• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Juneteenth set to become a federal holiday in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm striving for German efficiency.

View attachment 582652

The Dutch came last in something and it's a good thing! :D Well, mainly ;-)
Here in the Netherlands working parttime is very common. About 9,3 million people work. The 0,3 is unemployed, and the remaining 9 million is split 50/50 in working fulltime (35-40 hours) and parttime (less than 35 hours). The parttime work is also made easier because having a childcare system. Which definitely isn't perfect, it is expensive and some people say they work to pay for the childcare. And then it's up to the parents to decide. Also nowadays, housing is expensive here. You need a double income to get a good mortgage for a nice family house.

Downside: For some positions it is required to work full time, or at least 32 hours. If you work less, you have to increase your hours. Most of the parttime workers are women. If you work only a few hours a week, you are not the one getting promoted. Which results in less women in high up positions. There are campaigns to improve that, but it does go very slowly.

When it comes to national holidays, we have a lot less than for example France.
It's New Years Day, Easter, King's Day, Pentecost, Ascension, Christmas. So that's no holidays between May/June and December.

One more reason to like the Dutch.
Why, thank you! :)

Hmmm.....

The dutch, Norwegians, and Germans aren't spending that many hours in the office.... Maybe they have figured out that out of those 2088 hours you spend in the office every year in the US you are really spending < 1000 hours of doing real work.
Here in NL it is considered bad time management when you stay arrive early/stay late, put in more hours than you get paid for (structurally). It means you or the company is doing something wrong. Either you are not efficient, or the company let's the work of 2 people to be done by one.
And recently, it's also seen as that you are not taking care of yourself. Work/Life balance is a huge thing here.

The Dutch came last in something and it's a good thing! :D Well, mainly ;-)
Here in the Netherlands working parttime is very common. About 9,3 million people work. The 0,3 is unemployed, and the remaining 9 million is split 50/50 in working fulltime (35-40 hours) and parttime (less than 35 hours). The parttime work is also made easier because having a childcare system. Which definitely isn't perfect, it is expensive and some people say they work to pay for the childcare. And then it's up to the parents to decide. Also nowadays, housing is expensive here. You need a double income to get a good mortgage for a nice family house.

Downside: For some positions it is required to work full time, or at least 32 hours. If you work less, you have to increase your hours. Most of the parttime workers are women. If you work only a few hours a week, you are not the one getting promoted. Which results in less women in high up positions. There are campaigns to improve that, but it does go very slowly.

When it comes to national holidays, we have a lot less than for example France.
It's New Years Day, Easter, King's Day, Pentecost, Ascension, Christmas. So that's no holidays between May/June and December.

Why, thank you! :)

Here in NL it is considered bad time management when you stay arrive early/stay late, put in more hours than you get paid for (structurally). It means you or the company is doing something wrong. Either you are not efficient, or the company let's the work of 2 people to be done by one.
And recently, it's also seen as that you are not taking care of yourself. Work/Life balance is a huge thing here.
We Americans love the Dutch for sure. You guys helped John Paul Jones in the American Revolution. We never forget it. I do have an off topic question though, how much of a yearly salary goes to socialized medicine or is that based on taxes? Just curious if a Netherlands system would work here in the USA. :offtopic::thanks:

We Americans love the Dutch for sure. You guys helped John Paul Jones in the American Revolution. We never forget it. I do have an off topic question though, how much of a yearly salary goes to socialized medicine or is that based on taxes? Just curious if a Netherlands system would work here in the USA.
It's good that you remember, there isn't a Dutch person who knows who John Paul Jones is. ;) If the American Revolution is brought up in history classes it is probably something along the line: Slavery bad, the North won.
Or it's in connection with the Dutch bringing many slaves to the other side of the world :rolleyes1

Our health care system is based on that it's obligatory for everyone 18 years and older. The minimum is about 100 euro a month. We all put money in the jar and whoever needs help gets it (some exaggeration, here but let's not get lost in details). And if it would work for the US... let's not get into a politics in this political thread ;-)

Last edited:

It's good that you remember, there isn't a Dutch person who knows who John Paul Jones is. ;) If the American Revolution is brought up in history classes it is probably something along the line: Slavery bad, the North won.
Or it's in connection with the Dutch bringing many slaves to the other side of the world :rolleyes1

Our health care system is based on that it's obligatory for everyone 18 years and older. The minimum is about 100 euro a month. We all put money in the jar and whoever needs help gets it (some exaggeration, here but let's get lost in details). And if it would work for the US... let's not get into a politics in this political thread ;-)
Yeah, thanks. I was just curious. FYI, the A.R. is different from the C.W. by 100 years. As for JPJ, he became the father of the US Navy. There are songs and movies about him:
The Dutch would often repair his ships and helped get him an emergency USA naval flag for his ship so he would not be arrested. All to the annoyance of the British.:-)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serapis_flag

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks. I was just curious. FYI, the A.R. is different from the C.W. by 100 years. As for JPJ, he became the father of the US Navy.
The Dutch would often repair his ships and helped get him an emergency USA naval flag for his ship so he would not be arrested. All to the annoyance of the British.:-)

I can safely say that Dutch people will not know the difference between the American Revolution or the Civil War , either. Civil war might be discussed in history class, American Revolution very unlikely.
I should have known this...

Last edited:

I can safely say that Dutch people will not know the difference between the American Revolution or the Civil War , either. Civil war might be discussed in history class, American Revolution very unlikely.
I should have known this...
If you are interested in American history, I would recommend Liberty’s Kids on YouTube. The company that made the show uploaded the entire series for free. It’s used to teach children but adults find it cute and informative.

I was thinking that'd happen, but how serious will people be about it? I mean, are people serious about shopping at black owned businesses for Kwanza? Askin', not tellin'.

Honestly, I don't know a single black friend that celebrates Kwanzaa.

I think Juneteenth is more (and will be more) important to our black community than Kwanzaa. I believe it will be celebrated widely, especially now that it is a federal holiday.

No, it celebrates June 19th, 1865, which was the very year the war ended and June 19th was only a few months after the war ended. It was 2.5 years after Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation during the war.

June 19, 1865 was the day many Texas enslaved people learned that they were legally free.
You're right. I did know that, but mistyped. I appreciate your clarification of my statement. (and I'm not being snarky in any way, so don't read into it. I'm working really long hours and my brain isn't where it should be. :crazy:

It would've been nice for them to have done this ages ago instead of the typical pandering that goes on. This should've been a holiday for all of our lifetimes. I'll be honest though, I had never even heard that word until I opened this thread.

June 19th, 1865 marks the day that federal troops arrived in Galveston Texas to take control of the state and ensure that all slaves were actually freed. Texas was pretty much the last hold out.

I just wish it would be popularized as something other than "Juneteenth."

Thank you for and informative and respectful reply. It is appreciated.

It's such a shame that so many people took offence to my question. I only heard about this the other day and didn't know what the date was and I didn't take the time to look it up. Sorry I'm not as perfect as some on this thead...

It would've been nice for them to have done this ages ago instead of the typical pandering that goes on. This should've been a holiday for all of our lifetimes. I'll be honest though, I had never even heard that word until I opened this thread.
I can see where you might think it's pandering but this one seems more like 'about time' than anything. It's more of a no-win situation if you view it as pandering because it means whenever the decision was made to making it a holiday someone could say 'they are just pandering to the public' then you'd never have the day be formally recognized. I see it as we're at a point that we should have been at for a long time but we're just now getting there. Both a shame and a humbling thought all in one to me.

Thank you for and informative and respectful reply. It is appreciated.

It's such a shame that so many people took offence to my question. I only heard about this the other day and didn't know what the date was and I didn't take the time to look it up. Sorry I'm not as perfect as some on this thead...
People got upset because you called it a 'so-called' holiday. Not about being perfect, not about having not heard about it before. Not everyone has heard of the date, the meanings it has and more but few will approach it with a more 'is this a fluff holiday?' feeling.

You may have not meant anything by it perhaps thinking it was like some 'national donut day' or something like that but I can see how your wording would bring out responses especially because it was a Federal holiday created (which takes a lot to do so).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter