It's Magical! A 10yr Anniv Dining Report with Extras! Updated 9/4!!!

Loving the report. Have been following for quite awhile. Just a heads up on the Boardwalk and the sign. Two years ago dd's friend that travels with us was walking along at a normal pace, not screwing around as we were walking to EPCOT. In a split second her she was on the ground. Laughing of course and to top it off Cat Cora was greeting people outside and she busted out laughing. We stay every year at the Boardwalk and it does get slick lol!:rotfl2:

First, no we did not get an ADR for California Grill. We did have Flying Fish, but we ended up cancelling that one (Mark lost his job two months ago and we cut out our more expensive meals).

Mark LOVES that Scotch Egg and we are going back to Rose & Crown so he can have it again.

I'm sorry lunch wasn't up to par at Chefs; we've eaten there a couple of times and loved it; however, in June on the girls trip, service was really, really bad.

I can't wait to hear your version of Flying Fish.

So glad to have another installment. Hope your work and life style down some.

How early was your Scotch egg"breakfast?"₩ Mike wants to grab something quick before a wine seminar at noon and the Epcot breakfast options don't appeal to him. Always wanted to try one of those. Just not sure if we would make it to the vino in time.

To bad you had a blah day with blah weather and blah food.

Great update
Love the Hunter Hat pictures :-)
Looking forward to hearing your FF review, I have a sneaky feeling that the bread service will play a big part in it!

All caught up! Sounds like you made the best of a yucky weather day with your ESPNZone stop :thumbsup2 We will be in WDW 9/27-10/5!!!

Welcome back!!!!

Sorry to hear chefs wasn't all that. We haven't done it in years largely because we don't ever recall being wowed. But "wow" that crepe looks like parchment paper. I think most French would be offended by even calling it a crepe.

ESPN looks like it made up for some of the days downfalls. Though I gotta aka, what is a grape bomb? It's a rarity that I don't know a drink.

Great update Paula! Les Chefs was kind of a miss for us last time too. Nothing was especially bad, but nothing was especially good either. Oh well, at least you had good company along with complimentary drinks and desserts. :thumbsup2

Great rain pics!

What is a "grape bomb"? Inquiring minds want to know. :rolleyes:

Seems to be the story for Les Chefs...

Grape Bombs are a shot of Grape Vodka dropped into a glass with Red Bull (or Monster). Here they mixed them together to serve.

Your dining report is great! :goodvibes

I also have had a poor dining experience at Chefs...I probably won't be going back anytime soon.

Also what is a grape bomb?

Sorry you had a poor experience!

Grape Bombs are a shot of Grape Vodka dropped into a glass with Red Bull (or Monster). Here they mixed them together to serve.

I cracked up when I saw your picture of the sign on the Boardwalk DURING the rain...because DH and I took a picture together, while wearing our ponchos in the pouring rain, and both of us were pointing at the sign. Talk about avoiding a lawsuit...because you know there's some moron (excuse my language) who would slip because of running or horsing around on the boardwalk and if that sign wasn't there, they would surely sue Disney for not putting a sign! DH, the boys and I cracked up every time it was raining and we walked by one of those signs. :)

We liked lunch at Les Chefs when we were there last month, but we ordered different things than you did. I've had the quiche there before though, and although it tasted good, I agree it was nothing spectacular compared to other food I've eaten there. Last month, we all shared the flatbread with bacon and onion which DH and I loved (the boys didn't like it...more for us!), and DH and I each had the Croque Monsieur which was fantastic. I also love their baguette that they bring to the table. I've never gotten dessert there. We usually get something for dessert elsewhere in the WS. This time we fell in love with dessert from the ice cream place in France. We can't say enough good things about that ice cream! :)

Enjoying your dining report, and hoping all is well since you've been so busy and have so much going on.

I've heard that flatbread is really good... maybe sometime I will try it!

The baguette is definitely good there!

Loving the report. Have bee following for quite awhile. Just a heads up on the. Boardwalk and the sign. Two years ago dd's friend that travels with us was walking along at a normal pace, not screwing around as we were walking to EPCOT. In a split second her she was on the ground. Laughing of course and to top it off Cat Cora was greeting people outside and she busted out laughing. We stay every year at the Boardwalk and it does get slick lol!:rotfl2:

It's not just at the boarrdwalk that we saw Wet Floor signs.. it was everywhere!! And its not just WDW. DL does it too! I was there with a large group and a number were from Seattle... They laughed saying the city would need them out all the time up there!

First, no we did not get an ADR for California Grill. We did have Flying Fish, but we ended up cancelling that one (Mark lost his job two months ago and we cut out our more expensive meals).

Mark LOVES that Scotch Egg and we are going back to Rose & Crown so he can have it again.

I'm sorry lunch wasn't up to par at Chefs; we've eaten there a couple of times and loved it; however, in June on the girls trip, service was really, really bad.

I can't wait to hear your version of Flying Fish.

I understand having to cut the more expensive meals! We have dwindled our signature list down quite a bit but then we have some expensive F&W events to make up for it!

FF review is coming up...

So glad to have another installment. Hope your work and life style down some.

How early was your Scotch egg"breakfast?"₩ Mike wants to grab something quick before a wine seminar at noon and the Epcot breakfast options don't appeal to him. Always wanted to try one of those. Just not sure if we would make it to the vino in time.

To bad you had a blah day with blah weather and blah food.

I've actually had quite a bit of time off the last few weeks.. Just stuff going on at home and then I keep tweaking our plans for our next trip! I need to stop doing that!

I honestly don't remember what time the Scotch Egg was... probably not early enough to get one before the noon seminar... I'm having trouble with that for October!

Great update
Love the Hunter Hat pictures :-)
Looking forward to hearing your FF review, I have a sneaky feeling that the bread service will play a big part in it!

Yes it was fun to take the hat pics!

And yes.. as sad as it is bread is a big part of the review.

All caught up! Sounds like you made the best of a yucky weather day with your ESPNZone stop :thumbsup2 We will be in WDW 9/27-10/5!!!

It was a fun afternoon at ESPN Zone. Loved the time catching up with Beth and was a good time with all!

Welcome back!!!!

Sorry to hear chefs wasn't all that. We haven't done it in years largely because we don't ever recall being wowed. But "wow" that crepe looks like parchment paper. I think most French would be offended by even calling it a crepe.

ESPN looks like it made up for some of the days downfalls. Though I gotta aka, what is a grape bomb? It's a rarity that I don't know a drink.

Thank You! Hopefully I will be a little more on track! Yes, its not like any crepe I had ever seen before!

Alright… I’ve procrastinated on this review long enough!! Lets get this one done!

Flying Fish Review for May 2, 2014.

We arrived to the restaurant a bit early having only to go from the ESPN zone to here. Soon all but Beth had arrived and we were seated at a round table in the main dining area.

Those of us wearing celebratory buttons were presented with special menus (the items inside were all the same!)
ry%3D400

The hostess was confused when she had an extra since Hunter had both an Anniversary and a Birthday button on.

Hunter was confused to not sure which he should choose from!
ry%3D400

And mine
ry%3D400

The innards
ry%3D400

The Cheese menu
ry%3D400

Further cheese details
ry%3D400

So at this time Beth was still not present but the server kept coming over to see if we were ready to order. I kept saying can we have just a few more minutes we are waiting to see if the last person is on her way. However others at the table had started ordering so when I asked for more time I think the server was confused as everything that had been ordered as apps soon came out to the table.

This included the cheese plate that Hunter ordered 2 of to share with everyone.
ry%3D400

About this time we had all given the complimentary bread a try. I had took a bite of it and deemed it rather bland so had put it down figuring we had plenty of other food to eat. However someone else spoke up and asked if the bread had any flavor. I said no, it’s very blah! Too which Hunter took a bite and said it is missing salt! We brought this to the attention of the server when he came around to see if we were ready to order our entrées. We replied we weren’t quite ready as Beth had just arrived and we were just getting all situated but mentioned to him that the bread was rather tasteless. The server seemed to take this as an assault on him coming back with another basket of bread and placing it near Hunter and saying “I’m going to leave you in charge of the boring bread” For one thing it was bread. We were simply letting him know that they might need some QC on it and not that we actually needed more.

This then escalated to the fact that when the Chef talked to Hunter about his seafood allergies and what was available to him he sent out some premium (I think it was) Vermont Butter with Black sea salt. Now this did add considerably to the bread but at this point I was done with the bread. Once we were done working with the bread and the appetizers and after having been bothered to place our entrée orders every few minutes through this we finally placed our orders but because Hunter felt the server wasn’t listening to what he was saying and that he didn’t want to take any chances with his allergy he asked the Chef to come back out to take his order to make sure everything would be okay.

Here is the second basket of bread which was identical to the first.
ry%3D400

We were also presented the beautiful platter of prosciutto and melon. Simply marvelous!
ry%3D400

Sometime around here Beth got up to speak to the manager as this server was just giving us nothing but attitude and impatience. Due to this our server was switched out and our new server was much better providing the service when we needed it but letting us enjoy our meal in peace in between.

Our entrée’s arrived and Hunter and I had chosen to split the steak
ry%3D400

I thought the steak was very well seasoned and cooked perfect.

For dessert Hunter got something very chocolaty but I was too full to have any!
ry%3D400

So.. To put it mildly the event of this night are still confusing to me. I am not sure how letting the server know about the bread needing salt turned into a snowball of bad service with complimentary prosciutto and melon and then a server switch to the entire meal being free. Yes, the whole entire meal for 6 of us was taken care of by management because of the horrible start to our meal. We did not feel that the entire meal needed compensation and in fact argued over that but were told it was already taken care of. We did tip the second server for his service to us that night based on as much as we could tell the meal would have cost.

The food was really good outside of the bread but the service ruined it for Hunter and I. We won’t be returning on our upcoming trip despite the chef, management and the new server doing everything in their power to make it right.

Brenda however has returned there and she said that they have indeed added salt to the bread and it was no longer tasteless!

After the evening at Flying Fish we planned to head to Jellyrolls. I had heard fabulous things about this place and we really enjoy Dueling Piano’s so we thought it was a perfect fit for us!

Unfortunately the acoustics are not that great in there or the performers weren’t that great but from our table in the back we couldn’t even understand what they were saying or singing. We put in our requests for a few songs with some tip money and none of them were ever played. I thought I had taken a few pictures here but I guess I failed on that! So combined with not hearing the songs and the cover charge and the high price of drinks ($50 for 3 drinks and a soda with tip) we won’t be returning here either. As I had mentioned earlier this was just not a good day for us!!

In good news all the rest of our meals get much better!!

Up Next: 50's Prime Time!

Having read Barb and Brenda's reviews I still can't get over the horrible service you all received. But also that they comped the meal, they must have recognized you from the dis ; ). We've always loved flying fish, bit have never received outstanding service. But the food has made up for that. Glad to hear things get better and hopefully there is lots of salted bread ; ) what a concept that would be

I read Brenda's review and knew the service was bad, but this was just out right horrible. I don't think I read about the new server. One day we will try it, but I'm in no hurry after this.

Hunter's dessert does look marvelous though.

$50 for three drinks and a soda at Jellyrolls? I think we will take that off the list for now too.

A very confusing dinner to be sure. The server's attitude is very puzzling, why he felt the need to defend the bread is beyond me as I'm quite sure he didn't bake it, lol. It was great of management to step up and take care of things but a bit bizarre that they comped the whole meal. Great for you guys though! :thumbsup2

Indeed our return visit to FF last month was completely different! I loved the food the first time - except the bread of course. It was definitely an odd experience with the service issues that night.

We didn't stay as long as you guys at Jellyrolls but I think we stayed longer than if we had gone by ourselves. :laughing: It just wasn't Michael's thing. Did they serve popcorn or am I imagining that?

So sorry you had crappy service filled with attitude! I always ask for Rogerio and have been lucky enough to get him the last 3 times. He made such a huge fuss over my mother's 80th birthday a few years ago. Although I've honestly never received poor service there but Rogerio kicks it up a notch or two!

I'm not really a fan of the bread from any of the restaurants (except for V&A's spring herb brioche; that was heavenly). I would rather save room for dessert! :love:

I'm sorry to hear about the service you received at Flying Fish. I'm also glad that you hadn't posted this review before our July trip, when we tried FF for the first time. I would have been really worried for sure. When we went in late July, the service was excellent, some of the best we had the entire trip. And we were there for 10 nights and ate at 20 or so TS restaurants, including some signatures besides FF. DH and I said it was our new favorite signature restaurant between the food and the service, but the service was what put it over the top because we thought the food at Jiko was just as good as FF. The attention the waiter at FF gave to my sons was priceless...all of us really enjoyed that dinner.

Having read Barb and Brenda's reviews I still can't get over the horrible service you all received. But also that they comped the meal, they must have recognized you from the dis ; ). We've always loved flying fish, bit have never received outstanding service. But the food has made up for that. Glad to hear things get better and hopefully there is lots of salted bread ; ) what a concept that would be

I am still baffled by the whole thing. Even if the service had been mediocre I think we would contemplate going back but its just hard, especially when there are plenty of other places to eat at Disney!

I read Brenda's review and knew the service was bad, but this was just out right horrible. I don't think I read about the new server. One day we will try it, but I'm in no hurry after this.

Hunter's dessert does look marvelous though.

$50 for three drinks and a soda at Jellyrolls? I think we will take that off the list for now too.

The food was good but with suck poor service it just killed it for us.

Yes, plus $12 each on a cover charge just to get in the door at Jellyrolls!

A very confusing dinner to be sure. The server's attitude is very puzzling, why he felt the need to defend the bread is beyond me as I'm quite sure he didn't bake it, lol. It was great of management to step up and take care of things but a bit bizarre that they comped the whole meal. Great for you guys though! :thumbsup2

Ha-Ha... that was exactly what we said.. It's not like he baked it!
Yes, floored on the comped meal!

Indeed our return visit to FF last month was completely different! I loved the food the first time - except the bread of course. It was definitely an odd experience with the service issues that night.

We didn't stay as long as you guys at Jellyrolls but I think we stayed longer than if we had gone by ourselves. :laughing: It just wasn't Michael's thing. Did they serve popcorn or am I imagining that?

Yes, popcorn was at Jellyrolls... If you like oversalted popcorn so that you drink more?!?

So sorry you had crappy service filled with attitude! I always ask for Rogerio and have been lucky enough to get him the last 3 times. He made such a huge fuss over my mother's 80th birthday a few years ago. Although I've honestly never received poor service there but Rogerio kicks it up a notch or two!

I'm not really a fan of the bread from any of the restaurants (except for V&A's spring herb brioche; that was heavenly). I would rather save room for dessert! :love:

I'm a carb person so it take a lot for a bread to disappoint me. I was fine just letting it go but the server is the one that kept making it worse. so weird.

I'm sorry to hear about the service you received at Flying Fish. I'm also glad that you hadn't posted this review before our July trip, when we tried FF for the first time. I would have been really worried for sure. When we went in late July, the service was excellent, some of the best we had the entire trip. And we were there for 10 nights and ate at 20 or so TS restaurants, including some signatures besides FF. DH and I said it was our new favorite signature restaurant between the food and the service, but the service was what put it over the top because we thought the food at Jiko was just as good as FF. The attention the waiter at FF gave to my sons was priceless...all of us really enjoyed that dinner.

I'm very happy to hear that you had an enjoyable meal and service! I don't want to discourage anyone from giving it a try. The food was delicious! We just had bad luck with our server that night.

Such a weird story indeed. Glad to hear your dining gets better! :)

:cool1:

May 3rd began as another rainy day at the World. This day we were heading to DHS and had a FP+ at Rock n Roller Coaster. I had scheduled it for the same time as Brenda’s and Michaels assuming we would all ride together but when we got there we couldn’t find them so we waited outside for a bit only to discover they had went ahead without us.
ry%3D400

We went ahead and did our ride then.

ry%3D400

No matter how hard I try I CANNOT scream at the start of this ride!

After RnRC we headed to ToT with Hunter sitting it out.
ry%3D400

Some pictures in the rain as we headed to our lunch ADR
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Yes… We are taking pictures here people!

Finally one without people trying to cross in front of us.
ry%3D400

Then we headed to check in for our ADR at one of my favorite places!

50’s Prime Time Café!!

Some picture while we waited to be called
ry%3D400

Hunter is always at home in front of a stove!

Hulu Hooping?!?!
ry%3D400

Nah--- just picture posing

The 50’s menu if you are interested
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Our fabulous Server Cindy and Chef Eddie who came to the table to discuss Hunter’s allergy
ry%3D400

Cindy decided to take a load off her feet and have a seat with us.
ry%3D400

To start we got the Onion Rings
ry%3D400

I can’t resist the Fried Chicken so that is what I went with. Since Hunter wasn’t splitting it with me though I went with all Dark Meat and subbed corn for the greens.
ry%3D400

As always the fried chicken was cooker perfectly. Crispy skin juicy insides and Delicious!!

Apparently no photo of Hunter’s meal. He had ordered the Chicken Pot Pie and for some reason when it came it came with a piece of gluten free toast as the crust. I hope they didn’t give someone else a Regular Pot Pie that needed the Gluten Free!

He enjoyed his pot pie once he had the correct version.

Unfortunately no viewfinders in which to check out the desserts…
ry%3D400

Hunter was brought a cupcake for his Birthday
ry%3D400

And I ordered the Boston Cream Pie as I had only had a bite in December and wanted to try more of it this time!
ry%3D400

Overall this meal was delicious and FUN! Cindy gave us attitude every time she walked by even if she wasn’t stopping at our table. It’s a place you can enjoy the food and if you are willing the antics make everything a blast!

Great photo on TOT!

I love the photos as you guys are waiting out the rain. Michael cracks me up.

I will say that I loved the onion rings at 50's Prime Time; unfortunately, we did not enjoy the rest of the food. Your dessert looks yummy. I do like the antics there and the theme...reminds me of our kitchen growing up.

So totally love your RRC photo. I'm the same way, the dang start to that thing gets me every time. OMG and the rain photos with your random friends. U should have asked them to join you for dinner ; )

Your friend chicken looks awe-some! How were the onion rings? Sitting here watching the opening nfl game and so wishing I had some of them and a big ole beer.

That fried chicken is making my mouth water! Yum.

I'm really looking forward to the Rock N Roller coaster since we don't have that on the west coast :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter