Jen's on her way to pick up a baby girl!!

Is your goal to simply foster, or are you hoping to perhaps adopt as well?

I'm very happy that this little girl has a happy home this Christmas. :santa:

Our ultimate goal is to adopt. So we're on the list for that, but it can take quite a while to get an adoptive placement. So we figured that in the meantime, we could be doing something good with our time and giving a temporary home to kids who need one. If one of our foster placements becomes an adoptive one, then all the better!! :thumbsup2

:hug: Thanks for the link to this thread.

It's such a sad situation for everyone.

ChrizJen - I happened upon this link today and wanted to let you know how great it is that you can love this little girl. Happy Holidays and I hope everything works out for you and for her.

Oh I so admire what you are both doing for that baby. It takes a very special person to be a foster parent. We have friends that have 4 biological children of their own and foster. My daughter got so attatched to the last placement they had. And then one day he was just gone. That is the hardest part I think. One ruling and a child's placement can change.
:hug: Thank you for being there for this girl. And I am sure you will be there for many more.

OK, so I just got a call from Jen. She's finished at the court house, and she didn't have a whole lot of information, just enough to increase the amount of guilt that I'm feeling. *SIGH*
There is a relative who is being checked out, and if she checks out OK, then she'll go with her. We'll find out about that next week. The more I hear about this and about all of the people involved, the more I'm convinced that she's going to go back to her mom. We're still not 100% sure of all of the details, but it just seems that she is very much loved by her family. That they've just made some mistakes.
I'd like to say that I'm prepared to let her go, but I'm not 100%. :guilty:
It's going to be very difficult. But at least I can say that I feel in my heart that if her mother can do the things she needs to do to get her back, then she'll be in good, loving hands.

Well, I assumed folks were in this thread congratulatin' you 'n exchangin' stories, but today I see the above post. :sad1:

Lookin' to see an update as soon as you can, ChrizJen.

Well, we got a bit of good news yesterday at our case worker's weekly visit. Looks like we're going to have her for a while at least. :yay: The last of the prospective family placements fell through, so she'll definitely be with us for the duration of the case. So now we just wait and see what happens with the case.

It's been quite a trying week, both emotionally and physically. She's been sick, and we've been sick, and it's been difficult to say the least. I think she's starting to feel a little better, so hopefully things will get a little easier. She's definitely doing much better emotionally. I can see her getting more confident and trusting of us day by day. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the continued comments and support, guys! I'll try to continue the updates as we go.

Everyone have a safe and FUN New Year's Eve!! :dance3:

I'm glad to hear she's getting to stay put for the duration of the case and that she's getting used to you.

Have a good New Year's with her.

That is good news she gets to stay with you. The little sweetie, i just want to hug her! you are doing a great thing

Glad to hear she stays with you longer. I'm sure you're providing her with comfort and security she'll keep with her always.

wonderful to hear that she'll be with you for the duration -- the fact that *none* of the family placements would work is a sad indication of the birth family's situation. The state is very lenient when it comes to approving bio family members -- much more so than they are with you or me. If there had been any chance, they would have gotten her. Let's pray that the right thing continues to happen with this little girl. :angel:

It sounds like she's where she really needs to be for now - safe and sound with both of you taking care of her. I hope you're all feeling better soon. Thanks for the updates.

Good Morning all!
Things are going SO well! We're all feeling LOTS better, and we're really getting settled into a routine as a family. :cloud9: "Sugar Bear" (I call her this more often than I do her real name! :lmao: ) is doing GREAT! Still not sleeping all the way through the night, but we're getting there.

We got some bittersweet news yesterday. Her case worker had a looong heart to heart with Mom, and without going into too much detail, mom is 100% committed to doing whatever it takes to get her baby back. She knows that she messed up, and she's ready to take whatever steps necessary to get back on track. That was really great to hear given that we're convinced that she'll be going back to mom. I needed to hear that kind of news for my own peace of mind. Mom also told the worker that she's thankful for the care that we're giving her, and that she thinks we're good people. That makes me feel really good too.

So here's where the bitter comes in...I'm not sure how well I'm going to handle the day that she goes back. It's not going to be easy. That little girl is wrapped around my heart. I know I can do it because I have to. But I don't know how well I'll be able to handle it. I'll definitely need lots of support.

For now, we'll just keep on trucking and wait and see. We're going to enjoy every minute we have. :goodvibes

You do what you can for the time you are given. Thats all you can do. Just remember you are an adult and you understand and while it sucks, you have the coping skills she completely lacks. So you are nurturing her when she has absolutely no understanding.

Baby Esaie is leaving the 14th to go back to Africa :(...... He is so big now. He started walking last week!!! *sniff*

I dont know how you guys do it! :thumbsup2

Beth, any new pics?

The time spent with you will follow her throughout her life. You are giving her something she hasn't had until you opened your home and hearts to her. If it didn't hurt for you to give her up, then you wouldn't be the ones to do this 'work,' eh? :hug:

You do what you can for the time you are given. Thats all you can do. Just remember you are an adult and you understand and while it sucks, you have the coping skills she completely lacks. So you are nurturing her when she has absolutely no understanding.

Baby Esaie is leaving the 14th to go back to Africa :(...... He is so big now. He started walking last week!!! *sniff*

I do understand. I truly feel that it's in God's hands, and I'm just along for the ride. I'm not in any way saying that I won't be able to give her back. It will just be tough.
:hug: to you and your family. I remember when you announced Esaie's arrival! If I recall correctly, he was here for surgery? I didn't follow up on your story, and so I didn't get to hear how it went. Hopefully it went well! :thumbsup2
:grouphug: I'm sorry you'll be having to let him go. I know how quickly you can get attached! :lovestruc Hopefully you'll at leat have the benefit of knowing that he's going back to a loving family who misses him. :grouphug:

The time spent with you will follow her throughout her life. You are giving her something she hasn't had until you opened your home and hearts to her. If it didn't hurt for you to give her up, then you wouldn't be the ones to do this 'work,' eh? :hug:

Thanks for your kind words. The simple fact that she is happy, healthy, and safe while she is with us is what makes it possible for me to do this whole thing. It's a good feeling to know that I might be able to make just a tiny bit of difference in a child's life.

Thanks for your kind words. The simple fact that she is happy, healthy, and safe while she is with us is what makes it possible for me to do this whole thing. It's a good feeling to know that I might be able to make just a tiny bit of difference in a child's life.

:hug: Hugs for you and your DP for doing this wonderful thing:hug:

OK, it doesn't seem possible, but here we are, over a month into this Mommy thing!!
It's been a trying month, full of ups and downs, lots of sickness, some sleepless nights, and one trip to the ER (she had a double ear infection, Bronchiolitis, and needed breathing treatments :guilty: ). But she's slowly getting better and we're having lots of fun now too!

Let me give you as much of an update as I can:
About 2 weeks ago, call it intuition, call it what you want, but we were getting the strong feeling that DD's case worker was working harder for her bio mom than she was for DD. It was beginning to feel as though she was just ready to send her back to mom, just to have her off of her case load. It was frustrating. But the last straw was when she told us that there was a hearing coming up in February. She said that if they got a lenient enough judge, they may drop the whole case and send her back that day. Now I cannot go into detail obviously, but suffice it to say that there is NO WAY she should get this baby back without having to make some serious changes in her life first! Even since we've had her, we've seen mom cancel visitations, and even miss a family support team meeting because she "couldn't find a way to get there." :rolleyes:
This poor baby has been physically and emotionally abused, medically neglected, along with a host of other things. :sad1:
There is NO WAY on God's green earth that we're going to sit back and let a judge hand her back without a fight.

So we've begun doing our own footwork. We've come to the realization that there is NO ONE in the entire child protective services spectrum who will advocate for this little girl. Not her worker, not the judges, not even her guardian ad litem. If we don't fight for her rights, who will? So through a barrage of appointments, meetings and evaluations with therapists, pediatricians, and orthopaedic surgeons, we're slowly uncovering layer upon layer of evidence that indicates that the story goes much deeper than we had originally been told. So we took our findings to DD's case worker. And wouldn't you know, it was like a light bulb went off in her head! She seemed surprised that we were able to dig up all of the information that we did. She said that based on the information that we uncovered, it will definitely be her recommendation at the hearing that DD stay in protective custody (with us).

So if the judge agrees to this, he/she will make a plan of action for mom to follow in order to get back on track to get her baby back. I'm satisfied with that. I just wasn't ready to let mom off the hook that easily. She's got a lot to work on before she's ready to be a mom again. If she can make it through whatever program the judge orders and can prove that she's capable of being a good parent, then more power to her. I would be OK with that.

So anyway, we've been working tirelessly on making these things happen. Being a mom is like having a second full time job! Being a foster parent who is willing to fight and advocate for an innocent helpless child when no one else will? That's like having a THIRD full time job!! But it's worth it. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter