Kinder eggs?

monkeybird

Mouseketeer
Kinder eggs are illegal in the US, but are they illegal on the ship? Say if we were to grab some in Vancouver pre cruise?... Asking for a friend.

So funny you posted this! I was just about to ask the same, and also (sorry to hijack the thread!) if they are available at any ports in Western Caribbean.

Bought them many times in Cozumel.
Even bought them home after debarking and flying out of Miami. Pretty sure they were in my carry on. No one said anything. At the time I didn't know they were illegal in the US...

And at about $2500 fine for each undeclared Egg. Remember to Declare everything!

Kinder eggs are illegal in the US, but are they illegal on the ship? Say if we were to grab some in Vancouver pre cruise?... Asking for a friend.

On the ship is probably a bit of a gray area. I doubt anyone would stop you from embarking with them in Vancouver. But I recommend that you eat them (or at least open them) before debarkation. Again, people do carry them into the US but that doesn't make it legal, and if you are the one caught that argument isn't likely to get you out of the fine. We bought some in Montreal a couple of months ago and just made sure DD opened them in the car before we got to the border.

Enjoy your cruise!

We ate a LOT Of Kinder chocolate in our 2 days in Vancouver before the cruise as we didn't want to chance it. I think we bought even more in the airport on the way home and ended up opening them, putting the chocolate into a Ziploc bag and bringing it home that way.

Having said all that..DD17 was on a school trip to Germany this April and brought home 25 unopened Kinder eggs to share with her sister. 10 in her carryon, and the rest in the checked luggage. I told her to feign ignorance if she was told they're illegal. (I was also crossing my fingers that she'd make it through customs without incident.) Luckily, she had no issues (Munich to Heathrow to Boston)...but I couldn't believe she brought that many back. They went on the customs form as 'chocolate' with the rest of the chocolate she bought. Note that I do NOT recommend this method.

We ate a LOT Of Kinder chocolate in our 2 days in Vancouver before the cruise as we didn't want to chance it. I think we bought even more in the airport on the way home and ended up opening them, putting the chocolate into a Ziploc bag and bringing it home that way.

Having said all that..DD17 was on a school trip to Germany this April and brought home 25 unopened Kinder eggs to share with her sister. 10 in her carryon, and the rest in the checked luggage. I told her to feign ignorance if she was told they're illegal. (I was also crossing my fingers that she'd make it through customs without incident.) Luckily, she had no issues (Munich to Heathrow to Boston)...but I couldn't believe she brought that many back. They went on the customs form as 'chocolate' with the rest of the chocolate she bought. Note that I do NOT recommend this method.
Thank you for sharing your ship experience, Geomom.
Opening them and repackaging them separately seems smart if we have leftovers.

So funny you posted this! I was just about to ask the same, and also (sorry to hijack the thread!) if they are available at any ports in Western Caribbean.

We bought some for our dd5 in cozumel when we visited but had her open them at the port so that way we could bring them "legally" back into the US. There's a hefty fine if caught bringing them into the US

I brought back about 40 of them from Germany last fall--the real ones--as gifts. They are only illegal to sell, so you can possess them without an issue. Or at least that's my understanding. I really wouldn't worry about it.

The chocolate part isn't the part the U.S doesn't like it is the toy inside that is a choking hazard. That is why they were banned in the first place.

Here in Canada we have different versions now, some have Disney mini statues in them , even a Frozen one. These are not true Kinder Eggs though different chocolate I think.

Last edited:
I don't believe this is true... People have been fined and eggs confiscated in small amounts and with no intention to sell.
I brought back about 40 of them from Germany last fall--the real ones--as gifts. They are only illegal to sell, so you can possess them without an issue. Or at least that's my understanding. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Also, if you just love the chocolate, you can buy Kinder chocolate bars.... no toy.

article

I don't believe this is true... People have been fined and eggs confiscated in small amounts and with no intention to sell.

Yeah, I may not be right, but that's what I was told on another message board before traveling. I'm not condoning it, but I didn't have an issue and we had several flights to get home, eggs in my suitcase. Maybe I just got lucky? We even had the Kinder Maxis in our carry-ons.

I have never heard of these. Thanks to this thread & google I learned something new. I wonder why Cracker Jack didn't stay as popular. lol

We bought about 10 in May on our Southern Carribean in Martinique in a little grocery store , a dollar a piece , I couldn't believe it. I took them on board and we still had about 5 left over and brought them back to the US with us with no problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter