July 4th at Bay Lake Towers

Okay, so, TOTWL is in BLT, but it’s owned by DVD? If TOTWL was somehow damaged in a windstorm, who would pay for the repairs (I guess I assume there’s an insurance deductible)? Would it come out of BLT owners’ MF? Would Disney pay since they own it and can do what they want? I’m genuinely asking, but also, I feel like maybe “ownership” of the lounge is a bit of gray area due to BLT owners MFs.

They should employ you as a copy writer lol. You just missed off 'hand carved' from in there somewhere, maybe thee cheese.
Their copy can practically be done AI. They have adjectives they really love.

Okay, so, TOTWL is in BLT, but it’s owned by DVD? If TOTWL was somehow damaged in a windstorm, who would pay for the repairs (I guess I assume there’s an insurance deductible)? Would it come out of BLT owners’ MF? Would Disney pay since they own it and can do what they want? I’m genuinely asking, but also, I feel like maybe “ownership” of the lounge is a bit of gray area due to BLT owners MFs.
It really isn't a gray area at all it does dictate that the owner of the Commercial Unit is responsible for maintaining, repairing, and operating the Commercial Unit. However, the common expenses are still assessed to the owner of the commercial space (roofs, hallways, etc.) just like the residential units (though they have to pay also for the replacement of the inside the units since it is fractional ownership). So if it owned by the Commercial Unit then I would guess DVD is responsible for the repairs and carries appropriate insurance. If it is common elements damaged than the association takes care of it and all units share in cost. Ultimately the MF need to be thought of as two buckets common elements (hallways, roofs, doors, front desk, etc) and physical property of the unit (beds, bathrooms, etc); the residential units cover both buckets and are charged for both but the commercial unit only pays for the common elements.

Last edited:
Plus, even if you are paying for it/have ownership (which is not the case), that does not equate to access without limits on demand. Just like your ownership of BLT units is fractional and subject to reservation and availability.

I can understand why BLT owners are upset at the lack of communication.
Has anyone actually tried to fight the closures legally (in court) or tried to get an injunction to stop the closure? I am just curious.

Has anyone actually tried to fight the closures legally (in court) or tried to get an injunction to stop the closure? I am just curious.
Many, myself included, expressed disappointment to DVC for the little notice through writing. However, there is no legal battle to be had as DVD owns the lounge, and as any business owner may decide to close or limit the lounge's access as they see fit (obviously as long as they aren't limiting on a protected class in that jurisdiction). Unfortunately, DVC did always have language that access to the lounge can change without notice too.

One thing I have noticed, on Facebook groups in particular, is people saying DVD cannot be trusted and this is why you don’t buy for benefits. Ironically, this was a benefit open to non blue card holders.....
Anyway, it’s the impression this gives, the benefits are not worth squat, as they are being eroded for a quick buck.

It's not a matter of legality, it's a matter of customer care. If they had announced this 11 months before the date, no one would have complained. If they had announced this at least last December, people could have made different plans (like a restaurant reservation) or cancel their booking. Announcing it 3 weeks in advance is insulting. People had booked flights and couldn't cancel the reservation or points would go on holding. We expect more from Disney.

Last edited:
It's not a matter of legality, it's a matter of customer care. If they has announced this 11 months before the date, no one would have complained. If they had announced this at least last December, people could have made different plans (like a restaurant reservation) or cancel their booking. Announcing it 3 weeks in advance is insulting. People had booked flights and couldn't cancel the reservation or point would go on holding. We expect more from Disney.
Yes, we do expect better from Disney!

We are going for next 4th of july and will be staying at Poly -- I looked into the details of the event at BLT and honestly i could go and buy a $5 dole whip or splurge on a $12 adult drink, sit on the beach and still enjoy the fireworks. From what members pay to become members and to maintain their membership I don't agree that they are going for a money grab.

If not, I can watch the fireworks on the sky bridge between the contemporary and BLT if TOTWL is full on the 3rd. :)

IIRC, there are now frosted glass panels on parts of the sky bridge to discourage watching from there. Blech.

From a selfish perspective I am impacted, as I’m sure many others are, as I booked for New Year before any of this was announced, and I actually leave on 12/31 so 12/30 is my only choice. Will I even be able to get in? I booked because of this.

I'm in the same boat with Riviera - we have a reservation there but wonder whether we'll be able to watch FW from the roof deck there as well. Given it's so new, maybe our best chance is if something is allowed this year. :(

If there were complaints that TOTWL isn't making enough money, why not add a drink or food minimum purchase after a particular hour? (Or do they already do that?)

IIRC, there are now frosted glass panels on parts of the sky bridge to discourage watching from there. Blech.

WHAT?!? I did not know this! They weren't there in March IIRC, but that could've changed overnight. Those glass panels will not discourage me! Honestly, I think the glass panels would encourage me. We walked across that bridge many times, including once to get to V&A via monorail, when it was pouring down rain that was coming in sideways. I had to take off my heels and make a run for it in my very nice dress or risk getting soaked. It was an adventure for sure. Had we known it was so bad, we would've taken an Uber to VGF. :sad2:

Yes, we do expect better from Disney!

I guess I don't. Because my reaction to this whole fiasco was "well, yeah." But then I've been expecting them to turn it into private event space since they opened it - perhaps with the rental proceeds going to offset dues (but the food and drink bill - which will have a minimum attached to it with certainty - going straight into Disney's pockets). Seventy five people is a great size for a destination wedding reception.

In my email to Disney about the last minute change for TOTWL on the 4th I mentioned the fact that they are now taking from their members who did purchase direct and that that would sway me from ever purchasing direct as I'm a resale only contract holder. They sent me this:

"We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us, Michelle. The feedback we receive from our Members is very important to us as it lets us know what we are doing right and what we can do better. As we strive to improve the benefits and services we provide to our Members, we are constantly evaluating our operation. You may be assured your input will be taken seriously.

Please Note: Membership extras are not part of the Membership for direct purchase Members, therefore, subject to change.

We appreciate you letting us know how you feel about your Membership and also invite you to call us to discuss your vacation planning."

While I am fully aware of the fact that extras are not guaranteed I am surprised that DVC is making any kind of move to disrupt member extras for anyone who purchased direct as that is the only reason to pass up purchasing a much cheaper resale contract. Sad for all of the families that weren't made aware of the changes. Not very magical.

In my email to Disney about the last minute change for TOTWL on the 4th I mentioned the fact that they are now taking from their members who did purchase direct and that that would sway me from ever purchasing direct as I'm a resale only contract holder. They sent me this:

"We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us, Michelle. The feedback we receive from our Members is very important to us as it lets us know what we are doing right and what we can do better. As we strive to improve the benefits and services we provide to our Members, we are constantly evaluating our operation. You may be assured your input will be taken seriously.

Please Note: Membership extras are not part of the Membership for direct purchase Members, therefore, subject to change.

We appreciate you letting us know how you feel about your Membership and also invite you to call us to discuss your vacation planning."

While I am fully aware of the fact that extras are not guaranteed I am surprised that DVC is making any kind of move to disrupt member extras for anyone who purchased direct as that is the only reason to pass up purchasing a much cheaper resale contract. Sad for all of the families that weren't made aware of the changes. Not very magical.
Their response makes me think they are going to see how much they can take away before it impacts their sales.

I’d love to know how many direct buyers are first time buyers versus add-on buyers. I feel like new buyers may fall victim to the pressure to buy direct, but add-on buyers will be less likely to. They may actually end up hurting their direct sales if the majority of buyers are existing members who have seen what the added expense of buying direct gets you....or doesn’t get you.

My only qualm in this is with Disney making changes within the booking window. Sure, they’re legally allowed to do whatever, but that doesn’t mean it’s great customer service.

We were able to find a dining reservation we can leave with for the 31st. It’s not the dream but it’ll still be fun. I would have probably booked elsewhere and saved the points had all of this been better communicated though.

IIRC, there are now frosted glass panels on parts of the sky bridge to discourage watching from there. Blech....
I thought they were installed when the bridge was installed for protection from wind and rain.

I thought they were installed when the bridge was installed for protection from wind and rain.

Yes, they've been there for a long time I don't think it was immediate but people were slipping and falling because the rain would always blow in so they put them up.

If you look carefully, the areas where the glass is located are above driveways and walking paths. It's more likely they were installed to prevent dropped items from hitting people below.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter