Juneteenth set to become a federal holiday in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, not at all. July 4th was when the United States declared independence from England's monarchy. That was a pivotal day -- not only in American history, but in world history.
It wasn't made on the 4th, it didn't become our thing on the 4th. The date was put in there and stuck in official documents when they were sent forth. There's dispute on the date of when it was actually signed (I've usually seen in August). The vote and technical separation was July 2nd.

4th of July is what we observe as our date of independence.

The conversation is about days off.
We can't take a day off work in honor of every group.
Agree, but there are actually two conversations -- one about whether Juneteenth should be a national holiday, and one about whether people get, want, etc national holidays off.

I was addressing the question about whether Juneteenth warrants a national holiday.

And in that part of the discussion there are two questions:
  1. Is Juneteenth the most important slavery/freedom/civil rights thing that should be a national holiday? No question that there are many, many things to celebrate -- but is this #2, behind only MLK?
  2. What about the other groups who have NO holidays?

I agree -does seem like it deserves a better identifier, like Emancipation Day

Emancipation Day is already a named "day" actually - it's, April 16th, the day Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation.

I hear what you're saying about it not sounding formal enough, but:

*The people who gained their freedom on June 19, 1865 are the people who came up with the name "Juneteenth". I think using the name they chose is a way for us to honor them in some way.

*A small percentage of Americans have been celebrating Juneteenth every year for a long time - they have an attachment to that name I am sure, and wouldn't want it changed.

*The holiday named "July 4th / 4th of July" isn't necessarily a cutesy name... But it sure is a boring name. It's literally just a date on a calendar. And yet it's not. You and I instantly know what those words mean, and feel the sense of pride and celebration or whatever you feel surrounding those words. In time, the term Juneteenth will become the same way for those of us who are still getting to know this holiday. Just give it a little time! 😊

The actual name is Independence Day.

True, Independence Day is its official name. But in my circles no one calls it that.
"What are you doing for the 4th of July?"
"Did you have a good fourth?"

In contrast no one has ever asked me what my plans are for December 25th.

"4th of July" is the title we use. So I'll stick with my point about the name we use as a country to celebrate that day being a boring name that still has deep meaning.

No but hourly employee get double or time and a half

20 years ago, yeah. Now, not so much. All of our local places, like grocery stores, that used to do that, do not anymore. On a personal level, this does not affect me at all. I work in one of those places that does not give people holidays off(except for Christmas Day) and we sure as heck don't get any extra money for working on holidays. In fact, they even block them off so you can't take any holidays off. We don't celebrate holidays because there is no point. My hubby gets many of them off, but I usually have to work and if I don't even get something like the 4th of July off, there sure as heck are not going to give us June 19th off. Holidays are just an annoyance at this point.

Man, I can’t believe these federal employees wanting another paid day off!!!!

Our founding fathers were willing to work on the Fourth of July, why can’t you??? :teeth:

Agree, but there are actually two conversations -- one about whether Juneteenth should be a national holiday, and one about whether people get, want, etc national holidays off.

I was addressing the question about whether Juneteenth warrants a national holiday.

And in that part of the discussion there are two questions:
  1. Is Juneteenth the most important slavery/freedom/civil rights thing that should be a national holiday? No question that there are many, many things to celebrate -- but is this #2, behind only MLK?
  2. What about the other groups who have NO holidays?
I'm talking about reality: we can't have work days off for ... well, everything and everybody. Doesn't mean this or that isn't important, but we've gotta get some work done some time.
20 years ago, yeah. Now, not so much. All of our local places, like grocery stores, that used to do that, do not anymore ...
My daughter who graduated from college in May 2020 has worked retail quite recently, and she LOVED "time-and-a-half" on holidays.
Maybe we should go the other way and make Prime Day a national holiday so we can sit home and do online shopping and buy stuff we don't need.
Shopping IS how we celebrate our holidays now.

I do get the "we can't make every day a national holiday" - for that reason, we do have many named (non-religious) days that are not federal holidays...

I mean, check this list out...cases could be made to elevate other days, too, but then as someone said, government workers would never end up working:)...

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter