Just got off amazing first cruise back for the Wonder happy to answer questions

What does anyone recommend for WiFi? AT&T cruise packages are worthless like barely any mb and the last cruise we went on we bought the WiFi on the cruise but still got charged enormously from our carrier. Any tips how to handle getting and using WiFi on the ship?
If you go into phone settings and turn off cellular data and just use wifi you should not be charged by your carrier.

What kinds of activities on the ship did you partake in?
Lots of trivia, games shows generation quest, Mouseketeer Madness, who wants to be a pirate, family crafts, karaoke, eating ice cream, seriously the blueberry flavor soft serve is incredible. We watched the main shows and I saw they had live music and a magician onboard though we didn’t do either of those.

Do you know if you can see the fireworks at sea without being up on the top decks? We have a port side room and I’m not sure my daughter will be able to stay up late enough but don’t want to miss out.

What does anyone recommend for WiFi? AT&T cruise packages are worthless like barely any mb and the last cruise we went on we bought the WiFi on the cruise but still got charged enormously from our carrier. Any tips how to handle getting and using WiFi on the ship?
In addition to turning off cellular data, you should also turn off automatic updates for apps, location services, and automatic uploads for pictures if you use that feature. That way, your device won’t start sending and receiving a lot of data over the wifi connection as soon as you open it. I also switch my email client to manual download for mail, since I normally have email downloaded automatically (push on my iDevices), and I turn off the feature that automatically loads remote images in mail messages. A couple of emails with large image attachments can eat up a lot of data for the wifi plan. I then selectively load specific images I need when prompted in the reading pane of my email client.

Pre-Covid, you could stop at the onboard help desk for wifi services by the Promenade Lounge and the cast member could check your device for these data leaks that can eat wifi data packages very quickly. They had a list of common things that need to be turned off to avoid them. I think this was in recognition that a good number of cruisers would go through the free 50 MB data package in a very short wifi session as soon as they activated it because they had things happening in the background. My DW usually has the pictures she takes with her phone automatically uploaded to iCloud, and she can take a lot of pictures. Having turned off cellular and wifi data streams, pictures she had taken that were waiting to upload would start streaming as soon as the wifi connection was made unless she had anticipated the situation in advance and changed the settings on her phone. After 20 cruises with DCL, I think we’ve figured it out.

Do you know if you can see the fireworks at sea without being up on the top decks? We have a port side room and I’m not sure my daughter will be able to stay up late enough but don’t want to miss out.
Fireworks are typically on the starboard side on the Dream... not sure about the Wonder. If that is the case, you might not be able to see much from your stateroom balcony on the port side. However, post-covid they are doing fireworks twice on every cruise so that guests can be distanced on the top deck, with each party reserved a particular fireworks show. So if you have another adult in your travel party, you could take turns and one of you go to the top deck at the reserved time, and the other adult goes to watch the other fireworks show from deck 4. DH and I almost always trade off evenings with the kids. It's actually better now than when it was just one show, since we had to draw lots for who would get the fireworks before!

Edited to add--I originally wrote that fireworks were on two nights but I think it is maybe just twice in one night--the website just says twice. So I edited my post accordingly. Either way, same logic applies--taking turns should be possible.

Fireworks are typically on the starboard side on the Dream... not sure about the Wonder. If that is the case, you might not be able to see much from your stateroom balcony on the port side. However, post-covid they are doing fireworks twice on every cruise so that guests can be distanced on the top deck, with each party reserved a particular fireworks show. So if you have another adult in your travel party, you could take turns and one of you go to the top deck at the reserved time, and the other adult goes to watch the other fireworks show from deck 4. DH and I almost always trade off evenings with the kids. It's actually better now than when it was just one show, since we had to draw lots for who would get the fireworks before!

Edited to add--I originally wrote that fireworks were on two nights but I think it is maybe just twice in one night--the website just says twice. So I edited my post accordingly. Either way, same logic applies--taking turns should be possible.
@DCnew21 We just got off the Wonder and can confirm the fireworks are on the starboard side of the ship.

Thanks so much for the tips! We will figure out a rotation for the fireworks if she’s sleeping.

just figured out the reason it seemed like the port adventures were booked was because we had a kids club reservation that over lapped with the in port adventure time by 15 minutes. I cancelled her kids club and was able to book our port adventure. Yay! You guys are all so helpful for this first time cruise Fam!

We will be on the Wonder to Cabo next week. Thinking of doing a snorkeling excursion.
How was the water?? Very cold?
Good experience for an 11 or 15 year old??

No popcorn on the ship. We were told there was no food allowed in the theaters but drinks were ok. Preludes had drinks for sale but no food or snacks.
We did see a family in the movie theater eating pizza. Pretty sure they snuck it in.

Is a mask required while watching a movie?

One more dumb first timer question - Does anyone know if we need to bring a car seat for transportation from the port to the excursion? It says it’s a short trip and I presume it will be a bus or something that doesn’t require it but just don’t want any mishaps!

No need for the car seat on excursion transportation. Exactly what kind of transportation that will be may depend on the excursion and port. Just be aware that many are open-air shuttles with bench seats and may not have seat belts.

So am I right inferring that each party/group had their own table at dinner?

So am I right inferring that each party/group had their own table at dinner?
I couldn’t tell you other than to say our family had our own table. The most people I saw at a table was 6 or 7, but that could have easily been a family or friends traveling together. Someone who travelled solo would be in a better position to answer this question.

Just reading and enjoying your trip report. I’m on the Wonder next week! My question is about the test prior to boarding. You do your own swab? Is it the kind where you seem to be poking your brain? 😬

Just reading and enjoying your trip report. I’m on the Wonder next week! My question is about the test prior to boarding. You do your own swab? Is it the kind where you seem to be poking your brain? 😬
Yes. You do your own swab. It doesn’t go in that far (maybe an inch). It definitely tickles the nose!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter