Last Chance for a Summer Vacation Experience- August 2016 Weight Loss and Lifestyle Change Challenge

I'm late to the party but I would love to join the challenge this month! My goal is going to be to lose 4 lbs in August.

My name is Kirsten and I'm a 38 year old wife and mother of two. I love in Northern California and was a Disneyland AP until it just recently expired. This will be my second month on the challenge thread. Last month I reached my goal of losing 5lbs. If I lose 3 more I'll be back to where I was in April and then I can focus on fitness rather than weight loss goals. I love running, especially at Disneyland. I have a couple half marathons scheduled in the fall that I need to start training for as well.

I recently discovered LulaRoe and I am enjoying the Carly dress I bought this past weekend. I found it in a cassette tape print and am feeling fun and flirty today. :lovestruc

I have tried them. I got a dress and had to send it back. The dresses are not made for someone my size. I do like the leggings I got but they look like PJs to me so I only wear them at home. They are so comfortable though.

Hi Zim! Welcome back!! Of course it is not too late!

I have a thyroid issue as well and have the same 30 minute delay. My solution for it is to have my pills and a glass of water at my beside table and as soon as the alarm rings, the first thing I do is to take that pill. Then it is off for a shower and getting dressed and by the time I have prepared my breakfast and cooked my tea, those 30 minutes are over. It works well - except for the days when I am so slow to get started that I delay the pill taking...

Thanks, I know it's been a while, fell off the wagon something fierce! XD Yes, the first thing I do in the morning is roll out of bed and pop that pill and hit the shower. But my numbers were still not great... so I give myself a full hour. I also found out I was sabotaging myself with the other medicine my doctor told me to take: calcium chewables!! Apparently, they need to be taken a good four+ hours AFTER the hypothyroid medication. So now I take that and a biotin supplement (for my sad thin hair) after lunch!

As to a WOO HOO moment. Well, today is my Thursday and tomorrow is my Friday since I start a mini vakay this Friday through Monday! Just a little jaunt with my history loving boyfriend. Basically the REAL trip in October for Disney and HHN is for me and my daughter and his son - he's not a coaster rider and does a lot of kindle reading in the parks... so the summer trip is for his history stuff and I'm along for the ride (and company)!

And this need to drop the pounds is in direct correlation to the October trip as I'm worried the rides are going to be too snug, especially the Harry Potter rides. Not to mention most of my shorts don't fit right now.:sad:

I recently discovered LulaRoe and I am enjoying the Carly dress I bought this past weekend. I found it in a cassette tape print and am feeling fun and flirty today. :lovestruc

Someone added me to one of these LulaRoe groups on Facebook and I had not idea what it was til now. I'm going to have to check that out!

WOOHOO: I am woohoo-ing this was my first time trying the Tues night class at the yoga studio I go to and WHOA! This lady kicked my butt in the best way. I'm kinda glad Monday fell through so I could try out this class. I loved it! Secondary woohoos: I was able to have flat feet with downward dog this class (haven't had that in a WHILE!) and I am only moderately sore this morning meaning I am not as weak and pathetic as I was this time last month Haha! Yay for progress even if the scale refuses to show it right now!

Someone added me to one of these LulaRoe groups on Facebook and I had not idea what it was til now. I'm going to have to check that out!

Giiiiiiiirl, if you thought that Lilly Pulitzer was an addition, wait until you buy your first piece of LulaRoe! In short - it's one of those companies that sells directly through consultants, typically through parties or facebook groups. There's a few FB groups that do sales on Monday/Thursday and it's great because like 30 consultants list their stuff and you can mix and match!

Lularoe makes only a selected number of items in each specialty designed fabric - I think it's about 3000 pieces total and there's over 10,000 consultants. So it's possible you may never come across some pieces that are amazing. They sell dresses, leggings, shirts, etc. They're all in funky/fun fabrics and affordable. I think shirts are $35 and leggings are $25 and they're the most comfortable leggings you'll ever own.

My favorite is when they sell via box party - that's when consultants do a live stream on FB and they open a box and sell on a first-come "Sold!" basis. You basically are in competition with other people to get it, so imagine a real life ebay auction. They size from XXS to XXL - their sizing is generous. I'm an XXS-XS in most things, typically wearing a size 2/4 in pants. Leggings are one size (0-12) or 'tall/curvy' for plus sizing.

I'm using Lularoe to build out my work wardrobe over the next several months. Breathable and comfy :lovestruc

Giiiiiiiirl, if you thought that Lilly Pulitzer was an addition, wait until you buy your first piece of LulaRoe! In short - it's one of those companies that sells directly through consultants, typically through parties or facebook groups. There's a few FB groups that do sales on Monday/Thursday and it's great because like 30 consultants list their stuff and you can mix and match!

Lularoe makes only a selected number of items in each specialty designed fabric - I think it's about 3000 pieces total and there's over 10,000 consultants. So it's possible you may never come across some pieces that are amazing. They sell dresses, leggings, shirts, etc. They're all in funky/fun fabrics and affordable. I think shirts are $35 and leggings are $25 and they're the most comfortable leggings you'll ever own.

My favorite is when they sell via box party - that's when consultants do a live stream on FB and they open a box and sell on a first-come "Sold!" basis. You basically are in competition with other people to get it, so imagine a real life ebay auction. They size from XXS to XXL - their sizing is generous. I'm an XXS-XS in most things, typically wearing a size 2/4 in pants. Leggings are one size (0-12) or 'tall/curvy' for plus sizing.

I'm using Lularoe to build out my work wardrobe over the next several months. Breathable and comfy :lovestruc

Oh goodness.... Like I need another clothing addiction Haha!

Hi @Zim - welcome to the group. Is that your kitty in your avatar? If so, he's super cute and I love those gorgeous eyes! :cat:

Agreed! @Zim -- sooooo beautiful!

Woohoo? Let's see. After about two and a half hours in the hairdressers chair Saturday all my old hair color has been bleached out and it's now a pretty white blonde. And it didn't all break off or fall out. Its super short right now, so I've been going to an uber tready barbershop. When I was getting my hair done the gal next to us cranked out about six haircuts, all the same shaved on the sides and long on the top. It was fascinating.

I'm still getting my steps in and still going to pilates. We did simple movements last night, really concentrating on breath. I slept really, really well last night. I need to remember to breath all the time.

I'm knitting a rather large wrap that takes 1000 yards of yarn, five skeins. I'm almost thru the second skein so I am makng progress. It is a nice meditative knit and I am enjoying it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, yes the avatar cat is my Martin. I have three, but he's my favorite (don't tell the other two). He's a huge black cat but he follows me around like a shadow and sleeps with his head on my shoulder at night. If I'm watching TV he likes to cradle in my lap and have his stomach pet (first cat I've ever met who let anyone touch their tummy let alone go into a catatonic state of bliss!)

Thanks, I know it's been a while, fell off the wagon something fierce! XD Yes, the first thing I do in the morning is roll out of bed and pop that pill and hit the shower. But my numbers were still not great... so I give myself a full hour. I also found out I was sabotaging myself with the other medicine my doctor told me to take: calcium chewables!! Apparently, they need to be taken a good four+ hours AFTER the hypothyroid medication. So now I take that and a biotin supplement (for my sad thin hair) after lunch!

As to a WOO HOO moment. Well, today is my Thursday and tomorrow is my Friday since I start a mini vakay this Friday through Monday! Just a little jaunt with my history loving boyfriend. Basically the REAL trip in October for Disney and HHN is for me and my daughter and his son - he's not a coaster rider and does a lot of kindle reading in the parks... so the summer trip is for his history stuff and I'm along for the ride (and company)!

And this need to drop the pounds is in direct correlation to the October trip as I'm worried the rides are going to be too snug, especially the Harry Potter rides. Not to mention most of my shorts don't fit right now.:sad:
Hmmmm... I take my thyroid stuff at night, but now I'm thinking I'll take it in the morning and see if that makes a difference

Thanks guys, yes the avatar cat is my Martin. I have three, but he's my favorite (don't tell the other two). He's a huge black cat but he follows me around like a shadow and sleeps with his head on my shoulder at night. If I'm watching TV he likes to cradle in my lap and have his stomach pet (first cat I've ever met who let anyone touch their tummy let alone go into a catatonic state of bliss!)
I also have a black cat, Mike. He's practically perfect in every way. A total headbutter, which can be a challenge when knitting. The only naughty thing he does is scratch the furniture every once in a while. All I have to do though is gasp in horror and he'll stop. My other cat, Whitehall, is a real unique personality... To put it nicely.

:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

Martin sounds like an amazing friend. Isn't it great when you have a little buddy?

I hope I'm not too late to the party. I would like to join in for a 6 pound weight loss.

I'm 45 and fight the same 30 pounds over and over. Right now I'm on the high end at 200 - I feel much more comfortable at 170! I'm not very maintenance based (morning routines consist of highest priorities - cat litter HIGH priority... putting on makeup, meh...) As far as eating and exercise in the morning - I have a thyroid issue and the medication requires no eating for 30 minutes afterward so I don't eat until I get to the office. I am not enough of a morning person to exercise - that has to wait until after work.

As far as rope drop - we finally managed to get there on time (somehow I never bank the time it takes to get through parking / tram rides / shuttles). My boyfriend and I were there for a day at Hollywood Studios. I was so excited and ready to make a beeline for Midway Mania when he turns and says he needs to use the restroom. So he wanders off to find a restroom and I'm kicking myself that I didn't do the whole mom "do you need to go?" thing before we lined up. I had a little mini-temper tantrum in my head as I watched everyone else head off when the rope dropped. Of course it ended up being fine, the line was still ridiculously short relative to what it would be the rest of the day! And it was a great day - ended with the Star Wars dessert party (our first - so worth it!)

I would have been upset if dh suddenly had to take a detour too. My son and his fiance are doing the Star Wars dessert party in a couple of weeks on their honeymoon.

Well yesterday did not go as planned. We knew we were going have a quick fast food dinner because my daughter had a 90 minute vision test and we had not time to cook. I ended up having her at the pediatricians office in the morning for an issue she had on Monday. I got to work at about 8 and then had to leave to get her at 9:45. An appointment that should not have taking long took way longer then it should. Not the doctors fault. They got us in early. They needed a urine sample and it took my daughter 30-45 minutes to do that. Everything came back fine but her sugar was really high. Thankfully this has happened once before so I did not freak out this time. We had to wait a little longer so she could have her blood tested. It came back normal but now I only had like 20 minutes now to get her lunch and back to camp before they left for a field trip. Thankfully the buses were late since we got to camp about 5 minutes after they were supposed to leave. I needed to be back at work by 2 for a meeting but needed to stop at the hospital to drop stuff off at the. Should have only taken a few minutes but they made me wait for like 30 minutes. I still needed to eat ant it was now almost 1. I ran through BK for lunch and ate it on my way back to work. This is not what I had planned but I knew I would not have time for the lunch I brought. After being at a stand still on the high way I finally made it back to work with about 5 minutes to spare for my meeting. I was able to have my husband take my daughter to the vision test and I met them there so I could get an extra hour of work. He took our son home and I stayed with my daughter. I didn't get home last night until like 7:30. I decided to eat Chipotle for dinner.

I ended up eating out twice yesterday and ran all over the place to try and get everything done. I was exhausted and didn't want to get my last 1500 steps in our my squats. At about 9:45 I got up from the couch and got both done. After trying to talk myself out of it for about 30 minutes I decided I had to get it done. I have been going so good and I did not want to get out of the routine. So I just sucked it up and finished up what I needed to do.

I am sure hoping today goes much better. I should get the final results of the testing for both the vision and her other issue today or tomorrow. But I am not expecting anything to come up with the medical issue since they did not see anything in the office and the doctor thinks she is fine. The vision test is another story but the guy that administrated the test said she did good. He is the head of the therapy and did a quick check to see her progress. He said she is doing really good and thinks she will be good after the 18 weeks are done. Yay!

Well now that I rambled on I should get to doing my work. Sorry it being so long. Have a great day!

I hope today was better. I am glad to hear that things are going well for your daughter.

It has been fairly quite it lately. Well except for yesterday. My woohoo's this week are miner but some that i am excited about.

1. The medical issue my daughter had could have been more serious but turns out she is fine.
2. I got all of the kids school supplies this past Saturday and we are doing school clothes shopping on Friday. (we have tax free day this weekend on school stuff. I should be able to get some deals)
3. I am off on Friday to take the kids to the fair and shopping. I will eat horribly this day. I have to have my sausage sandwich and fries. Plus a milk shake. I was in 4-H growing up and I have not gone a year without having these foods. I used to pretty much live at the fair for a week now we just visit 1 day.

Sometimes you do have to splurge.

I guess my woohoo is that I have not died getting my 11,000 steps the last 2 days. 11,000 seems like twice the amount of 10,000, lol. I don't know why. My legs are sore today. I walked outside again last night (it was a cool 97 degrees, ugh) and I think I walk more quickly outside than on the treadmill. I'll have to use an app to track that and check.

Getting all my steps in today will be an effort. I have a friend coming over for 4 hours to wait while our daughters are at a movie/event. Then my brother and his wife are arriving shortly after she leaves, to stay for a few days and dump their dog here for me to watch for 10 days. My 9 year old is also having a friend stay the night. I'll fit it in somehow, I don't want to have to make it up on another day!

I am not really having Summer Sadness, but I do feel a case of Back to School stress coming on. My kids attend a University Model school, which means that they do 2 days of school and 2 or 3 days of studying at home. So in the next few weeks I have 4 hour orientations for 3 different kids, school supplies to get, books to finish buying, back to school parties, meet the teacher, etc, etc, etc. Oh well, deep breaths and check one thing off at a time I guess.

That sounds like an interesting school. ON the days they are home studying do they have access to their teacher. I would think it might be hard for a math class for some students. We went to block schedule a few years before I left so the kids had classes every other day. For the high level students it was not a problem. For the middle of the road and the lower level it was a bit of a problem.

I'm a little late, but I definitely want to join again this month. I have to get myself back on track. I've come quite a ways, but I have a long way to go as well.

I'm Becky and I've been on these challenges since the middle of February. I've lost 30 pounds since then, which is good, but that's exactly where I was a month and a half ago. The good news is that I haven't gained, but I also haven't lost and I need to get that started again!

I'm 45, married for 24 years and have 3 kids. The oldest 2 are getting ready to head off to college in a couple of weeks, so it will just be DH, DS 14 and myself at home most of the year. DD19 is going to be a sophomore going back for her 2nd year 3.5 hours away. This is DD18's first year and she will be 6 hours away. They are in opposite directions, so there is no meeting in the middle or anything like that. It will take some adjustments, but they are both very excited and I'm excited for them!

My goal for the month is going to be 8 pounds. That's basically 2 pounds per week and if I'd get back to tracking everything in MFP, I know I can accomplish it!

I am not a morning person. I hate getting up and have a pretty bad morning routing. I have to be at work at 7:00. I usually get out of bed about 6:15 after hitting snooze 3 times (I know, not a good habit :o). I the quickly shower, get ready and head out the door by 6:45. Luckily, work is only about 8 minutes away and I often drive thru McDonald's and get a sausage mcmuffin (I know, another terrible choice). When I was doing better with me eating, I was making an egg sandwich at home. I REALLY need to get back into doing that. Many fewer calories and much better overall. I am not a coffee drinker and I do not workout in the morning. At one point quite a few years back, I tried going to our local gym in the morning, but it is just not how I'm wired.

Our family hasn't been to Disney nearly as much as many on this thread, but we've never done rope drop. My kids would probably look at me like I have 3 heads if I'd suggest it. They are not morning people either!

I might have to come back with my WooHoo later on today when hopefully something WooHoo worthy happens. As far as health and wellness go, this just hasn't been a great week, but next week, I hope to have some great and healthy woohoos!

Welcome Becky. Dh and I have been empty nesters for the last couple of years. Before that ds1 went to college while ds2 started high school so it was just him and us for a few years. It was fun.

I will have to look up for my wedding in April.

My woohoo for the day is that fitbit is replacing my fitbit free of charge! The new one should be here in about a week!

Yeah about new replacement.

Have a great vacation.

WOOHOO: I am woohoo-ing this was my first time trying the Tues night class at the yoga studio I go to and WHOA! This lady kicked my butt in the best way. I'm kinda glad Monday fell through so I could try out this class. I loved it! Secondary woohoos: I was able to have flat feet with downward dog this class (haven't had that in a WHILE!) and I am only moderately sore this morning meaning I am not as weak and pathetic as I was this time last month Haha! Yay for progress even if the scale refuses to show it right now!

I am glad you had fun at your yoga class last night.

Woohoo? Let's see. After about two and a half hours in the hairdressers chair Saturday all my old hair color has been bleached out and it's now a pretty white blonde. And it didn't all break off or fall out. Its super short right now, so I've been going to an uber tready barbershop. When I was getting my hair done the gal next to us cranked out about six haircuts, all the same shaved on the sides and long on the top. It was fascinating.

I'm still getting my steps in and still going to pilates. We did simple movements last night, really concentrating on breath. I slept really, really well last night. I need to remember to breath all the time.

I'm knitting a rather large wrap that takes 1000 yards of yarn, five skeins. I'm almost thru the second skein so I am makng progress. It is a nice meditative knit and I am enjoying it.

I haven't knitted anything with 5 skeins in a while. Glad to hear you are making progress.

Our first cat was a black cat. We got him 2 weeks after we got married.

Good Wednesday morning. It is WOOHOO Wednesday.

Disney World has many many tributes to Walt through out the park. The most famous is his statue in front of the castle

But there are two more. The first is at the the train station. You can see it even before you cross into the tunnel. Just like the opening credits of a movie.

View attachment 185679

The second is at the end of Main Street, right over the Plaza Restaurant just like the closing credits.

View attachment 185680

What is your WOOHOO moment for today?

My woohoo moment is that I got shoes for my son's wedding next week. My mother was on my case last since I hadn't gotten then yet. I could have gotten them a half size smaller but I never know if my left foot is going to be a problem or not. I would rather them slightly too big than too small. They are sparkly. I don't know how dh is going to like them but I do. I also found a pair of clip on earrings with some sparkle and a couple of tops and shrugs for the rehearsal dinner and maybe the breakfast the next morning.

I just found this thread and would love to join. I am 34 mother of 2 DD4 DS almost 1, great husband, 2 dogs, 1 cat (soon to be 3!), 2 horses and I love all things Disney. We just planned a last minute trip to WDW for Labor Day weekend and a few days after and I am so excited. My goal for this month is to lose 8lbs and try not to gain them all back in the week we are at Disney. I just decided to transition to full time stay at home mom and am still trying to get into a routine. I take a very challenging workout class twice a week but have been slacking on my days off and really slacking on my diet/nutrition.
Goal -8lbs
Morning Routine - I want to start working out before coffee and get back to my eggs for breakfast (I have been consuming way too many carbs)
WooHoo - I got to spend the day visiting a friend and our kids enjoyed playing together. Its not always easy to get together because she moved about an hour away but I had a great time and a renewed determination to make the effort to get together more regularly.

What is your WOOHOO moment for today?
I am woohoo-ing that I am taking the next step in my pursuit of health. For 13 months, I have logged my food and walked. I purposefully stayed off the weight machines because I wanted to lose a lot of weight and didn't want to take on more than I can handle. This month, I've challenged myself to do a couple of exercises that are not walking. I know that some of you work out regularly, so this may seem very minor, but I'm thrilled that I feel ready to take on another challenge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter