January 2019 -Everyone needs deadlines! Diet & Fitness monthly W.I.S.H chat

Woo Hoo! (or more like woohoo...) Yesterday was OK.

+ = did very little snacking (part of my strategy is eating 2-3 times a day so I keep insulin levels down), cleaned room, helped DD with a “project” for our June DW trip, finished FAFSA with DS (sigh), exercised a little in the evening.

- = spent most of the morning watching YouTube videos, what I ate was not “healthy food,” and I slept terribly. I couldn’t fall sleep.

I work in the marketing department of a college so I’ve had off since the week of Christmas. Getting back in the groove this morning is rough. Like, really rough...

yeah, if you eat a of high sugar things as I did last month cutting them off is pretty rough

Woohoo, lots of new people joining in this month!

Hi, I'm Lizanne, a single lady living in Seattle WA. I've been weight challenged all my life but it's really been out of control the past few years. I can't say that I attained any of my healthy living goals in 2018, but I didn't lose ground either, so there's that. I managed to drop seven pounds right before my mid-December trip to WDW, but put it back on when I got back.

To kick off 2019 on the right foot, I've joined the on-line Whole Life Challenge. I really like the way they have it structured... every day you earn points for making goals in seven categories: Nutrition, Mobilize, Hydrate, Exercise, Sleep, Well-being, and Reflect. Daily accountability is key for me, as I tend to drift and lose focus easily. I heard about it from a gal who did a massage for me last week, and it fits me very well. You can form teams or join existing teams, and I joined one for "middle aged women", and then realized the other members are primarily in the Seattle area. I'm really hoping I'll find someone(s) on the team who would like to meet up for walks/hikes, as I so want to spend more time out of doors but will not hike my myself (it's something my Dad drilled in to us growing up).

Goals for the year: healthy living, of which losing weight is key. With an average of -5 pounds per month I will be in a very good place at the end of the year. A couple other goals for the year - read a book per month, learn a new skill for work (take a class and/or get a certification) and visit at least two new states in my quest to visit all 50 (I did Alaska in 2018, which was #44) ... I'm even thinking this might be the year I do my road trip thru the Gulf States, where I can knock out four very easily.

My mantra for the year is: anything is possible, everything is possible. And my word for the year is: more.

upload_2019-1-2_10-12-45.png

Last edited:
Since I'm a teacher and today we go back to school, I figured today would be my official start to making this goal happen. I prepped last night for today. Woke up early and got a good workout in. Healthy meals are prepped and ready to go for today. And I'm already feeling more positive and energetic.

I work in the marketing department of a college so I’ve had off since the week of Christmas. Getting back in the groove this morning is rough. Like, really rough...
I've got the Disney trip to keep me motivated and I'm looking forward to making our Disney dining reservations this month!!

I hope your first day back was great! (digiMom, I'm so jealous of your trip planning!)

My big WOOHOO today is that the kids went back to school! (THANK YOU TEACHERS!!!) It was actually a pretty good morning, I think they were excited to see their friends again after all that time off. I made a to-do list and at least made an effort on each item, with some progress on some and crossing off others completely. And with the house nearly-quiet (H is still home all the time... grr...) I was able to get in some "me" time and finally color my hair, which was showing not only my roots, but a heck-of-a-lot of white from all the stress of the past month. (I got white hairs at 18 years old from the stress of basic training, so it's not my age, it's stress-- that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!)

Right now, however, I'm failing at that "go to bed on time" goal, so goodnight, everyone!!!

when @Zhoen goes to bed, it's time for me to get up! How did yesterday go? Anything you did great? Anything you need to change today?

Topic Thursday: If you have to pick only only habit you want to adopt this month, what would that be? Regardless of what else is going on, and how everything else go - are you committed to one habit that you plan to do daily, your absolute must
Walt-Disney-quotes-The-way-to-get-started-is-to-quit-talking-and-begin-doing.jpg

Yesterday was ok for me. I didn't create such big deficit but I got up very early, walk to the gym and workout. Came home, did a lot of work (worked from home) plus painting bedroom on my lunch break. We are preparing our home for sale and there is soooo much to do all the time! We should be ready to put it up by next wednesady

In terms of choosing one habit - not going over my calories this month. This is bit of a cheat, as in order to know I am not going over I need to consistently track. But if I do that, I will count it a win. I already walk about 14 000 steps each day for about 3 years so I am active enough! I can work on getting back to workouts later if I get on top of my tracking and going over my burn

Yesterday was a great day for me! While I definitely enjoy the time off during winter break to spend with my family, I tend to thrive on routine. So getting back in the swing of things yesterday felt good. And it's always good to get back and see my kindergartners after the holidays. They are so excited to come back and tell me everything :) So far today, I'm off to a good start. Workout is done. But I realized yesterday that its going to be hard for me to reach that 12,000 steps a day goal without fitting in more exercise time.

In terms of choosing one habit, I would have to say that logging everything on MyFitnessPal app is going to be my main focus. If I do that, then it will help me stay on track with my eating, water consumption and exercise.

Have a great day everyone!

NEW HABITS:

The new habit I am working on right now is stretching, which is part of the Mobilization category for the Challenge. I chose this to start with because it's never been a focus for me and the other categories have been. The Challenge doesn't officially start until the 19th, so right now I'm practicing and getting ready, but even just the little bit of stretching I've done the past few evenings is starting to make a difference and I'm starting to loosen up a bit.

The other category that really needs my attention is Nutrition, as my eating has been way off. As a starting point I'm re-establishing my green-drink-a-day habit. I've been contemplating doing another five day juice cleanse to re-set, but the last one was so emotionally rough that I'm not sure my co-workers can tolerate another one.... I'm not sure I can tolerate it either.

Happy Thursday everyone.

Today was kind of a bummer. People all around me have been sick and now I’m trying to fight it off. Scratchy throat and headache...

Short term goal is to get back to eating real food and cutting out the sugar and carbs, especially the processed stuff. My plan is to give myself a one hour window a day where I can eat them if I want. Then bring the level back down from there.

A fun goal I have is to get back into photography as a hobby. I’ve been using my phone or high level point and shoot for the simplicity. But I really miss the creativity of it. I got myself a new Canon M50 and adapter for ~$650 ($450 off). I took it to our local indoor botanical gardens, the Domes, and had an absolute blast. I’m hoping to get a wide, low light lens as a second lens and get some great photos and video on our DW trip....

I’m trying to get my eating back on track-and it hasn’t been easy! Every day has been a little better, so if I have things under control by the end of the month I will be ok with that.

I'm not sure it's a "habit," but for me, I need to really work on moderation. I tend to go all-in on things, and that is rarely the best/healthiest way. As I get older, I feel the ill-effects sooner, which is probably a good thing, because it means I correct myself sooner.

Today I gave myself a rest day, because whether it is the lowered calorie intake, the walks, or something else, I was just wiped out today, and I have a sore on my toe from one of my pairs of walking shoes (which are now in the trash!) I also pushed my eating toward the higher end of my calorie range, making sure to get some simple carbs in there for energy, and took a nap when I had the chance. The nap part was awesome, but eating "extra" calories just because I felt like I needed the energy was hard for me psychologically, so that's something I need to work on. My plan calls for a certain calorie range, and it's ok to go to the top of it. My plan calls for 180 minutes of exercise per week, and it's ok to do that 1 hour one day and none the next... I've done this before and I know it works and I know I can do it... it's just hard to be patient!

A fun goal I have is to get back into photography as a hobby. I’ve been using my phone or high level point and shoot for the simplicity. But I really miss the creativity of it. I got myself a new Canon M50 and adapter for ~$650 ($450 off). I took it to our local indoor botanical gardens, the Domes, and had an absolute blast. I’m hoping to get a wide, low light lens as a second lens and get some great photos and video on our DW trip....

That's awesome that you enjoy doing that! Do be sure to hit the Rapunzel area after dark when you go, the lanterns are so pretty!

4th day is apparently the trickiest day in every diet. I am feeling it. You are like - I have been eating healthy for 3 full days but no visible results. The initial enthusiasm is down. Big hungrier!

How do you get over the 4th day challange? Long weekend ahead, how do you plan to deal with

I have to go to work today finish off painting, change curtains, clean, de clutter. Estate agent is coming to take pictures middle of next week. I am feeling overwhelmed little how much I need to do and in the same time we plan to view houses...

We will see how it all works out.

I know I've mentioned it before... when doing a cleanse, the "kill all the things" phase starts to kick in around day four, with extreme moodiness and crankiness. I would imagine that even if the switch to "dieting" isn't that severe, you could also be facing similar emotional upheaval, and getting ready to sell your home and purchase a new one can be emotional as well. My plan is to do as little people-ing during that phase as possible and stay home if I can, so people don't have to deal with me.

Speaking of emotions, this has been a highly emotional week here at work: on Tuesday a notification came out that one of the Co-Presidents had suddenly passed away that morning. Last month he had announced he had lymphoma but was planning on continuing to work during the treatment (and was working just last week), so it all sounded pretty good then suddenly he's gone. This is a family run/owned business and he is highly respected in the company and the industry... and he was young at only 59. I've gone from shock/disbelief on Tuesday, to periods of weepiness yesterday, and today I'm finding the resolve to re-dedicate myself to his style of leadership, which is core to the company culture. Last night I was reading comments about him on the company Instagram account and it was really inspirational.

No big plans for the weekend, except that I think I will go to the Nordic Heritage Museum at some point. The Viaduct, an elevated road way that runs along the city waterfront, is closing in about a week and will be torn down: that's the route I would take to get to Ballard, where the museum is, so it will give me the opportunity to drive it one last time. Plus I haven't gone since the new museum opened, so it will be a fun thing to do.

Hope all have a happy and healthful weekend.

Getting over a rotten cold, so no big plans for the weekend other than packing away the last of Christmas-I am behind since I was down for the count earlier this week.

What helps me to get past the first few days is to remind myself that healthy eating isn’t all salad and chicken breasts-I like to eat (and to cook) so I fix things that I truly enjoy. We love seafood-shrimp, salmon-we eat beef once every two weeks at the most, so I buy filet mignon. That sounds so extravagant, but two small steaks I prepare at home still costs less than one dinner at a chain restaurant. And I can have a glass of wine if I want it.
A dish of warm,homemade applesauce is a treat! Eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring. I also don’t keep “trigger” foods in the house. No one in my family needs or misses them. For example, I make popcorn for watching football games and always have a bag of small dark chocolate pieces in the freezer for dessert. My grandson is perfectly happy with that, so I can’t use him as an excuse for keeping junk food in the house!
We had our special treats over the holidays, but they’re gone now.

When I was trying to lose weight, I reminded myself I was in it for the long haul-and if I lost 1lb instead of 2lbs that week because I ate lunch out with friends, that’s ok!

I have been getting by by eating more toward the middle of my calorie range, having a plain salad lunch so that I can have a "naughty cravings" breakfast, and trying to keep busy. My other thread I'm active on right now is a decluttering challenge, and that gave me plenty to do today to help keep my mind off the munchies.

The forecast for tomorrow is pretty rainy, so I'm not sure if I'll get out to exercise or not, but I have plans in the morning, and then the rest of the weekend I'm going to do my best to get through a crochet project, but the yarn is super-hideously-crazy-thin, so it is taking For.ev.er. At least my fingers and wrists are working out!

I
Speaking of emotions, this has been a highly emotional week here at work: on Tuesday a notification came out that one of the Co-Presidents had suddenly passed away that morning. Last night I was reading comments about him on the company Instagram account and it was really inspirational.

@Oneanne I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like he lead a life to inspire others
Enjoy your weekend

Getting over a rotten cold, so no big plans for the weekend other than packing away the last of Christmas-I am behind since I was down for the count earlier this week.

What helps me to get past the first few days is to remind myself that healthy eating isn’t all salad and chicken breasts-I like to eat (and to cook) so I fix things that I truly enjoy. We love seafood-shrimp, salmon-we eat beef once every two weeks at the most, so I buy filet mignon. That sounds so extravagant, but two small steaks I prepare at home still costs less than one dinner at a chain restaurant. And I can have a glass of wine if I want it.
A dish of warm,homemade applesauce is a treat! Eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring. I also don’t keep “trigger” foods in the house. No one in my family needs or misses them. For example, I make popcorn for watching football games and always have a bag of small dark chocolate pieces in the freezer for dessert. My grandson is perfectly happy with that, so I can’t use him as an excuse for keeping junk food in the house!
We had our special treats over the holidays, but they’re gone now.

When I was trying to lose weight, I reminded myself I was in it for the long haul-and if I lost 1lb instead of 2lbs that week because I ate lunch out with friends, that’s ok!

Love this post, and so true!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter