• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just got off amazing first cruise back for the Wonder happy to answer questions

In addition to turning off cellular data, you should also turn off automatic updates for apps, location services, and automatic uploads for pictures if you use that feature. That way, your device won’t start sending and receiving a lot of data over the wifi connection as soon as you open it. I also switch my email client to manual download for mail, since I normally have email downloaded automatically (push on my iDevices), and I turn off the feature that automatically loads remote images in mail messages. A couple of emails with large image attachments can eat up a lot of data for the wifi plan. I then selectively load specific images I need when prompted in the reading pane of my email client.

Pre-Covid, you could stop at the onboard help desk for wifi services by the Promenade Lounge and the cast member could check your device for these data leaks that can eat wifi data packages very quickly. They had a list of common things that need to be turned off to avoid them. I think this was in recognition that a good number of cruisers would go through the free 50 MB data package in a very short wifi session as soon as they activated it because they had things happening in the background. My DW usually has the pictures she takes with her phone automatically uploaded to iCloud, and she can take a lot of pictures. Having turned off cellular and wifi data streams, pictures she had taken that were waiting to upload would start streaming as soon as the wifi connection was made unless she had anticipated the situation in advance and changed the settings on her phone. After 20 cruises with DCL, I think we’ve figured it out.
Very very helpful thankful

Hii!! I have a 2yr old that LOVES Halloween so we were hoping to take her on this cruise this month! However, I’m still feeling uncertain with the whole COVID pandemic and her not being vaccinated and with toddlers just wanted to touch and feel everything!…just wanted to see if I can get your thoughts being on the cruise recently and how safe you felt having kids yourself. How did you feel the overall sanitation of the ship was, how frequent was it, how often was social distancing and masks enforced, how crowded the dining and activity areas were, etc. Any inputs on this would be greatly appreciated!

Hi: I just went on the Wonder this past weekend, with my 9-yr old and 2-yr old. I know everyone is different, but wanted to share that I felt very safe having my kids onboard. We didn’t get too close to anyone, everyone wore their masks, and i felt better knowing that everyone on board had tested negative. The dining and shows were all spaced out, which was nice.

Hi: I just went on the Wonder this past weekend, with my 9-yr old and 2-yr old. I know everyone is different, but wanted to share that I felt very safe having my kids onboard. We didn’t get too close to anyone, everyone wore their masks, and i felt better knowing that everyone on board had tested negative. The dining and shows were all spaced out, which was nice.

Thank you so much! We are definitely feeling more at ease! May I also ask how the waters were….we are motion sickness prone >.<…. we are going on the 10/27 four night cruise, would you or anyone happen to know/heard how the passenger capacity is looking like on that cruise? Thank you guys!

This past weekend, the seas were calm. We only felt movement a little one night at bedtime. The itinerary was Ensenada and a sea day, so the ship mainly moved very slowly as it wasn't really going anywhere!

This past weekend, the seas were calm. We only felt movement a little one night at bedtime. The itinerary was Ensenada and a sea day, so the ship mainly moved very slowly as it wasn't really going anywhere!
We were on the first 4N to Cab on 10/1. I have never felt more vibration on the Wonder. It was crazy. To make Cabo in time they are really pushing the speed. We were over 20kn the entire way.

We were on the first 4N to Cab on 10/1. I have never felt more vibration on the Wonder. It was crazy. To make Cabo in time they are really pushing the speed. We were over 20kn the entire way.
Kids and I couldn’t sleep with all the rattling.

Just off the Wonder last Monday and wanted to add a few things we hadn't known. The port arrival could not have been easier- drop luggage, get tested, enter waiting area for results. There are quite a few screens where they post who may then check in- ours took about 40 minutes, the results were being loaded in batches, maybe 42 numbers at a time at a guess, so keep your reservation number handy as easier than checking the app and they had little Mickey cartoons running on the monitors for the kids. Everything couldn't have been more perfect until after check in when they move you over to the waiting area when they take maybe 10 groups at a time for boarding to see Mickey and Minnie's little presentation, which was such fun. But that little waiting area was tricky as the lady was not always keeping track of who were new arrivals and who had been waiting their turn a while. Then on to our muster check in, super easy, and we were set to enjoy ship.
We heard there were maybe 900 for our 3 night weekend cruise, and plenty of kids. We had a small anxious moment when Guest Services said they may not open EDGE- so it was closed all of Friday. However Sat it was open and a couple times over the weekend they even reached capacity, surprised they didn't know how many tweens that were booked. And the staff in EDGE were amazing!!! We could barely get our tween to come out, big smiles on everyone in there.
I had a love/hate relationship with the app, lots of times it was wrong, really a lot- Tanzania event- nope, character greetings in atrium when they were doing backdrop shots- never enough room to even try those at the same time, btw, some new backdrops and very popular- check them out. Characters scheduled outside the Walt theater, also no one there several times. I think someone overscheduled the shutters staff as they just couldn't cover all the places being offered- and they were doing a phenomenal job. What I loved, and this from someone who was not excited about having to keep checking my phone for everything- okay, it was better than the paper navigators despite some errors in information, they'll smooth those wrinkles out- BUT, on Saturday we could already see a lot of Sundays offerings- so if there were shows or movies you were trying to decide between, you could see what other time slots it was offered the next day, never could do that with the daily delivery while you were at dinner. The biggest error, they never put the fireworks that were Saturday on the app- we only found out because of our outstanding server, she gave us the heads up.
They were doing Magic Shots, we got some great ones up on the pool deck without people in masks in the background, I had to have them all, great photographers. No extra charge!!!
We thought the food was outstanding in the dining rooms and pretty nice in Cabanas, very happy. When the Goofy pool got busy they cut it to 8 to 10 people at a time- I think the difference was if there were some adults or mostly small kids, ours went in on Sunday at 4:23 and they blew the whistle to get out for the next group at 4:40, so 17 min, we didn't try that again. This will ease as they are able to cruise without Covid rearing its head. Safety procedures were outstanding. The TV does not list the menus for dining so you really do need the app. But it did list activities, again, they were having some problems with inaccuracies but we were only the 3rd sailing for the Wonder, its a learning curve.
On the last day they planned that those who had put luggage out, they would start calling groups about 8:30am, for those of us wishing to self disembark, they said hopefully 8am but when we checked at 7:45 they had already started and we breezed right off. Passport control was quick and easy. The cruise felt plenty spacious, they were not using deck 2 so it kept it from feeling empty- Lots of doors were decorated as well as cabins. Already booked our next cruise- just happy to be back on Disney.

Just off the Wonder last Monday and wanted to add a few things we hadn't known. The port arrival could not have been easier- drop luggage, get tested, enter waiting area for results. There are quite a few screens where they post who may then check in- ours took about 40 minutes, the results were being loaded in batches, maybe 42 numbers at a time at a guess, so keep your reservation number handy as easier than checking the app and they had little Mickey cartoons running on the monitors for the kids. Everything couldn't have been more perfect until after check in when they move you over to the waiting area when they take maybe 10 groups at a time for boarding to see Mickey and Minnie's little presentation, which was such fun. But that little waiting area was tricky as the lady was not always keeping track of who were new arrivals and who had been waiting their turn a while. Then on to our muster check in, super easy, and we were set to enjoy ship.
We heard there were maybe 900 for our 3 night weekend cruise, and plenty of kids. We had a small anxious moment when Guest Services said they may not open EDGE- so it was closed all of Friday. However Sat it was open and a couple times over the weekend they even reached capacity, surprised they didn't know how many tweens that were booked. And the staff in EDGE were amazing!!! We could barely get our tween to come out, big smiles on everyone in there.
I had a love/hate relationship with the app, lots of times it was wrong, really a lot- Tanzania event- nope, character greetings in atrium when they were doing backdrop shots- never enough room to even try those at the same time, btw, some new backdrops and very popular- check them out. Characters scheduled outside the Walt theater, also no one there several times. I think someone overscheduled the shutters staff as they just couldn't cover all the places being offered- and they were doing a phenomenal job. What I loved, and this from someone who was not excited about having to keep checking my phone for everything- okay, it was better than the paper navigators despite some errors in information, they'll smooth those wrinkles out- BUT, on Saturday we could already see a lot of Sundays offerings- so if there were shows or movies you were trying to decide between, you could see what other time slots it was offered the next day, never could do that with the daily delivery while you were at dinner. The biggest error, they never put the fireworks that were Saturday on the app- we only found out because of our outstanding server, she gave us the heads up.
They were doing Magic Shots, we got some great ones up on the pool deck without people in masks in the background, I had to have them all, great photographers. No extra charge!!!
We thought the food was outstanding in the dining rooms and pretty nice in Cabanas, very happy. When the Goofy pool got busy they cut it to 8 to 10 people at a time- I think the difference was if there were some adults or mostly small kids, ours went in on Sunday at 4:23 and they blew the whistle to get out for the next group at 4:40, so 17 min, we didn't try that again. This will ease as they are able to cruise without Covid rearing its head. Safety procedures were outstanding. The TV does not list the menus for dining so you really do need the app. But it did list activities, again, they were having some problems with inaccuracies but we were only the 3rd sailing for the Wonder, its a learning curve.
On the last day they planned that those who had put luggage out, they would start calling groups about 8:30am, for those of us wishing to self disembark, they said hopefully 8am but when we checked at 7:45 they had already started and we breezed right off. Passport control was quick and easy. The cruise felt plenty spacious, they were not using deck 2 so it kept it from feeling empty- Lots of doors were decorated as well as cabins. Already booked our next cruise- just happy to be back on Disney.
Was there any option for Onboard Airline Check-In?

Last edited:
sorry, didn't see anything about it, we live here... but with such few passengers and the airport only a few miles up the road, they may not do that. There definitely wasn't anything in the debarkation instructions on the TV but maybe someone else flew? It did seem like there were more first time cruisers and not locals than I have ever experienced. Lots of excitement at seeing their first Disney ship :0)

Got off the wonder yesterday and there were only fireworks planned for one night!

Who was the cruise director and club host?
Hope the club host is Jo Slo but I doubt it as she seems to have taken a job in the UK according to her FB.. it'd be incredibly sad if she's not on DCL at all anymore.

The main thing my daughter is looking forward to on our upcoming cruise (on the Wonder, but from Galveston) is the Edge. Do you remember what the activities they had there were? I know different kids have different preferences - just trying to get a sense of whether she's likely to really like it or will end up let down...

Not sure my grandson noticed all that was going on but I know that there was plenty of Variety, not everyone had to be doing the same thing, that they also had games where once he won a pair of Edge sunglasses and another time an EDGE baseball hat, both were really nice. He has proudly worn them to school. I think he would say that the fact that they could chose what they wanted to join in doing was Huge, the fact that they reached capacity a couple times, but would reopen a spot as someone left, the happy chatter we overheard when he would go in, and that the staff was OUTSTANDING kept him so enthused. He had always loved the club and lab but with the covid restrictions we were glad he was now Edge age as he had choices inside there. We originally were not sure how soon we would book our next trip, but based Solely on his Edge experience, we came home and booked the Wish. Originally we were hesitant as we were not sure if tweens would be as charmed with the new ship, but the latest release showing their attention to Edge and Vibe caused a lot of excitement and he couldn't wait for me to book another sailing :0) But all credit goes to the Edge staff and activity selections.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter