It's Magical! A 10yr Anniv Dining Report with Extras! Updated 9/4!!!

Hunter did well ordering that cake and it looks delicious. You pork two ways also looks very good. Glad I got to go with you guys later in the week. :goodvibes

Wow, what a great dining report. I just finished reading about your Anniversary dinner at California Grill. My wife and I have celebrated our Anniversary's here several times over the years and always had wonderful evenings. Thanks for taking us around on your wonderful vacation and I can't wait to read your next post.

:lovestruc Such a sweet surprise. And the food looks amazing! CA Grill is on the top of my to-do list...:thumbsup2

What an absolutely amazing anniversary dinner. Your food looks absolutely amazing and is making me so hungry as I eat my not so amazing bowl of corn flakes this morning.

What a wonderful husband you have to get that gorgeous cake. It was truly beautiful. If he would like to text my husband and give him some pointers for my bday trip that would be appreciated ; )

What a wonderful anniversary meal. My DH & I actually have a reservation there for our anniversary in October. That cake is absolutely adorable. What a lovely surprise. :thumbsup2

We love, love, loved dining with you for your special Anniversary dinner at one of my favorite restaurants - anywhere!!! Thanks for including our son and his girlfriend. Gotta say that I love your chef connections. ;)

The cake was beautiful and I'm glad that you were surprised. Hunter did a fantastic job!

I've fallen behind on my DIS subscriptions once again but have just finished reading about your wonderful anniversary dinner at Cali Grill. It looks like a fabulous evening and that cake was gorgeous! How sweet of Hunter to arrange that little surprise for you! :goodvibes

Your anniversary dinner looked wonderful! And that cake! I've always wanted to do something special like that but it's usually just DH and me for our trips so I'm not sure if we could really eat it all.

Wow, it's so awesome that you are friends with one of the chefs at Disney! :goodvibes I'm looking forward to more updates. I'm sorry your meal at Yachtsman was unimpressive, but I'm glad they got it sorted out for you once you emailed them. For what its worth, we have had nothing but great meals there. I hope you give them a try in the future again but I wouldn't blame you if you didn't.

Hi Paula,

I just found and read the entire thread (over the last few days). I'm really enjoying it - thanks. I also enjoyed both Barb's and Brenda's. We have some overlap in restaurants with you for our upcoming December trip.

A couple of semi-personal questions if you don't mind. First, what does your screen name refer to? Also, when you mention taking light rail to the airport, which airport, ie are you in Northern or Southern CA? I'm just curious.

One of our ADRs is Yachtsman Steakhouse, so I hope your email will help make our experience better.

Finally, on all our ADRs towards the later part of our trip have my niece's celiac marked, so it's good to know that they took care of Hunter.

Thanks again for an enjoyable couple of evenings.

One of these days I will get to CG (I just keep telling myself that and one day it will come to be).

Your pork looks heavenly as does Hunter's steak.

And what a beautiful and wonderful surprise from your hubby for your anniversary. The cake is so very pretty. I wouldn't have wanted to cut it.

So... do you have a CA GRill ADR for your next trip?!?!

I didn't want to cut it either!! Would have been fabulous to have been able to preserve it but alas it is cake so better to eat and enjoy!!

Amazing gorgeous anniversary cake (( love it! )) Hunter did really good, just beautiful : ) I know it's hard to surprise your wife or husband and especially during a trip when your together all the time ... Nice job saying he was talking to his Mom!
Your entire anniversary dinner and day overall was a complete success with time together during the morning and afternoon, with friends for dinner and a sweet ending with that gorgeous cake!

It really was a great day! He did very good! I was so shocked!

Aww, that is so sweet of Hunter!
The cake looks fabulous, what a wonderful surprise :-)

He's a keeper!!

Didn't want to post this with your anniversary comment since it's sooooo off topic (( well kinda )) But reading your comments after your trails end chicken and waffles and wanted to mention that in Las Vegas & San Diego they have an incredible restaurant with incredible chicken and waffles ( actually bacon waffles ) It's called Hash House A Go Go and here's the link
http://www.hashhouseagogo.com

Knowing you took a quick trip to Disneyland I'm thinking you may live near Calif. or Vegas so thought I'd toss it out there if your ever near one. They also have one in Orlando but personally I like disney restaurants during our disney trips, so maybe if your visiting Vegas or San Diego give it a try ... Everything's made to order and farm fresh too : )

WE actually went to Vegas after this WDW trip. My husband and his friends went to Hash House the last time they were there so it wasn't on the Agenda this time. I'm actually in NorCal but I try and get to DL a few times a year!

Wow! What a thoughtful hubby!!! Your cake was beautiful and everything looked so wonderfully delicious! Looks like you had a lovely anniversary celebration! :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

It was a delicious meal and the cake was totally the icing on it!

How sweet of Hunter! I've been following your posts for quite some time and the two of you seem like the perfect couple....so well suited to each other! Congratulations on your anniversary!

Thank you! We like to think we are well suited! We've made it 10years... Another 50+ to go right?!?!

Paula, I know I don't post much on your thread but I absolutely love reading them! Your reviews are so amazing and fun to read. Thank you so much for sharing them here.

And, you have an awesome hubby! That cake is absolutely adorable. And it looks like it was really yummy too. So glad that you had an extra magical anniversary dinner. Nothing better than to celebrate it with great food, great friends and in the greatest place on earth! :thumbsup2

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoy the reviews... Sometimes I just want to quit writing them but I like being able to share our experiences.

Wonderful review from your anniversary dinner at California Grill!!! :goodvibes Reading about the presentation of that beautiful cake and seeing the video again brought a few tears to my eyes, just as it did when it actually happened. Such a sweet and thoughtful thing for Hunter to do...he's a pretty awesome guy! :thumbsup2

I know that I've told you this before, but I just have to say it again. Your dining report from your 5th anniversary trip was the inspiration for my 25th anniversary trip to WDW. Though it wasn't easy to persuade my DH, your report gave me the confidence I needed to be persistent. I never could have imagined then that five years later I would not only have met you both but also have the great honor of being present at your 10th anniversary dinner.

I can't thank you enough for allowing me to join you on this anniversary trip...reading about the last one was great but actively being a a part of this one was sooo awesome! :goodvibes

Yes, he is awesome. I love him and think I'll keep him!

I remember you telling me you had read the 5year report. What a small world we live in that we've been able to meet and experience two trips together now.

Thank you Barb for being a part of our special night and trip!

Aw, that is so sweet! The cake looks delish!

It was!

Paula, I just had to delurk to tell you that I actually got a bit misty over those gorgeous cake pics. I don't post much, but have really enjoyed getting to "know" you and Hunter through your wonderful dining reviews. Thanks for letting us all share your special day with you. Hope you have many more happy anniversaries!!

Thank You! I still get tears to my eyes every time I think of his surprise! He is awesome!

Hunter did well ordering that cake and it looks delicious. You pork two ways also looks very good. Glad I got to go with you guys later in the week. :goodvibes

I was sad you weren't there for this dinner Beth! I am glad we got to enjoy CA Grill a few days later with you though.

I love your reaction to the cake, Paula. Very sweet!

Thanks Tina!!

That cake is adorable. Go Hunter!

Yes Hunter is amazing!

Wow, what a great dining report. I just finished reading about your Anniversary dinner at California Grill. My wife and I have celebrated our Anniversary's here several times over the years and always had wonderful evenings. Thanks for taking us around on your wonderful vacation and I can't wait to read your next post.

Thanks for following! I'll be updating soon!!

:lovestruc Such a sweet surprise. And the food looks amazing! CA Grill is on the top of my to-do list...:thumbsup2

What night will you be there Tania?!? I wonder if any of our plans overlap??

What an absolutely amazing anniversary dinner. Your food looks absolutely amazing and is making me so hungry as I eat my not so amazing bowl of corn flakes this morning.

What a wonderful husband you have to get that gorgeous cake. It was truly beautiful. If he would like to text my husband and give him some pointers for my bday trip that would be appreciated ; )

It was a very special night and dinner!! I still can't believe he organized the cake on his own!! No hints or tips from me at all!! He's a resourceful guy!!

What a wonderful anniversary meal. My DH & I actually have a reservation there for our anniversary in October. That cake is absolutely adorable. What a lovely surprise. :thumbsup2

Congrats on your upcoming Anniversary!! When will you be there in October? We are dining there (at least) twice on our upcoming trip.

We love, love, loved dining with you for your special Anniversary dinner at one of my favorite restaurants - anywhere!!! Thanks for including our son and his girlfriend. Gotta say that I love your chef connections. ;)

The cake was beautiful and I'm glad that you were surprised. Hunter did a fantastic job!

WE loved having you join us! I was happy to have your son and girlfriend there as well! I hope she had a good Birthday!

I've fallen behind on my DIS subscriptions once again but have just finished reading about your wonderful anniversary dinner at Cali Grill. It looks like a fabulous evening and that cake was gorgeous! How sweet of Hunter to arrange that little surprise for you! :goodvibes

I've fallen behind on updating so it's quite all right!!

He is a wonderful guy!!

That cake was SO beautiful!! What a nice touch for your 10 year anniversary!

It was awesome!!

Your anniversary dinner looked wonderful! And that cake! I've always wanted to do something special like that but it's usually just DH and me for our trips so I'm not sure if we could really eat it all.

I think they do the mini cakes which aren't as elaborate but might be an option?

Wow, it's so awesome that you are friends with one of the chefs at Disney! :goodvibes I'm looking forward to more updates. I'm sorry your meal at Yachtsman was unimpressive, but I'm glad they got it sorted out for you once you emailed them. For what its worth, we have had nothing but great meals there. I hope you give them a try in the future again but I wouldn't blame you if you didn't.

We are friends with a few of the chefs at Disney but closest with Chef Eddie. He is a great guy and truely holds the Disney spirit!

Yachtsman is probably someplace we won't return too... It's a combination of food and service there and when one or both has been lacking on all our trips we just can't bring ourselves to return.

Hi Paula,

I just found and read the entire thread (over the last few days). I'm really enjoying it - thanks. I also enjoyed both Barb's and Brenda's. We have some overlap in restaurants with you for our upcoming December trip.

A couple of semi-personal questions if you don't mind. First, what does your screen name refer to? Also, when you mention taking light rail to the airport, which airport, ie are you in Northern or Southern CA? I'm just curious.

I used to be a Stampin' Up demonstrator so that is what that was referring too...

I Live in San Jose for work so I take the lightrail from the room I rent to the bus to the airport...

One of our ADRs is Yachtsman Steakhouse, so I hope your email will help make our experience better.

Hopefully so!

Finally, on all our ADRs towards the later part of our trip have my niece's celiac marked, so it's good to know that they took care of Hunter.

Thanks again for an enjoyable couple of evenings.

Disney is great about dealing with allergies. Your niece will eat well!

Yay you're back here. Trust me when I say this has not been a good day but seeing you back to this report has made me smile :)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Hey everyone… sorry it’s been so long since I updated! A lot of stuff going on with both working a lot and personal stuff. Plus this is a day of dining that wasn’t so great so I have been dreading doing it but better to get it done so I can move on! I only have 5 weeks left to finish this report so lets get cracking!!

May 2 saw us waking up to a very rainy morning… Our plans were Epcot with a FP+ scheduled for Test Track timed with Brenda and Michael.

ry%3D400

We arrived before they did so we headed to Mouse Gears to find some head coverings!

Hunter trying on a number of hats… personally I think he should have gone with this one!!
ry%3D400

Maybe this one?
ry%3D400

Here we go!!
ry%3D400

But alas he did not go with any of those and I actually didn’t catch a picture of the one he did get but I’m sure it shows up in some future pictures!

We also purchased 2 umbrellas as Hunter wasn’t willing to Poncho up!

From Mouse Gears we headed to meet Brenda and Michael in front of Test Track to use our FP+ to discover it wasn’t running due to the rain… I guess I should have expected that!!

About this time I got a text from Barb saying she was going to be at the Rose & Crown Pub for a bit and would we like to join her there to get out of the rain. Sure! Let’s go!!

Not having had breakfast we decided a little snack was in order.

The Scotch Egg!
ry%3D400

It’s an egg encased in sausage… that makes it breakfast food right?!?!?

We shared a piece with Barb and offered some to Beth who had just arrived but Beth declined.

This scotch egg was better than the first one I had tried. I think the first one wasn’t fried quite long enough but this one was delicious!

We also enjoyed a drink with our Scotch Egg. I had the Strongbow Cider and I can’t remember what Hunter had!

After enjoying our drinks with our company it was time to head out from England and make our way to France. The rain had let up some thankfully!

We were seated pretty quickly and soon Phillip was presenting us with a complementary drink.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Cheers!
ry%3D400

At lunch this day we had Brenda and Michael, Beth, Hunter and myself.

I started with the French onion soup but I failed to get a picture… Here is one I recycled from a previous trip.
ry%3D400

I enjoyed it as I always do from here!

Hunter went with the crepe
ry%3D400

Crêpe à la Tartiflette de Savoie (Crêpe from the Alps)
filled with smoked ham, onions and potatoes, topped with melted reblochon cheese

Unfortunately this was not what either he nor I expected to be served. This was dry and actually crispy… Two things you don’t think of when ordering a crepe!

For myself I had ordered the quiche
ry%3D400

Quiche Lorraine (Famous Ham and Cheese Quiche)
The famous Ham & Cheese quiche served with a mixed green salad

This was okay but after having some of the scotch egg and the soup I just wasn’t hungry enough for it. I think I ate a little less than half.

Hunter was presented with the Chocolate Mouse for his Birthday
ry%3D400

And I was presented with the Profiterole for our Anniversary
ry%3D400

I think I snitched a Madeline but otherwise shared the desserts with the rest of the table.

Les Chefs was okay... nothing spectacular stood out and Hunter's Crepe is something we wouldn't order again. Phillip was great with the complimentary drink and desserts but overall the meal wasn't a winner for us.

Upon leaving the restaurant it was still raining so we decided we would go hang out at the ESPN Zone for awhile…

Before leaving Epcot we found a Photopass Photographer hanging out under an eave so decided to get some pictures.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We took the boat to the Boardwalk where we found this sign…
ry%3D400

Um… it IS raining!! Not sure why these signs were needed outside but I guess they need to make sure people are aware.

We took a peek inside the Boardwalk Bakery
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Not being hungry though we declined on any purchases there instead progressing to the ESPN Zone where we had a few drinks.

Some Grape Bombs
ry%3D400

Our Awesome Server Brandon
ry%3D400

More Grape Bombs and a Long Island
ry%3D400

After the drinking we decided we better have a little snack… so we got the Chicken Wings
ry%3D400

Beth with her Martini with extra Cucumbers
ry%3D400

We spent several hours at the ESPN Zone and had two servers. The First was Brandon and we cashed out with him before he left and tipped him well and the second I don’t remember her name but she was also great so we made sure she got tipped well also.

After a relaxing afternoon it was then time for the most confusing dinner of the trip…

NEXT UP: Flying Fish

Great update Paula! Les Chefs was kind of a miss for us last time too. Nothing was especially bad, but nothing was especially good either. Oh well, at least you had good company along with complimentary drinks and desserts. :thumbsup2

Great rain pics!

What is a "grape bomb"? Inquiring minds want to know. :rolleyes:

Your dining report is great! :goodvibes

I also have had a poor dining experience at Chefs...I probably won't be going back anytime soon.

Also what is a grape bomb?

I cracked up when I saw your picture of the sign on the Boardwalk DURING the rain...because DH and I took a picture together, while wearing our ponchos in the pouring rain, and both of us were pointing at the sign. Talk about avoiding a lawsuit...because you know there's some moron (excuse my language) who would slip because of running or horsing around on the boardwalk and if that sign wasn't there, they would surely sue Disney for not putting a sign! DH, the boys and I cracked up every time it was raining and we walked by one of those signs. :)

We liked lunch at Les Chefs when we were there last month, but we ordered different things than you did. I've had the quiche there before though, and although it tasted good, I agree it was nothing spectacular compared to other food I've eaten there. Last month, we all shared the flatbread with bacon and onion which DH and I loved (the boys didn't like it...more for us!), and DH and I each had the Croque Monsieur which was fantastic. I also love their baguette that they bring to the table. I've never gotten dessert there. We usually get something for dessert elsewhere in the WS. This time we fell in love with dessert from the ice cream place in France. We can't say enough good things about that ice cream! :)

Enjoying your dining report, and hoping all is well since you've been so busy and have so much going on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter