags in front of all the seats...lol! It was a great ride and a not to be missed! I even found 2 hidden mickey's on the ride! Have fun and good luck!

They are both simulators - they display visual information on the screen and then move the seat you are in to produce an equivalent effect on your body. But beyond that they are quite a bit different. Body Wars and Star Tours have a group sitting in a much larger capsule, and the motion is primarily tilting. In MS you are in a very small space, and the motion used is spinning with you facing the center. This results in a high g force - you will feel it pulling your face back and will feel 'heaviness' in your hands as you try to raise them. The 'weightless' effect is simply produced by slowing/stopping the spinning - when the g's are reduced you will feel much lighter (even though you are in fact only back to 1 g).

Both rides have their share of motion sickness stories.

-Pete

Pete,

That was great, just what I was looking for, thank you.

my son and I preview rode the MS before it officially opened. We were both speechless at the end. I have been fine on all Disney rollercoaster or motion rides...................we were totally sort of weightless feeling for quite a long time (queasy sort of) and the g forces are *substantial* for a long time for a ride. I have never been on a ride where I really was questioning my fortitude. This one made me wonder if I was going to wear my lunch...........it was at 4. With all that preparation said.................I love this experience and *must* go back to it again this week (see counter:tongue: ) It's not like *anything* else anywhere which is why it gets my "most incredible, best, scrumpdiliicious ride approval" for the very best that's out there) It was (duh) like my son and I had been to space and back.:crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter