• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just booked Christmas at Universal instead of Disney

Ooh, we are at Universal this Christmas too!
5 nights at Royal pacific club level!
Not only a lot cheaper than Disney (we usually do Disney, and got married at WDW in 2010) but WAY less hassle, EPs included, none of the park pass, plus tickets, plus have to choose x ride at x time and match up park passes, tickets and whatever.
Disney has always been a project of a holiday, but, when I was balancing out WDW vs Universal for Christmas this year, it was really a no brainer.
We ARE booked for dinner at WL over at Disney on Christmas Eve, because I have a soft spot for WL, and want to see the decs and get some souvenirs, but no way could we justify the whole holiday at WDW - it's a very expensive headache!

We went to an 11:15 show of Grinchmas showing up at 11:10. No waiting at all. We sat in the back, which was fine.

The virtual queue for meeting the Grinch is really really hard to get a time slot. In 2 days of trying, I only had times show up 3 times and as soon as I clicked, they were already gone.

So our experience is that Grinchmas was much much easier to experience than the meet and greet.

Thanks for the information there. I'm hoping that will be the case for us regarding Grinchmas as kids (even though they are technically adults) aren't known for being patient. When we went last year we had a tough time getting into the show without a long wait. I remember we showed up a little early for one show but it was already sold out so we just stayed in line for the next show. I remember it was a long wait and a long line. Maybe we just need to plan to get to the earlier show? Sucks about that Grinch thing as I'd LOVE to be able to do that. :( We'll try but I won't get my hopes up I guess.

Not sure when you are going or what type of annual pass you are getting for $200, just be careful of the blockout dates for US for Mannheim Steamroller concerts Sat & Sun in Dec

The pass is military so only blockout dates are Christmas week and Easter week next year....but thanks for checking!

The forecast is getting worse by the day. Chance of rain everyday (so far) and temps 70 and under with low 50's at night.

I see the pools are heated. Are they really warm enough to swim in and enjoy?

The forecast is getting worse by the day. Chance of rain everyday (so far) and temps 70 and under with low 50's at night.

When are you going? Unless it’s in the next few days, the forecast is completely useless. Anything even a week out is guesswork, and heavily reliant on historical averages (El Ninos aside).

Average highs in Orlando mid to late December are in the 70’s with lows dipping into the 50s at night. It is also usually one of the drier months.

Last year the week between Christmas and New Years was extremely warm, topping out in the mid-80s. We arrive the 30th and would love a repeat of that.

We head down Wednesday and come back Friday, with Thursday being our one park day...and yeah that day's forecast looks pretty bad. I'm hoping it's typical "Florida" rain that just comes through and leaves but our chances of seeing the Macy's Parade now are looking kinda slim. At least the Grinchmas show is indoors.

When are you going? Unless it’s in the next few days, the forecast is completely useless. Anything even a week out is guesswork, and heavily reliant on historical averages (El Ninos aside).

Average highs in Orlando mid to late December are in the 70’s with lows dipping into the 50s at night. It is also usually one of the drier months.

Last year the week between Christmas and New Years was extremely warm, topping out in the mid-80s. We arrive the 30th and would love a repeat of that.
I remember the weather last year because we cancelled last year and I thought, wow, I hope it's this warm in 2022 but I am not that lucky. lol

Arrive on the 22nd to mid 60's and rain.

The last time we went to UO it was also 10-15 degrees below normal. Can't catch that warm weather but I guess it's better than 30/18 locally.

Last edited:

We head down Wednesday and come back Friday, with Thursday being our one park day...and yeah that day's forecast looks pretty bad. I'm hoping it's typical "Florida" rain that just comes through and leaves but our chances of seeing the Macy's Parade now are looking kinda slim. At least the Grinchmas show is indoors.

isn’t the storm that’s hitting CA now projected to make its way East in the next few days?

I remember the weather last year because we cancelled last year and I thought, wow, I hope it's this warm in 2022 but I am not that lucky. lol

Arrive on the 22nd to mid 60's and rain.

The last time we went to UO it was also 10-15 degrees below normal. Can't catch that warm weather but I guess it's better than 30/18 locally.
The 22nd is a full 10 days out. I wouldn't give that forecast ANY credit. Seriously - take it from a weather nerd - they're literally throwing darts anywhere past a few days, especially for precipitation.

Doesn't mean they won't be right - but that will just be out of luck. I used to obsess about the forecasts when we took our yearly road trips, hitting amusement parks along the way to visit family, and (pre-weather apps) watch the Weather Channel updates at night on repeat. But I learned to let that go after several instances of a "100 percent chance of rain, all day" forecast from the night before turning into a few scattered drops in the morning and sunshine the rest of the way.

Even hurricanes and monster storms are unpredictable. A few years ago we were in NYC for March break when "a snow storm of historic proportions" was said to be bearing down the the city. Two to three feet was predicted, with howling winds and white-out conditions. So the city basically shut down preemptively - many theatres and museums, and most of Times Square, announced they were closing for at least the next day.

You can see where this is going. They got maybe a couple inches, with some wind and sleet. With not much open, we decided to walk (yes, walk - but we are Canadians) to one of the theatres that didn't close, to see "Come From Away", which had just debuted on Broadway. So a magical day, all in all.

isn’t the storm that’s hitting CA now projected to make its way East in the next few days?
I had to check out that storm, as 99% of the time something that starts in California will not have any effect on the Southeast, as systems usually track with the jet stream, which runs northeast across the US.

But this thing is a monster. Not necessarily in severity (although it's pretty darn powerful) but in size - 3000kms long. That's enormous! And, yes, the models look like it will be pulling up moisture from the gulf later this week, mainly Thursday, into Florida. That day could be messy if the tracking is accurate.

I had to check out that storm, as 99% of the time something that starts in California will not have any effect on the Southeast, as systems usually track with the jet stream, which runs northeast across the US.

But this thing is a monster. Not necessarily in severity (although it's pretty darn powerful) but in size - 3000kms long. That's enormous! And, yes, the models look like it will be pulling up moisture from the gulf later this week, mainly Thursday, into Florida. That day could be messy if the tracking is accurate.

Yup, that's what I thought too.

My husband and i took my nephew for his 5th bday dec 1-4. Our first universal trip since we were kids and we have always been Disney people. With everything going on with Disney we decided to try universal and we LOVED it!!! They really go all out for Christmas. The grinch breakfast was amazing as was the parade. Enjoy!

Yikes! It's like record lows whenever I go. (2018 record lows too)

1671128058760.png

For reference, last year... (we cancelled)

1671128292960.png

Can you just arrive at Seaworld and buy tickets to get in?

We decided on a last minute Christmas trip, and I am so bummed by the weather forecast the 24th-27th. It gets worse every day- now the high is mid 40s for Christmas Eve and 50 for Christmas Day. I mean, it will still be a lot nicer than where I live, but I really wanted swim weather...Thursday looks to be the only day that would be remotely feasible, and even then might be cold once you're wet.

We decided on a last minute Christmas trip, and I am so bummed by the weather forecast the 24th-27th. It gets worse every day- now the high is mid 40s for Christmas Eve and 50 for Christmas Day. I mean, it will still be a lot nicer than where I live, but I really wanted swim weather...Thursday looks to be the only day that would be remotely feasible, and even then might be cold once you're wet.

Ugh...sorry to hear that. It could change a little bit. We've been in Florida when it's been cold...and sure it's warmer than our home (in Maryland) but that doesn't make it any easier. I've also had times when it's cold for a day or two then heats up to where you need shorts. I can't imagine any of the pools will be fun though.

We had a 3 day trip last week. Wed arrival in afternoon it was sunny and warm, Thursday we had overcast morning and then rain (and not just quick Florida rain but hours of rain) followed by colder temps. We flew home Friday afternoon. I was sad about the weather but of course nothing we could do about it.

Just make the best of your trip and enjoy not being in the somewhat colder weather back "home"!

Yeah it looks like that frigid Siberian air that's crossing over into North America will sink towards the Southeast and really cool things down. We head out next week, first to Nashville for a few days, then Orlando. Nashville is going to get it bad - this weekend it could get down to close to -10 with the wind chill.

The good news, if there is any, is that this should last only three or four days, which is of course cold comfort for those hoping for pool weather in Florida. Things should return to normal by the 28th/29th, meaning mid-70's for the highs (fingers crossed).

Ugh...sorry to hear that. It could change a little bit. We've been in Florida when it's been cold...and sure it's warmer than our home (in Maryland) but that doesn't make it any easier. I've also had times when it's cold for a day or two then heats up to where you need shorts. I can't imagine any of the pools will be fun though.

We had a 3 day trip last week. Wed arrival in afternoon it was sunny and warm, Thursday we had overcast morning and then rain (and not just quick Florida rain but hours of rain) followed by colder temps. We flew home Friday afternoon. I was sad about the weather but of course nothing we could do about it.

Just make the best of your trip and enjoy not being in the somewhat colder weather back "home"!
We live in Minneapolis where the high on Christmas Day is 10, so of course 50 is better, but you know, that's kind of a low bar. And I have found that 40s/50s in FL just feels a lot colder than 40s/50s in the Midwest. We were at Disney over spring break when the temps were also unseasonably cold for a day (at rope drop it was around 40 degrees) and I had on a sweatshirt and a coat and was still a little cold. Nothing I can do about it though but pack warm clothes and hope for the best. Maybe the cold temps will allow a slightly less bananas crowd than 70s and 80s temps would?

I feel your pain. I am pretty bummed about the weather too. I am taking my Under Armour gear. We'll probably skip Saturday at the park. We only have a 5 day ticket anyway for 7 days.

I so wanted to just chill at the pool on the down days and grab a few drinks from the bar--but not when it's 40. I still might try the heated pool and/or hot tub.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter