Kinder eggs?

You can get Kinder Eggs in Mexico? Why did I now know this? Are they the same as the ones you can get in Germany, i.e. same taste, etc...?

Apparently I need to look for these in Vancouver... never heard of them before reading about them here!

So - if you weren't a big Kinder egg fan and don't follow disboards threads - how would you know they are illegal to bring into the US anyway? How did everyone here learn they were illegal, if not the disboards? I could totally see my mom buying these for her grandkids b/c they seem fun and having zero clue that she could be fined.

I didn't know they were illegal at all until this morning when I read it on the blog, I feel like such a pirate, lol.

So - if you weren't a big Kinder egg fan and don't follow disboards threads - how would you know they are illegal to bring into the US anyway? How did everyone here learn they were illegal, if not the disboards? I could totally see my mom buying these for her grandkids b/c they seem fun and having zero clue that she could be fined.

There have a been a few news stories about it from time to time but other than that, you really wouldn't have any way of knowing. If you are just bringing in a couple, Customs would probably just seize them and let you know about it. Bringing in dozens, which would look like you might be bringing them in to sell, would probably get you hit with a fine.

I have never heard of these. Thanks to this thread & google I learned something new. I wonder why Cracker Jack didn't stay as popular. lol

The difference is that the toy in Cracker Jack isn't inside the food product. Kinder Eggs (the real ones) are a chocolate hollow egg with a small (not food) toy inside.

The new "kinder egg" that's being allowed for sale in the US is a half chocolate/half plastic egg. The toy being in the plastic side.

The FDA considers the toy inside the chocolate a choking hazard. The eggs that are being made for the United States will have a plastic side that holds the toy and a chocolate side you can eat.

You can get Kinder Eggs in Mexico? Why did I now know this? Are they the same as the ones you can get in Germany, i.e. same taste, etc...?

I used to buy them in Cozumel. Kinder chocolate is one of my favourites. Comparing it to what you get in the UK it's a slightly different texture but taste pretty similar, I much prefer the European ones (I even had one yesterday), but maybe that's just because it what I was bought up on lol.

What a lot of fuss over some chocolate eggs. They're not even that good. Must be the forbidden fruit effect that makes people want them. I don't agree with the ban on bringing them in. A ban on selling them, I understand, but just posessing them? They aren't laced with drugs.

Agree. I have never seen the fuss over kinder chocolate - I've had much better from other places. If the silly eggs weren't banned I doubt people would be so Gaga over them.

Apparently I need to look for these in Vancouver... never heard of them before reading about them here!

Yes, the Disboards is where I learned about them before we did our Alaskan cruise last year. It made us want to find them and buy them, just because they are illegal in the US, lol.

I still don't understand why they are illegal. It's not just a toy encased in chocolate. It is a hollow chocolate egg with a 1" plastic capsule that the toy is inside. I don't know who would actually eat that. It should just have a label on it that says 'choking hazard for kids under 3' like anything else that is small.

Agree. I have never seen the fuss over kinder chocolate - I've had much better from other places. If the silly eggs weren't banned I doubt people would be so Gaga over them.

For me it's nostalgia. Every time my grandma picked me and my cousins up from school she bought us one. A tradition my aunt has carried on, even when I saw her yesterday she gave me a box!
I also really like the chocolate haha. And that's from someone who grew up in the city where Cadbury is made (real Cadbury, not American Cadbury haha)

I brought back about 40 of them from Germany last fall--the real ones--as gifts. They are only illegal to sell, so you can possess them without an issue. Or at least that's my understanding. I really wouldn't worry about it.

No, it's illegal to have them.

The difference is that the toy in Cracker Jack isn't inside the food product. Kinder Eggs (the real ones) are a chocolate hollow egg with a small (not food) toy inside.

The new "kinder egg" that's being allowed for sale in the US is a half chocolate/half plastic egg. The toy being in the plastic side.

Have you had one from Canada? What you describe isn't the reality of the kinder egg. It's not just sitting in the chocolate. The pictures egg in the article (with the video play button over it) shows the kinder egg. It has a huge, hard for an adult to open, plastic shell inside the chocolate. You open the shell thing to get to the toy. And in ds's experience most often the toy is paper. But no one is biting into chocolate and ending up with a toy in their mouth. You bite and hit the plastic shell and hand it to your parent to open lol.

The US is being ridiculous because what they are worried about can't happen with the actual egg.

I found some in World Market this year and I was surprised to see them.

This is the link I found saying they were a choking hazard.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/easter-candy-kinder-eggs-choking-hazard/

World Market sells kinder, but not the illegal kinder eggs. They have a different version.

Either way the chocolate is just so bad imo. As ds gets older he agrees, but as a younger kid he just saw chocolate and was good with that.

As for how anyone woukd know, it's always a good idea to look at the customs and border info for places you're traveling to or back to. I believe both the us and Canadian websites for that show that product with warnings...

They are sold in Canada so no problem there. They even sell big one with a big toy at Easter and Christmas.

Most times the toys have to be put together not just paper, paper tells you how.

I much prefer the European ones (I even had one yesterday), but maybe that's just because it what I was bought up on lol.

I grew up in Germany as an Army brat and would get them from the bakery truck that would visit the US Armed Forces housing complexes, as well as in stores. I don't know how I'd react to one that tasted different. I guess it's the nostalgia.

The chocolate on the kinder eggs isn't that great; it's better than Hershey's though. It's the awesome buildable toys inside that we like. The other kinder products have really good chocolate for mass produced products. I find some of the recent CPSC bans to be ridiculous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter