I've Been Vaccinated (No Politics Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so technically not me but big kids got his vaccine today 19, so relieved , and so discouraged at the same time at the backlash he’s gotten from my friends and his friends parents with all the “ how did you get it and “ well ive been waiting “ ( replace Ive with my mom dad sister aunt cousin etc )

No one knows others health history or family structure . People need to remember to be kind .

Depending on where you live, vaccinations are difficult to come by, so I do see how others may feel frustrated by this. It’s human nature. Yes people need to be kind, but I also think, depending on the circumstances, it’s sometimes better to keep the fact that you got vaccinated on the downlow.

I know young people who have gotten vaccines. I’m happy for them! :)
But I also know of older people who are still waiting for appointments.
It can be a sensitive thing.

Depending on where you live, vaccinations are difficult to come by, so I do see how others may feel frustrated by this. It’s human nature. Yes people need to be kind, but I also think, depending on the circumstances, it’s sometimes better to keep the fact that you got vaccinated on the downlow.

I know young people who have gotten vaccines. I’m happy for them! :)
But I also know of older people who are still waiting for appointments.
It can be a sensitive thing.

While I agree I also think since there’s so much vax hesitancy , I’d rather deal with the haters and hopefully have one other person .. say oh wow look he did he’s ok .. or his mom is a nurse and he did or or ..
and totally agree about human nature . I felt the same working in health care and not being vaxxed

Ok so technically not me but big kids got his vaccine today 19, so relieved , and so discouraged at the same time at the backlash he’s gotten from my friends and his friends parents with all the “ how did you get it and “ well ive been waiting “ ( replace Ive with my mom dad sister aunt cousin etc )

No one knows others health history or family structure . People need to remember to be kind .

My daughter mentioned that all her friends and their families have gotten the vaccine. I was surprised since her friends are 16 and 17 yr olds. She was envious because she wanted to be able to see them when everyone has gotten their second dose and this would mean she would be one of the last to be able to join her friends.

But she knew and understood that they or their family member has a health condition or perhaps they are an essential worker which meant they were eligible.

If a 16 yr old who is desperate to hang out with her friends again can understand this, I would hope that an adult would be empathetic to why some people are getting it earlier. I just think hearing a lot of desperation from some people makes others anxious about not getting it yet.

Last edited:

Thought I’d share a little something I learned last night about booking vaccination appointments. My DD lives in a postal code hotspot that has been overwhelmed by the numbers of people wanting their first shot. Last night I was right on the website and refreshing when it went live at 9pm... The site didn’t even stand a chance against the demand, the server went down as it booted up & stayed down for over an hour.

My 18 minute wait in the queue was actually 50 minutes & as you would expect - not a single appointment to be had at any of the six sites available to book at 🙁

In re-reading the page I noted that bookings were being taken for up to 10 days out. ding, ding, ding... a 💡 Lightbulb went off! Bookings had been for up to & including May 10th... so at the stroke of midnight I logged back on and sure enough... May 3rd had fallen off and voila! May 11 was now bookable 😷🧐🙂

Within 5 minutes I had booked and confirmed appointments for my DD, Son in law and my grandson for May 11/21!! By the time I was done... they were down to only 2 time slots left totaling 3 appointments...

Thought I’d share a little something I learned last night about booking vaccination appointments. My DD lives in a postal code hotspot that has been overwhelmed by the numbers of people wanting their first shot. Last night I was right on the website and refreshing when it went live at 9pm... The site didn’t even stand a chance against the demand, the server went down as it booted up & stayed down for over an hour.

My 18 minute wait in the queue was actually 50 minutes & as you would expect - not a single appointment to be had at any of the six sites available to book at 🙁

In re-reading the page I noted that bookings were being taken for up to 10 days out. ding, ding, ding... a 💡 Lightbulb went off! Bookings had been for up to & including May 10th... so at the stroke of midnight I logged back on and sure enough... May 3rd had fallen off and voila! May 11 was now bookable 😷🧐🙂

Within 5 minutes I had booked and confirmed appointments for my DD, Son in law and my grandson for May 11/21!! By the time I was done... they were down to only 2 time slots left totaling 3 appointments...

Most of the time, I feel like there’s no rhyme or reason as to when new appointment dates drop. I’ve been helping various friends and family secure appointments this past month so I often check at midnight on various sights because I’m up. I’ve never seen appointments become available at midnight. Maybe it’s something new? Or just a one off thing? But glad you got those appts. booked!:thumbsup2 And definitely worth looking into.

Most of the time, I feel like there’s no rhyme or reason as to when new appointment dates drop. I’ve been helping various friends and family secure appointments this past month so I often check at midnight on various sights because I’m up. I’ve never seen appointments become available at midnight. Maybe it’s something new? Or just a one off thing? But glad you got those appts. booked!:thumbsup2 And definitely worth looking into.

You & I are neighbors as I recall.. same region a few miles apart.

This link (provided by a friend) proved invaluable for actually getting to the booking page directly..!there was still a queue.. but it moved well

https://durhamregion.vertoengage.co...tMNKt-FIreFtFOyfxvrgX7MTwm8Q0uSoYcNe2BkRtDO3W
FWIW... Dunbarton pop up for hotspot bookings and McKinney in Whitby had a ton of availability for the next 14!days when I checked at 11am 😊

and...

https://durhamregion.vertoengage.co...HfJMntAINB1BWy3B7VjrJcqcCqI6pCw-RE9BYEuKwuxFq

Last edited:
Seriously could Dr Tam be anymore evasive in answering a simple question???????
They will get back to people who had the first shot of AZ before they are due to get the second one as to whether AZ can be mixed with the other vaccines.

She did say based on further data collection the recommendations may change. (evolving science).

Oh Boy as Mickey would say.
Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
Seriously could Dr Tam be anymore evasive in answering a simple question???????
They will get back to people who had the first shot of AZ before they are due to get the second one as to whether AZ can be mixed with the other vaccines.

She did say based on further data collection the recommendations may change. (evolving science).

Oh Boy as Mickey would say.
Hugs
Mel

As someone who got their first dose with AZ, I am personally hoping that the study being done IIRC the UK will turn out that mixing is not only ok but is actually a good idea and that then that is what will be recommended. The results apparently will be out within a few weeks.

I know I made the right decision to get AZ. But if I am honest there is also some regret. This Thursday I would have become eligible for Pfizer, but of course can't get it since I have already had dose one of AZ -- and when I got AZ it was looking like Pfizer eligibility wouldn't be until late May. So right decision at two weeks ago, but still, there is that doubt.

SW

As someone who got their first dose with AZ, I am personally hoping that the study being done IIRC the UK will turn out that mixing is not only ok but is actually a good idea and that then that is what will be recommended. The results apparently will be out within a few weeks.

I know I made the right decision to get AZ. But if I am honest there is also some regret. This Thursday I would have become eligible for Pfizer, but of course can't get it since I have already had dose one of AZ -- and when I got AZ it was looking like Pfizer eligibility wouldn't be until late May. So right decision at two weeks ago, but still, there is that doubt.

SW

I can understand this, no regrets getting AZ at all. Hoping for a second dose of whatever, as soon as it's possible. A few scientist have said they think mixing could be a good thing, but that UK study will be nice to see the results of. I am still a ways away from Pfizer eligibility, so feel good about AZ, coming up on 2 weeks and I think 3 weeks after the first dose is a good immunity response for that vaccine.

Has anyone else experienced a bump at the injection site for what seems like a long time? I got my AZ shot 2 weeks ago today and still have a lump. I'm just wondering if I'm alone in this.

You & I are neighbors as I recall.. same region a few miles apart.

This link (provided by a friend) proved invaluable for actually getting to the booking page directly..!there was still a queue.. but it moved well

https://durhamregion.vertoengage.co...tMNKt-FIreFtFOyfxvrgX7MTwm8Q0uSoYcNe2BkRtDO3W
FWIW... Dunbarton pop up for hotspot bookings and McKinney in Whitby had a ton of availability for the next 14!days when I checked at 11am 😊

and...

https://durhamregion.vertoengage.co...HfJMntAINB1BWy3B7VjrJcqcCqI6pCw-RE9BYEuKwuxFq
Yes! We are neighbours. :wave:

My son got his vaccine last week in Ajax, so everyone in my household, except my youngest teen, has had their first shot.
But man, checking for appointments has become a bit of an obsession. I will stop now. I must stop now. Lol.

Yes! We are neighbours. :wave:

My son got his vaccine last week in Ajax, so everyone in my household, except my youngest teen, has had their first shot.
But man, checking for appointments has become a bit of an obsession. I will stop now. I must stop now. Lol.

Is it hard getting appointments? Here in Quebec it is honestly easy, and tons of available spots. We opened up as of 40 today. We all have our first dose, but as I am finishing up my last week at the vaccination clinic I can see it picking up as the ages are lowering. I go online just to nosey lol

SW

You made the right decision! I hate to be pessimistic. You could have caught COVID while waiting and delaying your vaccine for even a few weeks. You could have been on ventilator if you did not go for the first available shot. So there should not be any regret. 2 weeks is a long time. There should be no doubt.

It is like saying, let us wait for a better armor in a battle field... the flaw with logic is that it may be too late when a "better" armor arrives. Also, there is always going to be a better vaccine in the future, next year, next 5 years, next 10 years... when should the wait stop? Who knows? We might even need to have annual COVID booster vaccines in the future just like annual flu shots.

Is it hard getting appointments? Here in Quebec it is honestly easy, and tons of available spots. We opened up as of 40 today. We all have our first dose, but as I am finishing up my last week at the vaccination clinic I can see it picking up as the ages are lowering. I go online just to nosey lol
hard doesn't come anywhere close to what we're dealing with in ontario! There are far too many websites to use even though we have a provincial booking site that's not what most people are actually using. If you're in my health unit and you're over 16 you can pre-register but that really means nothing. OR if you're over 40 you can get the AZ at several pharmacies BUT you need to sign up on each website to get a chance to book an appointment OR if you're lucky you can walk in at the right time and get jabbed. Some areas that have been designated as hot spots have pop-up clinics and they all have different ways for getting appointments as well Some are using the provincial website others have a separate one yet again.

we're hearing about people driving hours to other health units to get shots, there are Facebook groups that help people locate pharmacies with available appointment times, some of us had no problem (I only managed because I read here that the age had dropped to 55, we got in 3 weeks ago) but others are still frantically searching, websites are getting bogged down, call centres are over run, there's conflicting information. This is a humourous but very accurate description!

the Amazing Vaccine Race Canada

hard doesn't come anywhere close to what we're dealing with in ontario! There are far too many websites to use even though we have a provincial booking site that's not what most people are actually using. If you're in my health unit and you're over 16 you can pre-register but that really means nothing. OR if you're over 40 you can get the AZ at several pharmacies BUT you need to sign up on each website to get a chance to book an appointment OR if you're lucky you can walk in at the right time and get jabbed. Some areas that have been designated as hot spots have pop-up clinics and they all have different ways for getting appointments as well Some are using the provincial website others have a separate one yet again.

we're hearing about people driving hours to other health units to get shots, there are Facebook groups that help people locate pharmacies with available appointment times, some of us had no problem (I only managed because I read here that the age had dropped to 55, we got in 3 weeks ago) but others are still frantically searching, websites are getting bogged down, call centres are over run, there's conflicting information. This is a humourous but very accurate description!

the Amazing Vaccine Race Canada

i’ve heard stories from friends in hot spots. it’s heartbreaking. waiting in the cold for hours, sometimes overnight, for a chance at far too few vaccines. in AB it’s just as chaotic to book, but availability is very different. i’ve been on the sites for a bunch of pharmacies searching, and i’ve had no problem finding spots in different regions and with little notice (within the week).

it’s sad in a different way...there are definitely lots of people waiting to be eligible, but there is also hesitancy (and worse).

with supply climbing fast, i hope it means that all the wild hunting becomes a thing of the past soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter