• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just booked Christmas at Universal instead of Disney

I feel your pain. I am pretty bummed about the weather too. I am taking my Under Armour gear. We'll probably skip Saturday at the park. We only have a 5 day ticket anyway for 7 days.

I so wanted to just chill at the pool on the down days and grab a few drinks from the bar--but not when it's 40. I still might try the heated pool and/or hot tub.
...And now the high is down to 49 on the 25th. Last week I think it was around 60. It has dropped at least one degree every day this week as we get closer.

We are still going to do the pool the minute the air temps are above 60. It's our only chance for outdoor swimming until spring break in March, and we are not going to miss it. The woman at the hotel told me the pool temps are between 82 and 87 degrees, so we will just suffer the cold walk back.

I am planning on dressing for winter on the 25th and hoping for the best in the parks. My only consolation is the possibility of slightly lesser crowds as a result of the non ideal weather. I am a little worried my kids will insist they don't need coats and then be miserable in the parks. It's pulling teeth to get my 7 year old to wear his coat in subzero temps up here.

...And now the high is down to 49 on the 25th. Last week I think it was around 60. It has dropped at least one degree every day this week as we get closer.

We are still going to do the pool the minute the air temps are above 60. It's our only chance for outdoor swimming until spring break in March, and we are not going to miss it. The woman at the hotel told me the pool temps are between 82 and 87 degrees, so we will just suffer the cold walk back.

I am planning on dressing for winter on the 25th and hoping for the best in the parks. My only consolation is the possibility of slightly lesser crowds as a result of the non ideal weather. I am a little worried my kids will insist they don't need coats and then be miserable in the parks. It's pulling teeth to get my 7 year old to wear his coat in subzero temps up here.

Kids know best. lol I doubt I can get my 23dd to take appropriate layers. (or even pack a suitcase)

Maybe we'll see you at the pool (or fire pit). It's 76 when we land so I think the first evening will be pool then dinner at City Walk.

If the pools are really that warm, they will feel great when it's 45 out.

It's funny that 2 weeks ago I was bummed at the then forecast of 60-63 degrees Fri-Sun, and now it's 46-51.

Last edited:
It's funny that 2 weeks ago I was bummed at the then forecast of 60-63 degrees Fri-Sun, and now it's 46-51.
Yeah thanks by the way for tempting fate :).

I am still pumped to go though. I have never taken a vacation at Christmas time- I mean, when I was a kid, we might have traveled to visit family and stayed at a hotel, but that's not really the same thing. I can't remember ever not having a white Christmas. Although I am really nervous about the crowd level, it will be nice to not feel so rushed. All our previous trips were jammed into 4 day weekends, or a one day trip to the parks while we were in FL for something else. Between work and school schedules, week long trips are limited to either spring break or Christmas break, and I haven't had the nerve to try Christmas before.

Made it back yesterday. Only minor flight delays.

It was really disappointing that we couldn't enjoy the pool with some down time. We did get to spend about 2 hours Wednesday and 2 hours Thursday (before out flight) at the pool. While the drinks they make are crazy expensive with the gratuity they add, they are really good. Didn't get food there but it looked good too.

The Bistro 17 bar was closed much of our time there but we got to hang out there Wednesday night. Really cool bar.

We had 5 day passes and ended up only going 4 days. I think a 6 day trip would have been enough but I think we got lucky with the timing of our SW flights.

How did everyone else fair?

Just arrived today - gorgeous weather (high of 80) and very pleasant at night. Decided to mainly just stroll around IOA to check out the decorations, enjoy a Holiday treat (Grinch cookie/ice cream), and brave the madhouse that is the Hogswart Castle Christmas display.

Jumped on a couple of rides but mainly saving our energy for the next five days, as our best friends and their two teens (our godkids) join us tomorrow.

How did everyone else fair?
Mixed bag. I did not like the weather Sat-Mon- I had two hoodies, two pairs of pants (joggers), two pairs of socks, and my lighter winter coat (still a down coat, but thin) and was still a little cold at times. That said, we did get a lot done at the parks those three days. It was busy at times, but the longest we waited was about 75 min for Hagrid twice, and one of those times was due to a 25 min breakdown/delay. As long as we weren't in the Harry Potter areas, there was lots of room to walk around and take pictures.

Thursday was a different story (we did other things Tues and Wed). We were able to enjoy the Harry Potter areas from 7-8 am, but beat a hasty retreat at 8 am. From 8-9, it was still moving pretty nicely in all areas of the park except Harry Potter. From 9-10 it was getting pretty crowded everywhere, and by 10 am, we were done. Hard to walk anywhere.

We did not do express passes. All three hotels were sold out, and individual passes would have cost our family of 4 $1,300 every day we used it. Because of the weather, we were able to do everything pretty comfortably, but of course the weather itself wasn't all that comfortable. And even once the pool opened, it was pretty cold if you weren't in the sun. We did eat at the pool bar the last night (Thursday) and the food was pretty good.

I think we will go back once the new Universal park is built, but never, ever again during Christmas. Even with express passes, I do not think I would enjoy the park with the crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter