Live Action Snow White - too far a departure from the original?

As with much of what Disney does these days - just plain sick.
I must be missing something. The only differences mentioned in this thread are that the "dwarves" are instead magical and Snow White is played by a Latina woman. Is there something else? I can see disagreeing with those creative decisions, but neither of those seem "sick" to me. :confused3

You think the prince is a stalker?? You agree with that?? I gotta rewatch this movie because I don't remember that at all
I think many who feel this way are referring more to the original stories than exactly what is depicted in the Disney movies. That said, an adult man kissing a 14 year old (dead) girl is a little weird regardless. But the originals take things a bit further. For example, Sleeping Beauty was not awakened by a kiss. During her "slumber" she was raped, gave birth to twins, and woke up when one of the babies sucked out the splinter.

Yeah, I mean, they don't flesh it out much, but he's hardly a "stalker" by any means. He MEETS her. Then later, he comes to pay respects to her at her memorail - a full year later. Now, why he kisses a corpse that's been dead for a year, well, that's maybe a different story. 🤣

To anyone that is worked up about the original story line, you are adding your own bias. Basic story goes like this:

1. Snow White and the Prince fall in love at their first meeting.
2. Out in the forest, running from the Evil Queen, she originally thinks the cabin is used by orphaned children so she cleans it up for them. She ends up staying with the Dwarves so they can protect her. They protect her, she keeps house for them.
3. The Evil Queen knows that a kiss from her true love could awaken her, but is betting on the fact that she will be burried alive and forgotten before that can happen.
4. Once she is cursed, the Dwarves can't bring themselves to bury her, so they put her in a glass coffin in the forest. The dwarves and the animals keep watch over it. It is an entire year before the Prince happens to find her. He sadly kisses her to say goodbye becuase he thinks she is dead.

No stalker, no creepiness, no big deal. You all need to watch it again before rambling off on all these tangents. Quit whining about how it is outdated etc.
The Disney version is the only one where the prince meets her before she is in the glass coffin (presumably because Disney also thought it would be creepy/stalkerish if they didn't meet while she was alive). So, in the original story there is no meeting or "falling in love". Instead, the prince sees a "dead" girl in a glass coffin, asks to BUY her, and then takes her home. Along the way, the coffin is dropped and the apple gets dislodged.

To be clear, I enjoy Snow White and watched it plenty of times with my own children when they were little. I can still acknowledge that there are some elements of fairy tales that are weird, inappropriate, or just plain wrong to our modern sensibilities.

I’ve been very disappointed in the actress’s comments that she has been making at news conferences lately. She seems very entitled. If she never liked the original movie, why did she take this role?
I’m tired of all the remakes… But the one that I wouldn’t mind them doing an update on is The Neverending Story. I think with today’s technology, some of the parts in that movie could be really awesome.

As someone who hates the live action remakes, I was never going to see it anyway, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

I have no issues with it straying from the source material. I'm sure the animated movie is very different than original written versions. What's weird is how much the cast seems to talk down about the original. I'm not sure if this is really their true feelings, or Disney PR is telling them to say that in order to seem like a progressive company. Either way, bad mouthing the movie which literally built your company seems like an odd choice.

As an outsider, it's all weird and forced. Stop comparing your new movie to the old, because based on recent evidence, the original animation will probably hold up as the better movie.

As someone who hates the live action remakes, I was never going to see it anyway, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

I have no issues with it straying from the source material. I'm sure the animated movie is very different than original written versions. What's weird is how much the cast seems to talk down about the original. I'm not sure if this is really their true feelings, or Disney PR is telling them to say that in order to seem like a progressive company. Either way, bad mouthing the movie which literally built your company seems like an odd choice.

As an outsider, it's all weird and forced. Stop comparing your new movie to the old, because based on recent evidence, the original animation will probably hold up as the better movie.

I agree. I doubt they're being told to say anything though, but honestly some people aren't going to connect with a 85 year old movie. She could pick her words better maybe, but whatever. Just because she doesn't like the movie, doesn't mean she's insulting everyone who does. People take that stuff too personally.

For those wondeing took the job, well, it's a job. Actors do what they do as work, not because they are in love with some specific thing. Even the creators aren't as precious about it all as the fans are.

I agree. I doubt they're being told to say anything though, but honestly some people aren't going to connect with a 85 year old movie. She could pick her words better maybe, but whatever. Just because she doesn't like the movie, doesn't mean she's insulting everyone who does. People take that stuff too personally.

For those wondeing took the job, well, it's a job. Actors do what they do as work, not because they are in love with some specific thing. Even the creators aren't as precious about it all as the fans are.
People are definitely polarizing the comments. I honestly don't care much about the original either, but the comments seem so forced and not authentic.

I think they have strayed too far with the new Snow White. The new "dwarves " are random and scary looking. Not my cup of tea. No interest in seeing it.

Most of those princes in the classic movies were kinda useless anyway. Charming couldn't recognize Cinderella in a line-up, so he needs everyone to try on a shoe
I read a really fun version of the story once where he was called "Prince Charming" because he was super-nice to everybody so that his Prosopagnosia (face blindness) won't cause an international incident if he's accidentally rude to one of the country's allies.

I tried to look through some posts. Did OP say exactly what the backlash is about? Is it similar to the backlash that was received due to casting of the lead in Little Mermaid? I am not a live action fan and prefer animated, but I did love the casting of LM. So what is the uproar about, exactly?

I tried to look through some posts. Did OP say exactly what the backlash is about? Is it similar to the backlash that was received due to casting of the lead in Little Mermaid? I am not a live action fan and prefer animated, but I did love the casting of LM. So what is the uproar about, exactly?

It does have to do with the actress cast as Snow White and some comments she has made, plus one leaked photo of the "Seven Dwarfs" which is being panned as just looking cheap and deliberately different. It's much ado about nothing in my opinion - the movie may very well be good or not good, but it won't be because of any of those reasons.

Most of the objections are about the changes to the story. Sure there are some people upset with the casting choices (I'm kinda freaked out about the Seven) but most of that is hyperbole. Taking a beloved and ancient story and changing it to meet current social views can be a problem. It might be great. But expressing concern or disappointment or even anger is normal.

And it doesn't help at all the the young woman playing Snow White has been doing some very entitled, rather preachy interviews...

I am curious what will happen with Rachel Zegler with The Hunger Games promotions. For a reporter getting more juice out of Rachel about Snow White is probably selling more newspapers than whatever she has to say about The Hunger Games.

And I wonder if the producers of The Hunger Games have spoken to her "We pay you to promote the movie. Not your views". Something like that.

I am curious what will happen with Rachel Zegler with The Hunger Games promotions. For a reporter getting more juice out of Rachel about Snow White is probably selling more newspapers than whatever she has to say about The Hunger Games.

And I wonder if the producers of The Hunger Games have spoken to her "We pay you to promote the movie. Not your views". Something like that.
As it stands, there will be no promos for Hunger Games. At least not until Sag Aftra and AMPTP come to a contract agreement.

My 20 year old son pointed out the fact that Snow White got her name from the fact that her skin was so fair.
The story said her mother, the Queen said her baby had hair as black as ebony, lips like a red rose and skin as white as Snow. So she named her Snow White. Then Snow's mother died and the evil stepmother became Queen. My mother and our sitters used to read the story to me all the time when I was a child.

I loved the original, but I also loved the Kristen Stewart version (although the sequel was terrible).

I really disliked the way Zegler promoted the new version while bashing the original. Her people probably should have reeled her in a bit, and turned down the entitlement to zero.

I just don’t think it was wise to bash the classic animated version that was the dawn of Walt Disney Studios. Ziegler is not too bright if she thought all of her antics were going to help her career.

I mean, I know the actress comes off kind of bad, but if I boycotted every movie that had an actor or actress who said something crazy, I wouldn't see many movies at all. So she's a bit of a diva who is convinced of her own rightness - who isn't?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter