July 4th at Bay Lake Towers

DDDoherty

Earning My Ears
Bought into Bay Lake years ago. The incentive was that owners could go to the top floor to watch the fireworks. We booked for this July 4th holiday 11 months out. When we arrived today, we discovered that tickets had to be purchased for $45 per person ahead of time to be allowed in the top floor viewing area. They were sold out. When we complained, we were told that the change was made 6 months ago and we should have checked the DVC site because everything is subject to change. No emails were sent to owners nor letters mailed explaining the change. Disney did not accept responsibility for making this change after so many had booked at the 11th month point. If I would have known about the change, I would have saved my points and booked at a more economical time of year at Disney. This is a bait and switch situation. I live in Florida so I didn’t have the plane fare costs. Other guests I spoke with are livid! I will contact the Better Business Bureau and the Florida Attorney General.

You should post this in the DVC section. They have been talking about this for several weeks.
Denise

You'll get laughed out of the BBB Office. I'd be mad as well, but there is no questionable business practices happening here.

You'll get laughed out of the BBB Office. I'd be mad as well, but there is no questionable business practices happening here.

The contract signed included owners being allowed to the viewing area. We paid in full for this DVC. Disney cannot come back and start charging again for services already paid for. Also, owners who booked 11 months out as suggested by Disney paid more in points for Magic season and most probably paid higher airfares since this is a holiday week. Disney claims to have made this decision 6 months ago after owners already booked, took time off from work, and booked their airfare. Encouraging owners to use their points during one of Disney’s more expensive seasons then taking away a contractual benefit of purchasing BLT is Bait and Switch. I have worked with the BBB in the past and have found them very helpful and professional. They care about the consumer.

The contract signed included owners being allowed to the viewing area. We paid in full for this DVC. Disney cannot come back and start charging again for services already paid for.

This is not a "service", this is a 'membership extras', and this is the excerpt from the Top of the World Lounge page regarding 'membership extras':

"Important Information about Membership Extras:

Membership Extras, such as vacation options in the Disney and Concierge Collections, certain discounts, offers, and special events are incidental benefits. These incidental benefits are subject to change or termination without notice, may require the payment of a fee and cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions. Membership Extras are also subject to availability and block-out dates may apply, including high periods of demand such as Christmas and New Year’s Day. To receive any Membership Extras, purchasers must present a valid Disney Vacation Club Membership Card along with a corresponding valid photo ID. Effective February 25, 2018, to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 75 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. Disney and Concierge Collections options are not available for ownership interests not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. after March 21, 2011, and, effective April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras."

You haven't purchased any of the resort features or dining areas - you've purchased into a certain number of points a year, that's all. The fact that you can only use the Top of the World Lounge if you're a DVC, does not mean you are entitled to the use of that space if there is a private or ticketed event happening.

I think the cost was $99 per person plus tax. They will be doing it again , closing it for a private member party on NYE.

I think the way the handled it for this 4th of July was horrible for those who booked so far in advance. I hope you get some satisfaction from the powers that be at DVC. I am not personally affected, I did e-mail and spoke to Member Satisfaction. I am going up today, on the third.

This is not a "service", this is a 'membership extras', and this is the excerpt from the Top of the World Lounge page regarding 'membership extras':

"Important Information about Membership Extras:

Membership Extras, such as vacation options in the Disney and Concierge Collections, certain discounts, offers, and special events are incidental benefits. These incidental benefits are subject to change or termination without notice, may require the payment of a fee and cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions. Membership Extras are also subject to availability and block-out dates may apply, including high periods of demand such as Christmas and New Year’s Day. To receive any Membership Extras, purchasers must present a valid Disney Vacation Club Membership Card along with a corresponding valid photo ID. Effective February 25, 2018, to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 75 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. Disney and Concierge Collections options are not available for ownership interests not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. after March 21, 2011, and, effective April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras."

You haven't purchased any of the resort features or dining areas - you've purchased into a certain number of points a year, that's all. The fact that you can only use the Top of the World Lounge if you're a DVC, does not mean you are entitled to the use of that space if there is a private or ticketed event happening.

This is not an extra perk. This was a service specific to the purchase of BLT. A membership perk would include all DVC owners across property. This service was promised to explain why the price to buy into BLT was higher than the price to buy into any other DVC resort At that time. Different category of service and sales agreement. Frankly, since I am the one volunteering to look further into this dispute to benefit myself and other BLT owners, I am surprised that some on this discussion board are trying to discourage my efforts. Disney will continue to play these kind of games as long people go along with it and won’t speak up.

This is not an extra perk. This was a service specific to the purchase of BLT. A membership perk would include all DVC owners across property. This service was promised to explain why the price to buy into BLT was higher than the price to buy into any other DVC resort At that time. Different category of service and sales agreement. Frankly, since I am the one volunteering to look further into this dispute to benefit myself and other BLT owners, I am surprised that some on this discussion board are trying to discourage my efforts. Disney will continue to play these kind of games as long people go along with it and won’t speak up.

The reason you're being discouraged is because your assertions are wrong. The users discouraging you know what their contract says and what it doesn't say. They've done the legwork for you already. DVC can do whatever they want with the lounge at any time without notice.

Also, Top of the World Lounge access IS a membership perk available to ALL DVC owners across property. They do usually restrict access to BLT owners for big holidays like the 4th, however they're not contractually obligated to do so.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't be unhappy about this situation. If I were you I'd be a little angry as well... but the most we can do is contact them directly to voice our displeasure.

You may want to read this thread; much discussion on this topic has taken place there, highlighting how TOTWL is setup in DVC (who owns it, etc), what the website said prior to the party announcement, etc.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/totw-closed-july-4th-for-paid-event.3754204/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter